Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

xzzy posted:

russian_drivers.txt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnQNpJrnHOg

Didn't we have a conversation recently about someone threatening Russia's supremacy for bad driving? This seems like it should fix that nicely.

Which I could understand the guy trying to defend his decisions.

Turn on closed captioning. Not everything is captioned and not all of it makes sense, but there's enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Theris posted:

This was actually true, in the malaise era when the emission and fuel efficiency standards that car makers couldn't figure out how to deal with without destroying performance didn't apply to trucks.

With the current muscle/pony car renaissance and the manufacturers no longer making anything like the Lil' Red Express/Silverado 454SS anymore, I'm pretty sure it's no longer true. I seriously doubt his truck is faster than any C5 or later Corvette, either.

454SS was wayyyy post-malaise, as well as the Syclone, both generations of SVT Lightnings, SVT Raptor, and the SRT-10 Ram. Not really agreeing with the random guy who said trucks are the new musclecars, but you seem to have forgotten some good and recent examples of sport trucks.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
On the other hand even the nuttiest domestic factory musclecars aren't putting up numbers like mildly worked late-model diesel trucks. The ones not running coal-tunes, that is

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I spent the weekend driving my sister and all her stuff from Ann Arbor, MI back to Orlando. Took I-75 the whole way, and drivers were mostly courteous until we started approaching the Tennessee-Georgia border. Went from good highway manners (left lane mostly clear, and the few slower drivers would move over long before we caught up to them) to rolling roadblocks, people doing 10 under in the left lane, people running up behind us doing 95 on long downhill sections, etc.

Just past Atlanta, one particular driver apparently had a mutual death wish. I'm in the right lane with a ~15-car gap ahead of me, 3 cars to my left. A jackass in a work truck is merging from a very long onramp. He slows down as the car ahead of me passes, then slooowly starts merging into my lane, hitting his brakes repeatedly, and he eventually comes to a full stop in my lane with nowhere for me to go. I ended up having to slam on my brakes (with a semi now uncomfortably close behind me) and wait until the cars to my left pulled ahead enough that I could swerve around him (there was a barricade to the right so that wasn't an option). The semi barely missed the guy, too, although he was able to get over sooner.

It triggered a screaming match between me and my sister that she still isn't talking to me because of. :(

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Edit crap new page

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Had another loving idiot try to kill himself with my box-van today. Some tatted up biker looking dude on a moped ( :haw: ). He was coming down the road I was turning right onto, rolls up to the stop sign, doesn't stop, looks to the right (away from me), doesn't look left at all, starts to pull out as I start making the right, only to suddenly decide to make a u-turn directly in front of me. He almost dumps it when he finally notices me, I get on the brakes and dive back to the left to avoid turning him into burger.

I just don't loving get how you can a) not look both ways and b) not hear/see the bigass white box truck.

edited for left/right confusion

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 28, 2014

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

SyHopeful posted:

454SS was wayyyy post-malaise, as well as the Syclone, both generations of SVT Lightnings, SVT Raptor, and the SRT-10 Ram. Not really agreeing with the random guy who said trucks are the new musclecars, but you seem to have forgotten some good and recent examples of sport trucks.

Today's quad-cab truck is more or less a stand-in for the body-on-frame full size sedans of old. I see shades of Ford LTD every time I see a F-150 in Lariat trim.

Jersey barriers. Lots of them.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Better yet, rows of hydraulic bollards embedded into the sidewalk.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

xzzy posted:

russian_drivers.txt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnQNpJrnHOg

Didn't we have a conversation recently about someone threatening Russia's supremacy for bad driving? This seems like it should fix that nicely.

Which I could understand the guy trying to defend his decisions.

Those dudes have a death wish. All it takes is one even crazier driver to turn them into bloody paste on the sidewalk.

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.
I know it's fox but I really hope that Washington keeps up on this or more states actually would enforce it if it's law there for people driving slow in the left lane.

Link

Of course it'll still probably be ignored.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tangential, but local Fox affiliates seem to be pretty sane for the most part, it's the cable Fox News channel that has all the crazy.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Well, you guys were right about BMW drivers. The left lane was a turning lane that was backed up for ~30 cars, I was driving in the middle lane and out of nowhere a brand new 5 series comes out of the left lane, no turn signal, maybe 20 yards from me on a 40 mph road.
I blared on the horn and had to swerve into the right lane to avoid wrecking both our cars

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I just saw someone driving a Mustang this morning cross two highway lanes and a painted divider at a freeway split doing about 40mph with no turn signal. If you're doing something that stupid, illegal, and dangerous, it might be a good idea to at least indicate what stupid thing you're attempting to do with a turn signal.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo when will people stop merging onto a freeway doing ~75mph at 45. What the gently caress.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'm constantly amazed how many terrible, habitual tailgaiters I see driving. It doesn't seem to matter what speed, or how many people they finally pass, they will tailgate each and every person they follow.

for gently caress's sake why don't people realize how loving stupid this poo poo is

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm constantly amazed how many terrible, habitual tailgaiters I see driving. It doesn't seem to matter what speed, or how many people they finally pass, they will tailgate each and every person they follow.

for gently caress's sake why don't people realize how loving stupid this poo poo is

99% of the time I will end up being right behind these assholes at the next light. They get nowhere, put everybody around them in danger, and in general impede the flow of traffic.

gently caress habitual tailgaters and traffic weavers.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Chinatown posted:

Holy poo poo when will people stop merging onto a freeway doing ~75mph at 45. What the gently caress.

