Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Bold Robot posted:

Gonna start a Byzantine game from the Old Gods start, anything in particular I should make sure to take advantage of or avoid?

Cripple the Abbasid as quickly as you can and then tulanids. Take Syria, Crete then Egypt. Leave Armenia till the Muslims are not a threat.

Rumda fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Rumda posted:

Cripple the Abbasid as quickly as you can and then tulanids. Take Syria, Crete then Egypt. Leave Armenia till the Muslims are not a threat.

Yeah, this is about what I figured. I already took Sicily and made it a Merchant Republic. It's like 872 or something and somehow the Abbasids have already started to implode - I wasn't paying a ton of attention but their territory is a mess of revolts and large independent states now. :getin:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Bold Robot posted:

Yeah, this is about what I figured. I already took Sicily and made it a Merchant Republic. It's like 872 or something and somehow the Abbasids have already started to implode - I wasn't paying a ton of attention but their territory is a mess of revolts and large independent states now. :getin:

Lucky you in my Britannia game the Abbasid empire stretched from the Atlas the the Himalayas and took Anatolia and Greece before 900 thankfully the shia took Arabia proper then I won a crusade for Greece. And decadence revolts spun out several Abbasid Emirates but they managed to scheme back to the top.

Rumda fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 30, 2014

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Bold Robot posted:

Gonna start a Byzantine game from the Old Gods start, anything in particular I should make sure to take advantage of or avoid?

Free duke revokes! Some duke being a jerk? Just revoke his title and give it to some content count in the duchy. Use the despot title to pick heirs. Castrate everyone who rebels :colbert:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Really byzzy 867 is easy mode.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

How do you get rid of event troops? I'm playing with the HIP mod and they gave the Liao waaay too many men.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Somehow in the first 50 years of my current game the Byzantines went funky. They are Muslim. Italy controls Greece after a successful crusade, and the Byzantines have Anatolia. They also have the tip of Sweden somehow.

What I'm doing this game is sorta jumping around characters with specific goals (I had nothing to do with those Byzantines). Did the Zoroastrians, then reformed the Norse faith. Now I'm working on the Slavs. Russian soundtrack is really good. I think for my next jump I will try a Muslim of some sort (I think there's a heretic king of Egypt!) or go Cathar if there are any around.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Darkrenown posted:

Free duke revokes! Some duke being a jerk? Just revoke his title and give it to some content count in the duchy. Use the despot title to pick heirs. Castrate everyone who rebels :colbert:

What's the story on the despot title?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Wait...despot let's you choose ehirs? I was under the impression it was for giving born in the purple to non born in the purple children for the purposes of inheritance.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I've somehow lost the ability to legitimise bastards. Is that a bug or has the feature been removed? Playing a Hindu in Sindhi.

(Used to be a decision that could be taken any time with any bastard, doesn't seem to be anymore)

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

I've somehow lost the ability to legitimise bastards. Is that a bug or has the feature been removed? Playing a Hindu in Sindhi.

(Used to be a decision that could be taken any time with any bastard, doesn't seem to be anymore)

It's only a decision for your own children in vanilla CK2. Rather annoying when you have bastards with the genius trait as a republic and noon can legitimise them.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

So my first son and heir has Syphilis. What should I do?

I thought I would just wait it out and hope he dies on his own but my King is pushing 80 and the Son is still alive and kicking at 50, luckily he does not have any kids except a daughter(who obviously contracted Syphilis as well). Can I force him to become a bishop or something?

Assassination? Just suck it up?

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 31, 2014

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Wait...despot let's you choose ehirs? I was under the impression it was for giving born in the purple to non born in the purple children for the purposes of inheritance.

It's been a while since I played a BYZ game so I may be off, but I thought Despot was ranked slightly over BitP. Well, if I am wrong it'll still put them over non-BitP kids if you become emp after a few kids are born.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

At the recommendation of someone in this thread, I decided to play as one of the Occidental counts in the HRE during 1066 start. As I am fighting and stabbing my way to the duchy, I notice that the Duke of Toulouse has rebelled. Check the screen, see that he is a Cathar. I try to grab some land, but he is squished before I can get there. Oh well, no loss.

