Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

If someone came in this thread asking for an app to keep themselves exercising, you guys wouldn't bat an eye. Are any of you actually parents? An app would make it more like a game, which would keep the kids motivated and interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirkCameronCrowe
May 26, 2014

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I am looking for an app that will help keep my daughters exercising throughout the summer. I was thinking a yoga app (I have done yoga and the 4 year old loves to do the poses too) or something along those lines.

The problem is that the three apps I saw had not been updated for 2 years and had less than 50 reviews. Do anyone know of an app I might have overlooked or an exercise app that can be set to younger kids.

If they're into the zombie buzz going around right now there's Zombies, Run! (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/zombies-run!/id503519713?mt=8). I personally haven't tried it, but the idea of it is really neat and people say it gives you a good workout.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Nintendo Wii. It was basically created for that poo poo.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

maduin posted:

Nintendo Wii. It was basically created for that poo poo.

If we're getting into non-iOS suggestions here, the one thing the Xbox One isn't completely terrible at is it's fitness stuff with Kinect.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Thanks for the actual suggestions.

The reason I ask is because summer can lead to some really hot days. So instead of sitting inside and just watching tv or playing board games with them, I was looking for a little more active approach.

My daughters are 2 and 4 so they are not into the Zombie set up. My wife saw this app (C-Fit Yoga)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/c-fit-yoga-classroom-fitness/id549707617?mt=8

I had originally planned on doing yoga with them but my videos may be a little too much for them. So I started looking for yoga/dancing and general exercising apps to use with the girls that could be set up specifically for that age range. But, as I originally stated, many of the apps have not been updated or too small reviews. This app itself has not been updated in 2 years and has only 8 reviews (all within the week that it was updated 2 years ago) that all gave it a 5 with glowing reviews (seems suspicious).

That is why I was asking for help.

Edit: If you have any ideas, I would still gladly accept them. But now that you are guys are mentioning the Wii, I may look into some other their games (I have a Wii and a Wii Fit board but I always forget that I have it)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I was thinking that a local classifieds would be better. You could grab some watercraft second hand maybe. Can you describe how a fitness app actually works with toddlers and preschoolers? They're too young to track or gamify actual fitness activities, so what does a kid friendly fitness app actually look like? Is it just game ideas like tag variations and stuff?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Sega Go Dance Is supposedly fun, from a friend who has it. I haven't tried it, though. It is a game though, not a fitness app that monitors workout activity.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

tuyop posted:

I was thinking that a local classifieds would be better. You could grab some watercraft second hand maybe. Can you describe how a fitness app actually works with toddlers and preschoolers? They're too young to track or gamify actual fitness activities, so what does a kid friendly fitness app actually look like? Is it just game ideas like tag variations and stuff?

The few apps I looked at had yoga poses that kids can do. Things like that that are low intensity are great. Also, apps where it gets the kids up and dancing around would work too.

If there are no real app set ups like that, I understand. I was just looking for some information or better knowledge of the app environment.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Don Tacorleone posted:

For non-pocket chat, there's a rumor that Apple wants to get into Home appliance systems, like controlling your home via an iphone (think Nest). It'd make sense, coupled with the Beats+Carplay acquisitions.

Personally I can't wait until my toilet tells me I should lay off the burritos due to high salt content in my poos

As an owner of hue, nest, sonos and dropcam, the idea of these gadget/services getting an MFI-like approval and having ios aggregate their functions at the system level just gives me such a woody.
[Example: pressing 1 button that sets lights to X, turns on music, changes temp of house, perhaps unlocks front door... Instead of launching 4 separate apps, waiting for them to load, then doing their one function.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Ha ha no you will have to buy all completely new doodads to work in the apple ecosystem and you will like it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
No I don't believe that to be the case this time.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Feenix posted:

As an owner of hue, nest, sonos and dropcam, the idea of these gadget/services getting an MFI-like approval and having ios aggregate their functions at the system level just gives me such a woody.
[Example: pressing 1 button that sets lights to X, turns on music, changes temp of house, perhaps unlocks front door... Instead of launching 4 separate apps, waiting for them to load, then doing their one function.

You can do pretty much all of that right now with Smartthings. Nest support is a little iffy I believe but the others are all in there.
http://www.smartthings.com/

Forbin5
May 24, 2014

rio posted:

Yes, but that would require active parenting.

Thats vintage.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I work at a pharma sales company that has outside sales reps across the U.S., and they're looking for some kind of iPad app for communicating back and forth throughout the day. The district managers want to be able to send their group activities to do and then respond back to questions they ask. It needs to be simple and straight-forward to use.

The workflow would be something like this:
  • DM sends either a single rep or the whole team an activity - go read X and send in your thoughts, or go read X and respond that you've done so
  • Rep can respond to the DM that he/she has read it and respond with what their opinion on it was
  • Direct communication between DM and single rep is required
  • Would like, but not needed, to have group conversation possible

Any suggestions are welcome, even if they aren't 100% what they want!

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
Doesn't iMessage allow for all of that?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What about email?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

kloa posted:

I work at a pharma sales company that has outside sales reps across the U.S., and they're looking for some kind of iPad app for communicating back and forth throughout the day. The district managers want to be able to send their group activities to do and then respond back to questions they ask. It needs to be simple and straight-forward to use.

