Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I'm probably over thinking this, how did they film the moon landing?

Bear with me. I understand that the lunar module landed on the moon, and the footage was recorded of Neil Armstrong stepping out of the lander and setting foot on the moon's surface. I get that.

Who set up the camera? Did Neil and Buzz leave the pod, report in to NASA, go back inside, grab the camera, set it up, turn it on, run back inside, and then do the big dramatic descending the stairs bit?

In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter, but I'm just curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

I'm probably over thinking this, how did they film the moon landing?

Bear with me. I understand that the lunar module landed on the moon, and the footage was recorded of Neil Armstrong stepping out of the lander and setting foot on the moon's surface. I get that.

Who set up the camera? Did Neil and Buzz leave the pod, report in to NASA, go back inside, grab the camera, set it up, turn it on, run back inside, and then do the big dramatic descending the stairs bit?

In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter, but I'm just curious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_TV_camera

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Tritium is very expensive (30k per gram is somewhere near right) but you need so little of it to 'paint' a display or watch that it doesn't factor greatly into the cost. You can get a tritium watch in the $100 range.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

On my breaks I like to go to websites that have tiny stories, or historical facts, or language stuff--little pieces of ideas that inspire creative thought. Any recommendations for sites like this that browse easy on a phone? In the vein of Futility Closet.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Is there a way to look up specific members on SA if you know their username?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&username=Alan%20Smithee

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Crankit posted:

OK I got some photos of the lightswitch. http://imgur.com/a/Lq1mf
I did a test last night, it's now really dim, the only way you can be sure it is glowing is to have a totally dark room (I used a small box as an enclosure), and then you really notice it as you look slightly to the side of it.

I remember when I first move in, just over 15 years ago, it was brighter than this, to the point where i caught it out of the corner of my eye while walking past at a dusky hour.

So can anyone tell if that thing's radioactive or not from the photo?

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
This is probably a strange question, but since Islam has an equivalent to Satan in Christianity, is there a Satanism equivalent too? Or is that solely isolated to western tradition?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

karl fungus posted:

This is probably a strange question, but since Islam has an equivalent to Satan in Christianity, is there a Satanism equivalent too? Or is that solely isolated to western tradition?

I don't know the answer to your question, but there are some things that seem to indicate a bit of a misunderstanding. Satanism is not the worship of Satan; indeed, I think many Satanists would identify as atheist and their beliefs could be considered more philosophical in nature than religious; and the use of Satan or paganist symbols is mainly to have a visual symbol and to rile up Christians. What the media portrays as Satan worship is certainly not organized as a religion in any real way and is likely practised, if that's the word, primarily by angsty teens in black makeup until they get tired of it and is an entirely separate thing from the group advocating, for example, this (who, as I said, would probably largely self-identify as atheist).

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Are there such things as hose-clamps/worm-gear clamps that are as thin side to side as a zip-tie? I can't find with google and have never seen anything like I imagine.

I got a wireless bike speedometer today, the sensor/transmitter mounts on the fork with zip-ties. I'm always removing the front wheel from this bike loading it into my trunk, removing from trunk and reinstalling the wheel. This thing is going to get banged up/out of position every time if I can't secure it tighter.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Are there such things as hose-clamps/worm-gear clamps that are as thin side to side as a zip-tie? I can't find with google and have never seen anything like I imagine.

I got a wireless bike speedometer today, the sensor/transmitter mounts on the fork with zip-ties. I'm always removing the front wheel from this bike loading it into my trunk, removing from trunk and reinstalling the wheel. This thing is going to get banged up/out of position every time if I can't secure it tighter.

Mount it on the rear wheel? One of these snap grip clamps might work. They are all about 1/4" width, which might work for you. If you do buy from them, make sure to look through their inventory to see if you need anything else. They have pretty much every mechanical part you would ever need.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

TATPants posted:

Mount it on the rear wheel? One of these snap grip clamps might work. They are all about 1/4" width, which might work for you. If you do buy from them, make sure to look through their inventory to see if you need anything else. They have pretty much every mechanical part you would ever need.

Mount to rear was my initial thought but since it's wireless it uses RF signals from sensor on fork to the display/computer and it's only got about 18" range max. Weak. Powered by a cr2032. I guess I could splice some more wire in on a wired one but this one's got some cool extra features like time and temp.