However, within a couple days of his surrender, I see that he is free and rebelling again. That's little strange, I thought, and don't bother trying to holy war him this time. He loses, but, once more he is free and revolting within days. This time I decide to see what's up. I go to his character page, and see that not only is he a Cathar, but is genius, possessed, and has all seven deadly sins... my neighbor is the spawn of Satan! Every time he lost the revolt, he was imprisoned, but then escaped immediately with his demonic powers. But then the king would immediately try to revoke his title once again.

Eventually, his rebellion coincided with the decennial Holy Roman Vacation in Flanders. With the French army eradicated, tickling warscore eventually gives good old Damien the victory, despite the fact that he has no soldiers. A new king of France is annointed. But within a year, he is dead and who should win the election but the Duke of Toulouse! As one would expect with the heretic Spawn of Satan on the throne, France explodes into civil war. But Louis the Fat, scion of the devil, dies of old age before the wars conclude. The civil wars end and the new king is one of the few dukes that he had managed to convert to Catharism. France has a reasonable number of troops and has stabilized for the moment; things might be looking up! But then 1-province Navarra declares holy war, and the entire Jimena blob comes with it. This was an opportunity I could not pass up, so I jumped in for Toulouse. But the Holy Roman Empire decided to explode at that very moment, with the kings of Bavaria and Bohemia rebelling to lower crown authority against the elderly Italian monarch, while Matilda made her usual play in the south. While chasing around tiny French stacks to build up warscore and prevent recovery, I watched the Germans defeat the Emperor's army and rack up 60-70%, only to lose their own doom stack to a nationalist revolt. Matilda is playing the long game, conserving her army and besieging isolated Italian holdouts. And my heir and his son between them will have claims to Aquitaine, all of Matilda's territory, Savoy, and the Emperor's title itself...

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Away all Goats posted:

So my first son and heir has Syphilis. What should I do?

I thought I would just wait it out and hope he dies on his own but my King is pushing 80 and the Son is still alive and kicking at 50, luckily he does not have any kids except a daughter(who obviously contracted Syphilis as well). Can I force him to become a bishop or something?

Assassination? Just suck it up?

Passing it on isn't a sure thing. I once made a guy in ruler creator with syphilis, and neither his wives nor any of his dozen children caught it. Likewise if I see a genius or strong character with syphilis I'll get them married off anyway, and often their children don't have it.

So if this guy is your best bet for an heir, just run with it. Try to have as many kids as possible, so you get some healthy ones. Marry the unhealthy ones into foreign courts.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

It's been a while since I played a BYZ game so I may be off, but I thought Despot was ranked slightly over BitP. Well, if I am wrong it'll still put them over non-BitP kids if you become emp after a few kids are born.

I think it's the latter - you can give a non-BitP kid priority, but you can't revoke the Despot title as far as I know.

Also for Byz player, make sure to reform the Roman Empire which (combined with holy war) should give you a CB against everyone. Also go after Rome as early as possible, if you can take it before the Crusades unlock then the Pope will have no Holy Orders to call upon.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I'm thinking about trying my first WC game as the Magyars. I've read some people in this thread went from Magyars to the Byzantine Empire, what CB did you use for that?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Raserys posted:

I'm thinking about trying my first WC game as the Magyars. I've read some people in this thread went from Magyars to the Byzantine Empire, what CB did you use for that?

Invasion - which lets you take a Kingdom level title, but if you occupy the top level holding in each county, you take that county as well (so you can assign Hungarian characters to that province instead of having surly Greek vassals), and /any/ county you take the top-level holding of becomes yours, even if it's not in the kingdom you Invaded (so if you take counties in the De Jure Kingdom of Anatolia, they go to you, even if you invaded for the Kingdom of Greece)

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Ok, Ironman is making me insane. Nothing to do with the save time. I've played for 700 hours and I just want my achievements, ok?

