Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

tuyop posted:

It's practically useless unless you have a very specific skillset and ideals. If you're a knowledge worker who needs to help people face-to-face (think social workers, teachers, any medical professional) in order to feel worthwhile - which is most people in my experience - then outsourcing your life in order to satisfy your hedonistic desires will really not make you happy.

This sounds like typical mind fallacy and I don't think it's true of most careers that people choose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

tuyop posted:

It's practically useless unless you have a very specific skillset and ideals. If you're a knowledge worker who needs to help people face-to-face (think social workers, teachers, any medical professional) in order to feel worthwhile - which is most people in my experience - then outsourcing your life in order to satisfy your hedonistic desires will really not make you happy.

A better strategy is YMOYL's, which is like, "love your job as much as possible, but it behooves you to efficiently satisfy your wants and bank the rest so that when or if the day comes that you no longer love your work you can leave and do stuff you do love."
You can come to your own conclusion about how to live your life. It'll probably be a mash-up of lots of different sources (I hope).

Just because you can't or don't want to be Tim Ferriss doesn't mean that the book is useless. The constant lessons in applied automation - most memorably to me the idea that if people are coming to you for advice all the time, your workflow probably sucks - stick.

In my experience, the only way past hedonism is through it - if you're tempted by material stuff you need to indulge in it to see that it's not the right end goal. This, I think, is why Ferriss recommends that people get exactly what they want immediately (such as by leasing that Mercedes) in a non-permanent way. If a thing is really important to you, it's probably cheaper to at least rent than you think, and it probably matters far less than you think.

moana posted:

Tim Ferris is an idiot and TFHW is a terribly saleable mix of common sense and braggadacio. I'd toss it in a furnace, but burning poison is supposed to be bad for your lungs, so
Your concept of common sense is probably very different from most peoples'. If the book communicates the underlying attitudes of someone who makes $20k a month in side income (you), I take that as high praise.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 30, 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Jeffrey posted:

This sounds like typical mind fallacy and I don't think it's true of most careers that people choose.

Well then take out "which is most people." I should probably hedge that with "which is most people who are actually conscious of exploring their ideals and the purpose of their lives" since that narrows the set a great deal.

No Wave posted:

In my experience, the only way past hedonism is through it - if you're tempted by material stuff you need to indulge in it to see that it's not the right end goal. This, I think, is why Ferriss recommends that people get exactly what they want immediately (such as by leasing that Mercedes) in a non-permanent way. If a thing is really important to you, it's probably cheaper to at least rent than you think, and it probably matters far less than you think.

Yeah I can agree that this is a good way to learn, whatever your brand of hedonism is.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

No Wave posted:

Your concept of common sense is probably very different from most peoples'. If the book communicates the underlying attitudes of someone who makes $20k a month in side income (you), I take that as high praise.
Give me one quote from that book that's actually useful or insightful. Because here, let me copy-paste some completely idiotic useless quotes from his book just by randomly picking them off of Goodreads:

“Being able to quit things that don't work is integral to being a winner”

“Poisonous people do not deserve your time. To think otherwise is masochistic.”

“Alternating periods of activity and rest is necessary to survive, let alone thrive. Capacity, interest, and mental endurance all wax and wane. Plan accordingly.”

“Different is better when it is more effective or more fun.”

“Don’t follow a model that doesn’t work. If the recipe sucks, it doesn’t matter how good a cook you are.”

"Focus on being productive instead of busy.”

“If you spend your time, worth $20-25 per hour, doing something that someone else will do for $10 per hour, it's simply a poor use of resources.”

“If you let pride stop you, you will hate life.”

I don't even know what half of this is. The other half is boring rehashed motivational posters and common sense. Oh, poisonous people don't deserve my time? Wow, I didn't know that! Tim Ferris is a dolt who's made a shitton of money preying on people who want to be rich without working hard by pretending he doesn't work hard for his money. It's almost as bad as Rich Dad, Poor Dad. Not quite, but almost.

