Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Lynza posted:

I've got a Ninja 300, and it's great on the highway. I know some folks with 250s who don't have too much trouble, but I also think that they're probably going to be upgrading to something faster a lot sooner than I am.

On that note, in about a year or so I'd like to upgrade. I really prefer the sport bike posture. I've ridden a dualie (BMW G650GS) and a cruiser (Suz Tuco250) and while I didn't hate the dualie, it's not my thing. I utterly loathe the cruiser position.

So, if I want to go somewhere around a 600cc bike, what would you guys recommend? I'm not a kneedragger, and I'd like something lighter and more agile that is fun on corners but still has enough power to let me pass slow jerks on the mountain roads to the beach. I'm not concerned about used or new, but I'd like to keep my price range around or less than $10K or so. This would be a commuter bike mainly, and a "let's drive to see a friend in California" bike for the weekends, so something that's not horribly uncomfortable for long rides.
The cheap default option is to just buy a nicely upgraded SV650. The Ninja 300 doesn't really have a sportbike posture - you should go sit on a modern sport bike and see what you want. Ducati Monster is also a decent choice if you want something with a bit more punch but a more aggressive seating position. My personal vote would be Street Triple R - good horsepower, good suspension, nice and upright but not quite dualsporty.

Or you could buy a 1290 super duke and leave it in rain mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

ShaneB posted:

I'm concerned about gutlessness.

Y'all that have been riding for a long time might be all "you're a gutless scrub," but I ride my EX250 in the Loop quite a bit, and it is fun as hell. It is quicker than most taxis and buses, and I can dodge or bash over potholes with few problems. This, plus the fact that downtown is a lawless no-man's land, makes it tons of fun to just zoom around and give everyone the metaphorical finger.

While I might recommend a 690 Duke or an FZ-09 (despite having ridden NONE OF THE THREE BIKES) for crazy urban idiocy, I imagine that if I'm laughing in my helmet tearing around on my ninjette, that I would probably have tons of fun on a CB500F.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Z3n posted:

Or you could buy a 1290 super duke and leave it in rain mode.

Or an RC8 and leave it in it's only mode. :getin:

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I'm right that Buell is no longer a thing (or at least a thing making new Buells besides the EBR thing Erik Buell is doing), yes? Shame, that.

Z3n - Regarding the posture thing, what would you consider a modern sport bike so I can go check it out? I am heading to the dealership tomorrow anyway, so I can go check out some Japanese bikes. Comedy "Stop by the H-D dealership next door and try some FREEDOM" option is also available.

I like the Triumph - am I correct in understanding that they've really pulled out of their "make the worst electrical system/overall reliability bike" phase and can be trusted now? One of the jokes one of my group ride friends makes is that Triumph makes mechanics out of motorcyclists.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Yeah, modern Triumphs are perfectly reliable and the 3 cylinder engine (like in the FZ-9) is a good all-rounder.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Lynza posted:

I'm right that Buell is no longer a thing (or at least a thing making new Buells besides the EBR thing Erik Buell is doing), yes? Shame, that.

Z3n - Regarding the posture thing, what would you consider a modern sport bike so I can go check it out? I am heading to the dealership tomorrow anyway, so I can go check out some Japanese bikes. Comedy "Stop by the H-D dealership next door and try some FREEDOM" option is also available.

I like the Triumph - am I correct in understanding that they've really pulled out of their "make the worst electrical system/overall reliability bike" phase and can be trusted now? One of the jokes one of my group ride friends makes is that Triumph makes mechanics out of motorcyclists.

Yes, Buell is no longer a thing - I wouldn't recommend buying one if you don't like quirky and working on your bike.

Anything that looks absurdly sporty: ZX6R/ZX10R, CBR600/1000RR, YZF-R6/YZF-R1, GSX-R600/750/1000.

You should also check out the "sport standards", like the Ninja 1000, FZ-09, and well...just sit on everything.

The modern Triumphs are pretty drat good - they seem to have the old electrical woes sorted out.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Lynza posted:

GSXR / R6 / R1 / Daytona 675 / CBR600 / etc.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
For naked bikes, are they torture to ride on the highway for long distances? Or just anywhere there might be gusty/strong/steady winds? We do definitely get some pretty steady winds here, especially near the Columbia Gorge and in some of the mountain passes of the Coast Range after they go through and deforest the areas.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Lynza posted:

For naked bikes, are they torture to ride on the highway for long distances? Or just anywhere there might be gusty/strong/steady winds? We do definitely get some pretty steady winds here, especially near the Columbia Gorge and in some of the mountain passes of the Coast Range after they go through and deforest the areas.

The only time I've found myself caring about wind protection is in the dead of winter. I find I'm super hot in the summer when I ride anything with more than a tiny flyscreen.

