Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

f_c_ posted:

Whats wrong with coming up from underneath when your taking the drain plug out?

For me that's a long way up at an awkward angle; it's hard for me to get torque on the filter. It also puts you right in the line of fire when the oil comes dripping down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I always did my NB from up top (even had a not-quite-scar from it on my left arm) but the one time I changed the oil on my sister in law's NA, I couldn't get it that way. No problem working through the passenger wheel.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Having an issue with the rear pads (99, NB). It appears that with the pad locating hardware installed (the brass bits that go into the caliper bracket that you then put the pads on) it's too tight for the pad. The inner pad is fine, but the outer one basically won't move once the pad is installed. Not sure why the hell it's happening. Took it apart, cleaned everything, and still having the same issue. I'm going to replace the brass bits that the pad sits on, but I think this is a recurring problem. Noticed it because after I replaced the front pads and bedded the brakes last night the one rear wheel was hotter than the rest. When I popped it off, the outside pad actually separated from the backing plate.

Thankfully I have a spare set of take offs that still have lots of meat left, but this is the second pad in the same location I've had the issue with, and I replaced the brass bits last time too. The caliper is fine, the pad just won't move once it's installed. Anyone have thoughts / advice? Next step is to replace the caliper mounting bracket I guess. I'm going to take a wire wheel to it to see if I can get the brass bits to seat any better.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
They only don't want to release? Not releasing is commonly the caliper (Or if you haven't gone to SS lines yet, possibly the lines) failing, it's a fairly common problem with Miata rear calipers.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Yeah I know about that. That's not the issue here. With the caliper removed it takes a very significant amount of force (I had to use a rubber sledge) to actually get the pad out of the bracket. It's a friction fit to push the pad into the bracket, and once it actually goes in the rubber mallet has to come out to remove it. The pad isn't the issue as both pads move freely on the inside of the bracket, and both pads (and the set of old OEM ones I tried) bind on the outside slot.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Have you replaced the old hardware and lubed it up real good? You gotta use copious amounts of brake grease on the hardware, the tabs of the pads, and where the tabs contact the caliper slots. Do that and the pads should slide right in. Also take the caliper pins out, clean and lube those up real good too.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 24, 2014

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

It's entirely possible I just wasn't using enough grease. I'll try that tomorrow.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Hit the ears with a file, I've had to do that on non-miata pads before.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

A combination of lots of grease, a wire wheel to the brass bits and the caliper bracket itself, and a bit of filing on the ears and it's good to go. Woo.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

FatCow posted:

Hit the ears with a file, I've had to do that on non-miata pads before.

Never had to do this on any car, ever. Even buying cheap rear end brake pads. Either way, it isn't going to hurt anything if you file it down and have working brakes. :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's all just floating around anyway.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Harmburger posted:

Not too much louder, noticeable, but not excessive. My wife has no complaints. It changes the tone, but doesn't overdo it on the volume.

Man, I am glad to hear another goon loving that muffler. It makes me wish I still had my NC. :unsmith:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Okay, drain holes have remain clear and I have every bit of water cleaned out of the car, carpeting is dry but has a very feint musty smell. Throwing it in the washing machine just won't work, is there a go-to auto fabric and carpet cleaner I don't know about?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

I've previously cleaned carpets with simple green and a hot spotter, but a shop vac might do in a pinch. Spray it down with a simple green/hot water mix, and suck as much moisture out with a shop vac as you can. Let it finish drying and reinstall.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Harmburger posted:

I've previously cleaned carpets with simple green and a hot spotter, but a shop vac might do in a pinch. Spray it down with a simple green/hot water mix, and suck as much moisture out with a shop vac as you can. Let it finish drying and reinstall.

I used some Bissel carpet cleaning solution last time but it left a weird odor. I'll pick up some SG later tonight.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Fingers crossed, knock on wood and all that but I put at least a hundred miles on the Miata today with nary a hiccup, so it looks like my infuriatingly intermittent misfire was indeed a lovely ground.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/4487932283.html

Thoughts on this as a drive-to-the-track car?

It's unclear what was done to the "built" motor besides a mild cam. Smog is going to be an issue.

quote:

After 4 years I am selling my miata. She's treated me very well, but I don't have the time or space to continue working on her the way I want to, so it's time to find her a new home. I did almost all the work on the car, except for the engine build which was done by Mike Haag at Haag Performance in Martinez.

