Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Wade Wilson posted:

What book was it where Harry argues with the Merlin about this? It was right after he did the Zombie Dinosaur stuff, IIRC.

The argument was never resolved, but the Merlin did acknowledge that if the White Council had the resources they'd be doing more to find and train people that had talent and said something along the lines of only being able to react to people that have taken things too far.

Proven guilty he argues with the Merlin, Changes he talks identification of it early with Luccario

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Getting back to general urban fantasy, there's a Charles Stross Laundry Files short up on Tor.com :

http://www.tor.com/stories/2013/09/equoid

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Getting back to general urban fantasy, there's a Charles Stross Laundry Files short up on Tor.com :

http://www.tor.com/stories/2013/09/equoid

Since September, yes. Tor is nice about leaving those up there for years. Also no DRM

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fried Chicken posted:

Since September, yes. Tor is nice about leaving those up there for years. Also no DRM

Heh, sorry then :P I saw it as part of a new post about tor.com's original fiction hugo finalists being free: http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/05/get-torcoms-original-fiction-hugo-finalists-for-free

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Can anyone link to the post that numbered all the Dresden files with the predictions of whats to come?

You know, the "A wizard plot every 2nd book unless..." "A denearian story every 5th..." etc etc. It was a pretty great thing.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
So, how much does Lasciel (the one in the coin) really know about what happened with Lash (the one in Dresden's head)? It's been a while since I read the books featuring Lash, but I thought Lash and Lasciel were separate and not in direct contact (until their hoped-for reunification).
Since Lash got destroyed, Lasciel shouldn't really know all that much. She obviously knows that Lash failed to seduce Dresden, but unless I've misunderstood something, she shouldn't know any more than Nicodemus.

That makes "Worse, Lasciel knew me, inside and out. Or at least, she had known me." a bit odd though, so maybe I'm wrong.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.

Fried Chicken posted:

Can anyone make out either question that gets asked when he says "the paranetters lost"? Particularly the long question at about 24 minutes?

Also wedding proposal at a Q&A? Congrats to them :3:

The guy basically asked what happened that made the paranet go dark in Oregon. Seems like a longer question cause he talks about how he needs to know for his Portland roleplay group

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Wade Wilson posted:

What book was it where Harry argues with the Merlin about this? It was right after he did the Zombie Dinosaur stuff, IIRC.

Like the first or second chapter of Proven Guilty.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Thyrork posted:

Can anyone link to the post that numbered all the Dresden files with the predictions of whats to come?

You know, the "A wizard plot every 2nd book unless..." "A denearian story every 5th..." etc etc. It was a pretty great thing.

Dresden Files Patterns

Vampires every third book (Grave Peril, Blood Rites, White Night, Changes) (Pattern broken after the events of Changes)

Faeries every fourth book (Summer Knight, Proven Guilty, Changes)

Denarians every fifth book (Death Masks, Small Favor, Skin Game)

Bad Wizards Did It every book that's a prime number that doesn't match one of the above: (Storm Front, Fool Moon, Dead Beat, Turn Coat, Ghost Story)

This only applies to who the main bad guy is: any of those can appear in any book, and they can be the main bad guy of books that don't fit any pattern, such as faeries in Cold Days (#14)

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 30, 2014

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

Dresden Files Patterns

Vampires every third book (Grave Peril, Blood Rites, White Night, Changes) (Pattern broken after the events of Changes)

Faeries every fourth book (Summer Knight, Proven Guilty, Changes)

Denarians every fifth book (Death Masks, Small Favor, Skin Game)

Bad Wizards Did It every book that's a prime number that doesn't match one of the above: (Storm Front, Fool Moon, Dead Beat, Turn Coat, Ghost Story)

This only applies to who the main bad guy is: any of those can appear in any book, and they can be the main bad guy of books that don't fit any pattern, such as faeries in Cold Days (#14)

I wonder if it'll turn out that there'll be a new pattern of Outsiders every x books now, starting at Cold Days, or if the old patterns are falling apart.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Illuyankas posted:

I wonder if it'll turn out that there'll be a new pattern of Outsiders every x books now, starting at Cold Days, or if the old patterns are falling apart.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Changes changed most of the patterns, although Denarians is holding strong!

Of course, this means that Nicky gets to set off the Apocalypse in book #20.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
On a more general urban fantasy note, we're missing a big big series. It's a personal favourite that has resulted in movies and involves vampires and twilight...

No, not that series. I mean the Watch series from that Russian guy. Starts with Night Watch, a collection of three novellas that tie together creating a novel. They are basically about the struggles between the "good" magicians in Moscow ( the night watch) and their opposite numbers, the bad magicians and vampires and werewolves of Moscow (the day watch).