The first ironman game I played I tried the local saves, but it told me my save was broken. I've been using cloud saves since then, and often it gets to a point where my save is broken every time I load the game, and I have to delete local files/verify cache, and then I can play for a session and generally have to do it again next time. I've been trying to get SPQR since...forever, and I am 100% certain I had all the territory (every single holding, I went down a checklist), but it just wouldn't give it to me. I tried for another achievement I didn't have (prestor john, or whatever) and it woldn't fire...so I guess achievements just aren't working on that save.

Has anyone had success with local iron man saves? Can you still get achievements that way? Do you have any issues with the save getting corrupted?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Invasion - which lets you take a Kingdom level title, but if you occupy the top level holding in each county, you take that county as well (so you can assign Hungarian characters to that province instead of having surly Greek vassals), and /any/ county you take the top-level holding of becomes yours, even if it's not in the kingdom you Invaded (so if you take counties in the De Jure Kingdom of Anatolia, they go to you, even if you invaded for the Kingdom of Greece)

If it's just a Kingdom title, do they just conquer the whole thing and reform the Empire title from there?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Raserys posted:

If it's just a Kingdom title, do they just conquer the whole thing and reform the Empire title from there?

There are a few ways to do it, because you can't usurp the Byzantine Empire title when the emperor holds de jure byzantine land, and you also can't create the byzantine empire unless you're orthodox, so you don't want the title to be destroyed. Luckily the BE usually has some land in crimea, so just work on taking 80% of the de jure land in the Byzantine Empire + all of the Emperor's land within the de jure byazantine empire, and then usurp it.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

In terms of sheer levies, Italy is one of the most powerful kingdoms on the map. If enough Italian lords were on board, I can definitely see the HRE blinking.

That sounds right, literally every Italian vassal became independent. Even up into Lombardy. It almost made me want to cry, because I'd loving kill for that to happen in a Venice game.

Thinking now, it could have been a combination of that, and an unpopular emperor/ emperor with a small demesne or low martial score. I don't know, didn't think to check.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Hitlers Gay Secret, I now understand and sympathize completely with your plight and the plight of that Dark Ages mod. I've been told to "Stop pushing Mahomet" after bringing up the Rise of Islam again.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ofaloaf posted:

Hitlers Gay Secret, I now understand and sympathize completely with your plight and the plight of that Dark Ages mod. I've been told to "Stop pushing Mahomet" after bringing up the Rise of Islam again.

You're going to have to elaborate, because this sounds hilarious/terrible.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Ofaloaf posted:

Haha, I saw that. I'm still hoping that mod will be good, but they make it really hard.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

You're going to have to elaborate, because this sounds hilarious/terrible.
The 'butterflies' issue was boiled down to "Islam only enjoyed its enormous early successes because the Byzantines and Sassanids were tired, and that's unlikely to happen in most games, so there's no reason it should be as successful in most games". I then argued that the rise of the Mongols was likewise tied to outside weakness in the case of the Jin-Song divide in China and that westward expansion was at least in part due to just one official in Khwarezm being a huge dick, and yet few people have issues with how the Mongols appear and act in CK2. One response to this was

quote:

Red herring. Stop pushing Mahomet.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They seem to be under the idea that it is more dynamic that way but that just shows how they don't really understand how game mechanics work.

Though they are giving him 20,000 apparently so progress I guess.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ofaloaf posted:

The 'butterflies' issue was boiled down to "Islam only enjoyed its enormous early successes because the Byzantines and Sassanids were tired, and that's unlikely to happen in most games, so there's no reason it should be as successful in most games". I then argued that the rise of the Mongols was likewise tied to outside weakness in the case of the Jin-Song divide in China and that westward expansion was at least in part due to just one official in Khwarezm being a huge dick, and yet few people have issues with how the Mongols appear and act in CK2. One response to this was

Who in gently caress's name uses Mahomet in this day and age? Not even kidding here, what :psyduck:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

Who in gently caress's name uses Mahomet in this day and age? Not even kidding here, what :psyduck:
It's still the proper French form for the name, I think. If the same fellow continued on and started talking about 'Mohametans' or some such though, I'd get suspicious.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
So I found a way to do the Feudal -> Republic trick 2/2 times so far. When you offer to surrender, go into MAX speed before you unpause.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Ofaloaf posted:

It's still the proper French form for the name, I think. If the same fellow continued on and started talking about 'Mohametans' or some such though, I'd get suspicious.

