Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Oh, no, I was trying to point that out to Tuxedo Jack. I thought he didn't understand what JNG was saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

PeterWeller posted:

They are marginally less flimsy in 7E because of the new damage table and flicker fields let them sidestep the jink nerf. Hiding and then scoring with them is now an option. Otherwise, they're the same as they have always been. Unless you take the baron (the duke is the deepstrike guy) and spam hellions, they are your only route to mobile troops, and boats full of warriors and trueborn are still your basic sources of massed firepower.

Thanks for that - something to think about when I want to change things up! ...or when playing Unbound!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Oh, no, I was trying to point that out to Tuxedo Jack. I thought he didn't understand what JNG was saying.

Gotcha.

Here have a Stompa:

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Good call with using the drops that way. I'm probably gonna steer clear of them altogether. I'm now being labeled a "hyper-competitive math-hammering shitbag" in the local hams group, so gently caress it.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Indolent Bastard posted:

Gotcha.

Here have a Stompa:

That picture is so epic!

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Good call with using the drops that way. I'm probably gonna steer clear of them altogether. I'm now being labeled a "hyper-competitive math-hammering shitbag" in the local hams group, so gently caress it.

Honest assessment; you're group sounds like a bunch of douchebags and you sound like a pushover.

To sum up in pictures:
You:

Them:

What needs to happen:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Oy, I decided to pull out the unpainted ~1,000 point Salamanders army that I've had since 2012. I still don't know how to play this game or anything and this poo poo had been sitting in my closet or garage unpainted or unfinished in that time. Go me~

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
Godspeed goon, post pictures as you finish models. The miniature painting thread is amazing for tips and techniques.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Star Man posted:

Oy, I decided to pull out the unpainted ~1,000 point Salamanders army that I've had since 2012. I still don't know how to play this game or anything and this poo poo had been sitting in my closet or garage unpainted or unfinished in that time. Go me~

What a fantastic time to jump into the Oath thread!

tothelastman
Jan 30, 2013

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I am frustrated, I admit. I win maybe 1 out of 5 games, but I dont mind losing because Im losing based on what happens on the tabletop. The cards frustrate me because of lovely draws. They remove my ability to "get better" because its all loving random.

The other armies are Necrons, Nids, two Tau, two Orks, and Chaos SM. Edit: and Blood Angels edit2: and Eldar. gently caress.

I'm a beerhammer guy myself. I don't mind losing either. I can lose all the time too, so long as they're good games. But I feel your pain when I got wrecked all the time. Even playing casually it became unfun. This site helped out my game a lot. I started dominating most of my scene. But that wasn't fun after a while either. So I showed it to my bros too and now almost all of our games are nail bitingly close. YMMV though.
http://www.armchairgeneral.com/category/tactics101

As for the house rules, personally I'd talk to them straight up about it. I can speak on how I'd do this all day. But I'll just say that I was trained at work how to speak about touchy subjects with people. Of all the training I received, that was the most useful and worthwhile by far and I use it in my personal life too. This was the book that the course was based around. Totally worth every penny. http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Conversations-Talking-Stakes-Second/dp/0071771328/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401483636&sr=1-1

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Yeah, I was going to suggest a middle of the road thing - Drop Pods score, but not on the first turn they land nor if they've lost a Hull Point, meaning that your enemy has to at least spend a little time working them over but doesn't have a 1 HP broken piece of poo poo scoring on Turn 5, or they only score as long as the dropped unit is alive, or something - but these guys sound like twats. poo poo, if these are casual games, they really have no excuse for being that salty about scoring Pods that they resort to bitter name calling.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

tothelastman posted:

I'm a beerhammer guy myself. I don't mind losing either. I can lose all the time too, so long as they're good games. But I feel your pain when I got wrecked all the time. Even playing casually it became unfun. This site helped out my game a lot. I started dominating most of my scene. But that wasn't fun after a while either. So I showed it to my bros too and now almost all of our games are nail bitingly close. YMMV though.
http://www.armchairgeneral.com/category/tactics101

