Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Handgun Phonics posted:

After a party member spent most of their time on an airship cooking and curing meat from the various dangerous / endangered wildlife with attacked along the way, I gave writing a compendium class a try.

The Chef

Any thoughts? Ways to improve it, or other moves that would fit?

I reckon Kiss The Cook would be better phrased as 'You can use a promise to cook somebody's favourite meal as leverage for Parley'. That way there's more room to throw in complications like not knowing what a Beholder's favourite meal is, and the need to obtain and kill the ingredients for it first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ich
Feb 6, 2013

This Homicidal Hindu
will ruin your life.
This question is for gnome7, though others are welcome to chime in:

quote:

Fold Space (WIS) - When you expand your folds in space to make a portal large enough to walk through, tell us two points in space that you can see within Near range and roll +WIS.
On a 10+, the spaces become connected - anyone can move from one to the other with a single step across the folded space, and this fold lasts as long as you need it to.
On a 7-9, the fold is unstable: either only one person can pass through safely, or the fold is unsafe to use for some reason, the GM will tell you why.
On a 6-, you still make a connection, but it isn't between the places you wanted it to be. The GM will tell you what went wrong.

For the The Space Mage move Fold Space for the 7-9 result, who gets to choose whether the portal is unstable or unsafe?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Ich posted:

This question is for gnome7, though others are welcome to chime in:

For the The Space Mage move Fold Space for the 7-9 result, who gets to choose whether the portal is unstable or unsafe?

That's one of those moves where it's intentionally vague who declares it. The GM can say so, or the player can. The GM has the final say, as in most things, but a player going "Oh no, the portal's unstable!" is just fine. If everyone needs to get out of where you are right now, for instance, I think it's perfectly fine for the player to say the portal's just Unsafe, because you all need to go RIGHT NOW. Or if you want to abandon everyone and hop through a safe portal alone, that's your call too. But I imagine in most cases, it's a choice that can be left to the GM. Whoever has the better idea should jump on it.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Whybird posted:

I reckon Kiss The Cook would be better phrased as 'You can use a promise to cook somebody's favourite meal as leverage for Parley'. That way there's more room to throw in complications like not knowing what a Beholder's favourite meal is, and the need to obtain and kill the ingredients for it first.

Oh, that's a good idea, I'll use that.

DirkGently
Jan 14, 2008
In case anyone is interested, I have compiled a new version of my "improved" Ranger (who I am thinking about calling the "Strider") now with expanded animal companion moves. Here is the New Ranger .pdf and here is the New Ranger word document.

Also, my Gandalf inspired Mysterious Wanderer from many pages ago:.pdf , or doc. Seeing gnome7's very nice take on it inspired me to clean things up and do another version.

Any feedback on either would be most appreciated.

Edit: The word documents screwed up in the conversion -- all the text is there but the formatting has disappeared. Use the PDFs if you care about looks.

DirkGently fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 27, 2014

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

DirkGently posted:

In case anyone is interested, I have compiled a new version of my "improved" Ranger (who I am thinking about calling the "Strider") now with expanded animal companion moves. Here is the New Ranger .pdf and here is the New Ranger word document.

Also, my Gandalf inspired Mysterious Wanderer from many pages ago:.pdf , or doc. Seeing gnome7's very nice take on it inspired me to clean things up and do another version.

Any feedback on either would be most appreciated.

Edit: The word documents screwed up in the conversion -- all the text is there but the formatting has disappeared. Use the PDFs if you care about looks.

I rather like the mysterious Wanderer, though I dislike that the Goal/enemy doesn't give you any bonus, you just get to choose a negative. Even so, that's probably a very minor quibble. With a little editing it could easily be adapted for all manner of mysterious characters.

DirkGently
Jan 14, 2008

Arashiofordo3 posted:

I rather like the mysterious Wanderer, though I dislike that the Goal/enemy doesn't give you any bonus, you just get to choose a negative. Even so, that's probably a very minor quibble. With a little editing it could easily be adapted for all manner of mysterious characters.

Thanks for the read through. The lack of bonuses with Goal/Enemy was partially a concern about the 'power level' of the character but mostly a question of space (I really didn't want to make the playbook 3 pages and the template is pretty unforgiving). All easily fixed though.

Anything in particular that you would change to make the playbook a better fit for a generic mysterious character?