I'd probably put them on the same level as the dresden files and rivers of London books. My only real criticisms are they are a bit short / very fast reads and that the author has some terrible views, supporting the Russian invasion of Crimea and Eastern Ukraine.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

ConfusedUs posted:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Changes changed most of the patterns, although Denarians is holding strong!

Of course, this means that Nicky gets to set off the Apocalypse in book #20.

Nah, Harry is going to set it off. He'll fatally stab Nicodemius in his black heart only for Nic to dramatically reveal with his last breath that everything he had done in partnering with evil/sacrificing his daughter/obtaining the Holy Grail had been in a desperate ploy to avert the final attack of the Outsiders. And it would have worked too, if only Harry hadn't hosed it up! Queue the final apocalypse trilogy.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Masonity posted:

On a more general urban fantasy note, we're missing a big big series. It's a personal favourite that has resulted in movies and involves vampires and twilight...

No, not that series. I mean the Watch series from that Russian guy. Starts with Night Watch, a collection of three novellas that tie together creating a novel. They are basically about the struggles between the "good" magicians in Moscow ( the night watch) and their opposite numbers, the bad magicians and vampires and werewolves of Moscow (the day watch).

I'd probably put them on the same level as the dresden files and rivers of London books. My only real criticisms are they are a bit short / very fast reads and that the author has some terrible views, supporting the Russian invasion of Crimea and Eastern Ukraine.

I love the Watch series. The first one is a bit rough to read, I think that comes down to translation. In fact it's one of the few physical books I've kept.

Edit: It also seems I am missing the last two books as well. Time to change that.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

calandryll posted:

I love the Watch series. The first one is a bit rough to read, I think that comes down to translation. In fact it's one of the few physical books I've kept.

Edit: It also seems I am missing the last two books as well. Time to change that.

I only found out about the most recent one this morning. I've already finished it though. They make Dresden Files books seem long in comparison. :(

edit: I kind of find the translation adds to it. Reading something obviously not originally written in English is refreshing. They absolutely butcher a Planescape: Torment reference in the latest book though. I figure "What can change the nature of a man?" was translated into russian, then back into english by a translator who didn't recognize the reference. It comes out as "What can change human nature?" It's referenced as something an evil witch in an old computer game had a habit of asking before killing people for not having the right answer, so it's definitely supposed to be a PS:T reference.

Masonity fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 30, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Night Watch series is pretty good but kind of suffers from a weird power bloat/change in tone. Some of it is intentional (Geser goes from being this weird boss to being this supernatural force of power back to being this weird boss as Anton progresses and the series is pretty good about taking these people are gradually humanizing them as Anton gets on their level.) Some of it isn't as the series kinda dives deeper into traditional urban fantasy as opposed to the more melancholy and grey tone of the first two books.

Some of it is pretty clearly just the author wanting to keep things relatively cheerful. Anton getting a gigantic power boost so that he can remain on Svetlana's level and therefore conveniently sidestep the overaching plot of power being a diversionary force, although New Watch touches on that a bit as well.

It is also remarkably Russian in a lot of ways, some of which can be uncomfortable although you can write some of those off as Anton being that way as opposed to the author's views. Not all of it though.

The movies however are just loving awful.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 30, 2014

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The Night Watch series is pretty good but kind of suffers from a weird power bloat/change in tone. Some of it is intentional (Geser goes from being this weird boss to being this supernatural force of power back to being this weird boss as Anton progresses and the series is pretty good about taking these people are gradually humanizing them as Anton gets on their level.)

Some of it is pretty clearly just the author wanting to keep things relatively cheerful. Anton getting a gigantic power boost so that he can remain on Svetlana's level and therefore conveniently sidestep the overaching plot of power being a diversionary force, although New Watch touches on that a bit as well.

It is also remarkably Russian in a lot of ways, some of which can be uncomfortable although you can write some of those off as Anton being that way as opposed to the author's views. Not all of it though.

I'm not sure that's why it happened. Svetlana's withdrawal from the Night Watch meant that even if Anton wasn't given the huge boost they could have worked. It was only a major issue if she was active, wasn't it? In her housewife role she only uses said power to iron the sheets anyway!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Masonity posted:

I'm not sure that's why it happened. Svetlana's withdrawal from the Night Watch meant that even if Anton wasn't given the huge boost they could have worked. It was only a major issue if she was active, wasn't it? In her housewife role she only uses said power to iron the sheets anyway!

No, they had awkwardness about it even when she was retired and the fact that their daughter was the Messiah meant that Sveltana would never entirely be able give up that power. That was one of the things that Twilight Watch touched on before Anton got his huge power spike at the end.

