Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Is that a helmet for protection or a bullseye for the enemy to shoot at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

double nine posted:

Is that a helmet for protection or a bullseye for the enemy to shoot at?

Looks like a cross between a Monty Python animated sketch and a whiplash lawsuit waiting to happen.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
The top bit doubled as a cooking pot!

No, seriously.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Puts a new perspective on "Boom, headshot!" :downsrim:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Magnetic North posted:

Goddamn, the more I think about DE:HR and the more this LP reminds me about the original, the more HR comes across as an insult.

Actually, HR is a fun game!

Marvel
Jun 9, 2010
I thought I'd check out what this whole "Let's Play" thing was all about so I headed over to the LP forum and started following these, and HOLY CRAP I'm now an addict. I'm seriously looking forward to each new video all week, so thanks Bobbin!

This LP also motivated me to finish my playthrough of HR, and I while playing it I noticed a few cool references to the original, like the old soundtrack playing on the radio. There were also a couple of guards talking about how orange soda was missing from the vending machine.

Here's a list of some of the references: http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Deus_Ex:_Human_Revolution#References_to_the_original_Deus_Ex

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I tried playing HR on the setting that said I was a "Deus Ex veteran" and can't get past like the very first "real" level. I get killed immediately because I'm not a badass nanoman I guess, and the world is absolutely teeming with dudes far more durable than I am, and I find third person sneaking just completely tedious.

So yeah I don't know, I should give it more of a chance and maybe dial it back to babby difficulty but eh.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Paramemetic posted:

I tried playing HR on the setting that said I was a "Deus Ex veteran" and can't get past like the very first "real" level. I get killed immediately because I'm not a badass nanoman I guess, and the world is absolutely teeming with dudes far more durable than I am, and I find third person sneaking just completely tedious.

So yeah I don't know, I should give it more of a chance and maybe dial it back to babby difficulty but eh.

Human Revolution's first level is terrible. I just can't understand why they'd start the game out that way. As soon as you get through that and get your augs the game becomes good, but that first level was by far the hardest and least fun part of the game on my first playthrough. On subsequent playthroughs it's not quite so bad because you kind of know what you're doing, but even on NG+ they still make you go through it with no augs, which is incredibly disappointing.

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.

Tiggum posted:

Human Revolution's first level is terrible. I just can't understand why they'd start the game out that way. As soon as you get through that and get your augs the game becomes good, but that first level was by far the hardest and least fun part of the game on my first playthrough. On subsequent playthroughs it's not quite so bad because you kind of know what you're doing, but even on NG+ they still make you go through it with no augs, which is incredibly disappointing.

That's pretty subjective, honestly. :shrug:

You'll never have a problem with the tutorial level so long as you go for the head when you shoot your targets. I've never been hit more than once or twice during that segment so long as I have remembered to do that, even on Hard difficulty.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
All I know is I snuck past some people and was pretty much okay with that because that's classic DX, and I thought that was pretty good, and then I was in a warehouse with at least 6 guys all in separate places who could all see one another, and all I had was a gun that made a ton of noise. Engaging or being spotted by one of any of those dudes would cause dudes to come from every single direction and if I got caught by a burst I died. I basically quit when I realized I couldn't see half the dudes who would show up to kill me, so I couldn't figure out their patrols and didn't feel like trying. I will give it another go at some point but the fact that I went to raid a warehouse with something stupid like 2 magazines in a lovely rifle was annoying also.

I'm talking about after the on-rails no-aug level, by the way, after you get your augs, the very first mission. The tutorial mission I found really simple by yeah, just basically shooting dudes in the brain box all the time.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

That's pretty subjective, honestly. :shrug:

You'll never have a problem with the tutorial level so long as you go for the head when you shoot your targets. I've never been hit more than once or twice during that segment so long as I have remembered to do that, even on Hard difficulty.