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

DirkGently posted:

Thanks for the read through. The lack of bonuses with Goal/Enemy was partially a concern about the 'power level' of the character but mostly a question of space (I really didn't want to make the playbook 3 pages and the template is pretty unforgiving). All easily fixed though.

Anything in particular that you would change to make the playbook a better fit for a generic mysterious character?

Hmmm, having never written a playbook myself I don't know how helpful my advice will be. Maybe try and fit in more move names that aren't related to Gandalf? I don't know if it's just me but they all have a very Lord of the Rings feel to them. (The actual effects are all awesome and this book is seriously challenging the Drider as my favourite playbook.) See if you can find iconic things for other mysterious characters to use instead. I've not got any examples of such characters off the top of my head though. Perhaps a more wide read Goon can chip in where I can't.

If I was going to run it I'd be tempted to add additional options to the Flame of Anor move based on Goal/Enemy choice. Or an additional way to earn Prophesy. But with how much space you're using already be hard to do unless you made a third sheet.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
So I've been working on my first playbook. Inspired by Androc's Summoner and by a Monsters and Other Childish Things campaign I ran for two years. I'm actually planning on writing a few playbooks in the setting. So a little context, the game was set in a series of pocket dimensions contained in a vast number of towers surrounding a great and mighty tower named Babel. At the top of Babel was sealed a world devouring eldritch entity called The Wyrd. But even though the seal created by the sacrifice of thousands of specifically crafted warriors to contain it, its foul energy spills forth. This energy corrupts and warps whatever it touches and its minions seek to topple the lesser towers and free the creature at the top.

The players had Monsters that could absorb the energy and make it safe for their partner. But even so, too much of it was dangerous. Hence the mechanic about resisting the Wyrd. Still not entirely sure about if it needs toning down or not.

There was also a bunch of things about the natural residence of the Towers being Constructs, made from words and pictograms. Their creators, a now dead race which were reviered almost as gods, and a magical language called the True Tongue which had the power to change the world on a vast scale. But those won't really pop up until I write the other playbooks.

What I'd really like is feedback and suggestions on how to improve on what I have so far. A few bits have been taken from Androc's Summoner (Which is seriously awesome, great playbook). But the rest is off of my own head. Any and all feedback is welcome.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_5JoTJwAhskcGhqSjRYT3NmS0k/edit?usp=sharing

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Does anyone have suggestions for running cross-country chases? I'm pondering a plot where my PCs can (if they choose) go running after the bad guys who just kidnapped the crown prince of the kingdom they're currently in. I was thinking I'd hack the perilous journey rules, but on review, the whole "the rolls are for the whole trip between two locations" bit makes me think I need something more.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Do a montage.

Ask the first guy "The bad guys have done something unexpected to slow you down as you chase them, what did they do?" and then take that question to the next person and go "Ok, how did you help your party overcome this?" then narrate what happens because of the nonsense they did. Then you ask that person a thing about what happens and go on to the next person for a response, until everyone gets to do something at least once. Sometimes go around a couple times if you need to. Tailor the questions thematically depending on what you're leading them towards.

I love doing those because it makes you think on your feet just as much as they need to, and usually the things players come up with are hilarious. It also puts your players in spots where they have to solve issues that they'd normally look to another player with stronger skills for that problem to solve.

Think about how an action movie would do a cross-country chase, frame your questions to make that happen. You just gotta strike a balance between how you want the encounter to go and letting your players go hog wild trying to put their next buddy into ridiculous spots they need to work their way out of.

Personally, I almost always lose control of montages though because I end up laughing too goddamn hard at the poo poo my players come up with and I can't think of any way to reign them back in because of of it.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 29, 2014

DirkGently
Jan 14, 2008

Arashiofordo3 posted:

What I'd really like is feedback and suggestions on how to improve on what I have so far. A few bits have been taken from Androc's Summoner (Which is seriously awesome, great playbook). But the rest is off of my own head. Any and all feedback is welcome.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_5JoTJwAhskcGhqSjRYT3NmS0k/edit?usp=sharing

Looks good so far -- although there is a lot to digest.