New Watch kind of touches on this a bit more when Anton seals his power and discovers Sveltlana has been doing the same, but... well, you know how New Watch ends and if you don't I don't want to spoil it since it's still relatively new.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 30, 2014

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.
I finished Skin Game. I totally called Grey, but I wasn't paying close enough attention and now I'm going to have to re-read the book now that I know what the tells are.

This book was absolutely fantastic. Butcher could end the series here and it'd still be a good "ending". However, I really want to see Harry bitch-slap Mab. I don't care how or why, I just want to see him do it.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

keiran_helcyan posted:

Nah, Harry is going to set it off. He'll fatally stab Nicodemius in his black heart only for Nic to dramatically reveal with his last breath that everything he had done in partnering with evil/sacrificing his daughter/obtaining the Holy Grail had been in a desperate ploy to avert the final attack of the Outsiders. And it would have worked too, if only Harry hadn't hosed it up! Queue the final apocalypse trilogy.

Butcher has stated on multiple occasions that Faith Astor, with a link to her short story here is involved in kicking off the apocalypse. In fact, I had to look up her last name because I thought it might've been Ascher.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

MildShow posted:

Butcher has stated on multiple occasions that Faith Astor, with a link to her short story here is involved in kicking off the apocalypse. In fact, I had to look up her last name because I thought it might've been Ascher.

yeah cause she doesn't turn Harry in to the cops and gets him started with Murphy and on the road to being a detective wizard

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Illuyankas posted:

Incidentally which audiobook has James Marsters go 'holy poo poo' while reading a scene out?

No its not its Dead Beat.

Unless he does it twice.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

daggerdragon posted:

I finished Skin Game. I totally called Grey, but I wasn't paying close enough attention and now I'm going to have to re-read the book now that I know what the tells are.

This book was absolutely fantastic. Butcher could end the series here and it'd still be a good "ending". However, I really want to see Harry bitch-slap Mab. I don't care how or why, I just want to see him do it.

Along with that thinking before Harry does that he needs to kill the redcap, I was hoping that would happen this book but, there's always hope for the next one its supposed to be a faeries book anyway.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Am I the only person who actually wants to see Harry take a coin before the series ends?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Not sure why you're spoiling that, but I don't want to see it. I feel the way Harry dealt with Lash was an extremely rewarding plot, and I wouldn't want to see a rehash. And Harry going evil?

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Ha, Jim *loved* that chart / diagram / histogram of words which are repeated that someone presented to him at the Seattle signing. Whichever one of you did that, you're Good People.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
You mean this one? :)

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Captain Capacitor posted:

That's aces. Now someone re-arrange those words and we've got book 16 ready to go.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
Holy poo poo the Dresden Files have been optioned again.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Holy poo poo the Dresden Files have been optioned again.

An option on its own doesn't mean much (except that Jim Butcher gets to buy nice things) but it certainly isn't a bad sign.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Optioned for what, exactly?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Thunderfinger posted:

Optioned for what, exactly?

TV usually.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

A movie, in this case. By "a large production company, and I can't say which one, but most of you have seen their summer blockbuster already".

E: or... Something like that. I wasn't taking notes.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

SolTerrasa posted:

A movie, in this case.

Huh. A movie by a large studio might actually have the SFX budget to make it look good. Now if only they can actually, y'know, stick to the books this time.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Arcsech posted:

Huh. A movie by a large studio might actually have the SFX budget to make it look good. Now if only they can actually, y'know, stick to the books this time.

As I understand it, the deal gives him zero creative control.

So... Nope!

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

"Bianca" is as common a word in the series as "Molly", "magic", or "wizard"? That seems odd.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

If it's a movie, I really do not have any interest at all.

Regardless of which book they pick, there's enough subplots in there that removing any or all fo them will have a net negative impact on the story.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

treeboy posted:

I am super super curious about The Rent and Goodman Grey and the fact that if I read it correctly his entire payment was $1 and that he's essentially a Lawful Neutral Naagloshii

The Rent could be pretty much anything. The monetary value is low (probably because Harry is broke 99% of the time because he is too dumb to get payment in advance or ask for an expense account. Or because some one else covered the real bill) , but the quality of the work done for the money could be what matters. As for what he is, he probably isn't "true" Naagloshii, as in a fallen semi divine being born at the beginning of time. He is probably either descended from one, or is a skinwalker; a mortal taught Naagloshii ways.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

Lord Hydronium posted:

"Bianca" is as common a word in the series as "Molly", "magic", or "wizard"? That seems odd.

The algorithm I use to detect linguistically significant words weighs names heavier. For some reason, it just missed certain names.

I also might have whipped up the final version in a day and had to make some split decisions. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica
Skin Game was pretty great. After a run of fairly heavy books since Changes, it was nice to read a fairly fun one again, and nothing's more fun than a heist. I really could have done without the Murphy sex dream, though.