As for the house rules, personally I'd talk to them straight up about it. I can speak on how I'd do this all day. But I'll just say that I was trained at work how to speak about touchy subjects with people. Of all the training I received, that was the most useful and worthwhile by far and I use it in my personal life too. This was the book that the course was based around. Totally worth every penny. http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Conversations-Talking-Stakes-Second/dp/0071771328/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401483636&sr=1-1

He is right - that book is fantastic.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Von Humboldt posted:

Yeah, I was going to suggest a middle of the road thing - Drop Pods score, but not on the first turn they land nor if they've lost a Hull Point, meaning that your enemy has to at least spend a little time working them over but doesn't have a 1 HP broken piece of poo poo scoring on Turn 5, or they only score as long as the dropped unit is alive, or something - but these guys sound like twats. poo poo, if these are casual games, they really have no excuse for being that salty about scoring Pods that they resort to bitter name calling.

The reason it's funnier than it is offensive is I'm he least competitive person in the group. I don't own a single flyer (aside from my Caestus which is always in hover) or psyker. I bring fluffy lists and I rarely win. Which again, doesn't bother me. I'm the Prince of Close Games.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Feel bad for you Jack, and those 'friends' sound like twats.

The thing with house rules is they're supposed to benefit the WHOLE house, they aren't supposed to be rules aimed at loving one person over.

Absolute twats, don't blame you for walking away.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So no discounted launch bundle for the Orcs? I don't think the big one that went up today is reduced at all...

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Tuxedo Jack posted:

So these shitlers have a problem with how 7th now treats scoring vehicles, and by pointing out that the rules have changed they have decided to change the rules themselves to disadvantage you and the miniatures you own and somehow you are the "hyper-competitive math-hammering shitbag".

gently caress hams, gently caress Warhammer, gently caress GW, gently caress these assholes, play a better game.

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 30, 2014

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

TKIY posted:

So no discounted launch bundle for the Orcs? I don't think the big one that went up today is reduced at all...

It's not.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
The new rulebook is certainly allowing Tuxedo Jack and his group to Forge a Narrative!

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

adamantium|wang posted:

The new rulebook is certainly allowing Tuxedo Jack and his group to Forge a Narrative!

If his friends are terrible and feel entitled to houserule him to hell and back and he wants a beerhammer style, playing a different game isn't going to help anything unless it's dominoes or backgammon or something totally symmetrical.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

Here have a Stompa:

I just want to say that I think Stompas and Gargants are awesome as gently caress but a lot of them having huge belly guns that actually look like dick cannons is loving ridiculous.

Pleasantly surprised that the Morkanaut/Gorkanaut don't have dick cannons.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

AndyElusive posted:

I just want to say that I think Stompas and Gargants are awesome as gently caress but a lot of them having huge belly guns that actually look like dick cannons is loving ridiculous.

Pleasantly surprised that the Morkanaut/Gorkanaut don't have dick cannons.

Orks are born from space spores. They don't have dicks. Thus, no dick guns. MY IMMERSION

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Was doing a close readover of my $85-worth-every-penny book and confirmed what had been said earlier in this thread about my Wave Serpents needing to actively Jink but getting a better save - playing tomorrow with a friend back home so I was thinking about whether I'd use them and if so how many with the new rules, he's Necrons so glancing me to death was already his strategy. And then it hit me!

Jink is the same for bikes now too!

My Ravenwing! The whole army wasn't super amazing before, but now...uh. Well.

Back to Deathwing?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Boon posted:

Honest assessment; you're group sounds like a bunch of douchebags and you sound like a pushover.

To sum up in pictures:
You:

Them:

What needs to happen:

Haha, what film is this? The three pictures tell quite a story by themselves.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Tuxedo Jack posted:

It doesn't matter, of course. It's just space Barbies. But it is spirit breaking. I was going to just take a break from the group to paint my new IG army, but then I realized they're using my PE tiles, and I kind of wrote the campaign (until the group rewrote most of it), so I feel obligated to play. I don't want to be a poor sport.

