Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Downhome
Jul 5, 2012
Hey guys, I'll try to keep this short instead of going into the entire backstory.

Have any of you dealt with "cherry eye" in a puppy or dog before? It happened to our Betty recently, here is a picture of it when it was pretty obvious...

We knew what it was, my wife had a cocker spaniel when she was little that had it, so it wasn't a super shock to us. We took her to the vet anyway just to have it checked. He gave us some cream to rub on it that he pretty much said it would wouldn't work anyway and then said the only option to get it any better at all was to have it done surgically for hundreds of dollars.

For a couple of days we rubbed the cream on it, no changes really. I then did some research online and saw people massaging it to treat it to help it pop back into place so I tried that. The first day it helped a lot, then the second day it was totally fine. It has been a few days now and it has remained in place. I know, it'll likely happen again and we may have to have the surgery done in the end to permanently repair both eyes, but for now this seems to work.

Here she is now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Martytoof posted:

We got a new ~9-10 month old border collie mix pup to keep our 9-10 month black lab company since our older dog passed away. He's a darling but he seriously wolfs his food down like there's no tomorrow. Anything other than "large inedible objects in the bowl with his kibble" I should be doing? He seriously goes at it as if he's trying to finish his entire bowl in one gulp.

And obviously I'm doing things like tennis balls that he won't wolf down by accident.

My lab gets literally all his kibble via Kong balls and kong cube thingies, plus some treats during walks/training. I spend a lot of time filling kongs, and trying to time things so a bit of PB on top gets frozen, but hey, ~~mental stimulation~~.

Others can comment, as this might not be a direct "solution" -- if I ever did give him a bowl full of kibble... uh, yeah, he'd scarf that down like there was no tomorrow.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
What was the name of that chest harness that works like a Gentle Leader? Nyx hates the actual mouth based gentle leader and I want to still have control while we walk. I was going to just head into a PetSmart but I would rather order it online as long as the measurements are accurate.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Sensation Harness. Easy Walk Harness. I recommend the former before the latter. There are plenty more varieties too. Searching on-line for a "no-pull harness" is probably the best bet.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

a life less posted:

Sensation Harness. Easy Walk Harness. I recommend the former before the latter. There are plenty more varieties too. Searching on-line for a "no-pull harness" is probably the best bet.

I checked out both. I do like the sensation Harness but unfortunately I can't find one that will ship to Canada reasonably. The Easy Walker is in stock at the local PetSmart though so I'll probably go pick that one up.

Thanks

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
Is there anyway that you can get insurance for Betty (or do you already have it?) in case you do need the surgery in the future?

If you can treat it for now with massage that's great but I think that insurance when you know she's already prone to an issue like that is really important.

I had a rabbit who had cherry eye and it didn't bother her... it was just a cosmetic issue for her. It can become a problem, however, and having insurance to fall back on would be nice.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

luscious posted:

Is there anyway that you can get insurance for Betty (or do you already have it?) in case you do need the surgery in the future?

If you can treat it for now with massage that's great but I think that insurance when you know she's already prone to an issue like that is really important.

I had a rabbit who had cherry eye and it didn't bother her... it was just a cosmetic issue for her. It can become a problem, however, and having insurance to fall back on would be nice.

They will definitely want to check if this will count as a pre-existing condition, though. Because if so, it might not be covered.

Downhome
Jul 5, 2012

Serella posted:

They will definitely want to check if this will count as a pre-existing condition, though. Because if so, it might not be covered.

That's what I'm worried about. She has been to the vet for it already, so who knows. I'm not sure if it would be covered period though since it is a very widespread problem in the breed, and others like it.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
My dad was staying over for Memorial Day weekend and my dog kind of reverted behavior-wise. He was less likely to respond to commands, howled loudly at nothing and had accidents in the house. Since my dad left he's been back to his normal self. They got a long fine so I'm guessing having a strange person around for an extended amount of time was bothering him.

