Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Roy Koopa is pretty much the best thing to ever happen to the series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqbOGanV7Sg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINK HELCH
Oct 24, 2004
My God, it's taking over america!

Lobster Harmonica posted:

Roy Koopa is pretty much the best thing to ever happen to the series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqbOGanV7Sg

That was amazing, 12 characters unlocked and still no Roy, I'm so close.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Is it just a camera effect that makes the Blue Shell look so big when it's far away in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsbzmsCjiSY

Wish the game had some better editing options. The Waluigi shove when the Blue Shell makes an appearance cracks me up (sorry for the sound effects)

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
MK8 is pretty alright, but it's far from perfect. It's basically "More Of (game you liked)" personified, except they made battle mode complete rear end and basically killed the interest most of my friends had for the game, so a lot of them aren't even considering buying it. Forcing me to look at the gamepad for the map or the other racer's items feels like a step backwards for the game as a whole, and isn't a 'feature' I've ever wanted in a console Mario Kart. There's a lack of stuff to do in single player beyond simply racing the AI: no extra challenges to strive for outside of three starring the cups, and a lack of All-Cup mode means that the final challenge is ultimately just "do it again, in MIRROR MODE." Online Multiplayer has been laggy as all hell for me, which has me strongly considering getting the network adapter for my Wii U, as I think that has something more to do with the fact that my system is on a wireless connection in an apartment complex.

A number of tracks feel REMARKABLY short. I get that's kinda Mario Kart's thing, but the default three laps just doesn't feel like you get a lot of time on each course to get anything done. The final track on Lightning Cup looks pretty... but it's kinda disappointing to see the whole game capped off by a track you can race through in under a minute and a half (on top of the course itself still being a massive bore to actually drive on).

Pretty happy that the frequency of Blue Shells has been reduced from MK 7 and MK Wii, no game should 'reward' playing poorly with the ability to smack players who are doing well. Also really happy with the Super Horn, though it doesn't appear nearly enough. The nerdrage I've heard from some players after I blocked their Blue Shell with it was the sort of stuff I'd expect to hear in a game of CoD. It's also pretty easy evade Blue Shells with mushrooms, since they heavily telegraph when they're about to hit you.

Bikes pretty much destroy Karts again, kinda wish that wasn't the case. With the Sport Bike and Slick tires, and anyone who is in the heavier weight classes, you can basically poo poo all over any other kart combo 90% of the time because you can take turns so much better than anything else, and it basically also eliminates the need to take certain alternate routes. For example, in Toad's Harbor, there's that section just before the big downhill where you can go on the wall and hit a bunch of dash ramps. However, it's SIGNIFICANTLY FASTER to just stay on the ground, drifting and boosting on the inside of the trolleys, and you'll outrun anyone taking the wall route, regardless of whether or not they are using a bike or a kart.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
How does the drifting work? Is it just hold it for longer to go from blue to orange sparks or do you have to turn direction quickly like Double Dash(?)

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

fivegears4reverse posted:

Online Multiplayer has been laggy as all hell for me, which has me strongly considering getting the network adapter for my Wii U, as I think that has something more to do with the fact that my system is on a wireless connection in an apartment complex.

I don't think it's your connection so much as it is everyone's as a whole, I pulled an online racing all-nighter and random lag is pretty much unanimous

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

AgentJotun posted:

How does the drifting work? Is it just hold it for longer to go from blue to orange sparks or do you have to turn direction quickly like Double Dash(?)

Pretty much this, thought the tighter you try to make the drift, the faster you'll reach orange sparks.

Still the worst decision they've ever done for the series.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I don't think it's your connection so much as it is everyone's as a whole, I pulled an online racing all-nighter and random lag is pretty much unanimous

I haven't seen any lag at all, so it's not something that affects everyone. I'm on wireless but the router's about three feet from the console and there aren't many other signals in the area. I'd definitely suggest trying a wired connection if you're having problems.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

It's definitely not everyone as a whole because I've done hours of racing with zero lag and so have many others

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Bland posted:

It's definitely not everyone as a whole because I've done hours of racing with zero lag and so have many others

I can believe this, because almost every wireless connection I try to deal with in my complex is a shitshow. There's like fifty routers in relatively close proximity of mine, and I've had terrible connection speeds with anything to do with Nintendo since I moved here. I've tried the different channels, I've tried resetting, I've tried different security settings, I just don't get good connections in with the Nintendo Network.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

I've had a lot of fun with this game, but sometimes watching the reels with slow motion is the most fun, it can be down right creepy with the noises slowed down to nightmare levels. Beautiful.