They're not as bad as I probably make them sound. There are a few characters, for sure, but they're not really the awful grognards you'd typically imagine...

They just loving love those cards without rationale or understanding.

When they get a card telling them to kill poo poo that isn't on the board, a card telling them to cast a psychic power when they have no psykers and a card telling them to claim the objective you have scoring Terminators on in your own deployment, just say "You're right, these cards are awesome!" While you collect 5VP on turn 1 before they move a model or roll a die.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
All this drop pod talk has made me reconsider the dread claw and Kharybdis. Not crazy enough to start a new army, but I could see grabbing a dread claw and throwing some castallex into it for some budget MC drop pod fun.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004
So it's a bit unclear from my first read-through but I think my suspicions are right: did the new FAQs just change Grey Knights and Blood Angels so they lose all their 5e Codex powers and can only roll (or are automatically given) powers from the 7e Rule Book?

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 31, 2014

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

The reason it's funnier than it is offensive is I'm he least competitive person in the group. I don't own a single flyer (aside from my Caestus which is always in hover) or psyker. I bring fluffy lists and I rarely win. Which again, doesn't bother me. I'm the Prince of Close Games.

Move to Virginia. Play with Direwolf and I. We are cool. Also, I will out drop-pod your drop-pods.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Alright, so with my shock at my Ravenwing turning into mush, it's been forever since I've run Deathwing, what do we think of this list:

+++ New Roster (1848pts) +++
+++ 1850pt Dark Angels 6th Ed (FAQ April 2013) Roster (Primary Detachment)) +++

+ HQ + (300pts)

* Belial (190pts) (Codex: Dark Angels 6th p56)

* Chaplain (110pts) (Codex: Dark Angels 6th p30)
(Independant Character, Zealot)
Bolt Pistol, Crozius Arcanum, Frag and Krak Grenades, Jump Pack (15pts), Melta Bombs (5pts), Power Armour, Rosarius

+ Troops + (1548pts)

* Deathwing Terminator Squad (Troops) (240pts)
(Deathwing Assault, Split Fire, Vengeful Strike)
Assault Cannon (20pts), 4x Deathwing Terminators (176pts), Inner Circle (Fearless, Preferred Enemy (Chaos Space Marines))
* Deathwing Terminator Sgt (44pts)

* Deathwing Terminator Squad (Troops) (240pts)
Assault Cannon (20pts), 4x Deathwing Terminators (176pts), Inner Circle (Fearless, Preferred Enemy (Chaos Space Marines))

* Deathwing Terminator Squad (Troops) (460pts)
9x Deathwing Terminators (396pts), 2x Heavy Flamer (20pts), Inner Circle (Fearless, Preferred Enemy (Chaos Space Marines))

* Deathwing Terminator Squad (Troops) (608pts)
6x Deathwing Terminators (264pts), Inner Circle (Fearless, Preferred Enemy (Chaos Space Marines)), 2x Pair of Lightning Claws, 4x Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield (20pts)
*Deathwing Terminator Sgt (44pts)
* Land Raider Crusader (280pts)
(Assault Vehicle, Power of the Machine Spirit)
Deathwing Vehicle (30pts) (*, Preferred Enemy (Chaos Space Marines))

2nd turn DW assault coupled with a pretty tough Landraider with the assault squad / chaplain inside - the LR has Objective Secured, so once it deploys it can go grab objectives, and the Chaplain can either buff the squad or zoom off on his own to take objectives or assault smaller squads. Belial goes with the HF squad so I can exactly place it for the templates, and the other 2 squads can either land where needed.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Direwolf posted:

Alright, so with my shock at my Ravenwing turning into mush, it's been forever since I've run Deathwing, what do we think of this list:

Where you using the 5+ cover save so much? Most of the guns on the ravenwing are twin-linked so snapshots are less of a pain, and you can still cover units with other units I believe. Does jinx stop you from charging the next turn? The stealth speeders will still help you out.
If you use the random objectives bikers should be fairly powerful. If you like ravenwing I would recommend giving them a shot still.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Pacheeco posted:

So it's a bit unclear from my first read-through but I think my suspicions are right: did the new FAQs just change Grey Knights and Blood Angels so they lose all their 5e Codex powers and can only roll (or are automatically given) powers from the 7e Rule Book?