Is this normal/relatively healthy behavior?

The pup in question:

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

That's not terribly unusual. Some dogs are sensitive to changes in their environment and it stresses them out even if they're enjoying themselves. A few calm, quiet days with some management should get him back to normal, as you've found.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Downhome posted:

That's what I'm worried about. She has been to the vet for it already, so who knows. I'm not sure if it would be covered period though since it is a very widespread problem in the breed, and others like it.

Yeah, that's another factor that could work against you. Generally, pet insurance is worthless. You're better off saving up the money yourself each month.

kiriana
Mar 8, 2011
My pup is 4 months now, has been through puppy training at petsmart which taught us a lot.

He is driving me crazy though still. He won't go outside to pee by himself, my husband or I have to walk out into the yard with him or else he just hangs out beside us or at the door. If we leave him gated in the kitchen with the backdoor open so he can go in and out at will, he will still just pee in the kitchen instead of walking the 10 loving steps to the grass.

He has also started counter surfing, pulling down anything possible he can reach, including but not limited to a plate, water bottles, carrot peeler, pecan cracker, various cutlery and a bag of hot dog buns. Part of me knows it's a phase, but it's hard to have the patience during it.
I think I just needed to vent, and if anyone has any ideas on any of it, I am interested. We have sprayed down every inch of the kitchen with nature miracle. Ahhhh.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

kiriana posted:

My pup is 4 months now, has been through puppy training at petsmart which taught us a lot.

He is driving me crazy though still. He won't go outside to pee by himself, my husband or I have to walk out into the yard with him or else he just hangs out beside us or at the door. If we leave him gated in the kitchen with the backdoor open so he can go in and out at will, he will still just pee in the kitchen instead of walking the 10 loving steps to the grass.

He has also started counter surfing, pulling down anything possible he can reach, including but not limited to a plate, water bottles, carrot peeler, pecan cracker, various cutlery and a bag of hot dog buns. Part of me knows it's a phase, but it's hard to have the patience during it.
I think I just needed to vent, and if anyone has any ideas on any of it, I am interested. We have sprayed down every inch of the kitchen with nature miracle. Ahhhh.

Have you done any training with him to stop the counter surfing? There are a number of videos online that would help with that.

I don't know how much supervision you're giving him but maybe he needs more structure?

kiriana
Mar 8, 2011

luscious posted:

Have you done any training with him to stop the counter surfing? There are a number of videos online that would help with that.

I don't know how much supervision you're giving him but maybe he needs more structure?

We treat/click when he obeys off the counter, but will check out online videos for more ideas, because our way really isn't working.

I keep him crated when I can't be in with him in the kitchen, to try to curb peer get if nothing else. The kids being out of school now, we spend more time outside, we play fetch, and try to do mini sessions with our girls (8 and 3) to get him obeying them. He goes on their playhouse and slides, but we have to supervise because he is still a puppy and gets wound up pretty quick.

He listens a hell of a lot better to my husband as well, which apparently is normal, but is rough when I'm trying to do things with him and it takes much more work, then when hubby just makes him do the same thing with a crook of his finger. I feel like I am rambling.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

JoJo! :allears:

She's biting less.

kiriana
Mar 8, 2011
Max! 4 months old, full of rear end in a top hat-ness and sweet kisses.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

kiriana posted:

We treat/click when he obeys off the counter, but will check out online videos for more ideas, because our way really isn't working.

I keep him crated when I can't be in with him in the kitchen, to try to curb peer get if nothing else. The kids being out of school now, we spend more time outside, we play fetch, and try to do mini sessions with our girls (8 and 3) to get him obeying them. He goes on their playhouse and slides, but we have to supervise because he is still a puppy and gets wound up pretty quick.

He listens a hell of a lot better to my husband as well, which apparently is normal, but is rough when I'm trying to do things with him and it takes much more work, then when hubby just makes him do the same thing with a crook of his finger. I feel like I am rambling.