I like the 'Resist the Wyrd' move but my guess (for what it is worth) is that it won't see a lot of play -- and I think that you want it to be a more central concern. Just spitballing, so this may not match your vision, I might try to incorporate the consequences list (mutation, damage, environment, attention, etc) into gaining Wyrd itself -- so, "every time you gain Wyrd, roll +Wyrd. On a 7-9 choose 1 consequence, on a 10+ choose 2." This would make the corruption of the Wyrd a more present force. Probably you would then want to have some more abilities like the Risky Gamble move tied to the +Wyrd roll so there would be some impetus to keep it high -- maybe everything that the monster does uses +Wyrd or whatever. Finally, for 'Resist the Wyrd' I would probably just give monsters a capacity and let them eat X (say 3) Wyrd at any time. Recoverable when you rest for the night.

If you were to do a full hack of DW, you might even want to remove 'Spout Lore' and have a 'Gaze into the Wyrd' move similar to what Apocolypse World does. But anyway that is just a suggestion, since I would like to see the Wyrd be more central to the feel of the playbook -- but your players might actually work better with what you have now.

The moves in general look pretty good, although (and this is super unhelpful) I would've liked to see more play with the bond between the Bonded and the monster. That is to say, mechanically all of them are good but fictionally, many just seem like expected upgrades. So, for instance, I really like Hiding is my Best Defense since, in addition to being a +Armor move, it exploits the cool parts of this character and make me imagine scenarios where a monster's face pop out of your clothing but 'I Might Know One or Two people', while perfectly serviceable, lacks fictional oomph (even if it were 'You have leverage over anyone that your monster previously terrified' I think that it would be better).

With that in mind, possibly consider giving all of the 'take another monster trait' or 'monster can have more traits' moves or straight '+1 bonus' moves a little something extra fictionally. So, for instance maybe, for "People think I'm weird" maybe add 'The Wyrd rolls off of you at inconvenient times -- when you have a full Wyrd pool anyone who you get angry at -- and maybe some that are just too close to you -- find themselves suffering from the Wyrd's corruption. In addition, take a +1 to resist the Wyrd." I'm not sure that is a great example but that is the sort of thing I mean.

Legacy of Antiquity should just be made into the playbook's Death Move and given to everyone -- I can't imagine that anyone would pick it as 6-10 advance (since it only takes effect on a character's death).

Finally, the Traits look very cool -- although, personally, there seem to be too many of them. It would require a lot of thought for me, as a player, to figure out what I wanted to take -- especially since it is divided into 1/2/3 points AND the various specialties. Possibly having fewer traits and making them more distinct/powerful would help to really make your monster pop. I could use some clarification on what the Monster is capable of naturally -- and I realize that this is mostly a reading comprehension problem. So, for instance, the impression I got from earlier in your playbook (especially from the hiding move and the armor move) is that Monsters have pretty malleable shape -- so I was a bit surprised to see that Shape Change is a trait option.

Anyway, I hope my nitpicks don't sound negative, because what you have is really cool. Given how much you are changing the base DW formula (especially if you want to run a "Monsters and Other Childish Things" style campaign), maybe you also should consider take the plunge and make a full hack (that would not require changing much about your current playbook)? Changing some of the basic moves can really drive home the mood that you are trying to create.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
This is all pretty cool advice, I like the suggestion of making Wyrd mutations more core to the play book. Because otherwise you could ignore the whole mechanic. I also see your point about the moves needing more fiction too them. A bunch are just straight upgrades with no narrative change. I'll have to see what I can do to change that.

There does need to be a few more mechanics/narratives supporting the friendship/bond between man and monster, and I need to find a space to put the death move. Probably should reduce the font size and give me a bit more room to work with.

As to the traits, I wanted some good options to try and give a nice diversity. Yeah, there might be a few too many. But for the initial creation you have three lists to pick from, a max of six points. Given that the Monster is core to the character's capabilities I'd like players to think hard about what they want. With the option of three re-specs at maximum further down the line if they're not entirely satisfied. I want to get some play testing done with it though to see how people find it. I'm not sure how powerful or broken the traits are at this point.

This class is going to be one of a number I'm going to be building. Actually writing a play book for the big construct races right now as they were very important players within the story campaign.

So yeah, not nitpicky. Some pretty good feedback all told!

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Do a montage.

Ask the first guy "The bad guys have done something unexpected to slow you down as you chase them, what did they do?" and then take that question to the next person and go "Ok, how did you help your party overcome this?" then narrate what happens because of the nonsense they did. Then you ask that person a thing about what happens and go on to the next person for a response, until everyone gets to do something at least once. Sometimes go around a couple times if you need to. Tailor the questions thematically depending on what you're leading them towards.

