Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I drive up and down a fairly steep grade every day to work (route 250 over Afton mountain to I-64 in VA), and it's readily apparent which truckers are familiar with the mountain and which ones are not or are just newbies in general. From what I've observed the ones that follow basically what you describe get down the quickest and I never really notice much burning brake smell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

jonathan posted:

Most driving schools teach 10psi as a max sustained application. Another thing to note, I believe that applying brakes, then letting off, then applying brakes to keep your speed in check is worse (as in more heat) than constant application at a lesser pressure.

And I've been told the exact same thing....180 degrees different! That stab braking is better than constant braking. Here is the thing to think about though, both Jonathan and myself have done it different and made it down mountains for a long rear end time without causing fireballs or lighting our brakes on fire. So both ways work.

Also it depends on the engine and what RPM the engine brake works the best at, I remember on my old ISX cummins that they claimed to burn 650 HP at something retarded like 2300 RPMS with a 400 HP engine, so if you have an engine manual in your truck, take a peek at it and see what it says. Also, I've never engine braked at 2300, but was known to machinegun down a hill at 2100 with it hammering away no problem.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Swift teaches stab braking. Not that that's a ringing endorsement.

Shadokin
Mar 6, 2004

ijustam posted:

Good christ new trucks sound awful. Are old engines exempt? Like could you buy a 1990s engine, rebuild it, and throw it in the truck and not have to worry about it?

For every state that isn't california, yes. California has this glorious organization called carb that in its wisdom has decided to require dpf on all trucks. Different year of trucks have different years they are required to meet the guidelines.

The best part? No one really knows what the long term effects are of putting a dpf on older engines. What they do know is that it adds a lot of back pressure to the system, lowering fuel mileage, and that most older trucks on the road today can't even qualify to have one because they generate too much soot. So they test and if it's too much soot? Have to do an in frame on your engine. Then they test again where it still might generate too much soot and then you either buy a new truck or no longer operate in california.

Isn't it awesome?

Shadokin
Mar 6, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

Isn't that sort of what a glider kit is?

Pretty much. Glider kits have reman'd engines and then everything else is typically brand new. The benefit is that you only have to meet the emissions requirement that were in place for the year of your engine.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

InterceptorV8 posted:

And I've been told the exact same thing....180 degrees different! That stab braking is better than constant braking. Here is the thing to think about though, both Jonathan and myself have done it different and made it down mountains for a long rear end time without causing fireballs or lighting our brakes on fire. So both ways work.

Also it depends on the engine and what RPM the engine brake works the best at, I remember on my old ISX cummins that they claimed to burn 650 HP at something retarded like 2300 RPMS with a 400 HP engine, so if you have an engine manual in your truck, take a peek at it and see what it says. Also, I've never engine braked at 2300, but was known to machinegun down a hill at 2100 with it hammering away no problem.

Yeah I can't argue but I wonder if there is testing somewhere that would show brake temps at the bottom of the hill. I would be pretty interested. Of course being in Alberta now we don't really have hills or turns or traffic... Some of the offroad stuff has some decent hills but nothing like the 24km hill coming out of Merritt BC towards Kamloops.

Edit: http://www.crashforensics.com/papers.cfm?PaperID=36

Interesting. If all your brakes apply with equal pressures, either method works fine, but if trailer and tractor or different relay vales crack open at different pressures due to wear and tear, stabbing the brakes works better because constant pressure braking may not force all the brake pots to do their share of the work. Stab braking will force all of them to work.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 19, 2014

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

warcake posted:

In europe, especially with volvos, its rare you'll find anything but their own version of that style of gearbox, called the I-shift. We rarely have problems with them, drivers love them, they are easy to repair, clutch lasts over 500,000km usually. Theres no synchros to wear out, and every sensor can be gotten to without removing the box. Only problem is when you leave it in "A" and let the air run down with the engine off you can't start it till someone blows the air up.

and the newer ones have GPS in them which learns the gradients of hills to get better fuel economy and crazy poo poo like that.