Don't worry. My wife also gets frustrated when Linus doesn't quite listen to her but will to me. I'm just, more often than not, the one handing out treats so he's just adapted to me moreso.

However, your pup is still only 4 months and just entering that "terrible twos" phase where everything goes out the window. Keep up a schedule with him. If he's being pissy about going in the grass, stay firm and don't let him inside until he goes. Go back to treating/heavily praising for going in the grass if you must. The important thing is to keep a firm hand on what is and isn't allowed.

He's going to grow out of this stage and he'll be a great dog by the sounds of it. Just keep at it.

kiriana
Mar 8, 2011
Thank you, I'm glad to hear of others who have their spouses not being listened to, I don't feel quite as much of a horrible pet owner/pushover. We start another round of training tonight, which I am hoping will help round him out even more.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

kiriana posted:

The issue with this approach is that it requires your direct supervision, and it means that he's already jumped up and put his paws on the counter -- you're reacting as opposed to being proactive. When you're not supervising, he probably finds some periodic reinforcement when he jumps up there. And the best way to create a long lasting habit that's resistant to extinction is a periodic rate of reinforcement. Yay!

I'm sure it's tough with kids, but the best option is management. Keep the pup away from tempting counters with baby gates, etc, and keep counters completely clear. Then you can start working on "leave it" and self control games like Its Yer Choice so he learns to leave tempting smells alone even when you're not around. Nip this behaviour in the bud early, or else it may be a chronic problem. Good luck!

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So Nyx went out last night to pee 3 times in 2 hours and immediately came back in to drink some water. She also peed in the kitchen last night for the first time in god knows how long. This morning she ate all of her kibble except the last two bites. These are small deviations to her regular habits so immediately I panic and start google searching.

Bad idea. Now I think she could have Diabetes/Liver,kidney failure/some disease.

I'm keeping an eye on her but we have to leave for work and she's alone for 8 hours. I don't want to needlessly go to the vet and spend money though. Any risks on just watching her over the next few days to see how she reacts? Any other pups around 1 year act similarly to this?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Relax. Keep tabs on her. She's likely fine. At worst, my guess is a UTI. Keep tabs on her as she pees to see if she's peeing normally, or squatting without much coming out.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

WickedHate posted:

JoJo! :allears:

She's biting less.

kiriana posted:

Max! 4 months old, full of rear end in a top hat-ness and sweet kisses.

Not trying to be mean, but we already have 2 Post Your Pet threads, this is a thread more for questions/issues/frustrated sobbing/etc (said posts are encouraged to have pics though :3:)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Psychobabble! posted:

Not trying to be mean, but we already have 2 Post Your Pet threads, this is a thread more for questions/issues/frustrated sobbing/etc (said posts are encouraged to have pics though :3:)

Okay doke! I wasn't aware, sorry. I'll go post her pics there.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 29, 2014

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So update on Nyx. Took her to the vet this morning to get checked out. She wouldn't provide a urine sample but she had blood work done 2 weeks ago and all of her levels are clean. She's also too young to develop a lot of the problems that she could be having. So we ruled it down to a UTI. Gave her a 5 day anti biotic treatment and we're keeping an eye on her.

One question I had though. As mentioned earlier she is eating less. Started as leaving a few kibbles in the bowl but now she leaves about half of it. She eventually goes back roughly 45-1 hour later to eat but she seems very hesitant about it.

I'm curious if it could be the heat? It's started to finally warm up around here and we haven't really turned the AC on yet. I know when a dogs appetite is affected it can generally mean there is a problem but she does eventually finish her bowl. We're following the guidelines on the bag (50Lbs, 5-5.5cups a day). Thoughts?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

m.hache posted:

I'm curious if it could be the heat? It's started to finally warm up around here and we haven't really turned the AC on yet. I know when a dogs appetite is affected it can generally mean there is a problem but she does eventually finish her bowl. We're following the guidelines on the bag (50Lbs, 5-5.5cups a day). Thoughts?

