Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Zeta pivots are great. AGV shorties are allegedly good as well.

Edit: snipe of my dirtbike protector

Yerok fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Uh oh, do I need a new master cylinder? Or just the cover and membrane? Is this an opportunity to do the whole stainless steel brake line bit?

:ohdear:

E: bike is 3 years old, with 6000km on it.

epswing fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 18, 2014

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The cover gasket was probably installed cockeyed. It's easy to install wrong.

You should clean it up, make sure the gasket is on right (if it's pinched it might need to be replaced) and also do stainless lines just because.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Mine did that all you have to do is replace the $.50 gasket

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Razzled posted:

Not sure, but I bought some http://zeta-racing.com/lever/pivot_lever_cp/index.html
off of Baller Witness Bro a week ago and they fit perfectly. Only thing I had to reuse was the spring on the brake lever.

The Zetas are really nice, but I can't spend the money for a $50+ set of adjustable levers. I was just trying to find some that are basically the stock levers but shorter.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Deeters posted:

The Zetas are really nice, but I can't spend the money for a $50+ set of adjustable levers. I was just trying to find some that are basically the stock levers but shorter.

Could you just basically build the nub back up with JB Weld or something

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Deeters posted:

What's the best way to make sure aftermarket DRZ levers have the extra bit that hits the brake switch? Make sure it says that it fits the 400S/SM?

I just want some basic shorty levers. I have a set of Sunline ones but someone filed that nub off :v:

You can't find some chinese knockoffs of the zetas or whatever?

The other move is just to chop your stockers down and then round them off.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Baller Witness Bro posted:

I don't see where it's going to go if it's in gear? This is honestly one of the simplest things you can do to a bike.. it's 5 seconds of unbolting and bolting in the new one. There's no need to move the bike at any point during this process.

Obviously I'm not advocating being a fool and jabbing at the starter while the CCT is out or rolling it all around your garage but just leave the bike sit there and change it and you'll have no problems.

My point was - There's just no upside to putting it in gear. It doesn't help you do the job. Best case scenario it does nothing. Worst case, you get called off half way through the job and someone tries to move it, or you stumble or forget and grab the bike and shove it forward a couple of inches, shifting the crank.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

So what does the collective unconscious think about a street-titled 2005 KTM 450SMR that supposedly has a fresh rebuild? Is it a good idea for $5000?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Depends entirely on what you're going to use it for and what state you're in. Seems really expensive - I would expect the price to be closer to 3k in most of the US.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Don't the 450SMR's have crank issues? I seem to remember some horror pics but I might be thinking of a 560SMR instead.

I'd expect the usual valve issues with 450's - although if it's rebuilt the PO may have done that already. As Z3n said I've seen them come up before for like 3-3500 but that wasn't street legal AFAIK. Depending on your location that could skyrocket the price.

I definitely wouldn't pick one up for regular street duty. I don't think they even have keyed ignitions. Again, location, but I've seen husky 610's go for 3500. Same with DRZ's. Either would be a better commuting-style sumo IMO. Neither will be as fun on a track.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

For track use, I'm sure it would be a blast, but since you're specifically looking at a street titled one, I'm going to guess you are planning to use it on the street.

In which case, good luck, as I'm sure it will be a big ball of fun, tickets, compromises and annoying maintenance.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

I had a DRZ SM that got stolen. I just want something to gently caress around on basically. DRZ SM's go for $4-5k around here if you can find them. There aren't many supermotos in Alabama at all. I've never seen a Husky for sale.

This bike has an electric start kit and Baja designs dual sport kit.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I know this isnt going to carry much weight coming from me, but you'll probably spend way more in maintenance and downtime on that KTM than you would just waiting for a normal street supermoto and paying the asking price for it.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

wallaka posted:

I had a DRZ SM that got stolen. I just want something to gently caress around on basically. DRZ SM's go for $4-5k around here if you can find them. There aren't many supermotos in Alabama at all. I've never seen a Husky for sale.

Can't comment on prices but if you just want a toy it will be fantastic. The more highly strung KTM motors do not tolerate poor maintenance, especially old / low oil. Make sure the current owner is a service obsessive. If the fuelling or timing was modified make sure it was done properly, or make sure it is undone, the bikes are hot as it is.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 21, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I know this isnt going to carry much weight coming from me, but you'll probably spend way more in maintenance and downtime on that KTM than you would just waiting for a normal street supermoto and paying the asking price for it.

No, I agree 100% with this for an 05 model - the older engines were pretty good but they had caveats - proper maintenance, etc. I'm also super leery of "fresh rebuild!" on anything.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

I was sort of thinking along those lines.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
My rear Pilot power has squared off after ~2500 miles, looking at getting a set of Distanzias next and cant decide whether to go for the softer sumo variant in 150/60 17 or the harder compound 150/70 17. Threads on various forums put the softer 150/60 at about 1500-2500 miles tops and the 150/70 at 6000+.
Anyone have any experience with either or preferably both?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Tired of loving around with the DRZ so I ordered a JD FCR kit. Spoke to the man himself and am looking forward to being able to talk to the person who designed the needle that's going in my carb to tune it correctly instead of spending $50 on keihin needles and mains and chasing my tail based on people regurgitating Sisneros' tips for getting a DRZ running right at Colorado elevation.