Yeah it's the worst. Hey, that really long ramp that you just drove up on? You use that to get up to highway speeds, not the highway!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Driving my beetle home at a blistering 64 last night. Coming up on my left is a pickup with an RX8 right on his rear end. It's hard to explain, but the way traffic and the lanes were, I was pretty sure the RX would pull behind me, then pass me on my right (an exit only lane) to get around both me and the truck. Sure enough, he pops behind me right up my trumpet, and I brace for the inevitable dick maneuver to my right. But...he never moves over, he just sticks on my rear end. By this time, the truck is well far gone, so I expect someone whose being so aggressive in tailgating to pass on my (now open) right, but again he doesn't budge from his perch. So, I slow down calmly to around 55 to encourage him to move around, but he still stays. Thinking it may be a cop or something, in addition to a very slow sweeper truck coming up, I move left to see what this guy does. As I move over, he speeds up slowly back to the limit until he comes up to the sweeper, and just hangs inches from his bumper. When I pass both, I look over, and (from what I can see) it's just a middle aged guy in a button-down, diving seemingly normally and attentively).

I see people like this multiple times a day on the freeway. Were they born, raised, and taught to drive in a constant LA Rush Hour simulator or something? :psyduck:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Yeah it's the worst. Hey, that really long ramp that you just drove up on? You use that to get up to highway speeds, not the highway!

I was in Ohio two weeks ago and I got onto an onramp behind a car and he accelerated on the ramp. It's the first time I've seen someone do that in YEARS. It literally never happens in my city, period.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I see that a ton on a little linking highway cause the onramps and off ramps will share a lane, so people use them to go one exit. Nevermind everyone behind trying to merge.

Luckily you can see these people coming usually, and give them plenty of space, and still be able to merge. But that's cause we have plenty of land. I remember some entrance ramps in Louisville that were about 100 feet long after a 180 degree turn and traffic was doing 70.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Geirskogul posted:

Driving my beetle home at a blistering 64 last night. Coming up on my left is a pickup with an RX8 right on his rear end. It's hard to explain, but the way traffic and the lanes were, I was pretty sure the RX would pull behind me, then pass me on my right (an exit only lane) to get around both me and the truck. Sure enough, he pops behind me right up my trumpet, and I brace for the inevitable dick maneuver to my right. But...he never moves over, he just sticks on my rear end. By this time, the truck is well far gone, so I expect someone whose being so aggressive in tailgating to pass on my (now open) right, but again he doesn't budge from his perch. So, I slow down calmly to around 55 to encourage him to move around, but he still stays. Thinking it may be a cop or something, in addition to a very slow sweeper truck coming up, I move left to see what this guy does. As I move over, he speeds up slowly back to the limit until he comes up to the sweeper, and just hangs inches from his bumper. When I pass both, I look over, and (from what I can see) it's just a middle aged guy in a button-down, diving seemingly normally and attentively).

I see people like this multiple times a day on the freeway. Were they born, raised, and taught to drive in a constant LA Rush Hour simulator or something? :psyduck:

I'll bet he's hypermiling.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
hypermiling a vehicle with atrocious mileage or terrible driver, which is more likely?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Venusian Weasel posted:

I'll bet he's hypermiling.

When I was young and stupid(er) I used to follow waaaaay too close behind semis, like less than a car length, for the drafting you see.

I'm lucky to be alive today.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
Saw this one today. When someone is driving a car that sounds like it's powered by chainsaw engine full of ball bearings, don't honk at them to accelerate away from a stop light faster. It's probably already going as fast as it can.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

it IS annoying as hell. Especially at night, when the person behind you has his brights on.

sod the windshield spraying game.

I have been known to put a wheel or two onto the median while at speed. Hope you enjoy sound of gravel against your paintwork.

fuckers.

exempt
Dec 10, 2006

buttcrackmenace posted:

I have been known to put a wheel or two onto the median while at speed. Hope you enjoy sound of gravel against your paintwork.

fuckers.