Polish as well. I guess it depends on how you transliterate the actual name from Arabic.

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

Belasarius posted:

So I found a way to do the Feudal -> Republic trick 2/2 times so far. When you offer to surrender, go into MAX speed before you unpause.

Well I'll be damned. After failing every single time with this, setting it at max speed worked like a charm. I like this.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

Well yah if they ignore the 100 or so years leading up to the Muslim invasions, including the constant exhausting warfare between the empires and the loving Plague of Justinian, then ok sure it is unlikely to happen. But then they might as well argue that the inability of the ERE to reconquer the West was just a fluke as well, because *vague hand gestures* butterflies and really the Roman empire should start reunited.

Also 20,000 troops woop de doo. De Jure Persia can raise 40-60 thousand depending on vassal opinions. ERE with its 600 borders could probably do the same and more.

e. dudes should seriously just sack up and admit they want to play Khosrau vs. Justinian in the medieval near east.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 09:04 on May 31, 2014

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Bold Robot posted:

My favorite trick while playing Byzantines from the Old Gods start is to Christianize Scandinavia.

Basically, start by taking Sicily in a Holy War. You'll have a bunch of baronies hanging around. Form the Varangian Guard and give them one of said baronies. Now, since most of the counties in Sicily are Muslim, whoever you make the Doux there will start proselytizing them vigilantly. You could also send your chaplain to help them out, but the key is to put them in the county where the Varangians hold a barony.

The chance of converting a single courtier is higher than the chance of converting the entire county, so soon enough you'll start getting messages that some random Varangian courtier has converted the Orthodox faith. Since the moment you form the Varangian Guard Norse nobles will start trickling into the guard, and if you play at it for long enough with any luck you'll be able to convert a large number of the Scandinavian ruling dynasties into Orthodox Christianity. Then it's just a matter of stabbing and you'll soon have an Orthodox Scandinavia.

I'm not actually sure if there's any in-game benefit to this, beyond crippling the pagans, but I just love the trick that I can't not do it whenever I start an Old Gods Byz game.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Sorry about the double-post, but having been playing this game for quite a long time now I've only recently started to understand how holy orders and the vassalization thereof works in the game, so I've got a huge effortpost coming in.

So You Want To Vassalize A Holy Order?

First of all, what are the benefits to vassalizing a holy order?
1) Holy orders are prohibitively expensive in terms of costing a lot of piety to hire and having a really high upkeep in all offensive wars. Having a holy order as your vassal means that you'll get a huge liege discount on hiring them, making them more useful for expansion.
2) Having a holy order as your direct vassal makes it easier to manipulate the succession of said order, meaning that you'll have an easier time getting a member of your dynasty as its leader. Your dynasty being in control of a holy order gives a pretty nice bonus to monthly piety and prestige.
3) It's just cool, okay?

So, Which DLCs Do I Need to Have Holy Orders Available?

There are only three holy orders in vanilla CK2, being the Knights Templar and Knights Hospitaler for Catholics and the Hashashin for the Muslims. Of course, to actually play as Muslims you'll need Sword of Islam.

Old Gods introduced the Jomsvikings for Pagans, but none of the other pagan holy orders were introduced until Sons of Abraham. Zoroastrians do get the Immortals even without Sons of Abraham.

Sons of Abraham further introduced the Brotherhood of the Holy Sepulchre, the Zealots, the Order of Saint Anthony, as well as the Bektashi Order and three more Catholic holy orders.

The Indian holy orders are available with the Rajas of India DLC.

Furthermore, to further complicate matters, some of the content added into the game through DLC has been added into new patches. For an example, while Brotherhood of the Holy Sepulchre was definitely a Sons of Abraham thing, some reports indicate that it has actually been added into the base game via patch. Please correct me if I am wrong about this.

