Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Does Will have a boss or supplier? Cause these frat boys might get a visit from some really pissed off, actual gangsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I think I've found a new addiction with Stand Still. Stay Silent.. I'm only 87 pages in, but I blasted through those over four hours at work.

The TL;DR is mysterious illness causes the world as we know it to end. Starts out following the lives of a number of people in modern times, then fast forwards 90 years. The art is pretty good and the story is well written.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'm really not feeling Stay Still, Stay Silent as much as her last comic, sadly. I'm having trouble telling the characters apart, which makes getting to know them hard.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

I loved A Redtail's Dream but I'm getting really bored of Stand Still, Stay Silent. It's over 100 pages in and we haven't even gotten to the real meat of the story yet, or at least it doesn't feel like we have. In comparison, a redtail's dream had established and built up all the main characters and the main plot and was well into it's various story arcs at 100 pages.

To me, it feels like the author is more interested in showing us their cool ideas and pictures of a post-apocalyptic scandinavia than actually telling a well-paced and interesting story. And I'm just getting more and more bored with it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I really enjoyed the art and visual storytelling skills of A Redtail's Dream, and sprung for the book, but there's something about her writing that doesn't really interest me except in conjunction with her unparalleled artwork.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I'm still not sure why SSSS spent so much time in present day only to jump forward to when all the previous characters are dead.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
Yeah. It may be that eventually the story ends up flipping back and forth between time periods, but the structure of the story doesn't make that seem likely and all those early pages feel like a complete waste of time.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Rei_ posted:

http://www.monster-pulse.com/

Mindflayer Deer.

What's up with that

It's clearly a braindeer.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I haven't read Octopus Pie since the America Jones arc (sparkle butt) but stiffing a dealer isn't the smartest thing you could do.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
House of Orr is actually going places with the main plot, surprisingly. Probably something to with it not being a first project for the creators, I'm just used to comics that are this new getting bogged down in pointless side stories or drawn out "character building" for at least 3 or 4 years before finally remembering there was an overarching story to tell.

Not that drawn out asides and character building are necessarily bad, but not everybody is Victor Hugo.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Iron Spike is posting the entirety of Poorcraft online since it has been so long since it came out. It's a really neat comic and has a lot of good advice. I have the book and I recommend at least reading it.

http://poorcraft.com/post/86774966988/hi-folks-welcome-to-the-webcomic-debut-of

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 13:27 on May 31, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Three Panel Soul posted something that fits the opinions of this thread pretty well.

http://threepanelsoul.com/2014/05/26/doodle-comics-ian-loves/

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I like You're All Just Jealous of My Jetpack.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I just read through Poppy O'Possum up to the most recent, and now I'm all caught up and waiting for more. At least I got to finish on the end of a chapter, so that's something. Love the artwork and characters.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Is there anyone here who's been following Pictures of You? I feel like the most recent storylines have been underwhelming even though they're obviously meant to be important and compelling :(

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Renaissance Robot posted:

House of Orr is actually going places with the main plot, surprisingly. Probably something to with it not being a first project for the creators, I'm just used to comics that are this new getting bogged down in pointless side stories or drawn out "character building" for at least 3 or 4 years before finally remembering there was an overarching story to tell.

Not that drawn out asides and character building are necessarily bad, but not everybody is Victor Hugo.

I'm loving it, although I am bemused by the Sagacious's stratagem for ruling: "be as rude as possible to everybody who can't instantly make me regret it; insist that this is incredibly wise behavior."

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Ok, so I found a comic called The Black Brick Road of Oz. I usually don't care for rehashes of public domain work, but this one is so drat pretty guys. So pretty.

Make sure to click the little "high res" button in the upper right.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

There's something I probably missed about Stand Still Stay Silent-- that thing what hosed up humanity was a godawful plague, right? Then why are there trolls? Is it that the plague turned victims into trolls, are the trolls even actually a thing- all we've seen is a blurred shadow from a train window- or what

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Pavlov posted:

Ok, so I found a comic called The Black Brick Road of Oz. I usually don't care for rehashes of public domain work, but this one is so drat pretty guys. So pretty.

Make sure to click the little "high res" button in the upper right.
Man why isn't there a way to go through the comic at high-res by default, this is so clunky.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Man why isn't there a way to go through the comic at high-res by default, this is so clunky.