Fairings are just going to act like sails if you get side-winds.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

Lynza posted:

It was pretty torturous to me early on in the season when we were seeing 25 mph+ winds. Riding for a longer than an hour or so gave me an extraordinarily stiff neck from having to tense it so my head wouldn't bob around in the wind. At some points I felt like I needed to pull myself into the bars from all the push I was getting on my chest and shoulders. In the three years I've ridden naked bikes that was the only time I've ever had an issue. That and the 20 degree ride I took one day. Brrr

On and sometimes the wind makes my jacket flap slightly against my right nipple which gets sore after a while.

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 31, 2014

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Lynza posted:

I ride through the gorge and up around mount hood all the time and I removed my windscreen because all it did was aim a blast of air right at my neck.

Naked bikes best bikes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I haven't ridden a faired bike but I find that on the freeway, just changing the angle of my neck or the relationship of my chest to the tank can turn a reasonably quiet wooshing into a deafening, disorienting air-blast and vice versa. Focus on the helmet and the riding position and you'll probably be able to find something that works for you.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Lynza posted:

With a good helmet, no. I much prefer a naked bike to a faired bike.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

My R1 is faired with a windscreen, it's being able to tuck in out of the wind... until your wrists and back start feeling like little tiny men are driving railroad spikes into them, on the other hand my SV650 is completely naked and it's great, I road 800 miles in two days a couple weeks back, and the wind was not an issue, you just lean in to the wind blast until the force from the wind supports you and takes the tension off of your back, as long as you have earplugs and a decently aerodynamic helmet you're good to go.

Seriously, for a dirt cheap, hilariously fun, readily available, modern, reliable, bike it's really hard to beat an SV, IMO. Plus if the naked is too laid back for you seating-position wise, just get an SV-650S

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Elviscat posted:

...you just lean in to the wind blast until the force from the wind supports you and takes the tension off of your back, as long as you have earplugs and a decently aerodynamic helmet you're good to go.

:aaa: How did I never think of how riding a sport-style like this would make comfort 1000x better.

I am an idiot. Then again, I still haven't been on a bike at more than 25mph yet so...

Still looking for one as well. Just spent a bit of money on a trip to New York so I need some time to rebuild that budget.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Z3n posted:

With a good helmet, no. I much prefer a naked bike to a faired bike.
This is a personal opinion which happens to be wrong. In my opinion.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Lynza posted:

I've got a Ninja 300, and it's great on the highway. I know some folks with 250s who don't have too much trouble, but I also think that they're probably going to be upgrading to something faster a lot sooner than I am.

On that note, in about a year or so I'd like to upgrade. I really prefer the sport bike posture. I've ridden a dualie (BMW G650GS) and a cruiser (Suz Tuco250) and while I didn't hate the dualie, it's not my thing. I utterly loathe the cruiser position.

So, if I want to go somewhere around a 600cc bike, what would you guys recommend? I'm not a kneedragger, and I'd like something lighter and more agile that is fun on corners but still has enough power to let me pass slow jerks on the mountain roads to the beach. I'm not concerned about used or new, but I'd like to keep my price range around or less than $10K or so. This would be a commuter bike mainly, and a "let's drive to see a friend in California" bike for the weekends, so something that's not horribly uncomfortable for long rides.

Ninja 650 is a logical step up from the 300 if you just want one step up. The engine doesn't have as much character as the SV650 but I think stock suspension is a little better. But yeah, get a Street Triple R.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

This is a personal opinion which happens to be wrong. In my opinion.

Well that's just like, your opinion, man.

a terrible opinion

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I hate fairings after owning a faired bike. Pain and a half to get the big one on/off (cause it's held on by approximately six thousand bolts), mounting brackets/tabs snap if you fart too hard nearby, scuffs if you so much as look at it wrong, etc.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

M42 posted:

I hate fairings after owning a faired bike. Pain and a half to get the big one on/off (cause it's held on by approximately six thousand bolts), mounting brackets/tabs snap if you fart too hard nearby, scuffs if you so much as look at it wrong, etc.

I am kind of happy that I bought my Ninjette on the cheap with assed-up fairings, even though I've cobbled together some rattly and ratty semi-working series of kludges to replace half the poo poo I had to remove.

At least I can mess around with stuff like tightening engine mounting bolts and whatevz without spending 20 minutes organizing screws.

On the other hand, I think the fully-faired EX250 (pregen) is a bit adorable.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fairings are nice because they keep you out of the wind and they look pretty cool. Naked bikes are nice because you get to be in the breeze and you can see all the sweet mechanical bits.

I've had both, don't see the big deal really. Bieks are bieks.

I will say that I have a lot of difficulty holding on to naked bikes at high speed so I find really, really powerful nakeds awesome in principle but pointless for me. I think I'm too tall and spindly so it always feels like I'm only barely able to grip the bars; in contrast I managed to hit the 299km/h limiter on my zx10 without feeling this way.