Might have to order some of those snap grip clamps you linked, could be real handy for lots of things, but really hoping for something steel/stronger for this.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 30, 2014

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

karl fungus posted:

Do you mean "are there analogues to the 'Black Mass' that are parodies of Islamic ceremonies?"

"Satanism" as currently practiced is kind of a red herring, for the reasons regulargonzalez stated. But the other question is interesting, and I hope someone has an answer.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

hallo spacedog posted:

Long shot, but has anyone every had any positive luck with any small business payroll companies? We have used Paychex, Heartland and I think one other but they are all terrible.
I use Intuit because they give a discount through Costco, and I find them adequate. The setup took forever and involved three thousand steps including them making a $0.12 deposit in my bank account and mailing me a postal letter that I needed to type in the code from. But now it works well.

I think QuickBooks will do it if you want to DIY.

I have a place local to me, a mom-and-pop place, that does payroll. Their fees were competitive with Intuit, but less automated (less websitey). I think I was so heavily invested into Intuit that I didn't switch, but I do try and support local business, and if I was starting over again, I'd do that.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

karl fungus posted:

It's not what you're looking for at all, but Yazidis worship a god who's sometimes identified with Satan. They aren't Muslims or Satanists, but there are at least parallels in the mythology.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

regulargonzalez posted:

I don't know the answer to your question, but there are some things that seem to indicate a bit of a misunderstanding. Satanism is not the worship of Satan; indeed, I think many Satanists would identify as atheist and their beliefs could be considered more philosophical in nature than religious; and the use of Satan or paganist symbols is mainly to have a visual symbol and to rile up Christians. What the media portrays as Satan worship is certainly not organized as a religion in any real way and is likely practised, if that's the word, primarily by angsty teens in black makeup until they get tired of it and is an entirely separate thing from the group advocating, for example, this (who, as I said, would probably largely self-identify as atheist).

quote:

"The statue will also have a functional purpose as a chair where people of all ages may sit on the lap of Satan for inspiration and contemplation."
:goonsay:

Yup, sounds like atheists.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I've been slowly but surely trying to teach myself how to code with code academy. I'm a bit better, but I just am not getting the amount of progress I'd like to see. Is there a video game that teaches you coding? Like Rosetta Stone, except the language is Java / C++?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Turtlicious posted:

So I've been slowly but surely trying to teach myself how to code with code academy. I'm a bit better, but I just am not getting the amount of progress I'd like to see. Is there a video game that teaches you coding? Like Rosetta Stone, except the language is Java / C++?

Not that I'm aware of. Hop into this thread if you've got any Java questions; we love to help newbies, because that's the kind of question that basically everyone in the thread feels qualified to answer. My standard advise is to work your way through the Trails Tutorials; they're a much better intro to Java than any book that I've ever seen.

Riddle me this:
Java code:
class Animal extends Object {};
class Cat extends Animal {};
class Dog extends Animal {};
class Tiger extends Cat {};

Set<Cat> catCage = new HashSet<Cat>();
What types can I put into catCage? What types can I pull out of catCage? Figure out the dang type system, and you'll be well on your way to mastering Java.

Gravity Pike fucked around with this message at 09:03 on May 30, 2014

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No wonder none of the .class files I was looking at made any sense.

Javascript != Java.

gently caress me, I hate code academy. That seems like something that should be right up front when I'm trying to learn coding. At least Python seems a bit easier, and I'm 24% done with that. Thanks for the help, I'll read through the trails stuff and post in thread, it'll make it a lot easier if I can talk it out with people.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Crankit posted:

So can anyone tell if that thing's radioactive or not from the photo?

Nobody can tell if that thing is radioactive just by looking at it. The vast majority of radioactive metals just look like lumps of metal. That just looks old. You could try taking it off the wall and hiding it under the sink for a day or so. If it still glows in the dark, then it is probably radioactive.

If physicists could spot radioactive material just by looking at in a photo, then the Manhattan Project would have been a hell of a lot easier.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:52 on May 30, 2014

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Turtlicious posted:

No wonder none of the .class files I was looking at made any sense.

