Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Oh yeah, blingin' bangin' chrome rimzzz are mandatory.

I don't think anyone's crazy enough to take an ATV on the motorway, but dumber things have happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I've seen one on the motorway once, I've also seen some incredibly loud ones brapping around town.

Not sure what to think of them, on the one hand, get a real bike, on the other hand, quads are probably way more dangerous than any motorcycle.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

High Protein posted:

I've seen one on the motorway once, I've also seen some incredibly loud ones brapping around town.

Not sure what to think of them, on the one hand, get a real bike, on the other hand, quads are probably way more dangerous than any motorcycle.

I've been to a quad 'race' track a few times - incredible fun, but gently caress me the potential for injury is huge. They're so so unstable - I sincerely feel safer on my bike. In street terms I see them as bikers for people without the bollocks or skill to get a bike, though. Every single disadvantage of both cars and bikes combined into one chavvy dangerous, loud and unnecessary package.

Off-road and farming quads are awesome though.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

KozmoNaut posted:

For instance, it has to have a headlight, indicators, license plates, a catalytic converter and whatnot, but unlike cars, there are no requirements for seatbelts, ABS, ESP or any other safety equipment.

I know that, at least in the Netherlands, you need to wear a helmet if there are no seatbelts. Same goes for those humongous trikes old people like to rent in the summertime.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KARMA! posted:

I know that, at least in the Netherlands, you need to wear a helmet if there are no seatbelts. Same goes for those humongous trikes old people like to rent in the summertime.

That's a particular Danish quirk. It's registered as a car, so no helmet is legally required, even if ATVs are exempt from the seatbelt requirement.

That said, you would have to be a massive idiot to ride an ATV without a helmet. Those things are notoriously prone to flipping over, especially on grippy surfaces.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Oh I've also seen one of those covered BMW motorcycle things on the highway once!!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

High Protein posted:

Oh I've also seen one of those covered BMW motorcycle things on the highway once!!

They're paragons of sense and sanity compared to a quad though.

(I still sort of like the concept of those things though - I rode one around a carpark at a bike show once and it didn't seem any worse, dynamically, than any other scooter, and I'm a little surprised they weren't more successful)

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I think they're just so dorky that only the least-giving-a-fuckest people ever would want to ride one. Maybe they'll become ironically fashionable someday? And it's not like 'normal' scooters (and mopeds) decked out with chromed bits and windshields, which I see here non stop, aren't dorky as hell.

Edit: While you're allowed to ride the BMW C1 without a helmet, you're required to wear its seatbelt. I guess it's kind of safe as you're not liable to be flung off and smash your back on a guardrail, but I still wouldn't feel safe riding it without any gear, like in the promo pics. Make a lowside you're securely strapped in for optimum skin flaying.

High Protein fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 31, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Today I went for a ride and briefly came up behind a group of three Harleys behind a car. At first I just chilled at the back because it was a twisty road and you couldn't really expect them to all pass this car. Then the car started to pull away on them. For reference the car was a muscled-up Holden HQ Kingswood that looked like this:

How can anyone on A Motorcycle, regardless of how ponderous, be unable to keep up with one of those on a twisty road? In the end I was forced to be a huge dick and pass them all because they insisted on riding their brakes around every single corner.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Covered scooters are the doofiest looking things in the world. Look at it. :buddy:

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
I really would love to have a go in one of these;

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

That thing needs arm tethers or something. It's making me nervous just to look at that lady riding strapped in with no gear.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

High Protein posted:

I think they're just so dorky that only the least-giving-a-fuckest people ever would want to ride one. Maybe they'll become ironically fashionable someday? And it's not like 'normal' scooters (and mopeds) decked out with chromed bits and windshields, which I see here non stop, aren't dorky as hell.

Edit: While you're allowed to ride the BMW C1 without a helmet, you're required to wear its seatbelt. I guess it's kind of safe as you're not liable to be flung off and smash your back on a guardrail, but I still wouldn't feel safe riding it without any gear, like in the promo pics. Make a lowside you're securely strapped in for optimum skin flaying.

Holy poo poo that thing looks scary. A seatbelt on a bike? Really?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah I feel like that's the one case where "I want to be thrown clear of the wreckage" is actually the correct answer. I'm just imagining her crashing that thing and it sliding a couple hundred feet down the road on its side with her arm pinned underneath.... :unsmigghh:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah I feel like that's the one case where "I want to be thrown clear of the wreckage" is actually the correct answer. I'm just imagining her crashing that thing and it sliding a couple hundred feet down the road on its side with her arm pinned underneath.... :unsmigghh:

Doesn't prevent people from buying them, honestly. I have seen at least 3 in the area I live, blows my mind that people want them.

