Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danlee
Dec 7, 2009

photomikey posted:

From a cost effective standpoint, nothing really. Those octo-gate things keep them contained okay, but despite the huge size of them, the area isn't really any more than a 6' circle. I suppose you could buy two of them and make it an 8' circle, but aren't the ~$70/ea? For the few months they will be usable, it seems like it would be easier to just go inside when you want to surf the internet.

Ideally it wouldn't be left in a circle like that. I'm thinking at the moment that DNova's suggestion is what I'll go with because I'd like something that can cover the entire perimeter of the lawn rather than just a small portion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

photomikey posted:

From a cost effective standpoint, nothing really. Those octo-gate things keep them contained okay, but despite the huge size of them, the area isn't really any more than a 6' circle. I suppose you could buy two of them and make it an 8' circle, but aren't the ~$70/ea? For the few months they will be usable, it seems like it would be easier to just go inside when you want to surf the internet.
Given the area (18.5'2) in the listing, the sides are each 30" wide, so the maximum (circumscribed) diameter is 5'. If you combined two of them, you'd be able to make a dodecagon with a maximum diameter of 9⅔'.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Well I stand corrected. It is not a 6' circle like I eyeballed mine to be, but 5'. I surrender my estimator card.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

photomikey posted:

At 13" it wouldn't be *quite* enough height for me. :smuggo:

Well maybe if you went for a walk once in a while...

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

If a fence makes you feel better that's great but you still shouldn't take your eyes off them for a second. Children are basically suicidal chimpanzees and if they can't find a way into the street chances are good they will find a way to brain each other with the fence.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Turtlicious posted:

My girlfriend's family have a 13 inch tall table that is great for sliding over your legs and ditzing around or eating, or pulling up to the couch. I want to buy one for myself, is there a name for this kind of table?

Coffee table?

KoB
May 1, 2009

DNova posted:

I'm not an agent, no. I would consider it if I got more active. I think the fees vary by region. My agent friend has to pay something like $650/yr for the MLS and the licensure isn't free. There may be other fees, especially if you want to call yourself a Realtor(R). The broker you work under will definitely want a taste. Not sure how much that is.

edit: $1500/yr for MLS and due, $50/yr for the license. Broker gets a piece, but it varies wildly she says.

MLS dues and License stuff varies depending on where you live and all that. And of course the number of deals to break even with that depends on the house prices in your area. In my office, the broker/company gets 27% (of the 2.5-3% from the sale) but we have a lot of perks with advertising, transaction coordinators, etc. It would most likely be lower if you were more independent.

But this is also one of the most expensive areas in the US/World so its probably skewed from that as well. :v:

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
Can anyone play this video?

Video

There are certain youtube videos that I can't play, they just have the loading circle for all eternity. It doesn't work in Firefox or Chrome. I reinstalled flash and cleared cookies and cache and still nothing. Browser safe modes also don't play the video. Help.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Meatwave posted:

Can anyone play this video?

Video

There are certain youtube videos that I can't play, they just have the loading circle for all eternity. It doesn't work in Firefox or Chrome. I reinstalled flash and cleared cookies and cache and still nothing. Browser safe modes also don't play the video. Help.

try turning the html5 player on or off: https://www.youtube.com/html5

and yes that works for me.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Schweinhund posted:

try turning the html5 player on or off: https://www.youtube.com/html5

and yes that works for me.

No dice, but thanks for the suggestion.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Why do Google search results often return pages that do not contain one of my search terms? For instance, I was trying to find out how thick the Moto 360 is, so I typed ["moto 360" thickness]. Four of the top five results didn't have thickness on the page. What gives?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Putting things in quotes tells google, "I'm super serious include this." ["moto 360" "thickness"] is all results with those two phrases. Otherwise, google tries to figure out what you mean, so it might include more popular results that include synonyms of the word "thickness".

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ah, I see. When did that start? Good to know about putting single words in quotes, too, though.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Is there some genetic component to tasting quinine? Tonic water doesn't taste bitter at all to me.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Maybe drinking enough gin & tonic desensitizes you to it. Doesn't taste bitter to me.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

James Garfield posted:

Is there some genetic component to tasting quinine? Tonic water doesn't taste bitter at all to me.