Folly
May 26, 2010
Those quotes, taken together, does make him sound a little manic. It sounds like he's one of those people who constantly has to be doing something. My mother-in-law is that way, which probably gives me a worse opinion of that personality trait than it deserves on it's own.

Hey, moana, what happened to the romantic lit writers thread? I can't find it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

moana posted:

Give me one quote from that book that's actually useful or insightful. Because here, let me copy-paste some completely idiotic useless quotes from his book just by randomly picking them off of Goodreads:

“Being able to quit things that don't work is integral to being a winner”

“Poisonous people do not deserve your time. To think otherwise is masochistic.”

“Alternating periods of activity and rest is necessary to survive, let alone thrive. Capacity, interest, and mental endurance all wax and wane. Plan accordingly.”

“Different is better when it is more effective or more fun.”

“Don’t follow a model that doesn’t work. If the recipe sucks, it doesn’t matter how good a cook you are.”

"Focus on being productive instead of busy.”

“If you spend your time, worth $20-25 per hour, doing something that someone else will do for $10 per hour, it's simply a poor use of resources.”

“If you let pride stop you, you will hate life.”

I don't even know what half of this is. The other half is boring rehashed motivational posters and common sense. Oh, poisonous people don't deserve my time? Wow, I didn't know that! Tim Ferris is a dolt who's made a shitton of money preying on people who want to be rich without working hard by pretending he doesn't work hard for his money. It's almost as bad as Rich Dad, Poor Dad. Not quite, but almost.
If they're so obvious, why do I see them violated almost all the time? Everything is obvious once you know it.

To pick one that you quoted:

quote:

This is actually something that very few people do. Tons of people go to grad school, go into debt, and build fragile lives that assume constant interest in a topic.

Four hour work week is how he gets peoples' interest, like how Millionaire Fastlane starts out about a Lamborghini. Also not sure why you're calling him a dolt.

I mean there is a dude who posted a thread in BFC who said that he started a $200,000+ a year passive income business because he read the 4-Hour Workweek. Obviously not typical results, but I don't know what other evidence of its potential usefulness is required. And he's not the only one to have been influenced by the book.

EDIT:

quote:

Doing less meaningless work, so that you can focus on things of greater personal importance, is NOT laziness. This is hard for most people to accept, because our culture [American] tends to reward personal sacrifice instead of personal productivity.

quote:

It's amazing how someone's IQ seems to double as soon as you give them responsibility and indicate that you trust them.

quote:

Being overwhelmed is often as unproductive as doing nothing, and is far more unpleasant. Being selective - doing less - is the path of the productive. Focus on the important few and ignore the rest.

quote:

Creating demand is hard. Filling demand is easier. Don't create a product, then seek someone to sell it to. Find a market - define your customers - then find or develop a product for them.
I mean this is all actionable. Tons of people haven't consciously recognized this stuff that "should" be common sense. It's no surprise at all that people find it useful.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 30, 2014

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Folly posted:

Hey, moana, what happened to the romantic lit writers thread? I can't find it.
The erotica thread went offsite a while ago, if that's what you mean (I think it's called Erotica Author's Forum if you want to search for it). The rest of us romance writers hang out in the selfpub thread in CC.

No Wave, if his writing helps you, more power to you. He comes off as a slimeball to me, and people who are not me, and his book made me want to throw it across the room. It reminded me of that guy in Mystery Men that was always saying poo poo like "If you only work to live, you will always live to work." Just over and over and over, and talking about how much he doesn't work, which is just stupid.

No Wave posted:

If they're so obvious, why do I see them violated almost all the time?
I mean this is all actionable. Tons of people haven't consciously recognized this stuff that "should" be common sense. It's no surprise at all that people find it useful.
Just repeating inspirational bullshit that people don't do isn't useful.