Just beware, if you're going for the Pacifist achievement you can't kill people in the prologue either.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

But it looks so cool when you go for the lethal takedowns. My favorite is Adam's hand becoming a claw, grabbing a guy's head by the face and doing a full rotation.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Paramemetic posted:

All I know is I snuck past some people and was pretty much okay with that because that's classic DX, and I thought that was pretty good, and then I was in a warehouse with at least 6 guys all in separate places who could all see one another, and all I had was a gun that made a ton of noise. Engaging or being spotted by one of any of those dudes would cause dudes to come from every single direction and if I got caught by a burst I died. I basically quit when I realized I couldn't see half the dudes who would show up to kill me, so I couldn't figure out their patrols and didn't feel like trying. I will give it another go at some point but the fact that I went to raid a warehouse with something stupid like 2 magazines in a lovely rifle was annoying also.

I'm talking about after the on-rails no-aug level, by the way, after you get your augs, the very first mission. The tutorial mission I found really simple by yeah, just basically shooting dudes in the brain box all the time.

That, uh, that doesn't sound like the game I was playing. You should have had an option to get a silenced tranquliser rifle on the helicopter ride to the level, there's a silenced gun really early on in the level if you explore around a bit, and you can instantly KO/kill people by being next to them and tapping/holding Q (never hold Q). Hide bodies, or kill people before they see bodies.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Dabir posted:

That, uh, that doesn't sound like the game I was playing. You should have had an option to get a silenced tranquliser rifle on the helicopter ride to the level, there's a silenced gun really early on in the level if you explore around a bit, and you can instantly KO/kill people by being next to them and tapping/holding Q (never hold Q). Hide bodies, or kill people before they see bodies.

Another option is to just sneak through without engaging anyone

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah but I think we were operating under the assumption that he was, in fact, engaging people because he's having trouble with the sneaking bit

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

AugmentedVision posted:

Another option is to just sneak through without engaging anyone

Yeah, this is why the Ghost bonus exists in DX:HR, so you can still get a sizeable XP boost for not doing anything to anyone. It's usually more tempting to take out at least a few of the guys but you can do a zero knockouts run of DX:HR.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Dabir posted:

Yeah but I think we were operating under the assumption that he was, in fact, engaging people because he's having trouble with the sneaking bit

Agreed, but I think you have to get used to the idea of sneaking without fighting to get through some of the later sections in a reasonable fashion (without a completely min/max powergaming attitude).

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

It's totally possible to knock everyone out and get the Ghost bonus though. Furthermore, it's usually possible to sneak to the end of the level, get every sneaky bonus, then go back and knock everyone out for that sweet xp.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dabir posted:

My biggest problem with the sneaking, even over the fact it isn't fun, is it doesn't make a drat lick of sense.

Like, you're in charge of security. People are shooting up the building. Your job is to protect the company's employees.

And you do this by... sneaking past the mercenaries until you get a cutscene.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

chiasaur11 posted:

My biggest problem with the sneaking, even over the fact it isn't fun, is it doesn't make a drat lick of sense.

Like, you're in charge of security. People are shooting up the building. Your job is to protect the company's employees.

And you do this by... sneaking past the mercenaries until you get a cutscene.

We're back to talking about the pre-aug mission again, right?

I don't understand why that doesn't make sense. It's you plus a handful of security guards (who are probably all dead) vs. a small army. I assume someone's already called the cops or whatever, you're just staying out of sight so you don't get killed. Maybe trying to figure out what's going on and probably trying to sneak to Megan so you can save her.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dabir posted:

Tranquilliser darts and stun gun ammo are kind of rare though. It's weird that in a game that supposedly promotes stealthy and non-lethal solutions there is so much ammunition for bullet weapons but you basically have to hoard the non-lethal stuff right from the beginning if you want enough to be useful. Combat rifle, shotgun, machine pistol and pistol ammo is everywhere and almost every bad guy will drop one of those types (and with decent aim you don't really need much anyway), but the other stuff is far less common and often requires you to search in lockers and drawers to find it. The director's cut version makes it much easier by giving you a second regenerating energy charge though, because that way you can use mêlée takedowns much more frequently.