I don't mean to be anti-scooter (I have a lot of love for scooter riders, especially when they are only going somewhere by themselves and take the scooter instead of a car) but hooly gently caress that C1 is the dorkiest, dweebiest form of transportation I've seen. poo poo, I'd take one of those horrible, brick-like Bombardier ATVs long before touching the C1, and I'm one of the biggest BMW Motorcycle apologists I know.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Outside Dawg posted:

I really would love to have a go in one of these;

Don't these just fall over if you try to corner too fast and/or are powered by a really gutless car engine and are hilariously overpriced?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

*Allegedly* that little projection next to your shoulders is enough to stop your arm getting pinned under the bike if it slides. My bigger concern was getting a leg pinned in a crash, but again allegedly crash testing showed that was rarer on that than on a conventional scooter because of the seatbelt.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Slavvy posted:

Don't these just fall over if you try to corner too fast and/or are powered by a really gutless car engine and are hilariously overpriced?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0GHgmfd4kc

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They're paragons of sense and sanity compared to a quad though.

(I still sort of like the concept of those things though - I rode one around a carpark at a bike show once and it didn't seem any worse, dynamically, than any other scooter, and I'm a little surprised they weren't more successful)

There's usually a couple parked in the bike lot at the airport. I saw shitloads of them in Paris during rush hour however. I think it's one of those European things that just doesn't translate into English.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Linedance posted:

There's usually a couple parked in the bike lot at the airport. I saw shitloads of them in Paris during rush hour however. I think it's one of those European things that just doesn't translate into English.

Can't help but think a Piaggio MP3 with that sort of shell (or just a non-structural roof like an Adiva) would be a perfect poo poo-weather commuter tool. I'd never ride one myself, obviously, but I'm surprised nobody's tried it.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Do you still countersteer in these? Or is the leaning initiated mechanically?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Can't help but think a Piaggio MP3 with that sort of shell (or just a non-structural roof like an Adiva) would be a perfect poo poo-weather commuter tool. I'd never ride one myself, obviously, but I'm surprised nobody's tried it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo_zXe2UWKw

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Slavvy posted:

From what I've seen they will only lean so far, and it's a hydraulically assisted set-up. As far as speed goes IIRC they are capable of freeway speeds. Pricewise, well they seem to be right in the area of most new larger bikes, here's a Kneeslider article on them and the BMW Clever concept; http://thekneeslider.com/carver-and-clever-tilting-3-wheelers/

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

That is the single most awesome thing I have ever seen.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Tanbo posted:

Do you still countersteer in these? Or is the leaning initiated mechanically?

Don't be so hung up on counter-steering. :) No it doesn't, because the turning is accomplished by computer.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
One of my coworkers commutes all year on his Piaggio MP3 and he loves it. He also gets the sweet, sweet $40 a month to park in a heated, covered parking lot at our building, vs. the $215 a month to park a car deal.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
Is there some kind of germ that gets into a person's brain and turns them motorcycle-retarded?

Last year, because one of my friends wrecked his car, I suggested he get a bike. We both took the MSF class together and he got a VF500 and I got a Ninja 250. We had such a good time we decided to rope as many of our other pals into joining in. I bullied my brother and three of our friends into taking the class in April this year. One of those three friends seems to have caught The Squids.

He bought a used CBR250R, which was a fine decision (I rode it home for him, and my jealousy over fuel injection alone pretty much forced me to buy a CBR600), and proceeded to put miniscule numbers of miles on it. I think he's only up to ~1000 as of now. Every couple tens of miles he gets a new stupid idea about riding. I cannot escape hearing him talk about how he rides "everywhere," how small his chicken strips are, or how well he shifts gears (his description of which led me to believe if he rode my CBR he'd eat poo poo the first time he attempted going to second gear), or how he loves to get his knee down because he can really feel it catch the wind and help him turn like some kind of airbrake :aaaaa: It's a motorcycle, not a loving snowspeeder.

I don't like riding with him at all, either. First of all, he has some dumb Two Brothers can on it that causes genuine discomfort to anyone riding behind him. I wear Hearos under my helmet, and even through the visor and then the plugs, it's still annoying. He got this idea in his head that he has to give cryptic signals to those of us following him about... who the gently caress even knows. He sticks his feet out wildly, I guess to point out road imperfections. He veers around dark patches in the road where the DOT has repaired a pothole; I ride over these. He signals with his hand in various ways that confuse me, and he rides too fast and too slow at the same time somehow.