The only auto I've ever driven was a little DAF, and it was the biggest piece of poo poo ever, it wouldn't change down out of top gear until it was literally about to stall out.

Powershift posted:

The engine will rev up to whatever you force it to rev up to, around 3k valves will meet pistons. Around 3500 it will build an inspection window in the block.

The engine kill won't stop the driveline from running the engine up to whatever it wants to.

Brother in law had one of these in his workshop the other day, brand new Mack Titan, some kid who's family owned a transport business letting him do his first solo run, first downgrade he hit while loaded he just let it run out until the piston's escaped, apparently he was just waiting for the engine brake to kick in.

Vovo
Aug 12, 2005
Grand Luxe
So is the verdict out yet whether you should stab the brakes or not when going downhill? Not that I really need the info, I'm daycabbing in The Netherlands.
Anyway, it's been a while since nutcup posted so I present:
Truckers Delight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egcXvqiho4w
(from The things you find on youtube)

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Vovo posted:

So is the verdict out yet whether you should stab the brakes or not when going downhill? Not that I really need the info, I'm daycabbing in The Netherlands.
Anyway, it's been a while since nutcup posted so I present:
Truckers Delight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egcXvqiho4w
(from The things you find on youtube)

Stab braking by letting it get up to your safe speed and then reducing by 5mph at a time is the best way in the real world. My suggestions were old news.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

"What series Detroit is this?"
"It's a DD15"
"NO TOM IT'S NOT A VOLVO"
I don't even know what to say about that.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Tommychu posted:

"What series Detroit is this?"
"It's a DD15"
"NO TOM IT'S NOT A VOLVO"
I don't even know what to say about that.

Sounds like it's time for a piss test.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
Hey fellas, about to head out on a 6,000 mile cross-country (USA) road trip, and I figured truckers know a thing or two about minimizing the pain of extended time on the road. Are there any particular cushions/other things I can purchase/do to make my ride more comfortable? This trip is being made in an econobox. I plan to get a Spotify account and load up a ton of podcasts to make the long trip less mentally fatiguing. I'd like any tips you've got on how to ease the physical pain of sitting in the same position for hours at a time.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
If you keep your wallet in your back pocket, don't. I also like to have my seat far enough back that I can move my legs around a bit when using the cruise.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Jared592 posted:

Hey fellas, about to head out on a 6,000 mile cross-country (USA) road trip, and I figured truckers know a thing or two about minimizing the pain of extended time on the road. Are there any particular cushions/other things I can purchase/do to make my ride more comfortable? This trip is being made in an econobox. I plan to get a Spotify account and load up a ton of podcasts to make the long trip less mentally fatiguing. I'd like any tips you've got on how to ease the physical pain of sitting in the same position for hours at a time.

Having done the same thing (in a Penske truck, and I asked a similar question here first), an Audible account and a book-on-tape of essays by David Foster Wallace made the trip much, much, much better.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Jared592 posted:

If you have to piss, just stop and piss. This gives you a chance to stretch as well as be not miserable. Adding a few hours to a 6,000mile trip isn't a big deal.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

What is that shiny metal cylinder attached to the front by the hood?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A Melted Tarp posted:

What is that shiny metal cylinder attached to the front by the hood?

Air cleaner. There's a big filter inside of it. Most modern trucks stick it under the hood because modern engines sit so low. It's basically an aesthetic thing at this point.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Well, other than the massive replacement intervals on duals. Though those new honeycomb air filters last forfuckingever too so yeah. Pretty much just a ~Peterbilt Cowboy~ thing.