What kind of food? I know puppies eat more than adult dogs, but that sounds like a lot. I feed my dogs somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 the amount the bag recommends.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Feeding guidelines will almost 100% of the time suggest you feed way, way too much. How's her condition? Okay? Tubby? She may not be hungry.

Not sure about the heat affecting things. It might I guess. My gut says you're probably overfeeding and she's self regulating.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Hell I freefeed Tater just like you're totally not supposed to and he doesn't bother to eat more than about half what it says on the bag.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Eegah posted:

Hell I freefeed Tater just like you're totally not supposed to and he doesn't bother to eat more than about half what it says on the bag.

I don't think anyone would be surprised but freefeeding Artemis means that super isn't the only one with a pet pig. Labs v0v.

Content: We're trying to dial in the right amount of food for her right now, and at about 1 1/4 cups (give or take the quarter cup some days) with a decent amount of exercise Artemis seems pretty good. Probably a little over ideal, but certainly not pudgy. This is I think less than half the recommended on the bag.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
The goofy thing is that when he eventually does decide to eat his kibble he'll down his bowl in one sitting and then paws at the bowl (it's Correll and makes a loud ringing sound) until I dutifully fill it with another cup. Once refilled he takes a look to verify that yes, the bowl is again full, and walks away from it for another 24 hours.

I used to be more precise and measure with a food scale but he's pretty good about self regulating and of course gets plenty of rear end-kicking at the dog park. I weigh him at the groomer's once a month and he's been pretty much static for the past year.

Downhome
Jul 5, 2012
I've got a quick puppy housebreaking question.

We have Betty, our now 12 week old Boston Terrier pup, doing pretty good so far. She sleeps all through the night without making a single sound and without having any accidents. We also have her where when she is in her little playpen she will openly bark and go crazy to let us know she needs to go outside to pee or poo. I'm assuming it's because it is a small little area. The only time she truly has accidents is when we have her down in the floor during "free play" time. We have our big Siberian cat Clancy and most of that play time is comprised of Betty running around chasing him, and then Clancy turning it around and chasing her right back. She will totally stop out of the blue and just pee, no warnings at all. She wont do anything to let us know anything in these instances, and I assume it's because we have a larger open floorplan and she isn't worried about getting stuck near it like she is in her crate or in the playpen.

What steps can we take to make a bit of progress during those free play times?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Downhome posted:

What steps can we take to make a bit of progress during those free play times?

Take her out to pee immediately before free play and pull out a kitchen timer and break every 15 minutes. If she's still having accidents, decrease the time between breaks to 10 minutes. When she is successful for a few days, add a minute.

Downhome
Jul 5, 2012

Engineer Lenk posted:

Take her out to pee immediately before free play and pull out a kitchen timer and break every 15 minutes. If she's still having accidents, decrease the time between breaks to 10 minutes. When she is successful for a few days, add a minute.

Fantastic advice, we will give that a shot starting tomorrow. We do already take her out right before, usually, at least. How will this ultimately transfer to her letting us know when she needs to go?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Downhome posted:

Fantastic advice, we will give that a shot starting tomorrow. We do already take her out right before, usually, at least. How will this ultimately transfer to her letting us know when she needs to go?

It won't directly, but since she already lets you know in other settings this is management in a highly stimulating environment. Eventually she'll grow up. She may also pattern train into periodically taking a break from heavy play sessions, which is a good skill for dogs to have.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
I just rescued a dog off of the street last week, and she (understandably) has terrible seperation anxiety. I started crate-training her Wednesday night and she has taken to it spectacularly, and she's learned sit, lay down, and (mostly) stay already. There hasn't been an accident in the house since crating began, except for when she's crated while I'm at work. Every day I've come home and she's pooped her crate and made a huge mess with it. I wash her off and never scold her for it(she has the biggest guilty-dog face on already)but I have no idea how to calm down the anxiety when I'm not actually present. I walk her 3-4 times every day(once or twice before work and one long walk after I get home and it cools down a bit) and she always pees and poops the volume that you'd expect so I'm pretty sure the pooping is stress-related.