The engine is what makes this miata special - it's a 1.8L engine from the 1994 and later miatas, and naturally aspirated is making ~135 hp at the wheels. In doing the build I wanted to keep the car on the street so did not put in extremely aggressive cams and kept a cat - these rob it of some maximum power but keep it very reliable and streetable. I drove it for about a year and a half and put over 5000 miles and a bunch of autocrosses on it and it has been completely bulletproof. It would be a great starting point for making gobs of power with a turbo or supercharger! Or it can be kept naturally aspirated and will continue to put down modest power forever without a hiccup.

I have made many other modest performance modifications over the years. I installed racing beat/flyin miata sway bars (they are identical except for color, I have FM front and RB rear). The flyin miata "stage 1.5" suspension kit with the Tokico shocks and FM upper shock mounts is a nice street/track compromise set of springs and dampers. Those shocks are also rebound-adjustable, which I have found is very nice for both keeping autocross times down and the girlfriend comfy on the way home. I put the 949 Racing 6UL wheels on the car and have found them to be fantastic - light weight and sturdy. Right now I have Bridgestone Potenza RE-11s on there, but they're getting towards the end of their life so you'll probably want to replace them sooner or later anyway.

Track necessities I have installed include the roll bar and race seat. The roll bar is a Hard Dog Hard Core M1 with the single crossmember. The race seat is a Kirkey 15" welded aluminum seat. I also have a 5-point harness that I use on the track. I typically just use the stock seatbelt for autocross and street driving because the 5-point harness is too much hassle when you are getting in and out of the car a lot, although it is fun to feel like a racecar driver when on your way to the grocery store.

Body and interior wise, the car is as you might expect for a 20-year old. The paint has the occasional ding, but no major scratches. One of the rear panels is cracked near the license plate where someone backed into my car in the parking lot at work (see the photo). The seats are in pretty good shape. The driver's seat has more wear than the passenger seat, and the stitching is splitting on the left side bolster, but that can be pretty easily patched. I have removed the stereo (I still have it) because one of the mounting points broke while driving on a particularly bumpy road. I haven't had time to reinstall it yet. Everything else is pretty good: the carpets are in good shape albeit a bit dirty, the dash is pretty cherry, all interior panels are in great shape.

So why am I selling the car? Fundamentally, I just don't have the time or space to keep her on the road anymore. Because of the built engine, it takes some work to pass smog. I need to take it to a tuning shop to get the emissions down - for example it's set to run a bit rich now and while that's good for power it isn't good for the nose. After getting a new job I just can't keep up with these necessary things. As a result, it has been on a PNO registration since March of this year. All it needs to keep it on the road is for it to pass smog. I periodically start it and run the engine to make sure it keeps going and the battery stays charged, but otherwise I have not been driving it for the past 2.5 months. Obviously if you want to take it off the road and make it a dedicated racecar then this doesn't matter.

I have the clean title in hand.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
He didn't go into specifics as to what's been done engine wise, but $4k wouldn't be too bad. However, you're in California and there are a million of them there and you have to deal with CARB.

I wouldn't drive to the track on the suspension, I'd swap it out with the Xidas ASAP.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Find out the details on what EMS it's running, and you really need the details on what was done to the engine to help tune it well. Even 4,000 seems like a lot for a car that's not tuned well, there might be a more serious issue why it needs to run rich. Normally you run a bit lean to get more power out of a N/A engine, but if it's running massive compression then he'd probably have to run it rich. His "running rich to get more power" is suspicious.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I wonder if I should buy this, pull the LSD and swap the wheels (my rears are a little untrue and not perfectly righted with counterweighting) and resell the car. http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/4488873525.html

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'd just buy it. A clean NA w/ a hardtop and LSD? Sounds like a good deal.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

blk posted:

I wonder if I should buy this, pull the LSD and swap the wheels (my rears are a little untrue and not perfectly righted with counterweighting) and resell the car. http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/4488873525.html

Solid idea.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'm still trying to get the VIN but as far as I can tell Cruise Control on a non-leather 96 = Popular Equipment Package = Torsen, right?