I Can't See Any Holy Orders in the Tab, What Gives?

Basically, all the holy orders in the game have a certain set of criteria for them to become available. These are the ones I'm aware of:
1) All pagan faiths (with the exception of Norse) unlock their holy orders shortly after the religion has been reformed.
2) Judaism gets Zealots the moment you have rebuilt the temple and re-established the Jewish High Priesthood via event.
3) Zoroastrianism gets Immortals the moment you have reinstated the Zoroastrian High Priesthood via event.
4) The Catholic Holy Orders unlock during certain years in the game, or when a certain other condition is met. For an example, the Knights Hospitaler and Knights Templar will automatically form should the Byzantine Empire be held by a non-Christian, and all the other orders may unlock early should certain other Christian lands (mainly in France and Germany) fall under non-Christian rule.
5) Brotherhood of the Holy Sepulchre form when Antioch and Jerusalem are in the hands of an Orthodox ruler and the local religion in both is Orthodox.
6) The Order of Saint Anthony forms when Alexandria, Makuria and Aksum are held by a Miaphysite ruler and the local religion is Miaphysite.
7) The Muslim holy orders, the Hashashin for Shia and the Bektashi Order for Sunni, form by event, the Hashashin forming shortly after the Stamford Bridge start, and the Bektashi Order forming once Sunni Jihads are unlocked. However, for the Bektashi Order to unlock, the year needs to be either 1228 or Baghdad, Cairo, Damascus, Jerusalem, Mecca or Medina needs to be held by a non-Muslim.
8) The Jomsvikings will appear by event after 920 provided one of the following provinces in Pomerania is held by a Norse (reformed or unreformed) ruler: Stettin, Wolgast, Rugen, Werle. Do note that if any of these counties is held by a Slavic ruler, it'll have a different name. If you have already reformed the Norse faith, the Jomsvikings will also be reformed Norse.
9) The Indian religions start with their holy orders already unlocked, so that's nice.
10) Likewise, Nestorians always have access to the Order of Saint Addai.

Holy Orders: How To Vassalize

Vassalizing a holy order works just like vassalizing any other ruler through the diplomacy tab for the said ruler. However, they will generally not accept vassalization. This is for the following reasons:
1) As holy orders are titular titles, they don't have de jure lieges, meaning that they will always get the "Not my de jure liege" malus.
2) Holy orders are on the same level as duchies as far as title strength goes. In general, even de jure vassals in your realm won't accept vassalization if you are only one step above them in power.

There is one notable exception: if you are a Catholic ruler and hold the title of the Kingdom of Jerusalem, you can always vassalize the Knights Hospitaler and Knights Templar via a decision. Beyond that, this is the way to go to vassalize a holy order:
1) Be an emperor. This offsets the aforementioned malus for relative power.
2) Be of the same culture. Foreign rulers take a huge malus towards vassalization which is enough to offset all the bonuses for power and opinion.
3) Have them be inside your realm. The malus for trying to vassalize someone far outside your realm is often enough to make them not accept vassalization.

1 and 3 are easy: the first one is just a case of expanding enough while the third is just a matter of having a barony on hand to give to the order. However, the cultural requirement makes things somewhat more tricky.

Cultural Appropriation 101

In general, when a holy order first spawns it will only exist as a titular title with no land under it, with a bunch of randomly generated characters residing in the court of the holy order. A lot of the time the cultural requirement will be easy to fulfill (i.e. if you're the Fylkir of the Norse faith and Emperor of Scandinavia, you'll most likely be Norse, which happens to be the culture with which Jomsvikings spawn) and other times you'll get lucky (i.e. reforming Tengri as Hungary and the Lords of the Sky spawning as Hungarians). However, at other times you may find yourself in a situation where you're the Persian Saoshyant, Emperor of Persia, and the coolest guy ever in general, and the Immortals won't accept your vassalization because their leader happens to be Afghan.