InterceptorV8 posted:

Sounds like it's time for a piss test.
Piss tests don't determine stupidity, unless that piss is on a live wire of some sort. It was my foreman who said that too, which I guess says a lot about my shop.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 28, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Jared592 posted:

I'm not a trucker but I recommend amphetamines and techno or Motorhead. You're likely to get where you're going faster, too

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Jared592 posted:

Anything you put on the seat is more likely to hurt than help. If you smoke, avoid doing so excessively. Staying cool and hydrated is extremely important on a long trip especially this time of year (hope u gotz a/c br0). Coffee is good but don't overdo it, and energy drinks aren't great (too much sugar, and you crash quicker and harder- at least I always did).
Lots of little naps and jogs and rest stops do a world of good.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
I'm also not a trucker but I like beaded seat covers. I feel like it gives some extra butt airflow

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Tommychu posted:

Well, other than the massive replacement intervals on duals. Though those new honeycomb air filters last forfuckingever too so yeah. Pretty much just a ~Peterbilt Cowboy~ thing.

Piss tests don't determine stupidity, unless that piss is on a live wire of some sort. It was my foreman who said that too, which I guess says a lot about my shop.

I love the sound of the air getting sucked in with side cleaners.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's all fun and games until hard rime completely plugs off the pre-filters and all your power dissapears.

Internal air filters handle the situation a little differently

By the time it hit the filter, it's really no different than humid air.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

Jared592 posted:

Is going to be painful, no way around that. Get out and stretch often. Get audio books, and the Waze app. Mount your phone to the windshield near or in your line of vision but not as to block your view of the road. This will make going to dick with ita little easier but only marginally safer.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

0rganDonor posted:

Is going to be painful, no way around that. Get out and stretch often. Get audio books, and the Waze app. Mount your phone to the windshield near or in your line of vision but not as to block your view of the road. This will make going to dick with ita little easier but only marginally safer.
I'm not sure about other states, but if you're traveling through California, this is advice I'd be cautious about - state law says you can only mount things in a couple of certain areas:

quote:

(12) A portable Global Positioning System (GPS), which may be mounted in a seven-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver or in a five-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield nearest to the driver and outside of an airbag deployment zone, if the system is used only for door-to-door navigation while the motor vehicle is being operated.

Edit: it's CVC 26708 if you want to read more (there is more)

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Safety Dance posted:

Having done the same thing (in a Penske truck, and I asked a similar question here first), an Audible account and a book-on-tape of essays by David Foster Wallace made the trip much, much, much better.

Listening to the Louis CK channel on Pandora saved my life on a long drive.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Krakkles posted:

I'm not sure about other states, but if you're traveling through California, this is advice I'd be cautious about - state law says you can only mount things in a couple of certain areas:

Is this enforced in nanny-state cali?

Most states have stuff like this but usually I think it's used as a secondary reason to initiate a stop based on profiling. My wife has driven with a GPS in the middle of the window in NYS for years and had no issues.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Krakkles posted:

And this effects non-Californians how?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

tater_salad posted:

Is this enforced in nanny-state cali?

Most states have stuff like this but usually I think it's used as a secondary reason to initiate a stop based on profiling. My wife has driven with a GPS in the middle of the window in NYS for years and had no issues.
I've seen people pulled over for it but not cited - so yes, it's typically used as an excuse to stop somebody, but I wouldn't call it secondary.

InterceptorV8 posted:

And this effects non-Californians how?

Krakkles posted:

I'm not sure about other states, but if you're traveling through California

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Krakkles posted:

I've seen people pulled over for it but not cited - so yes, it's typically used as an excuse to stop somebody, but I wouldn't call it secondary.

It's secondary.
The first reason they want to pull you over is you're driving around a nice car in a bad area at 2am and the officer wants a reason to smell your car and see how nervous you are. But since it's not illegal to drive your car in a bad area at 2am they need other reasons..

Example. In a city that's known for it's less than upstanding characters, someone was pulled over at 2am and their truck smelled badly of weed. They smelled the weed and searched the car.. found several pounds. Case was thrown out because there wasn't a justification for the initial stop. Had they had a GPS in the window that's the "reason" for the stop, to either ticket or warn the driver of their obstructed view. .

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
Thanks for the tips fellas. On a side note, we're going to be hitting up Colorado and will plan to leave any pots within state lines, as I've heard the borders are patrolled pretty stringently.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I hate the side cleaners. They're noisy as gently caress with the windows cracked, especially at full boost doing 25km/h up hill. I also hate how Paccar (Pete n Kenworth) have the exhaust stacks behind the door, right in the way of the mirrors.