It could just be the brand on tonic water you are buying, some basically taste like Sprite while others are more bitter. There are also some that taste like loving garbage, so no matter how cheap it is don't but Faygo tonic water. (A mistake I will not make twice. )

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

James Garfield posted:

Most tonic water these days is heavily sweetened.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Thanatosian posted:

Most tonic water these days is heavily sweetened.

If either of you are in the US, quinine level in US tonic water is restricted and in general, most brands are sweetened with fructose syrup rather than sugar. Thus, less bitter than it should be.

That being said;

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/08/100802125848.htm

http://hmg.oxfordjournals.org/content/19/21/4278.full

How much you can taste quinine is variable.

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it
Can someone please recommend a candy coated popcorn.

http://www.amazon.com/Gourmet-Rainb...+coated+popcorn

This looks like exactly what I want but all of this companies candy coated popcorn has bad reviews. I don't want popcorn with weird flavors I just want colored popcorn with regular sweet candy coating.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

I got a nice old Schwinn a month ago and I've been riding it about twice a week. I can't ride more than that because my rear end (both the tailbone and the soft tissue) is in agonizing pain for days after a ride. Is it the seat (pretty sure it's original from 1980 or so), and I need to replace it? Or is it just my stupid rear end that needs to get used to being on a bike seat?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Hummingbirds posted:

I got a nice old Schwinn a month ago and I've been riding it about twice a week. I can't ride more than that because my rear end (both the tailbone and the soft tissue) is in agonizing pain for days after a ride. Is it the seat (pretty sure it's original from 1980 or so), and I need to replace it? Or is it just my stupid rear end that needs to get used to being on a bike seat?

That's a long time for rear end pain. You should bring this issue to your local bike shop, they may let you try other seats somehow and they'll have all kinds of information about fitting.

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it
Try wearing padded bicycle shorts.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Thanks guys. There's a bike shop around the corner so it'll be easy to make a trip. Would it be cheaper to buy some bike shorts or a new seat?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

^^ a decent saddle will run $80+, decent bike shorts will be $60ish though you can find cheaper ones (with less padding ofc)

Hummingbirds posted:

Feel free to ask in the Bicycling megathread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515357

It's tough to say definitively without seeing what the saddle looks like, and also seeing the fit. It could be any number of things. Generally speaking, plush gel saddles are actually more uncomfortable than narrow, less cushy saddles, especially for rides > 5 miles. It seems counter-intuitive -- surely more padding is better, right? -- but that's actually not the case; more padding means your weight is spread out and you're compressing soft tissue, which can lead to soreness and numbness. That said, traditional thin saddles can be uncomfortable at first; they are putting all your weight on two bony protusions known as your sit bones. They are evolved to take your weight but since most of us don't use them this way -- our chairs are padded, after all -- our bodies need a few weeks to get accustomed to using them. But after your body accomodates, thin saddles are much more comfortable than plushy gel seats.

It could also be that your fit is poor and your weight is too far back. Your weight should be distributed not only to your rear end, but also to your feet and hands.

Your best bet is taking your bike to a local bike shop (not an REI -- some place that specializes in bikes) and asking them to evaluate your fit and recommend a saddle ... or if it's just that it hasn't been long enough for your sit bones to get used to being used, htfu :)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jeza posted:

If either of you are in the US, quinine level in US tonic water is restricted and in general, most brands are sweetened with fructose syrup rather than sugar.
This is incorrect in two ways, one people rarely use actual fructose syrup because it hits super sweet in an unpleasant way, and two it's still sugar (literally sugar from fruit).

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hummingbirds posted:

Thanks guys. There's a bike shop around the corner so it'll be easy to make a trip. Would it be cheaper to buy some bike shorts or a new seat?

The answer is a definite "it depends" -- shorts and saddles both range from about twenty bucks for online clearance items to many hundreds for high-end stuff.

But it's not really an either/or thing. If you have a horrible tissue-smashing saddle, the greatest shorts in the world won't help. Bike shorts do have a bit of padding, but their main functions are to prevent chafing (regular clothes can have big bulky seams in surprisingly inconvenient places) and, at least if you have male anatomical bits, to keep your junk front-and-center and out of the way of the saddle.