I actually liked reading The Millionaire Fastlane, despite the lolbertarian slant and victim blaming, because it gave me a really useful framework for assessing the passivity of different kinds of business systems and figuring out which side of the system (scale or magnitude) I could leverage most easily. Like, in one of his chapters he breaks down the following five types of systems and rates their passivity:

1. Rental Systems
2. Computer/Software Systems
3. Content Systems
4. Distribution Systems
5. Human Resource Systems

That was actually a useful new framework of looking at things, and it helped me decide what I needed to do as a next step in my publishing business.

If Tim Ferriss' book is the first time you're coming across the concept of "make sure your product fills a demand" then sure, it might help you. It would help you more to read The Lean Startup, since that book actually gives you a systematic process for figuring out whether your product fills demand, and gives you real ideas for how to assess demand, and has lists of questions you should be asking yourself in order to move forward and make decisions.

Aphorisms are useless without a process to back it up. The Four Hour Workweek is half aphorisms, half bragging, and it's made Tim Ferriss much more money than his actual businesses ever did. I think that's sleazy as gently caress, and I just plain don't like the guy.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

moana posted:

If Tim Ferriss' book is the first time you're coming across the concept of "make sure your product fills a demand" then sure, it might help you. It would help you more to read The Lean Startup, since that book actually gives you a systematic process for figuring out whether your product fills demand, and gives you real ideas for how to assess demand, and has lists of questions you should be asking yourself in order to move forward and make decisions.
Yes, it is a good book. It came out four years after Four Hour Workweek. When you start looking at the focus on lifestyle in 4 Hour Work Week and start thinking about applying lean startup methodologies to your own life decisions - testing out minimum viable products before big investments of time/money, etc etc - it gets interesting.

There are a lot of books I mentally group together that represent that new sort of thought, which prizes experience and reality-testing over having great big ideas. I like Nassim Taleb's work the best by far.

Also that is the strangest blog post to link to. It is entirely personal grievances against Tim Ferriss the person. That isn't a criticism of his book at all.

moana posted:

Aphorisms are useless without a process to back it up. The Four Hour Workweek is half aphorisms, half bragging, and it's made Tim Ferriss much more money than his actual businesses ever did. I think that's sleazy as gently caress, and I just plain don't like the guy.
I totally disagree that aphorisms are useless without a process. I don't really know how to elaborate here.

I wish you'd just started outright that you just didn't like him as a person so that I wouldn't have wasted everyone's time talking about ideas.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 30, 2014

moana
Jun 18, 2005

No Wave posted:

I totally disagree that aphorisms are useless without a process.
Okay, so we just disagree about this. I hate books full of aphorisms with nothing to back it up. There are plenty of books filled with new ideas and good writing that I can look to for inspiration and TFHW is not one of them. I think both of our posts full of his quotes will let people in this thread know if they should bother reading the book or not. If there's nothing more you think is useful in his book apart from that then that pretty much sums up my point.

quote:

I wish you'd just started outright that you just didn't like him as a person so that I wouldn't have wasted everyone's time talking about ideas.
I don't think they're separable when we're talking about how to live your life. I'm not going to take advice from someone I think is a slimeball on how to live my life. Someone who comment spams other people's blogs about his book is not someone I'm going to listen to about publishing books. I don't want to be that guy.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

moana posted:

Okay, so we just disagree about this. I hate books full of aphorisms with nothing to back it up. There are plenty of books filled with new ideas and good writing that I can look to for inspiration and TFHW is not one of them. I think both of our posts full of his quotes will let people in this thread know if they should bother reading the book or not. If there's nothing more you think is useful in his book apart from that then that pretty much sums up my point.

I don't think they're separable when we're talking about how to live your life. I'm not going to take advice from someone I think is a slimeball on how to live my life. Someone who comment spams other people's blogs about his book is not someone I'm going to listen to about publishing books. I don't want to be that guy.

But he did an A/B test and totally 'hacked' everyone by discovering that he sold 1.83% more books that way so FYGM??

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

From a few posts up...The last quote you gave is the most useful one, because it easily allows for the notion that his philosophy is good for some and not for others. I know a mechanic who tried to make that system work, felt "burnt out" trying to optimize his "empire" of grease monkeys under his thumb, and finally felt more satisfied when he scrapped 4 businesses and worked as a mechanic for someone else.