Javascript != Java.

gently caress me, I hate code academy. That seems like something that should be right up front when I'm trying to learn coding. At least Python seems a bit easier, and I'm 24% done with that. Thanks for the help, I'll read through the trails stuff and post in thread, it'll make it a lot easier if I can talk it out with people.

The best way to learn is to start programming. Figure out something you want to program and start working on it.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I have poo poo luck. A while back I accidentally made a hairline crack where tank bolts are in a toilet. I'm just now trying to replace toilet. I was trying to remove nuts from anchor screws on the bottom. One nut came right off, the other nut won't come off because the screw is completely loose underneath the flange. This means that the nut won't come off because the screw turns with it which prevents me lifting the toilet due to screw being stuck underneath flange!!

There's no way to grasp the screw as I try to take the nut off.

What are my options that don't involve a saw or ripping the toilet out of the floor?

ijii fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 30, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ijii posted:

I have poo poo luck. A while back I accidentally made a hairline crack where tank bolts are in a toilet. I'm just now trying to replace toilet. I was trying to remove nuts from anchor screws on the bottom. One nut came right off, the other nut won't come off because the screw is completely loose underneath the flange. This means that the nut won't come off because the screw turns with it which prevents me lifting the toilet due to screw being stuck underneath flange!!

There's no way to grasp the screw as I try to take the nut off.

What are my options that don't involve a saw or ripping the toilet out of the floor?

Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Nut-Splitter-Tools-2-Pc-Set/dp/B0000AX88Q

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Go buy a cheap hacksaw, you can have that thing off in 10 minutes. Don't forget to buy new bolts while you're there, and a new wax ring if you don't have one already.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

stubblyhead posted:

Go buy a cheap hacksaw, you can have that thing off in 10 minutes. Don't forget to buy new bolts while you're there, and a new wax ring if you don't have one already.

Seems like I have to do this more often than the nuts come off nicely. Luckily it really is a 5 minute job with a cheap hacksaw blade.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

ijii posted:

Hammer to the base of the toilet, Remove toilet in pieces.

I'm serious, and it's what I'd do if I were a man without a hacksaw.

Alternately, If you've ever seen a toilet flange and toilet bolts, they rotate 90 degrees and slide in. You could, if this toilet is of particular importance to you, rotate the whole thing up to 90 degrees (or until it stops rotating, rotate the bolt 90 degrees, and remove the toilet, bolt and all.

I personally would not put that kind of effort into an item that can be purchased brand new for $75 and my existing unit was already broken.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Tritium is very expensive (30k per gram is somewhere near right) but you need so little of it to 'paint' a display or watch that it doesn't factor greatly into the cost. You can get a tritium watch in the $100 range.

Yeah, it's used widely in weapon sights that are usually <$300. You can even get compasses with tritium for like 70 bucks.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

photomikey posted:

I use Intuit because they give a discount through Costco, and I find them adequate. The setup took forever and involved three thousand steps including them making a $0.12 deposit in my bank account and mailing me a postal letter that I needed to type in the code from. But now it works well.

I think QuickBooks will do it if you want to DIY.

I have a place local to me, a mom-and-pop place, that does payroll. Their fees were competitive with Intuit, but less automated (less websitey). I think I was so heavily invested into Intuit that I didn't switch, but I do try and support local business, and if I was starting over again, I'd do that.

Thanks, Intuit was another one I was looking at. We do already use quickbooks so that could be another option.
Thanks for your help.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Schweinhund posted:

The best way to learn is to start programming. Figure out something you want to program and start working on it.

What would be the best language or ide for a game I want to do with Kairosoft level graphics (but more static)? Would Unity be a good option? I took a few programming classes years ago in high school and university so I have a bit of a notion what I'd be getting into but at the same time, that was many, many years ago.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My girlfriend's family have a 13 inch tall table that is great for sliding over your legs and ditzing around or eating, or pulling up to the couch. I want to buy one for myself, is there a name for this kind of table?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

regulargonzalez posted:

What would be the best language or ide for a game I want to do with Kairosoft level graphics (but more static)? Would Unity be a good option? I took a few programming classes years ago in high school and university so I have a bit of a notion what I'd be getting into but at the same time, that was many, many years ago.