That was a long sentence. Also there's no way in hell Jets R Us would refund my order if I wasn't happy with how the bike was running.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yerok posted:

Tired of loving around with the DRZ so I ordered a JD FCR kit. Spoke to the man himself and am looking forward to being able to talk to the person who designed the needle that's going in my carb to tune it correctly instead of spending $50 on keihin needles and mains and chasing my tail based on people regurgitating Sisneros' tips for getting a DRZ running right at Colorado elevation.

That was a long sentence. Also there's no way in hell Jets R Us would refund my order if I wasn't happy with how the bike was running.

Thinking of doing the same thing. My FCR was shipped at the beginning of the first round of eddies craziness, so hasnt ever really been jetted properly. As a slightly older manchild, I cant be bothered to mess constantly with jetting.

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!

wallaka posted:

My husky is currently listed in Indianapolis craiglist. I'd imagine that is a bit of a drive for you though. It's also on SMJ.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Thinking of doing the same thing. My FCR was shipped at the beginning of the first round of eddies craziness, so hasnt ever really been jetted properly. As a slightly older manchild, I cant be bothered to mess constantly with jetting.

I would just do it. I'll let you know how the kit works out. By the way, would you happen to be going to Road America's vintage days and AHRMA this year?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Hey guys so rather than mess with the tank and change the riding characteristics while I'm still getting used to stock config, I've decided to just get a luggage rack and a roto-pax tank for my longer ventures.

I do want to keep the tool bag though and it doesn't seem possible to do that on the rear with the rack I want:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DRZ400S-SM-...9e5654c&vxp=mtr

Is there any other good place I could store it without it falling off or anything like that?
I think some people put theirs on the front fender-- is that just a fanny pack type situation or is there some kind of mount I need to get?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Razzled posted:

Hey guys so rather than mess with the tank and change the riding characteristics while I'm still getting used to stock config, I've decided to just get a luggage rack and a roto-pax tank for my longer ventures.

I do want to keep the tool bag though and it doesn't seem possible to do that on the rear with the rack I want:

Is there any other good place I could store it without it falling off or anything like that?
I think some people put theirs on the front fender-- is that just a fanny pack type situation or is there some kind of mount I need to get?

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1008/29142/Moose-Racing-Number-Plate-Trail-Pack

You can google similar things but this should get you started.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Razzled posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/310776561235?lpid=82

That's the OEM Suzuki one that relocates the toolkit to a hard thing on the side. Look for something similar, or that specific one used.

Make sure you use a zip tie on the door of the toolbox though, BotchedLobotomy once littered the road with spanners and had no idea :downs:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Go the KLR route and make a tool tube out of PVC and zip ties!

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

SaNChEzZ posted:

Make sure you use a zip tie on the door of the toolbox though, BotchedLobotomy once littered the road with spanners and had no idea :downs:

I lost two nice disklocks thanks to that bag opening one day.

tjones
May 13, 2005
The only option here is to fabricate two mailboxes as luggage boxes.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

tjones posted:

The only option here is to fabricate two mailboxes as luggage boxes.

That would be multiple felonies every time I layer dan though

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Razzled posted:

That would be multiple felonies every time I layer dan though

But not since they're your mailboxes!

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Mailboxes will never stop being a thing in CA now. Be proud Razzled.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Yerok posted:

Mailboxes will never stop being a thing in CA now. Be proud Razzled.

Believe me, it's not just CA. The guys at work won't let me live it down either lol

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
DRZs just attract stupid as gently caress crashes. The last time mine went down was on grass wearing a three piece suit.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jam your toolkit in front of the speedo behind the numberplate :ms:

Mine has been there for two years now

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Has anyone on here owned a Husky TR 650 (of either flavour), and how would it stack up as a potential around town hooligan tool, versus a KTM 690 Enduro on a set of warp9 wheels? Would I be better off looking for a TE 610/630? My point of reference is coming from a DR 650 and enjoying it a lot more in the city than I had any idea I would.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The 690 enduro is going to be a fuckload more reliable.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

boom

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Nice. Is it normal to have speed on the X axis for a dyno result like that?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

So, as a guess, a stock gsxr 600 with a pipe puts out about 115-120 on that dyno?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If anything it seemed to read low. Not that I think my drz actually makes more than the quoted amount, but my buddies b12 with the same mods that made my b12 dyno 120hp only dynoed 111. Other bikes seemed lower too, a new rsv4 did 165hp, so no, I don't think it was reading crazy high. I don't think the drz is actually masking 50hp, but I'm inclined to think the 41hp is not too awfully inaccurate.

Safety Dance posted:

Nice. Is it normal to have speed on the X axis for a dyno result like that?

You can't get to the plug for an rpm reading on the drz without taking the tank off. My friend who dynoed his b12 got a torque reading because the plugs are exposed

• Locked thread