To qualify why I say she has seperation anxiety, whenever I leave her alone(crated or non) in the house she will start to whine about 10 minutes in, then starts getting louder and more frantic sounding until she is yelping. I wait for a gap in it to come back in to try and avoid reinforcing the behavior. She's a really smart little dog and a fantastic learner, but she doesn't seem to be learning that I'm coming back when I leave to go somewhere for more than a few minutes.

Any advice, techniques that have been successful for hard cases, or even product recommendations? My cat was being driven to the edge of sanity by an incredibly loud and active toddler that lived above my old apartment and a calming collar worked wonders getting her to chill out and learn that the thumping wasn't actually a danger. I have no idea whether the dog ones do anything, or if they're just snake oil. This pup learned to go into her crate and sleep there with the door open in a single afternoon so she's certainly capable of learning quickly, I just must be going about it the wrong way.

E: here's what she looked like when I rescued her off the street last Saturday - filthy, starving, and covered in fleas:

And here she is now:

(I feed her in the crate and leave it open when I'm home, she will occasionally go lay down on her own and snooze in it. Or if I'm in the kitchen, sit in it and hope for treats. I take the food and water out while I'm gone so she can't load up her bladder and get in a position for a peeing accident)

Kilersquirrel fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jun 2, 2014

Downhome
Jul 5, 2012
Great job on the rescue KS, that is a beautiful dog!

We obviously aren't going to make Betty stay outside, but we do want her to come out with us when we are doing this or that out in the yard. I did some research and found this retractable dog tie that you put down in the ground and she can run around and around and never get tangled up at all. I highly, highly recommend it! Here is also a video of someone showing what it can do...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmRdOf-U4j0

http://www.amazon.com/HOWARD-PET-PRODUCTS527015-Retractable-Medium/dp/B00DUWMV20/ref=sr_1_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1401729262&sr=1-2

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I think I figured out what's going on with Nyx.

She doesn't like the taste of her food anymore. We brought in another brand of food and mixed it with her existing food and she would pick around it. She eventually finishes the bowl but is not a big fan of her regular kibble. The vet has a satisfaction guarantee on the food so they will take it back and refund.

As for the peeing indoors:

It seems to correspond with when we take her out to play. She would come in and down a tank of water. We would take her back out to pee then leave for a few hours. Yesterday we came back and the backroom was covered in piss. More than I thought she could hold. Likely she was still parched after we took her out and she just filled back up. My plan is to now take her out to play, let her come home and fill up then take her for a short walk to cool her down. If I have to head out for a long period of time I'll avoid taking her out to play an hour prior.

I guess I never had this problem last year because she was too young to really go running outside so overheating/over consumption wasn't an issue.

Any of this sound right?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Kilersquirrel posted:

To qualify why I say she has seperation anxiety, whenever I leave her alone(crated or non) in the house she will start to whine about 10 minutes in, then starts getting louder and more frantic sounding until she is yelping. I wait for a gap in it to come back in to try and avoid reinforcing the behavior. She's a really smart little dog and a fantastic learner, but she doesn't seem to be learning that I'm coming back when I leave to go somewhere for more than a few minutes.

If she's panicking to the point of soiling her crate don't hold out for quiet to return to her - she's beyond the threshold of learning and it won't reinforce the behavior.

Serious separation anxiety is a lot easier to deal with when the dog has medication on board. If you're going it drug free, practice staying in a locked crate in small increments of increasing difficulty.

Something like:

Locked crate with you in full view
Locked crate with you in the same room, occluded view
Locked crate with you leaving the room for ~ 1 minute
Locked crate with you leaving the room for ~ 2 minutes

Once she gets to a locked crate with you leaving the room for 15 minutes, halve the time and switch to leaving the house.

etc.