I'm not an expert, but you might want to look into making html5 games which use javascript. That lets you make games that work in browsers and phones and doesn't require any type of installation by the user. There are game engines for that similar to Unity: http://html5gameengine.com/ Whatever you use, pick something that has a lot of documentation and community support. Unity has that but I think of that as being bloated but I could be wrong.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

My girlfriend's family have a 13 inch tall table that is great for sliding over your legs and ditzing around or eating, or pulling up to the couch. I want to buy one for myself, is there a name for this kind of table?

Bed tray?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I own a couple of rental properties and a house. In a year or so I plan to sell this house and buy a different one.

I run a small business (not real-estate related) and I am familiar with negotiating deals. It has been my experience that you want to be negotiating directly with the decision maker, and in lieu of that, as close to that person as possible. In the case of real estate, I am interacting with my agent, who is interacting with their agent, who is interacting with the buying/selling party, and then their response goes through the same chain. Sometimes when I get my answer back, I doesn't even correspond to the question I asked.

I can take a course to become a real estate agent, then get my license and hang it with a broker. I assume there is a broker who will allow that. I am mostly interested in doing my own deals, but occasionally represent a friend/acquaintance in a a deal. Maybe a couple of deals a year.

Is this a good idea or a bad idea?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

At 13" it wouldn't be *quite* enough height for me. :smuggo:

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

photomikey posted:

I own a couple of rental properties and a house. In a year or so I plan to sell this house and buy a different one.

I run a small business (not real-estate related) and I am familiar with negotiating deals. It has been my experience that you want to be negotiating directly with the decision maker, and in lieu of that, as close to that person as possible. In the case of real estate, I am interacting with my agent, who is interacting with their agent, who is interacting with the buying/selling party, and then their response goes through the same chain. Sometimes when I get my answer back, I doesn't even correspond to the question I asked.

I can take a course to become a real estate agent, then get my license and hang it with a broker. I assume there is a broker who will allow that. I am mostly interested in doing my own deals, but occasionally represent a friend/acquaintance in a a deal. Maybe a couple of deals a year.

Is this a good idea or a bad idea?

From what I've gleaned, you would need 2 deals a year for it to start being worthwhile to be licensed. More than that and it's probably a good idea. You still won't be negotiating directly with the other party if they are represented by an agent though.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

DNova posted:

From what I've gleaned, you would need 2 deals a year for it to start being worthwhile to be licensed. More than that and it's probably a good idea. You still won't be negotiating directly with the other party if they are represented by an agent though.
Are you an agent? Can you give me an idea of how difficult it'd be to garner 2 clients a year?

And what the fees are if I don't do 2 deals a year?

I assume I'd have to pay for MLS, for the lockbox access... do I pay the broker something, or does he just get a taste of my completed deals?

Danlee
Dec 7, 2009
I'm looking to buy some portable fencing so my nephews can play on my lawn without me fearing that they might run onto the street while I'm not looking. Do I have a better option than either buying a few sets of play fences like this or chicken wire?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

photomikey posted:

Are you an agent? Can you give me an idea of how difficult it'd be to garner 2 clients a year?

And what the fees are if I don't do 2 deals a year?

I assume I'd have to pay for MLS, for the lockbox access... do I pay the broker something, or does he just get a taste of my completed deals?

I'm not an agent, no. I would consider it if I got more active. I think the fees vary by region. My agent friend has to pay something like $650/yr for the MLS and the licensure isn't free. There may be other fees, especially if you want to call yourself a Realtor(R). The broker you work under will definitely want a taste. Not sure how much that is.

edit: $1500/yr for MLS and due, $50/yr for the license. Broker gets a piece, but it varies wildly she says.

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 30, 2014

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Danlee posted:

I'm looking to buy some portable fencing so my nephews can play on my lawn without me fearing that they might run onto the street while I'm not looking. Do I have a better option than either buying a few sets of play fences like this or chicken wire?

There are small fence kits for dogs you can use. You get a roll of material and stakes and you do whatever you want with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
From a cost effective standpoint, nothing really. Those octo-gate things keep them contained okay, but despite the huge size of them, the area isn't really any more than a 6' circle. I suppose you could buy two of them and make it an 8' circle, but aren't the ~$70/ea? For the few months they will be usable, it seems like it would be easier to just go inside when you want to surf the internet.