Xander77 posted:

It's totally possible to knock everyone out and get the Ghost bonus though. Furthermore, it's usually possible to sneak to the end of the level, get every sneaky bonus, then go back and knock everyone out for that sweet xp.
You can even get the ghost thing if you kill people, just so long as they die without seeing you. And there's that one side-quest that the undercover cop gives you where you get a bonus for not being seen. It makes no sense that a witness who doesn't live to tell anybody would count against you for that, but it does, because it just uses the exact same standard. Although it also makes no sense that killing every single person in Derelict Row would be an acceptable way to do that mission but it totally is.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I killed the entire police station as a ninja mans. That was hard and there were a few bits where I had to use flash bangs to get melee kills. No consequences!

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Despite my earlier criticism, I don't really mind DX:HR.

If I do have any major complaints its that I find the stealth gets really lazy pretty quickly. You start out with a bit of tricky sneaking, using vents and so forth. But a great deal of the game there's basically only one way to approach stealth. The level lay out is generally just a bunch of cover obstacles of your choice, office cubicles, boxes or what have you and all the enemies are mostly just patrolling within the inner area with a perimeter that's completely guard free. All you have to do is slink around the perimeter of the area you're in and the "challenge" is just diving from cover to cover. I feel this becomes really blatant by the time you reach that news building in Montreal that I've forgotten the name of.

BaronHead
May 27, 2007
Allow me to fetch my rapier.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Actually, the reason they take away all your augs and items is because it was originally a stand-alone DLC you could play at any point from the main menu. They only integrated it into the main plot when they re-released it as part of the Director's Cut, and since the DLC was already balanced around the idea of scrounging for gear, they only give back your inventory and Praxis at the end.

Reminds me of the Dead Money DLC for Fallout New Vegas. Oh god the radios... the radios.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I stand by my belief that Dead Money is the best Resident Evil game ever made.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
DX-HR has some weird issues when you do things out of order. There's a mission where you have to deal with some gang bangers holed up in an apartment. There's one guy that spawned leaned up against a wall in the bedroom. You're supposed to aug-vision notice he's there and do your Kool-Aid man takedown to take him out. But if you've taken that wall down before the mission. He'll be leaning against nothing. And since the section of wall he's leaning on doesn't exist you will do a regular takedown which has a very good chance of changing his Y position enough that he'll get embedded in the non-destroyed section of wall and violently collision detect through the floor.

Tiggum posted:

Tranquilliser darts and stun gun ammo are kind of rare though. It's weird that in a game that supposedly promotes stealthy and non-lethal solutions there is so much ammunition for bullet weapons but you basically have to hoard the non-lethal stuff right from the beginning if you want enough to be useful. Combat rifle, shotgun, machine pistol and pistol ammo is everywhere and almost every bad guy will drop one of those types (and with decent aim you don't really need much anyway), but the other stuff is far less common and often requires you to search in lockers and drawers to find it. The director's cut version makes it much easier by giving you a second regenerating energy charge though, because that way you can use mêlée takedowns much more frequently.

Yeah, the game rewards nonlethal takedowns mostly because your ability to do them is limited by energy and supplies. It would be nice if takedowns didn't take energy (or if the nonlethal ones were half as fun to watch as the lethal ones) but I think the game expects you to abandon stealth at some point if the revolver that shoots grenades is any indication.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What I hate about the lethal takedowns in HR is how punching a dude, breaking his arm and then flipping him over and stomping on him (non-lethally, of course!) while the target of Jensen's ire grunts and groans and yelps the entire time, is somehow less noisy than covering the same man's mouth with your hand and ramming several feet of steel through his heart quick and clean. It's bizarro stealth.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Merry Marauder posted:

The top bit doubled as a cooking pot!