Part of me really wishes they had kept the koopa kids a secret until launch, one of my biggest beefs with gaming news today is that you learn everything, I didn't even actively follow Mario Kart news and still caught pretty much every bit of it. But all in all, it's as much fun as a Mario Kart ever is, and I still dream of Nintendo Kart, wherein I can be Samus driving around in a kart version of her ship. :allears:

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

I was playing around with the audio swap stuff on YouTube, and I think I found the worst song they have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77pZEeYFw5A

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Pretty much this, thought the tighter you try to make the drift, the faster you'll reach orange sparks.

Still the worst decision they've ever done for the series.

What, you actually liked wiggling the stick/mashing the dpad furiously to get boost? That was the worst part of MKDS and you couldn't play it for longer than an hour without messing up your thumb completely.

Forbin5
May 24, 2014

Amppelix posted:

What, you actually liked wiggling the stick/mashing the dpad furiously to get boost? That was the worst part of MKDS and you couldn't play it for longer than an hour without messing up your thumb completely.

Yeah, snaking was a recognized mistake.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Snaking was the best part of the game.

Drifting is kinda stiff and hard to control compared to Wii and MNR. A few of my kart junkie friends aren't feeling it.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Amppelix posted:

The trick is to not mash the gently caress out of the dpad- that poo poo tenses you up and tires your hand out quicker. I wasted a shitton of my free time in 2006 doing time trials all day and playing on wifi all night and it never bothered me

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Bland posted:

Do you think it has anything to do with Worldwide mode as opposed to regional? Was spectating matches last night and would even see people lose races after weird laggy poo poo caused them to teleport backwards in time

Didn't personally experience any huge problems, but there were one or two times where I felt like maybe I was experiencing input lag for a second while playing with people from other continents

Forbin5
May 24, 2014

I didn't have any lag issues last night.
I did lose connection a couple times though.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Do you think it has anything to do with Worldwide mode as opposed to regional? Was spectating matches last night and would even see people lose races after weird laggy poo poo caused them to teleport backwards in time

Didn't personally experience any huge problems, but there were one or two times where I felt like maybe I was experiencing input lag for a second while playing with people from other continents

I've only played in tournaments but I've played against Japanese, American and European players with no notable issues

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Amppelix posted:

Maybe you shouldn't be such a WUSS about drifting in Mario Kart :smugbert:

Forbin5
May 24, 2014

Maybe you shouldn't be such a WUSS about drifting in Mario Kart :smugbert:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Tracks rule, game rules.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Zaphod42 posted:

Tracks rule, game rules.

Most of the tracks rule. Mount Wario and Shyguy Falls are series highlights, but this is the dullest Rainbow Road ever.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I feel like it's a lot easier to hold First online. I mean I spectate, watch a few separate from the pack and the next race when they're in 1st, 2nd and 3rd starting positions, 1st almost never budges because of the lack of items that universally challenge the rhythm of all racers. I guess what I'm saying is that I miss the POW Block and I miss saving it for when the pack leaders went across jumps, it actually gave the pack a chance to diversify but because of the lack of such items first and second almost never budge per race.

That's just my experience so far. The item balance is a little off, I mean the most 4th place can hope for is a mushroom. Anything below 3rd and above 8th gets REALLY lovely items. This makes 1st and 2nd way more safe to be in and stay in than previous games. A little too much maybe.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Sarchasm posted:

Most of the tracks rule. Mount Wario and Shyguy Falls are series highlights, but this is the dullest Rainbow Road ever.

But they make up for it with Retro Rainbow Road being the best one ever. :colbert:

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Anidav posted:

I feel like it's a lot easier to hold First online. I mean I spectate, watch a few separate from the pack and the next race when they're in 1st, 2nd and 3rd starting positions, 1st almost never budges because of the lack of items that universally challenge the rhythm of all racers. I guess what I'm saying is that I miss the POW Block and I miss saving it for when the pack leaders went across jumps, it actually gave the pack a chance to diversify but because of the lack of such items first and second almost never budge per race.

That's just my experience so far. The item balance is a little off, I mean the most 4th place can hope for is a mushroom. Anything below 3rd and above 8th gets REALLY lovely items. This makes 1st and 2nd way more safe to be in and stay in than previous games. A little too much maybe.