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Yeah http://www.miata.net/faq/Miata90-97A3.pdf

I like to use power mirrors as a guide because you can always see them in the pictures (they're bulkier than the manual mirrors).
On 94-96 power mirrors implies Torsen (but not the other way 'round because of the R-package obviously)

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Edit: drat, ad was taken down even though I was supposedly going to be the first person to see it tomorrow.

blk fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 27, 2014

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Hog Obituary posted:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/4487932283.html

Thoughts on this as a drive-to-the-track car?

It's unclear what was done to the "built" motor besides a mild cam. Smog is going to be an issue.

This one already sold too. Seller didn't say how much .

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

blk posted:

Edit: drat, ad was taken down even though I was supposedly going to be the first person to see it tomorrow.

Rule number 1 of craigslist -- have cash, be there right away. Anything else will result in you losing out on deals.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah especially with Miatas, any true good deal is gone within hours around here. You gotta have cash READY at home, not in a bank, and be ready to check it out immediately. I've missed out on deals because I had to work :argh:

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
which is why I feel like the prices this thread finds acceptable are all actually below market value. The "great deals" go quickly because the seller has clearly underpriced them. The market seems to say a clean NA2 with 100k miles and completed t/b and w/p will easily sell at $4000. And if that's what the market will bear, then that's what they're worth, right?

To expect to be able to easily pickup a nice car for $2500 is unreasonable unless you're willing to wait and wait and be ready at a moments notice for that one uninformed or otherwise in-a-hurry seller.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

leica posted:

Yeah especially with Miatas, any true good deal is gone within hours around here. You gotta have cash READY at home, not in a bank, and be ready to check it out immediately. I've missed out on deals because I had to work :argh:

When I bought my Miata I went to the ATM to get the cash. $3500 in twenties takes up a lot of room in your pockets.

I had to call my credit union first to up the daily withdrawal limit, but I wasn't letting this car get away.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
My miata appears to have oil on the front of the oil pan. I dont like the idea of taking the engine out to fix that gasket :smithicide:

blk
Dec 19, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Rule number 1 of craigslist -- have cash, be there right away. Anything else will result in you losing out on deals.

He refused to meet any time sooner than the time we arranged - he said "Soonest I can show it is 7.30 tomorrow"; so I said "OK, I'll see you then."

I met the PO of my current Miata 20 min after the ad went up.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Nocheez posted:

When I bought my Miata I went to the ATM to get the cash. $3500 in twenties takes up a lot of room in your pockets.

I had to call my credit union first to up the daily withdrawal limit, but I wasn't letting this car get away.

People here don't have coffee cans filled to the brim with 20s? No wonder why you can't get a sick Miata deal.

(i don't, I was being facetious. Pls don't hurt me)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hog Obituary posted:

To expect to be able to easily pickup a nice car for $2500 is unreasonable unless you're willing to wait and wait and be ready at a moments notice for that one uninformed or otherwise in-a-hurry seller.

Exactly, I've never been lucky enough to get a Miata this way and have always paid around market price, but I've gotten other cars very cheap because I had the cash on hand and was able to meet the seller right away. I have also missed out on deals because I was too slow getting the cash and/or setting up a time to meet the seller. You snooze you lose. I once picked up a Geo tracker for $500, cleaned it up and flipped it for 3k. You just have to be ready to jump on a deal if one pops up.

Phone posted:

People here don't have coffee cans filled to the brim with 20s? No wonder why you can't get a sick Miata deal.

(i don't, I was being facetious. Pls don't hurt me)

When I'm looking I always have cash stashed at home ready to go just in case. I don't even want to gently caress with an ATM, grab my cash and out the door I go :)

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Ahh, fantastic. Now if you can just provide me a home address and a work schedule?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Sigh, at least they left a note with insurance info.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

8th-snype posted:

Sigh, at least they left a note with insurance info.

And that's a fairly easily replaceable panel.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Beach Bum posted:

And that's a fairly easily replaceable panel.

I hope that makes progressive happy.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

God damnit, if I wasn't feeling lazy today... https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/4496074062.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

meatpimp posted:

God damnit, if I wasn't feeling lazy today... https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/4496074062.html

How good of a deal is that? I live quite nearby...