Forge the narrative! Erase the narrative! Forge the narrative! Erase the narrative!

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Buddy of mine did this for me in between his IC's Hobby challenge so he wouldn't get too far ahead.

fully expecting it to get dunked by D weps in an Apoc game we are doing in a week, that 6++ is a band-aid.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Direwolf posted:

<List>

A little light on anti-tank for my tastes, though my local meta is vehicle heavy. The double fire your Krak missiles and still shoot the Storm Bolter is a nice trick for the Cyclone guys. I'd swap an Assault Cannon for one Cyclone to give yourself some S8 to whip around. Otherwise, it seems pretty solid.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Sooooo… the Stronghold Assault FAQ tells us to ignore the rules on the page where points costs and limitations are put on battlement and battlefield upgrades. Now what?

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

LordAba posted:

Where you using the 5+ cover save so much? Most of the guns on the ravenwing are twin-linked so snapshots are less of a pain, and you can still cover units with other units I believe. Does jinx stop you from charging the next turn? The stealth speeders will still help you out.
If you use the random objectives bikers should be fairly powerful. If you like ravenwing I would recommend giving them a shot still.

The short answer is yes, constantly. The one buff is that we can jink on the first turn now if we don't go first, which is a godsend, but Ravenwing is not an assault army at all and isn't good at assault except for one unit (Black Knights) which are also fantastic shooters - so the one unit that I wouldn't mind charging headlong into the enemy is the one unit I'd like to be able to shoot with, as well. The thing that makes Ravenwing viable is our dakka banner, and the jink change mathematically reduces the hits a 6 man squad gets with mass bolters from 21 to 7. I don't think we were the targets of the change but it's a really strong nerf to what we're best at.

I don't know if you've played a bike army, but it's a very delicate thing and it relied on high toughness to ignore small arms and cover saves to ignore the stuff that ignored our toughness. There's a huge range of weapons that we needed to be able to absorb with the cover save so we could then return fire the next turn, and, well, now we either can't do the first part or can't do that second. We're good at grabbing random objectives, sure, but in the one 7th game I've played half the cards were totally unrelated to that - we can't "destroy a squad in a turn" if we're shooting with BS 1, twin linked or not.

Direwolf fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 31, 2014

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

Fix posted:

Sooooo… the Stronghold Assault FAQ tells us to ignore the rules on the page where points costs and limitations are put on battlement and battlefield upgrades. Now what?

That, pretty much. Go hog wild!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Oh hang on. No, I'm seeing the problem here. Discrepancy between the page numbers on the electronic version versus the print. The FAQ covers print.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I guess its indicative of how useful they were last time around that I am surprised that Flashgitz are base 3A. Looks like they finally got a halfway decent gun now.

If all proper Orks have 'Ere We Go! that'll go a long way to helping them out.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

See now this poo poo, this is poo poo a dude can get hyped about. Dedicated Battlewagon, yessss!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
So on the plus side, they went down in points, dedicated transport option, more shots on their guns, no gets hot, possibility for BS3 if they don't move, and can reroll a single charge dice.

On the negative side, no S6, no ignore cover, their save got worse (6+ from a 4+), and no options beyond ammo runts. No painboy, no cybork bodies, nuttin'.

So what will end up happening, is that unless you stick their happy asses in a fortification or something, they will most likely cruise around in a battlewagon firing unreliable AP weapons and never get to use their BS3, making them expensive shoota boyz that might shred something important if said target is somehow out in the open. Seems a bit of a wash so far.

• Locked thread