You are the problem with America. So by your logic, if someone is verbally annoying them should throwing rocks be the solution? I understand that someone tailgating you is a dangerous activity, both for you and the other vehicle, but intentionally running off the road so as to throw rocks at their car/windshield is you making a decision to involve yourself in a malicious activity.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If they were at a safe following distance, there wouldn't be an issue :shrug:

His example is more like sneezing a few times when an incredibly close talker (aka completely unaware of personal space awful person) is buttonholing you.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Five lane road, left two lanes are left turn lanes, middle two lanes are go straight lanes, and the right lane is a right turn lane. I'm in the right most left turn lane. The giant old SUV (Suburban?) in the left most go straight lane. We're chilling at the light.

The SUV pulls a (giant) car length ahead of the stop line. The left turn arrow turns green and they start to creep. I think they're going to blow through the intersection, but as I'm taking my left, they start getting close. As I pass them, they amble between me and the car that was behind me and complete the left turn like no big deal. Oncoming traffic also has two left turn lanes, so there where four lanes of cars turning through the intersection and there's not a lot of room for error. I wonder how frightened the oncoming traffic was seeing an unexpected SUV coming toward them during a protected turn.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

exempt posted:

You are the problem with America. So by your logic, if someone is verbally annoying them should throwing rocks be the solution? I understand that someone tailgating you is a dangerous activity, both for you and the other vehicle, but intentionally running off the road so as to throw rocks at their car/windshield is you making a decision to involve yourself in a malicious activity.

Yeah, I have no problem with this, tailgating is dangerous. I don't trust my own reflexes that much, like hell I'm going to trust someone else's. That said, I generally just get out of the way if I get tailgated. Let them bother the next guy.

I recently narrowly avoided rear ending a guy on the highway, because I WASN'T tailgating. I was following a bit close (4-5 car lengths at ~65 mph) when suddenly a whole bunch of feathers flew over my car. In the second it took me to focus on the feathers, think "what the gently caress" and focus back on the car in front of me, he SLAMMED on his brakes. I did so as well, as traffic was too heavy to change lanes, but I swore I was going to hit him. I would have too, if my brakes hadn't been better than his. Turns out someone a few cars up had hit a duck and slammed on their brakes. I saw several ducklings running along the side of the highway before everyone decided that sitting still in the left lane was a bad idea.

If I had been tailgating I would have hit the guy. Fortunately the fellow behind me was significantly further back.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 30, 2014

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Yeah, I have no problem with this, tailgating is dangerous.

While I agree that tailgating is dangerous, the easiest and safest way to deal with it seems to be to simply tap your brakes with your left foot (enough to turn the brake lights on, not to slow down). In my experience this deals with the large majority of the tailgaters, who are tailgating because they aren't paying attention to driving.....this makes them do that.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I've done that and had people back off, then haul up closer than they were before, like "HOW DARE YOU FLASH YOUR LIGHTS AT ME?"

You just can't loving win, it seems.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fucknag posted:

I've done that and had people back off, then haul up closer than they were before, like "HOW DARE YOU FLASH YOUR LIGHTS AT ME?"

You just can't loving win, it seems.

Sometimes you can't, but taking the lest dangerous remedy first seems to be a reasonable course of action.

You know what you can do after that if you are seriously worried for your safety? loving turn off and then go back. Let them be ahead of you.

This is the difference between pretending you are worried about safety but really being butthurt and ACTUALLY being concerned about safety.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Motronic posted:

Sometimes you can't, but taking the lest dangerous remedy first seems to be a reasonable course of action.

You know what you can do after that if you are seriously worried for your safety? loving turn off and then go back. Let them be ahead of you.

This is the difference between pretending you are worried about safety but really being butthurt and ACTUALLY being concerned about safety.
I just want to say that I agree completely with this post.

Thank you.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Motronic posted:

I hope this post is not a harbinger of forthcoming common sensibility in this thread.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
The last place I want a lovely driver is directly behind me.

Let the lovely driver go first. Not only can you keep an eye on them, when they are speeding and tailgating, they find all the cops for you.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 24, 2019

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

So at the first of the year the interstates in (not chicago) IL went from 65 to 70 mph. Apparently a bunch of people didn't get the memo and haven't noticed the 70 mph signs as I passed a ton of people today that were doing 65. I don't really care because they were all in the right lane but it was just weird how common it was.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
They raised the speed limit on the interstate here to 70 about a decade ago. Every single day I pass dozens of cars still insisting on going 65. :negative:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Whenever I'm on the highway in Illinois everyone's driving at least 80, because I drive right at 70 and people regularly blow past me.

It was that way when the limit was 55 and is that way when it's 70. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

xzzy posted:

Whenever I'm on the highway in Illinois everyone's driving at least 80, because I drive right at 70 and people regularly blow past me.

It was that way when the limit was 55 and is that way when it's 70. :iiam:

I've always driven 75 and I continue to drive 75. I just spend less of my time on the lookout for cops, now.