Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Can I be summoned into those Giant Dream World places?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Alas, it is not to be. Thanks to all my testers from here, but I cannot get the purple phantom to show up online even if I overwrite the code that changes my phantom state.

It's all controlled clientside. Ho hum.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Does anyone know if any stat (dex or agility, I assume) affect bow attack speed?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

pretty sure it's dex.

on that note, what's the best bow that upgrades with titanite?

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I recently got a Chaos Rapier and I've fallen in love with it, but I was also thinking of trying out the Watcher's Shield for a bit, to take advantage of the larger small shield parry windows. But since the rapier has a parry too, I'm worried it'll be redundant. Does anybody know what the rapier's parry frames are like? I don't know which will have the better parry, and if it's the rapier then I just won't bother using a small shield.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Cardboard Box posted:

pretty sure it's dex.

I think the Alonne Greatbow is pretty solid and fits that description.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I should have clarified, I mean regular bows, not greatbows :shobon: I've been using the Dragonrider Bow but it's just too slow for my tastes and I don't want to invest the dragon bones on it

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Cardboard Box posted:

I should have clarified, I mean regular bows, not greatbows :shobon: I've been using the Dragonrider Bow but it's just too slow for my tastes and I don't want to invest the dragon bones on it

That's my favorite bow. I made it into a Magic Dragonrider bow and since I'm melee-rific, good times.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Cardboard Box posted:

It really depends on your build. If you're a Dex build, for example, the Hunter's Blackbow is by far the best. If you're not, you might want to look into the Sea Bow or the Composite Bow (the latter of which Ornifex sells.)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cardboard Box posted:

pretty sure it's dex.

Nope, no stats affect weapon attack speed. Draw speed on bows is dependent on the bows themselves.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Genocyber posted:

Nope, no stats affect weapon attack speed. Draw speed on bows is dependent on the bows themselves.

ohhh okay, that makes sense.

King of Solomon posted:

It really depends on your build. If you're a Dex build, for example, the Hunter's Blackbow is by far the best. If you're not, you might want to look into the Sea Bow or the Composite Bow (the latter of which Ornifex sells.)

I'm 40/40 STR/DEX so I can really do whatever, hahah. thanks for the suggestions though!

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

ohhh okay, that makes sense.

I'm 40/40 STR/DEX so I can really do whatever, hahah. thanks for the suggestions though!

I ended up in your situation, I was using the Dragonrider Bow for a while due to the single shot strength but overall found the Hunter's Black Bow to be much better, less stamina per shot, faster firing and better range made it the superior choice overall for me.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Tallgeese posted:

Alas, it is not to be. Thanks to all my testers from here, but I cannot get the purple phantom to show up online even if I overwrite the code that changes my phantom state.

It's all controlled clientside. Ho hum.

Even so, give us pictures! I wanna see purple phantom.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Never forget.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

that's awesome, do you have a source for it?

EDIT: nvm, found it http://bandygrass.tumblr.com/post/79829663608/ there's a desktop wallpaper version, too!

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 08:47 on May 31, 2014

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I think this is the best example of Belfry PVP I've seen in a long while:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTHnNvr5U6k&t=813s

That entire video is gold but that fight and its ending are fantastic.

Apologies to Baron's for thinking about the bells.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Captain Oblivious posted:

To be fair though, Drangleic Armor is pretty good looking.

Tonight I upgraded my Alonne set to be better than my Drangleic, and I kind of regret it because it looks so much worse on my fat dude.

It's lighter and better though, so I really have no reason not to wear it at this point.

Also I can parry with a Scimitar versus certain enemy Hollows now. Maybe I should try it against The Pursuer in Smelter Demon's chamber now, since apparently I can't loving kill him worth a poo poo unless a pair of Ballistae are involved.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

The real issue with the dragonrider bow is that heavy stamina cost. I've noticed that any time you dip below minimum stamina with a bow shot it takes extra long to draw, and you'll be doing that a lot with the dragonrider any time you try to shoot two or three times in a row.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
So, the Dragonriders worked for Vendrick, did they ride Drakes?

edit: Did they ride anything at all?

Potato Jones fucked around with this message at 09:46 on May 31, 2014

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I was going to whine about the fact that even though they were nice enough to put a care-bear, bushido bs covenant in the game in the form of the Dragon Remnants, they didn't go far enough, and should have made it so that when you get summoned, you at least had enough invincibility time to throw on a buff or two to match the host. Then I realized that instead of fighting at a disadvantage and whining about it, I'd just run past any rear end in a top hat that did it and play Chameleon keep away until they got bored and committed suicide. Much more fun, and lucrative, because those assholes tend to be extremely high level, and even at only a 10% reward, the souls they drop after jumping to their deaths add up quickly.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The Iron Rose posted:

Even so, give us pictures! I wanna see purple phantom.

Here you go!

It even has a "ranked up" shiny version like red and blue do. Only red, blue, and purple have ranked up versions, no Super Sunbro here.

It's right next to the Abyss Spirit color, so most likely it is the original version of an Abyss Phantom.

It really is a terrible shame I can't get it to go over online. I think it's very pretty.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 10:05 on May 31, 2014

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011

Potato Jones posted:

So, the Dragonriders worked for Vendrick, did they ride Drakes?

edit: Did they ride anything at all?

If they didn't ride Drakes in the past, the Dragon Aerie doesn't make much sense.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

blakyoshi posted:

If they didn't ride Drakes in the past, the Dragon Aerie doesn't make much sense.