If I ever own my own truck, the requirements will be exhaust stacks behind cab, air filters under hood, and a way to get to the boot box and frame deck without touching the ground.

The more and more I truck, the more I miss my old 2008 Sterling day cab.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
I was having a discussion with a coworker about drug testing of truck drivers. I've been under the impression that most truckers who work for major/regional haulers (in the USA) are piss tested fairly frequently. I'm sure Goober's Trucking running fleets of dump trucks with worn out mudflaps in-state gives no fucks, but how often would the average interstate truck driver expect to be tested, realistically?

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Lots.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/drug-alcohol-testing/what-tests-are-required-and-when-does-testing-occur

TL;DR: You must piss clean pre-employement, your employer must randomly test, and you will be tested after certain accidents. If they think you're high they can drive you to the clinic right then.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Krakkles posted:

How about dash mounts? That particular code doesn't really seem to address them, but I'm curious if any states have addressed this (yet).

I have a phone mount on my dash (specifically for using GPS functions) - it's placed in the corner where the dash meets the windshield and A-pillar, but it's not mounted to the glass - it's affixed with (one of the strongest I've seen) suction cup to the top of the dash. It's just barely inside my field of view when driving; enough that when it pops up something saying I need to turn (even when muted), it'll get my attention. To be specific, it's this.

Code also address DVRs, but regulates them by stating only 30 seconds before and after an event may be recorded, if it's attached to the windshield, and needs stickers warning passengers of recording. Mine is attached to the rearview mirror mount, with only about an inch protruding below the mirror.

e: I'm curious about this both on noncommercial and commercial vehicles

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

I'm a bit confused about the California law, since there are things in other states that are legal, yet illegal in CA. Will CA pull me over for tint and no plate on my out of state pickup?

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
California is a stupid special snowflake that plays by its own rules and fellates out back by the dumpster.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

How about dash mounts? That particular code doesn't really seem to address them, but I'm curious if any states have addressed this (yet).

I have a phone mount on my dash (specifically for using GPS functions) - it's placed in the corner where the dash meets the windshield and A-pillar, but it's not mounted to the glass - it's affixed with (one of the strongest I've seen) suction cup to the top of the dash. It's just barely inside my field of view when driving; enough that when it pops up something saying I need to turn (even when muted), it'll get my attention. To be specific, it's this.

Code also address DVRs, but regulates them by stating only 30 seconds before and after an event may be recorded, if it's attached to the windshield, and needs stickers warning passengers of recording. Mine is attached to the rearview mirror mount, with only about an inch protruding below the mirror.

e: I'm curious about this both on noncommercial and commercial vehicles
Doesn't apply to dash mounts. It only stipulates the windshield.

InterceptorV8 posted:

I'm a bit confused about the California law, since there are things in other states that are legal, yet illegal in CA. Will CA pull me over for tint and no plate on my out of state pickup?
Truthfully, I live and drive in California in a vehicle without a front plate, and a different vehicle with "too much" tint. You will not likely be pulled over for it, but you CAN be.

two forty posted:

California is a stupid special snowflake that plays by its own rules and fellates out back by the dumpster.
:rolleyes:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

InterceptorV8 posted:

They can pull you over for it, but can't cite you for it, since you're complying with the laws of the state you're registered and resident in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

They can pull you over for it, but can't cite you for it, since you're complying with the laws of the state you're registered and resident in.
So I can drive my California registered car, or, say, a rental from Pennsylvania, in DC with a radar detector?

Not at all true, they can still cite for it.

Edit: Here's a newspaper column with advice from a retired CHP officer. TL;DR is it's enforceable, but in his estimation (and mine), most LEOs wouldn't enforce it.

http://www.redding.com/news/2011/dec/31/monty-hight-tinted-windows-legal-elsewhere-may/

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 30, 2014

• Locked thread