If you're leading him, get ready for flashing high-beams and beeping horns. He will flicker and beep at me as I'm coming to a stop, signaling left. I flip my visor up and wait, and he'll have a question like "Where are we going?" We're going left, genius. Keep following me and you'll know where we are when we get there. He flagged me down once to point out that I had a headlight out in my brand new bike. I'll let you guess what was really going on.

One time, he called me up to let me know he "had to lay 'er down," (exact words). I thought he had dumped it in a curve somewhere. Nope. He just forgot to put the kickstand down and gently laid his bike on the garage floor. Nobody does that. In fact, thinking back now I realize that he very nearly did the same thing to my bike in the showroom before I bought it.

This is since April.

Everything was going according to plan. We went from no motorcycles and no motorcyclists to six of us, with the aforementioned Ninja 250, VF500, and CBR250R in our hands as well as a '75 T500, a 2012 R6, a 2013 CBR600RR, a 2013 GSXR600, and two dudes considering picking up Ninja 300s. This would be the coolest thing if it weren't for the one guy effing it all up.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Frosty- posted:

he loves to get his knee down because he can really feel it catch the wind and help him turn like some kind of airbrake :aaaaa:

I will never stop laughing

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Count the blessings. I tried to get my buddies into riding. So far 1 got a bike, crashed it, and is scared of it. 2 are getting married instead. 1 will probably get one but his confidence often outweighs his ability, so I'm worried. One sold his cause he had a baby.

Not much success.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I tried to get some of my friends into motorcycling and the answers are all the same:

"My mom would die of terror"
"[something about organ donors]"
"I can't, I'd go like, TOO FAST, ha ha!"

And the one dude who seemed actually pretty interested but when I suggested he look at Ninja 250s his response was "gently caress you too, man." He wants a GSX-R750.

Frosty- posted:

We went from no motorcycles and no motorcyclists to (...) a 2012 R6, a 2013 CBR600RR, a 2013 GSXR600,

this sounds like a good idea

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Yeah, he really doesn't sound that bad to me. Nothing he's doing is really that dangerous. 1000 miles in less than 2 months isn't a bad amount. Maybe suggest taking an advanced rider course that will help iron out some of his dumb riding ideas (and would probably be good for everybody). You can also try to let him know some of the annoying stuff, otherwise how will he ever get better?

Also, I'd be kind of mad if I asked what the destination is and was told "just follow me and you'll see when we get there." Sometimes it's nice to know in case something happens or you drop out of sight.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah I don't think my buddy who crashed has done 1000 miles since last July. Kinda curious actually cause he says he rides it to work and stuff but I don't really believe him. I'll have to sneakily ask to see the title somehow lol.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
So far my recruiting efforts have amounted to 1 friend who after completing MSF with me instantly bought a Triumph Bonneville and proceeded to dump it like 5 times within a week. The last of which snapped off the shift lever and forced him to wait another week before even riding it again.

And then my dad and brother. Although my brother is so lazy and spoiled that my dad is buying his bike for him (I don't know why) he tried to have me and my dad go look at used bikes without him so he could hang out with his friends. I think he wants to come home and just magically there's a bike for him now! I don't even know if he wants to ride for real, I can't even imagine what could possibly motivate you to think "oh yeah I don't need to see the bike! A blurry cell phone pic is enough!"

I think he may have felt peer pressured (even though he passed the MSF with no issues that's a pretty low bar, look at me for example) into learning how to ride. I mean, when I was looking for a bike the thought of letting someone else go look at it/buy it for me never even crossed my mind.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Razzled posted:

my brother is so lazy and spoiled that my dad is buying his bike for him (I don't know why) he tried to have me and my dad go look at used bikes without him so he could hang out with his friends. I think he wants to come home and just magically there's a bike for him now! I don't even know if he wants to ride for real, I can't even imagine what could possibly motivate you to think "oh yeah I don't need to see the bike! A blurry cell phone pic is enough!"

This sounds like a terrible idea, even beyond the laziness and spoiled attitude, because someone who's that blasé about the idea of riding a motorcycle really probably won't care enough to keep his head on straight and be safe about it. He sounds like some people I know who just pick things like that up as a "new hobby" -- radio controlled quadcopters, rock climbing, kiteboarding, etc -- that they last about a month in before selling off all the stuff they bought and moving on to the next one. There's no serious interest in it, just something in between a childish "that looks like fun, I want it" and a really sad "I gotta do this to make myself seem interesting" thing.