Who knows? Aldia is a weird dude. I think they're naturally occurring, but maybe he built the drakes?

The lady who minds the first three fire keepers says there used to be four. Nobody brings this up in regards to the creation of the emerald herald. Was she both a dragon-born mistake as well as an attempt at an undying fire keeper? What happened between DS1 and DS2 to change the fire keepers? We can easily assume it wasn't a brief change.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Vanderdeath posted:

I think this is the best example of Belfry PVP I've seen in a long while:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTHnNvr5U6k&t=813s

That entire video is gold but that fight and its ending are fantastic.

Apologies to Baron's for thinking about the bells.

That was a fantastic video, I have no idea what weapons he was using but they looked freaking awesome, especially that twinblade great sword thingy. I was really hoping he was gonna do the other place as well, maybe see the ballista get some action. I have invaded there a poo poo ton but I've never once seen it wing the host, or anybody for that matter.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Potato Jones posted:

What happened between DS1 and DS2 to change the fire keepers?

Several hundreds of years. :v:

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I'm laughing so hard

I was doing Iron Keep bridge fight clubs, and me and this other red were fighting each other. close match, but he beats me in the end.

as he's starting to bow, I remember that I was wearing the Old Sun Ring. which promptly explodes and kills him.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

TheRagamuffin posted:

Several hundreds of years. :v:
Wakka wakka wakka. I meant their position of power. In DS1, Anastacia is kept locked away, her tongue cut out, until she is killed for real. When you bring her back, in proper shape, she is unhappy, but the job still needs doing and it still happens. Why do the three existing fire keepers act like they have no purpose anymore and why do they ignore, as their minder indicates, that they're missing a fourth?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They've been through this a few times already. "Oh why bother tending the fires when some dickhead is just going to link the first flame again? Let's just sit on our asses and get wasted every day!"

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I am terrible at this game.

I thought I was getting better but vs. the pursuer I either get caught on the edge of his arc and get stunlocked then die. block, then can't get a hit in before having to block again, run out of stamina, die or get a hit in then immediately get hit before I can raise my shield and die.

Should I just try and poke him with a spear doing 5 damage or something?

Also I have not seen a single summon sign anywhere in the entire game (one red sign once now that I think about it) so far which seems....odd.

Edit: trip report spears - managed three hits with a puny 50 damage then got stunlocked and died. Went back to the flaming longsword , got hit twice and died before my shield could raise.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 10:45 on May 31, 2014

fuxxo
Feb 17, 2010

Fucking Pokemon, how do they Surf?

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Also I have not seen a single summon sign anywhere in the entire game (one red sign once now that I think about it) so far which seems....odd.

You didn't talk to a stone in majula and join a covenant, did you?

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

SynthOrange posted:

They've been through this a few times already. "Oh why bother tending the fires when some dickhead is just going to link the first flame again? Let's just sit on our asses and get wasted every day!"
Really? I mean, they are mysterious and oblique from the get-go, but four becoming three and nobody paying it any mind ... that's odd. Was the fourth stolen by Aldia to build Shananlotte? Navlaan, who is wholly unreliable, calls her "the last fire keeper, but they say a lot of things ... ", "that she's a gentle shepherd, lighting the way for you cursed fools ... nonsense."

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Uh, the forth was in the intro, you met her before jumping in the whirlpool. Maybe the other 3 found the spinning wheel was obnoxiously grating and noisy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXY1MzMM06c

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

fuxxo posted:

You didn't talk to a stone in majula and join a covenant, did you?

Nope, just double checked with the cat thing and no covenants. I think I have the SE asia version of the game one Steam though I'm in Europe....cross region play is active though and I see phantoms and messages all over the place just no actual summons.

Edit: Oh wait am I being a dumbass and you have to be human to summon people like in DS1? I've basically stayed hollow the entire game so far.... when I played DS1 I was on the xbox without live so I got kind of used to just being hollow all the time.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

SynthOrange posted:

Uh, the forth was in the intro, you met her before jumping in the whirlpool. Maybe the other 3 found the spinning wheel was obnoxiously grating and noisy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXY1MzMM06c
Aw dang, I only watched that the first time through. Totally right. Drinkin' and Soulin', can't figure what's what.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Not to ask a stupid question, but 1)Are you human? and/or 2)Did you burn a human effigy?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

Not to ask a stupid question, but 1)Are you human? and/or 2)Did you burn a human effigy?

Confirmed. I am a dumbass. For some reason I thought that mechanic had changed. At least now I can look forward to the use effigy -> summon ->die anyway -> run out of effigies cycle instead!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nah, its easier than that. Drop a white sign/small white sign and if you finish helping your host, you return to your world, human.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

SynthOrange posted:

Alternatively, did you join Company of Champions?

e: Whoops, should have refreshed before posting.
e2: Also beaten. I should probably just sleep for a while.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

Nah, its easier than that. Drop a white sign/small white sign and if you finish helping your host, you return to your world, human.

Son of a bitch. Just did this by the last giant, immediately summoned, killed it and now I'm human again. Normally I'd say "that's what I get for not reading the manual" but honestly every time I've tried to work out how online works from FAQs I've got confused and given up.

Edit: And I just cleared straight through all the old knights at Heides tower and finally got that stupid ring.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 11:32 on May 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

just fought someone who must have been soul level hacked, because killing them gave me 200k souls.

it didn't help them any because they were pretty bad.