You say that but first and second tend to get nothing but coins, forever, leaving them incredibly vulnerable to red shells

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
Happy that I placed 1st on my very first online Worldwide match in Shyguy Falls. Proceeded to watch Luigi loving people over in super-slow-mo. This game is amazingly cinematic. I love the persistent drift marks left in the ground, too. Very good game.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Bland posted:

You say that but first and second tend to get nothing but coins, forever, leaving them incredibly vulnerable to red shells

Yeah exactly, 1st and 2nd will save up a banana all lap and horde 10 coins and wait for the pack to devour 3rd.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

JordanKai posted:

But they make up for it with Retro Rainbow Road being the best one ever. :colbert:

The best part of N64 Rainbow Road was the fact that you could skip most of it with a Mushroom back in MK64. The Wii U version doesn't have that, it's just a one lap course you can finish in your sleep, and occasionally you can trick jump off the waving portions of the track.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

The best part of N64 Rainbow Road was the fact that you could skip most of it with a Mushroom back in MK64. The Wii U version doesn't have that, it's just a one lap course you can finish in your sleep, and occasionally you can trick jump off the waving portions of the track.

I actually think the N64 Rainbow Road is the worst RR of all time by a longshot but the retro update looks so neat and the music is so good. For my money none of the others even compare. :shrug:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Bland posted:

Honestly, both bits are true here. I find it a lot easier to get in first and stay there, but I'm sweating bullets the entire time because my item distribution is coin, coin, coin, banana, coin, green shell, coin, coin, etc.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

JordanKai posted:

I actually think the N64 Rainbow Road is the worst RR of all time by a longshot but the new one looks so neat and the music is so good. For my money none of the others even compare. :shrug:

I agree that it looks and sounds incredible, but its too easy and doesn't have anything memorable about the track design.

N64 Rainbow Road isn't one of my favorites, but at least it has a few gimmicks like the wavy section of track that make it stand out.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
I do not really like the Rainbow road remake. Far preferred the N64 version. Just felt more...grand.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Artix posted:

Honestly, both bits are true here. I find it a lot easier to get in first and stay there, but I'm sweating bullets the entire time because my item distribution is coin, coin, coin, banana, coin, green shell, coin, coin, etc.

Using a coin item gives you a small boost anyway so in the end it helps you out. 3rd gets owned by the horde and 1st and 2nd have a snooze fest until a blue shell or triple reds which both seem to happen twice max per map.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Rainbow Roads are always more fun to look at than actually race on, that's nothing new.

Though the MKWii one was genuinely difficult for a change.

Lame Devil
Mar 21, 2013

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I feel like I'm missing something with the online rankings. So all racers that place above a certain point gain rank points, and below that point lose rank points. But, in each race, more rank points are awarded than removed. Does that mess up the rankings overtime? If I see someone with high rank points, does it necessarily mean they are good? or just played a lot?

Loving online though. Haven't experienced much lag, and 12 human racers is very intense.

Edit: What set ups have you guys been using? I've been liking Light Heavy Characters on Mr. Scooty with Roller Tires. Scooty and Rollers help make up for the lacking acceleration and the heavy higher speed helps me maintain a lead if I get one.

Lame Devil fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 31, 2014

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
welp, my club nintendo code seems borked. Only thing I can see now is a "to-do" button in my account that brings me to an empty PIN registration page (it says "It looks like you are registering Club Nintendo Promotion," like that's the game). Sent them a support email through a form that very specifically asked which free game I wanted though, so hopefully I'll get that when they stop making GBS threads themselves.

Game is still definitely Mario Kart. Pretty fantastic. My fiancee really wants to be Toadette but we keep getting Koopa Kids and Baby Rosalina.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Wild Knight posted:

welp, my club nintendo code seems borked. Only thing I can see now is a "to-do" button in my account that brings me to an empty PIN registration page (it says "It looks like you are registering Club Nintendo Promotion," like that's the game). Sent them a support email through a form that very specifically asked which free game I wanted though, so hopefully I'll get that when they stop making GBS threads themselves.

Yo this happened to mine and it fixed itself, no worries

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Red Shells also seem to gently caress up a lot, particularly getting confused with split paths. WiiU Rainbow Road, GCN Sherbet Land, WiiU Water Park and Mount Wario aren't very red shell friendly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Thank god we all got the Steel Diver franchise tie-in we were pulling for

Rest in peace Blue Falcon

• Locked thread