Yeah it's dumb, and the flash/javascript updates break for some people. But it looks sooo gooood I can kind of look past it.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I don't get it, because this isn't to save bandwidth or anything, the page is loading the full res image and just scaling it down, as far as I can tell.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

There's something I probably missed about Stand Still Stay Silent-- that thing what hosed up humanity was a godawful plague, right? Then why are there trolls? Is it that the plague turned victims into trolls, are the trolls even actually a thing- all we've seen is a blurred shadow from a train window- or what

Trolls are zombies. Basically.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Send like there might be more to it, since there's pushing reference to magic users.

It might be less a zombie apocalypse, and more a "magic returns to the world" thing that just happened to kill off most of the population?

Rethy
Feb 24, 2014

Here to Party

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I don't get it, because this isn't to save bandwidth or anything, the page is loading the full res image and just scaling it down, as far as I can tell.

The full res image plus the side bar navigation is definitely wider than small laptop screens. It would also dwarf the current navigation, which benefit from having all four buttons in view whether you've scrolled to the bottom of the page or the top, but the simple answer to that would be "change the navigation.". You're right though, since the site's scaling down the full res page it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to just change the scaled values to something a bit bigger, so I'm thinking of suggesting to the artist to do so.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rethy posted:

The full res image plus the side bar navigation is definitely wider than small laptop screens. It would also dwarf the current navigation, which benefit from having all four buttons in view whether you've scrolled to the bottom of the page or the top, but the simple answer to that would be "change the navigation.". You're right though, since the site's scaling down the full res page it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to just change the scaled values to something a bit bigger, so I'm thinking of suggesting to the artist to do so.

Hell, it wouldn't even be too hard to have a dropdown with your prefered scale factor that gets stored in a cookie and applied to all pages.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Zach "SMBC" Weiner and Boulet "Did he just draw all that poo poo in pen with no sketch?!" are collaborating on a book.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Phy posted:

Zach "SMBC" Weiner and Boulet "Did he just draw all that poo poo in pen with no sketch?!" are collaborating on a book.

Yeah.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/weiner/augie-and-the-green-knight-a-childrens-adventure-b

Shockingly enough, it's already funded. Who would have thought?!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Phy posted:

Boulet will draw, write, publish, sell, and collect, and Weiner will provide back rubs. In the nude.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
+ 25$ to ship to Canada :negative:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I should have a Canada Post smuggling service where I drive over the border to ship things to Canadians.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Having the Nordic regions survive a disease apocalypse had me think it was the result of a session of Pandemic.

It's usually them or Madagascar the block you out of total infection.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Never mind

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 4, 2014

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Does anybody have the "OPEN PALM SLAM" 'fan art' for Zen Pencils that somebody made?

ETA: nevermind, found it:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Poison Mushroom posted:

Always happy to have an excuse to post this comic.

yeah i too am always fixing for an excuse to post stickfigure golliwogs

also RIP graeyalien

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pick posted:

I should have a Canada Post smuggling service where I drive over the border to ship things to Canadians.

It's not like people haven't smuggled "necessities" into their country before.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Has anyone here checked out tragedyseries yet? It's a Tumblr comic, but still pretty good.

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 3, 2014

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Captain Bravo posted:

Has anyone here checked out tragedyseries yet? It's a Tumblr comic, but still pretty good.

Those are pretty great, I had binged them a few years ago but forgotten the title since then. Thanks :)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Poison Mushroom posted:

Always happy to have an excuse to post this comic.

Woohoo, another opportunity to post my favorite tired joke with racist-as-poo poo images!

Don't do this, please.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm loving it, although I am bemused by the Sagacious's stratagem for ruling: "be as rude as possible to everybody who can't instantly make me regret it; insist that this is incredibly wise behavior."

I'm getting the impression that this is the sort of behavior that causes Clamors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Dr. Buttass posted:

I'm getting the impression that this is the sort of behavior that causes Clamors.

Oh, it totally is; I'm just kind of astonished that more people aren't openly mocking them.

I mean, seriously, rooster-guy wanted to look intimidating and scary and break up a fight, so what does he do? He immediately locates the least combat-capable person in the room and starts bullying her. That is amazingly unclassy and makes him look like he can't handle anybody who can actually handle themselves.

• Locked thread