If you're not used to riding, some butt discomfort is to be expected for a while, but not terrible pain for days. Something's very wrong.

But without more information, your butt pain could be caused by any number of things. It could be that the saddle is horrible, it could be that the bike is adjusted all wrong, it could be that the bike is completely the wrong size for you and it CAN'T be adjusted correctly, it could be that you weigh 800 pounds and need a saddle the size of a La-Z-Boy to spread the weight. See what the bike shop has to say, but be warned that they'll want you to buy a whole new bike. (And they're not necessarily wrong. Your "old Schwinn" might be anything from a delightful classic to complete garbage.)

And absolutely DO go check out the bike megathread linked a few posts above, and don't be afraid to ask questions or get opinions.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Aardlof posted:

Can someone please recommend a candy coated popcorn.
Take 1/4c of butter, melt it, add in 1/4 cup of sugar, cook for a minute or two until you can't see granules anymore, add 1/2 c popcorn kernels, shake vigorously until all kernels pop, then eat.

The stuff you link to apparently uses blue food coloring in addition to the above.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
I'd like to do some volunteer work in the US this summer, maybe in Detroit or LA, but that's just a preference and not a must. Are there organizations that offer some kind of volunteer database with different programs? Basically I'd like to do some physical labour like restoring/building houses or farm work.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Is Ray Romano a brilliant satirist or is he a huge pile of poo poo?

Ok so I just watched an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond where he has to discipline his kids or some poo poo and it gets weird. Everyone in the show is a horrible sitcom stereotype turned up to loving 11 and yet there doesn't seem to be a hint of self awareness about it. I just don't know, man.
Can someone with an degree in English or something help me figure this out?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Ok so I just watched an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond where he has to discipline his kids or some poo poo and it gets weird. Everyone in the show is a horrible sitcom stereotype turned up to loving 11 and yet there doesn't seem to be a hint of self awareness about it. I just don't know, man.

It's a garbage show tailored for the last common denominator.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

midnightclimax posted:

I'd like to do some volunteer work in the US this summer, maybe in Detroit or LA, but that's just a preference and not a must. Are there organizations that offer some kind of volunteer database with different programs? Basically I'd like to do some physical labour like restoring/building houses or farm work.

Habitat for humanity builds houses all across the US. look into that.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Hey how come ain't no land animals ever evolved eyes on the back of their heads? It seems like it'd be worth the biological resources to be able to see behind you. I mean some animals have side-eyes I guess but it seems like an extra pair would be pretty good.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Lawnie posted:

Habitat for humanity builds houses all across the US. look into that.

Thanks, will do.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

ChairMaster posted:

Hey how come ain't no land animals ever evolved eyes on the back of their heads? It seems like it'd be worth the biological resources to be able to see behind you. I mean some animals have side-eyes I guess but it seems like an extra pair would be pretty good.

Because natural selection operates by eliminating traits, not by adding them out of nowhere.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

midnightclimax posted:

Thanks, will do.

You can also try https://www.volunteermatch.org

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Every standup comedian's sitcom (except for Bernie Mac's, Chris Rock's, and Louis C.K.'s, because they had the sense to retain some degree of creative control) is written by a bunch of lovely hacks who just try to make it the same as every other sitcom.

Seinfeld at least had other comedians (Larry David, Carol Liefer) write his show, but it was terrible for other reasons.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

AlbieQuirky posted:

Seinfeld was terrible

Pretty edgy bro

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

regulargonzalez posted:

Pretty edgy bro

I did not like Seinfeld. :iceburn: :pcgaming: :fuckoff: :a2m: :gonk: :barf:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Can anyone identify these woody plants for me? They're growing in Edmonton.

Phone posting so hopefully I don't break tables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

photomikey posted:

Take 1/4c of butter, melt it, add in 1/4 cup of sugar, cook for a minute or two until you can't see granules anymore, add 1/2 c popcorn kernels, shake vigorously until all kernels pop, then eat.

The stuff you link to apparently uses blue food coloring in addition to the above.

Thank you this is exactly what I want but I would like to have it already prepared and packaged.

http://www.kernelencorepopcorn.com/oldfashionedsugarcorn.aspx

I did find this which looks great but the minimum they will do for a special order is three gallons of one color for $55 dollars and that's too rich for me.