He had the acumen, the motivation, and finances were no longer an issue...but he didn't enjoy any of it until he was doing what he had been doing in the first place. Maybe his interest waned, but I found it interesting that the burnout was from doing things the "successful" way. All quote marks are from how he described it to me, in as sarcastic a tone as it seems.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

balancedbias posted:

From a few posts up...The last quote you gave is the most useful one, because it easily allows for the notion that his philosophy is good for some and not for others. I know a mechanic who tried to make that system work, felt "burnt out" trying to optimize his "empire" of grease monkeys under his thumb, and finally felt more satisfied when he scrapped 4 businesses and worked as a mechanic for someone else.

He had the acumen, the motivation, and finances were no longer an issue...but he didn't enjoy any of it until he was doing what he had been doing in the first place. Maybe his interest waned, but I found it interesting that the burnout was from doing things the "successful" way. All quote marks are from how he described it to me, in as sarcastic a tone as it seems.

Sounds a bit like the story of the fisherman and the businessman, although I can't remember if it's also in the four hour workweek or if I heard it again more recently somewhere else.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

balancedbias posted:

I've heard this sort of thing, but usually either:

a.) They're not making much more money after expenses rendering the effort pointless
b.) They're not doing it with an eye towards early FI (whether that means hiring a manager, selling the business, or making enough money so fast that you just stop)

It's only recently that b.) has entered the public consciousness. MMM was an internet sensation for a reason - peoples' minds are just blown by the concept. Our brains just skip over the idea. Even in Four Hour Work Week, Tim Ferriss took himself out of the process of his business almost accidentally.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

SpelledBackwards posted:

`the story of the fisherman and the businessman

This is posted in every Jimmy John's, which I always find funny since there are few businesses that grind their employees harder than JJ's.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Mr Money Mustache is getting trolled by a fake non-reader right now and doesn't seem to realize it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Mr Money Mustache is getting trolled by a fake non-reader right now and doesn't seem to realize it.

Got a link? I don't see anything obvious on the front page, hopefully it wasn't removed.

EDIT: nevermind found it, http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2014/07/17/is-mr-money-mustache-ruining-your-marriage/

Folly
May 26, 2010
Frankly, the email in his post his so automatically offensive to the women who read his that he couldn't have found a better post to draw more women into the comments on his side. No, I don't think MMM setup a false flag. But a lovely troll is a drat good straw-man.

Also, it turns out that I react with irrational anger towards abbreviations like DH = Darling Husband. I don't know why.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Folly posted:

Frankly, the email in his post his so automatically offensive to the women who read his that he couldn't have found a better post to draw more women into the comments on his side. No, I don't think MMM setup a false flag. But a lovely troll is a drat good straw-man.

That bit about SUVs seeing two cars ahead being a major selling point had me roll my eyes pretty hard. Seems like he's being trolled or using a sockpuppet to create content for a blog post.

I'm a cynical rear end in a top hat though.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I don't understand his rationale that "it can't be a troll because less people read this site than reddit!" You have been featured on TV and multiple mainstream websites and your site periodically chokes to death temporarily despite claiming you're dumping a lot of money on servers. You're not underground dude. It's an obvious troll.

quote:

Also, it turns out that I react with irrational anger towards abbreviations like DH = Darling Husband. I don't know why.

I hate DH as well and for awhile wondered if it was some euphemism for some other kind of partnership arrangement before I knew what it stands for. Just pretend it stands for designated hitter, that's what I do.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Nail Rat posted:

I don't understand his rationale that "it can't be a troll because less people read this site than reddit!" You have been featured on TV and multiple mainstream websites and your site periodically chokes to death temporarily despite claiming you're dumping a lot of money on servers. You're not underground dude. It's an obvious troll.

I hate DH as well and for awhile wondered if it was some euphemism for some other kind of partnership arrangement before I knew what it stands for. Just pretend it stands for designated hitter, that's what I do.