If he just wants a bike to fart around on, get him a $800 dirt bike.

VVVVV yeah I think people who say that are split 50-50 between some kind of bizarre braggadocio "Oh, I'd just be SO AWESOME and SO EXTREME that my life couldn't even handle it" and actual "no I just have a baby's sense of self-control and I would literally power-wheelie out of the parking lot and into a police cruiser."

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 31, 2014

Niven
Apr 16, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

"I can't, I'd go like, TOO FAST, ha ha!"

A new guy that had just transferred in to our office at work explained to me that he could never ride because he has no conntrol when it comes to speeding and aggressive driving, so a bike would kill him instantly. Also he liked to drive drunk and didn't think that would go well on two wheels. This was an hour after I'd met him.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I have a co-worker that says the same thing. I kind of believe him because he can lose me in traffic when I'm on my bike and he's driving his dually pickup.

I told him that I'd help him find a bike if he'd take the MSF and get something like an SV, Ninja twin or GS twin. We will see I guess.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Sagebrush posted:

This sounds like a terrible idea, even beyond the laziness and spoiled attitude, because someone who's that blasé about the idea of riding a motorcycle really probably won't care enough to keep his head on straight and be safe about it. He sounds like some people I know who just pick things like that up as a "new hobby" -- radio controlled quadcopters, rock climbing, kiteboarding, etc -- that they last about a month in before selling off all the stuff they bought and moving on to the next one. There's no serious interest in it, just something in between a childish "that looks like fun, I want it" and a really sad "I gotta do this to make myself seem interesting" thing.

If he just wants a bike to fart around on, get him a $800 dirt bike.

Yeah, I spoke to my dad and we decided to go with the leads we had on EX250s instead of the 500s based on the level of committment shown thus so far. My dad still wants him to have a decent bike though since he seems to have a different interpretation of what's going on in his head so we'll see. Worst case, he lowsides in a parking lot and quits forever and I get a sportier bike to practice throttle control and tear up go kart tracks on.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

nsaP posted:

Not much success.
I found I had better success convincing guys to go along with this when I signed them up and paid in advance. This is how bad I wanted bike buddies.

Sagebrush posted:

this sounds like a good idea
:3: The R6 and CBR belong to Friend A from last year, and myself, respectively. We're newy, but we've got enough miles behind us now that we're not going to rear-end someone or fixate off a cliff, at least. GSXR guy I can't make excuses for, but I'm not super worried about him or anything.

Koruthaiolos posted:

Maybe suggest taking an advanced rider course that will help iron out some of his dumb riding ideas (and would probably be good for everybody).
Yeah, I've already decided we all have to take the ARC or whatever it's called, once everyone meets the 5000-mile requirement. Should be fine next spring, and then we'll get to go in a huge pack and take up half the class.

quote:

You can also try to let him know some of the annoying stuff, otherwise how will he ever get better?
Communicate? I can try, I guess...

quote:

Also, I'd be kind of mad if I asked what the destination is and was told "just follow me and you'll see when we get there." Sometimes it's nice to know in case something happens or you drop out of sight.
Right you are, so here's some context: the destination was his house, and he chose that destination before we left. He just prefers to go right where I was taking that left (I like to take streets that have low cop density, on principle), and got all nervous.

This dude just stands out because everyone else is great. My brother and his friend want Ninja 300s instead of R1s, which I take to be a very good sign; GSXR dude is a pretty sober, conscientious individual and I'll bet he's the least likely of all of us to do something dumb; R6 buddy has ridden like 10,000 miles already... and then there's dumbo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Much like the can-am this seems like a limp-wristed motorbike simulacrum intended for people who drive fast cars but don't want to get on something that falls over without supervision. And much like the can-am, it only seems legitimately useful to someone missing a leg or is physically handicapped in some other way.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That is the single most awesome thing I have ever seen.

Yes.

Frosty you're pretty lucky that your friends have any interest in riding bikes at all, honestly. What is extra senseless is I have friends who will happily tear up the beach on a 2 stroke dirtbike with no riding gear whatsoever but riding a road bike is, like, way too dangerous dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Man y'all have friends and poo poo. I just convinced my wife to take the course. 3 weeks of nervous wife syndrom incoming. On the plus side I get to fart around on the ninja for shits n giggles until she's ready to ride it.