Do three reps (or fewer if it takes more than 30 minutes) per day at whatever level she's on.

If you can, put her in an exercise pen, a bathroom, or something with a little more room so she can soil it without wallowing in it. I would do that for the times you need to leave her alone until you're pretty sure she will snooze in the crate. You can inadvertently lose the den instinct if the dog is set up to soil a small space and remain there.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
I think I phrased that slightly wrong, I should clarify that she is a-okay with being crated when I'm in the house(and actually walks over to it and sleeps in there on her own when she's tired), it's just when I actually leave through an outside door. She'll whine a tiny bit if I'm still in the house but any noise on my part reassures her enough to quiet down and take a nap.

When I leave through an outside door though, that's when she whips herself up so badly and has a freakout. I did some of the step exercises you listed already on Saturday and had got her to the point of being able to chill while I mowed the lawn, but after about an hour she cracked and started yelping and barking again. She completely reverted on Sunday, which is what prompted me to post in here. The soiling only happens when she's alone.

I think I will try the exercise pen thing, the month turned so I got paid and have a lot more money to spend on her now(they always come at the worst time financially, eh?). I did go to TCAP to get her all her shots, heartworm testing(negative), and onto HW meds(tri-heart plus, bonus partial deworming there) within 3 days of picking her up, so I'm not completely behind the curve here. Just need a vet appointment to give her a once-over for anything I haven't seen and for a prescription for some praziquantel/panacur/whatever to take care of any tapeworms she may have, and to tell me whether she's healthy enough to spay as I want to get that taken care of before she goes into heat(age is unknown but her teeth are immaculate and the vet at TCAP estimated her at 8months-1.5 years). Nice to know that it's not abnormal to go with medication, I had seen things about fluoxitine and other anti-anxiety meds but was not sure if they were reserved solely for the hard cases. While I don't want to be lazy and substitute training for meds, I'm certainly not opposed to stacking the deck with a little chemical help either.

She is a beatiful dog, some kind of westie mutt as far as I can tell, and sweet as can be. She's got a long body and must have dachsund or corgi or something else similarly hot dog-proportioned, because she sits just like them with both her legs sticking out to one side. I had to give her a bad chop job to get all the burrs out and thin out her fur enough to work the flea shampoo in all the way to the skin but she's got that coarse outer coat and super-soft fluffy inner coat and barely sheds at all.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Kilersquirrel posted:

When I leave through an outside door though, that's when she whips herself up so badly and has a freakout. I did some of the step exercises you listed already on Saturday and had got her to the point of being able to chill while I mowed the lawn, but after about an hour she cracked and started yelping and barking again. She completely reverted on Sunday, which is what prompted me to post in here. The soiling only happens when she's alone.

Sounds like you know her limit right now is somewhere south of an hour. Next weekend, plan something for yourself outside and go out for 5 min, 15 min, 30 min, 10 min, 45 min, 5 min, and 20 minutes. Mix it up so she doesn't know how long you'll be out or how long you'll stay in with her - you might take a walk between a couple of training sessions and just come into the kitchen and make yourself a snack another time.

I also have a Westie mutt who objects to being left alone, although her reaction is to frantically attempt a breakout (she's chewed an escape route through a wire crate). Time and a lot of practice crating with me nearby basically extinguished the behavior, but I rarely crate her nowadays since she does well loose with the cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
I may have experienced a little bit of success today, or I may have just lucked out really well. I took a long lunch and ran home today to see how she was doing after 4 hours alone in the crate instead of a full workday, and there was zero poop in the crate! I took her on a short walk and she pooped straight away for me so I may just have beat the clock rather than had some progress, but a day where I don't have to scrub poop off of anything is a good day and a big win in my book. I'm very thankful she's learned that elimination is for outside already, now if I can just get her to understand she should ring the potty bell instead of standing at the door and staring silently at me.