Read that as Designated Hitler and it made just as much sense in your sentence.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

silvergoose posted:

Designated Hitler
I now want to spend the rest of the workday coming up with valid uses for this term.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

silvergoose posted:

Read that as Designated Hitler and it made just as much sense in your sentence.

glad i'm no longer alone

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The Designated Hitler will round up all pitchers and permanently relocate them to the place they belong on the mound.

e: No wait, he'll lock them up in the bullpen.

e2: Okay okay now I've got it: "By order of the Designated Hitler all pitchers are to report to the bullpen immediately for Processing."

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 18, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Franz called in sick and will be out today, leaving us without our lead actor, this is an emergency, has someone called the designated hitler?

In short, I agree with Cicero.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Has anybody read the Four Hour Workweek? I'm halfway through and can't tell if I want to finish it or toss it in a furnace. His approach to FI appears to be "Hire India to live for you and sell workout supplements online"

There are nuggets of wisdom hidden within mounds of poo poo. I enjoyed it though.

The specific ideas are poo poo, but it was my introduction to the general idea of Financial Independence as a thing. It was always a loose idea i had in my head, that book just helped give it form.

I honestly don't think he enjoys his life, based on what I read in that book. All of the things he does for "fun" sound like stuff from a checklist that he wants to whip out and impress people with.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
The designated hitler is the guy at the hitler party who makes sure everyone stays in character. And gets home safe.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

tuyop posted:

The designated hitler is the guy at the hitler party who makes sure everyone stays in character.

So he's the Nazi Nazi?

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Inverse Icarus posted:

using a sockpuppet to create content for a blog post.

I thought the exact same thing.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

If anything I just wish I was able to make money using cheap tricks like that.

E. loving tablet autocorrect can't spell for poo poo

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 22, 2014

Folly
May 26, 2010

poopinmymouth posted:

I thought the exact same thing.

I'm not quite on that wagon, and I'll explain why. I mean, assuming the whole website isn't a complete farce, then it's not like the guy needs the money AND his core philosophy is about ignoring the poo poo you don't need. So if it's fake, it's most likely just laziness. If so, why make it so long? Basically, none of it adds up well enough for me to distrust it, especially given the number of times we've seen this same basic argument on /r/personalfinance. If anything is fake, the most likely part would be that he got it in an email instead of finding it on some forum editing it to make it look like an email. And it seems too long even for that. I mean, if he copies too much then you can probably plug it in to google and find where it came from. He's got to know that.

To try and kill a derail, we just replaced the two of our toilets that had a 3.5 gallon flush. Despite the amount of water they used, the 40 year old engineering on them was bad enough that they still clogged regularly. The best part? My wife decided that she wanted to do the work so that she knew how. And she did. I only helped to lift the old one out. I have no idea how long it will take them to pay for themselves because it's not easy to estimate toilet use. These are the two most used toilets in the house: the upstairs hallway toilet and the main floor toilet.

Next up: Adding insulation to the attic.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Folly posted:

I'm not quite on that wagon, and I'll explain why. I mean, assuming the whole website isn't a complete farce, then it's not like the guy needs the money AND his core philosophy is about ignoring the poo poo you don't need. So if it's fake, it's most likely just laziness. If so, why make it so long? Basically, none of it adds up well enough for me to distrust it, especially given the number of times we've seen this same basic argument on /r/personalfinance. If anything is fake, the most likely part would be that he got it in an email instead of finding it on some forum editing it to make it look like an email. And it seems too long even for that. I mean, if he copies too much then you can probably plug it in to google and find where it came from. He's got to know that.

To try and kill a derail, we just replaced the two of our toilets that had a 3.5 gallon flush. Despite the amount of water they used, the 40 year old engineering on them was bad enough that they still clogged regularly. The best part? My wife decided that she wanted to do the work so that she knew how. And she did. I only helped to lift the old one out. I have no idea how long it will take them to pay for themselves because it's not easy to estimate toilet use. These are the two most used toilets in the house: the upstairs hallway toilet and the main floor toilet.