No, seriously.

Holy poo poo, you're right.

http://www.weirduniverse.net/blog/comments/albert_bacon_pratts_helmet_gun/

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Pvt.Scott posted:

What I hate about the lethal takedowns in HR is how punching a dude, breaking his arm and then flipping him over and stomping on him (non-lethally, of course!) while the target of Jensen's ire grunts and groans and yelps the entire time, is somehow less noisy than covering the same man's mouth with your hand and ramming several feet of steel through his heart quick and clean. It's bizarro stealth.

There's also the +10xp solely for doing a non-lethal anything. And the fact that if you miss a dude's head with a bullet, they'll become aware of you and sound the alarm, but if you miss a dude's head with the tranq rifle, they'll wander around for a little longer before collapsing. I can think of absolutely no reason to ever do a lethal takedown in any circumstance because a nonlethal one will be quieter, take the same amount of time, and give you more XP. They even take the same amount of time, and the lethal one requires you to hold the button down longer.

If non-lethal has no downsides, why even give the option?

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Keeshhound posted:

There's also the +10xp solely for doing a non-lethal anything. And the fact that if you miss a dude's head with a bullet, they'll become aware of you and sound the alarm, but if you miss a dude's head with the tranq rifle, they'll wander around for a little longer before collapsing. I can think of absolutely no reason to ever do a lethal takedown in any circumstance because a nonlethal one will be quieter, take the same amount of time, and give you more XP. They even take the same amount of time, and the lethal one requires you to hold the button down longer.

To be precise, they both take zero time, as Adam teleports to the Fiddy zone to do the takedowns.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Keeshhound posted:

Because the lethal ones look cooler

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Keeshhound posted:

Because gently caress those cloaking guys. They get summarily executed.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The idea is supposed to be that all-out lethal give less exp because it needs less exp, stealthing has a ton of upgrades associated with it but to go in guns blazing you need what, 4 praxis for armour, a couple to make your aim slightly more awesome than it already is, anything else can just go on hacking. Most of your violence-based upgrades aren't augs at all, they're weapon mods, which take no praxis to use.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Maggie Chow being Paul's wife seems to be an idea exclusive to that earlier build of Deus Ex. I just killed Paul off and made it to Hong Kong, and while she takes the news of Paul's death hard (or at least appears to--she is an actor), she never gets more explicit about their relationship than to say she knew him "intimately," which she also says in the video.

In related news, she makes a much more convincing case that she's telling the truth if you go straight to her penthouse without exploring. She even claims to know where Tracer Tong is hiding.
That seems like unfinished areas of a branch of the game where you could theoretically stay with UNATCO/MJ12.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Keeshhound posted:

Knocked out guards can be woken back up by other guards. Dead guards can't. So yeah, it's pretty situational, but there's at least one reason.

(which reminds how silly Deus Ex is about the lethal vs nonlethal thing - knock a dude out and then stab him in the neck a bunch, shoot him in the face, he'll still just be unconscious. DX:HR at least made some sense in this regard)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Well, lethal also gets the Steiner-Bisley GmbH 10mm Zenith pistol, with optional silencer and APS system.

One bullet is enough to kill anything living but the most powerful combat cyborgs, whisper quiet.

That gun is just obscene.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, lethal also gets the Steiner-Bisley GmbH 10mm Zenith pistol, with optional silencer and APS system.

One bullet is enough to kill anything living but the most powerful combat cyborgs, whisper quiet.

That gun is just obscene.

Even nonlethal runs get to use that. One magazine and a giant robot goes *pop*.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I'd rather just use an EMP grenade than waste that many 10mm bullets.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ometeotl posted:

I'd rather just use an EMP grenade than waste that many 10mm bullets.

What else are you going to use them for in a nonlethal run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

What else are you going to use them for in a nonlethal run?

Build a bullet fort in your apartment.

• Locked thread