There are a couple of ways to fix this:
1) As of Rajas of India, rulers are now allowed to change their culture to the local culture of their capital county once in their lifetime. If you have a county in your demesne where the local culture matches the culture of the holy order you want to vassalize, it's as simple as making that county your capital and using the decision to flip to said culture.
2) You can also subtly manipulate the culture of characters appearing in the court of a holy order by giving them a landed title in a province with the appropriate culture. In a fashion similar to how random new mayors and priests spawn in provinces, holy orders sometimes get additional courtiers from some strange holy order dimension, and the culture of said random courtiers is affected by the culture of the province held by the order.

A lot of the above advice can also be applied in order to vassalize religious leaders, but there are fewer tangible benefits to having the leader of your religion as a vassal than to having a holy order as your vassal. (Exception: having the Pope as your vassal is awesome.) Religious leaders, with the exception of the Pope as of Sons of Abraham, spawn from a strange priest dimension with a culture assigned to them based on where they hold court. Religious leaders start with just their titular title and not land, so to make sure that the newly created Romuva Church stays properly Lithuanian, you will want to give them a temple in a county with the Lithuanian culture. Also, if a religious leader holds a holy site (temples specifically marked as such in the religion window) the religion will get a blanket +5% to its moral authority, so that's fun.

Or, The Easier Way...

Landed holy orders produce claimants upon succession just like any other landed title. If you manage to invite a claimant to the title to your court, you can press their claim on the title as normal, vassalizing them provided they are your de jure vassal. However, this is not as easy as it sounds, as people in holy orders generally have a malus called "Found my calling" to invitations, representing their newly found faith in the cause of killing infidels in a cool warrior brotherhood.

I hope people will find this informative. As said, vassalizing holy orders has always been one of the most obtuse mechanics of this game to me, so I thought it might help people to compile everything I know about said subject in one place.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 31, 2014

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Ofaloaf posted:

But all heresies are named after their founders, like Gnosticism, Catharism, Lollardy, Fraticelli.... :downs:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
One addition to that: the majority of holy orders are only available in Sons of Abraham; if you don't have it, Catholics and Muslims have fewer holy orders and basically everyone else has none. Without SoA, the only Pagan holy order is the Jomsvikings (non-Norse pagans get nothing), and Christian offshoots like Orthodox don't get any holy orders either.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

One addition to that: the majority of holy orders are only available in Sons of Abraham; if you don't have it, Catholics and Muslims have fewer holy orders and basically everyone else has none. Without SoA, the only Pagan holy order is the Jomsvikings (non-Norse pagans get nothing), and Christian offshoots like Orthodox don't get any holy orders either.

Man, I can't believe I forgot such a basic point from my big infodump post. I'll edit that in there. Thanks. :)

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ratpick posted:

2) Stabbing. Once holy orders form, young nobles from all over the place will start joining said holy order, hoping to fight against infidels in defense of their faith. As a ruler, you may even get an event where one of your courtiers or sons asks to be granted permission to join a holy order. Holy orders follow a type of elective succession where the next leader is chosen based on their piety, martial training and religious traits. A chaste zealous character who is also a Skillful Tactician is more likely to be chosen as the next leader than a cynical craven Flamboyant Schemer. Once you see a member of your culture as next in line for the title, start stabbing.

Stabbing does nothing as whoever is GM will automatically become the culture of the Holy Order.

source: I did this the other day and my Italian cousin become Occitian upon becoming GM of the Knights Hospitaller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Stabbing does nothing as whoever is GM will automatically become the culture of the Holy Order.

source: I did this the other day and my Italian cousin become Occitian upon becoming GM of the Knights Hospitaller.

Ah, so it's not just a Zealots thing. I might have to do a bit of experimentation to see if I can find out what determines the culture of a holy order. I've seen a number of weird things while playing this game, including the Teutonic Knights being entirely Greek and the Knights Hospitaler being Norwegian, so the culture of these holy orders seems to be a lot less deterministic than when this game was launched (when pretty much all Teutonic Knights were German). Alternately they may have been given land in counties held by people of said cultures and have thus spawned lots of random courtiers of that culture in there.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 31, 2014

• Locked thread