Next up: Adding insulation to the attic.

Wait... You replaced them. With what?

PLEASE BE BUCKETS AND SAWDUST

Folly
May 26, 2010

tuyop posted:

Wait... You replaced them. With what?

PLEASE BE BUCKETS AND SAWDUST

HAH! Sorry man, I'm just not on your level. We got a couple of 1.25 GPF toilets.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Did not think I'd have something to contribute to toilet chat, but my fiancee and I just halted some major toilet overflowing without calling an off-hours plumber. And then I biked to CVS to buy store brand cleaning supplies. :toot:

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
My U-lock for the commuting bike is getting rusted out because of rain so I'm going to try and use some olive oil/dry bike lube to see if it can get going again. New lock are for poor people.

reflex fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 22, 2014

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
After learning about the horrors of high-fee investing, I recently moved my investments out of Edward Jones to TD Direct Investing. I'm happy so far.

Just now I decided to check my transaction history in Edward Jones to see exactly what funds my adviser was purchasing on my behalf. Here's what he seemed to have a hard-on for before I left: MACKENZIE CANADIAN ALL CAP DIVIDEND FUND SERIES A

code:
Management Fees:	1.85%
MER:	                2.35% 
Are those fees listed as bad as I think they are? I'm only paying a 0.44% MER for my funds at TD, and there's no comissions. I'm asking mainly so I can gauge how happy I should be that I'm out of that mess at the tender age of 26, rather than learning much later about the follies of high-fee funds.

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 24, 2014

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Rick Rickshaw posted:

After learning about the horrors of high-fee investing, I recently moved my investments out of Edward Jones to TD Direct Investing. I'm happy so far.

Just now I decided to check my transaction history in Edward Jones to see exactly what funds my adviser was purchasing on my behalf. Here's what he seemed to have a hard-on for before I left: MACKENZIE CANADIAN ALL CAP DIVIDEND FUND SERIES A

code:
Management Fees:	1.85%
MER:	                2.35% 
Are those fees listed as bad as I think they are? I'm only paying a 0.44% MER for my funds at TD, and there's no comissions. I'm asking mainly so I can gauge how happy I should be that I'm out of that mess at the tender age of 26, rather than learning much later about the follies of high-fee funds.

Yes, they're terrible.

The Management Fees should be a portion of the MER if that is what they are reporting, so you're losing 2.35%/annum in that fund; 1.85% of that is the management fees, 0.5% are other operating expenses.

Compare that to something like one of Vanguard's index funds with a total expense ratio of 0.1-0.2% and you're an order of magnitude of expense beyond where you need to be.

Generally the return of any fund is going to be variable, but the expense ratio will be far less so, so optimizing that down will over time tend to give you better results.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Yes, they're terrible.

The Management Fees should be a portion of the MER if that is what they are reporting, so you're losing 2.35%/annum in that fund; 1.85% of that is the management fees, 0.5% are other operating expenses.

Compare that to something like one of Vanguard's index funds with a total expense ratio of 0.1-0.2% and you're an order of magnitude of expense beyond where you need to be.

Generally the return of any fund is going to be variable, but the expense ratio will be far less so, so optimizing that down will over time tend to give you better results.

Insanity. Turns out I'm averaging 0.38% with TD, with commission-free trades. So 0.38% vs 2.35%.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Man, using TD's mutual fund switching thing with my LIRA is way worse than using an actual trading platform through QT.

That's all, really.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

reflex posted:

My U-lock for the commuting bike is getting rusted out because of rain so I'm going to try and use some olive oil/dry bike lube to see if it can get going again. New lock are for poor people.

Buy some wd40 and dont be a cheapskate.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jul 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Has anybody read the Four Hour Workweek? I'm halfway through and can't tell if I want to finish it or toss it in a furnace. His approach to FI appears to be "Hire India to live for you and sell workout supplements online"

I am going to write a book called "The Eighty Hour Workweek"

When you open it up the first page says "Get back to work"

The other pages are blank.