Also fairings on anything that isn't a sportbike or tourer seem completely pointless because it always looks like poo poo and rarely does anything useful. Most run-of-the-mill ordinary semi-sporty bikes look vastly better without them.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I've cruised at 70 for hours on naked bikes and done the same with large fairings, and if you can't feel how much better the fairing is, there's just something wrong with your senses. You don't cruise at 70 for hours, sure you don't need a fairing. You don't like taking them off to fix the bike, fine, I agree, but ride comfort is wildly different with them. Gotta have a fairing to tour at pro level. (BMW level)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I've cruised at 70 for hours on naked bikes and done the same with large fairings, and if you can't feel how much better the fairing is, there's just something wrong with your senses. You don't cruise at 70 for hours, sure you don't need a fairing. You don't like taking them off to fix the bike, fine, I agree, but ride comfort is wildly different with them. Gotta have a fairing to tour at pro level. (BMW level)

The problem I have with faired bikes is inevitably they put your head straight into the airflow. And frankly, the only stream of hot air I want to have to live with is the one coming out of my mouth. If you get a giant enough windscreen, you're staring through lovely, smokey plastic like some kind of scrub, and frankly, at that point, you may as well just take a convertible.

Besides, doing 140 on a naked bike is the only way I can feel anything anymore.

Taking the Super Duke to the track on Monday. :getin:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Highway trips are the only time my naked annoys me. I got about 5 hours to Deal's gap on the slab and it's gonna be rough, sore shoulders by the end.

Well, that's partially cause it'll probably really be 4 hours as I'll be going like 80. Going slower would help but...

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

nsaP posted:

Well, that's partially cause it'll probably really be 4 hours as I'll be going like 80. Going slower would help but...

It's this. I find that 80 gets really fatiguing after an hour or so. Relatively speaking, 70 is a cakewalk.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Z3n posted:

The problem I have with faired bikes is inevitably they put your head straight into the airflow. And frankly, the only stream of hot air I want to have to live with is the one coming out of my mouth. If you get a giant enough windscreen, you're staring through lovely, smokey plastic like some kind of scrub, and frankly, at that point, you may as well just take a convertible.

Electro adjustable screens kick rear end. You can set the height just right so your head is out of the stream but you are not looking through the shield. You can also bring it right down so you don't look goofy in town.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Safety Dance posted:

It's this. I find that 80 gets really fatiguing after an hour or so. Relatively speaking, 70 is a cakewalk.

Meh. I did two weeks of 300-400 mile days on a naked bike last year at, uh, more than 80 and it weren't no big deal. Being able to lean my whole body into the wind was comparatively pleasant if anything. With perforated leathers, it wasn't so much wind in my hair* as wind over my whole bod. Saucy. On the other hand, I find the neck strain from the (half-faired) SV1K I have now pretty tiresome after a couple of hours of touring.

*Because helmet, duh.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

When I reach "70" (180-odd to me) I feel like I physically cannot go any faster because I feel like I'll be thrown off, I don't know how you guys do it.

edit: I'm actually an idiot nothing to see here.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 31, 2014

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Uh 180 is like 110 dude

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

poo poo sorry I can't do maths for poo poo apparently.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I think I know why you keep getting in trouble bro.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
lol

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

I think I know why you keep getting in trouble bro.

:haw:

tjones
May 13, 2005
I think it is something you get used to. I ride a lot of highway miles on an r6 and being 6'1" doesn't help things. I don't like to tuck unless I'm hitting 100+ mph so normally I ride 85ish bolt upright.

The only thing I hate is when you get side winds and you strain to keep your neck straight. I've done 10 hour days and while exhausted at the end of the day, you don't really feel it until the morning. Sore neck and shoulders and all that.

I've been planning a trip to the gap for over two months now but by every week's end something comes up and I have to cancel me disappearing for a few days. I'll be damned if I'm not making it sometime this month, weather permitting.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've found on every sportbike if I'm just chilling on the motorway it's much less tiring to have my left forearm braced on the top of the tank. I guess if you had some sort of cruise control thing you could switch arms to avoid getting a sore shoulder joint.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Slavvy posted:

I've found on every sportbike if I'm just chilling on the motorway it's much less tiring to have my left forearm braced on the top of the tank. I guess if you had some sort of cruise control thing you could switch arms to avoid getting a sore shoulder joint.

Absolutely. I ride more with my left hand off the bar than I probably should. I either prop my left arm on the top of the tank or sit a bit skewed facing the left with my hand resting on my knee. For riding a sport bike, the majority of the time I have a more standard riding position unless I'm deliberately riding aggressive.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This is why naked sportsbikes rock and japanese manufacturers should make an effort to do them european-style like the tuono v4 or streetfighter.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Get a Buell they're reliable I totes promise!
Tour without a windscreen, it's far better than with a winscreen!

Some great advice in the last few pages. Keep up the good work folks.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

slidebite posted:

Electro adjustable screens kick rear end. You can set the height just right so your head is out of the stream but you are not looking through the shield. You can also bring it right down so you don't look goofy in town.

My buddy has a K1600GT, and it has one of these which is pretty awesome (along with every other possible feature under the sun, poo poo has like 3 power outlets) Of course that's a 20 odd thousand dollar supertourer that weighs well over 600 lbs...

n8r, why do you hate freedom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

Can't you get a throttle lock or something?