• DM sends either a single rep or the whole team an activity - go read X and send in your thoughts, or go read X and respond that you've done so
  • Rep can respond to the DM that he/she has read it and respond with what their opinion on it was

Google around for "Group Collaboration" apps, there's tons out there that have varying feature sets. They all revolve around setting up projects/activities, assigning people to them, and facilitating conversations in app.

For an example, here's a list of features in the Flow app. There's lots out there that are similar though, with varying pricing depending on the app and the number of people you want using the application.

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

Accompli got updated today, now supporting Exchange a few other services.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

kloa posted:

I haven't used it in such an advanced fashion, just for personal use, but maybe something like SmartSheet ?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

kloa posted:

I work at a pharma sales company that has outside sales reps across the U.S., and they're looking for some kind of iPad app for communicating back and forth throughout the day.

Not iOS-specific and not free but maybe HipChat? BaseCamp also has that functionality but it's really more of a collaborative project management suite.

Edit: just checked and HipChat is free now for basic chat functionality (both persistent group chats and 1-on-1 chats). $2/user/month if you want video chat, screen sharing, and a few other features.

Lawen fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 29, 2014

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Quote != Edit

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

kloa posted:

withak posted:

What about email?

Ditto on the email. I don't see how that wouldn't cover everything. CC for group conversations or a mass email thing.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Glassboard, maybe? I forget how big they let you get with the free plan.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
PDF Expert got an update to be universal :dance:, that was the main thing holding me back on buying the new one. It also added an option for continuous vertical scrolling, which is nice since it seemed like everything but the default iOS PDF viewer snapped to individual pages.

And to compare with GoodReader (since that'll come up anyway), the main thing is that the UI feels a lot nicer to me. Feature wise they've been somewhat similar but GR's file management UI has always felt clunky. I think Documents (free) is like PDF Expert but without all the fancy PDF features. I think the only things (that I use) I'd miss is uh, 2-up viewing…I was about to say the extra crop options too but PDF Expert has some neat auto crop function now.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

It took me ages but I finally figured out what was causing me all sorts of problems with syncing my phone. Mother loving podcasts. I would have issues with the phone just not syncing up, freezing my iTunes or even just getting stuck at the finalization process. I had to delete all my podcasts on the phone and on iTunes to get my phone to correctly sync up.

Anyway, is Downcast still a Goon favorite around here? I'm looking for something that will keep my subscriptions updated in the background and be able to play where I left off. Sort like the Podcast app, but not lovely.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Sort of a split, there's the Downcast group and then there's the Pocketcasts group. I prefer the latter after using both.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I like Instacast. Later.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

One of these days I'll try out PocketCasts. It gets good reviews.

I did try Castro. I didn't care for it.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I used to use Downcast, but I like Pocket Casts a lot more. Cleaner interface, does what I want, syncing has been flawless for me between iPhone and iPad.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Downcast syncs to OS X, Pocket Casts does not. If that's something you need, there's really no comparison between the two.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

smackfu posted:

One of these days I'll try out PocketCasts. It gets good reviews.

I did try Castro. I didn't care for it.

You broke the "never try apps named after dictators" rule.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Hey guys, android user here. I use this app called aCar to keep track of maintenance/repair work that's done on my car and i'm kinda surprised it's not available on the iphone. Not only does it log repairs, but also for routine maintenance you can program in reminders (i.e. every 5000 miles, it will alert you to do an oil change). I think it also keeps track of your gas mileage too.

My nephew has an iphone 4 and just bought his first car. Can anyone recommend a comparable app for him? Thanks!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Gas cubby or Road trip are the two car expense trackers I know. I use road trip and like it.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

priznat posted:

Gas cubby or Road trip are the two car expense trackers I know. I use road trip and like it.

Thanks, do either of them allow you to program in your own reminders (i.e. change oil every 5000 miles, change timing belt every 100,000 miles, etc.)?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mister Fister posted:

Thanks, do either of them allow you to program in your own reminders (i.e. change gas every 5000 miles, change timing belt every 100,000 miles, etc.)?

It would be cool if an app did this, but how would it differentiate between driving your car, someone else's car, a bicycle, and a bus? Do you have a Bluetooth OBD plugin or something?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Road trip lets you set regular reminders, don't know about gas cubby.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Mister Fister posted:

My nephew has an iphone 4 and just bought his first car. Can anyone recommend a comparable app for him? Thanks!

Car Minder. I don't think it sends a notification when you need maintenance but it tells you in app.

tuyop posted:

It would be cool if an app did this, but how would it differentiate between driving your car, someone else's car, a bicycle, and a bus? Do you have a Bluetooth OBD plugin or something?

I think the idea is that you enter your odometer reading and amount of gas you put in every time you fill up and it calculates mpg, keeps track of mileage for maintenance, etc.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lawen posted:

Car Minder. I don't think it sends a notification when you need maintenance but it tells you in app.

I think the idea is that you enter your odometer reading and amount of gas you put in every time you fill up and it calculates mpg, keeps track of mileage for maintenance, etc.

That's a neat solution, actually.

Still want one of those OBD Bluetooth thingies.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

tuyop posted:

That's a neat solution, actually.

Still want one of those OBD Bluetooth thingies.

FYI if you do end up getting one get a wifi one, not Bluetooth. iOS doesn't have the right profile to communicate with the Bluetooth modules unless you're jailbroken and install a custom profile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Lawen posted:

Thanks, that's exactly how aCar works: Everytime you fill up, you enter in your odometer reading. Actually i think it also tries to sort of figure out by itself when you need to do your maintenance even without entering it in, based on average driving habits or something.

• Locked thread