I love doing those because it makes you think on your feet just as much as they need to, and usually the things players come up with are hilarious. It also puts your players in spots where they have to solve issues that they'd normally look to another player with stronger skills for that problem to solve.

Think about how an action movie would do a cross-country chase, frame your questions to make that happen. You just gotta strike a balance between how you want the encounter to go and letting your players go hog wild trying to put their next buddy into ridiculous spots they need to work their way out of.

Personally, I almost always lose control of montages though because I end up laughing too goddamn hard at the poo poo my players come up with and I can't think of any way to reign them back in because of of it.

I was hoping for something more mechanical because this is a daddy-daughter game and two of the players are ten year old girls, who don't always respond well to that sort of pressure. Still, I should try this, because we haven't done anything like this yet, and they might surprise me in a good way. Thanks for the suggestion.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I've been super busy but should be able to get my revised playbooks to zarathud for the icons this weekend, in case anyone was waiting on them.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

Fenarisk posted:

Not really a huge fan of the Bulwark considering my reworked paladin can do something similar, and I can't think of many advanced moves to vary it. Would probably work really great as a compendium class though as an add on to fighter/paladin/barbarian.

Just posting to let you know I think a separate class for the Major Armstrong/Braum from LoL class would be really cool. I understand it's somewhat similar to the Paladin, but not having the focus on a deity actually seems like it could be pretty different. Maybe have the focus be on loyalty to friends/the party?

I would take a crack at it myself, except I'm a) super busy and b) not nearly as good at this as you are.

Anyway, not saying you should make the class if you don't want to, but I'd be pretty keen on seeing it if you find some inspiration.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I've finally figured out where I wanted to take the Peerless/Weaponmaster Fighter and it's mostly done (I just need to figure out something for the Soldier background): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15337665/The%20Peerless%20Fighter.pdf

I've removed the +1 armor from Iron/Diamond Hide since it proved problematic in playtests (the Fighter was basically immortal, between 5 armour, high HP, healing and being able to just shrug off damage from an attack every now and then), added a caveat to Armour Mastery that it only works on damage that doesn't ignore all of your armour, and more importantly changed Signature Weapon into Weapon Mastery styles.

Since the whole point of this was to make a Fighter variant that's the best at making use of their weapons/armour, having fighting styles makes way more sense than keeping Signature Weapon.

Feedback welcome, especially if you have any interesting suggestions for Weapon Mastery enhancements so I can get rid of the +1 damage one.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Compiling the "Prize Fighter" thing since I'm doing Dungeon World stuff for my game tonight, and I was thinking...

Would it be too much if I gave it a sort of spellbook thing to store all of the Momentum Moves in? I was thinking of ripping them out of some of the existing moves (and replacing them with something else, or just leaving them out) and then compiling all of the special stuff you can spent Momentum on into a tiers list under the The Sweet Science move. Like, 5 tiers, every two levels you unlock a new tier to pull moves from, etc.

Figured that would let me have a little more room to add more flavorful, fictioney moves and still have all those neat special moves you can use momentum on. Trade off it's risking the playbook getting way too cluttered.

E: Nah, not going to do that. Seems like too much.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 1, 2014

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I've finally figured out where I wanted to take the Peerless/Weaponmaster Fighter and it's mostly done (I just need to figure out something for the Soldier background): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15337665/The%20Peerless%20Fighter.pdf

I've removed the +1 armor from Iron/Diamond Hide since it proved problematic in playtests (the Fighter was basically immortal, between 5 armour, high HP, healing and being able to just shrug off damage from an attack every now and then), added a caveat to Armour Mastery that it only works on damage that doesn't ignore all of your armour, and more importantly changed Signature Weapon into Weapon Mastery styles.

Since the whole point of this was to make a Fighter variant that's the best at making use of their weapons/armour, having fighting styles makes way more sense than keeping Signature Weapon.

Feedback welcome, especially if you have any interesting suggestions for Weapon Mastery enhancements so I can get rid of the +1 damage one.

Soldier: Field Repairs - When you make camp while your armor is damaged, repair X points of damage.

Replace Deadly with Destructive: Reduce the target's armor by 1 until healed/repaired.

Ich
Feb 6, 2013

This Homicidal Hindu
will ruin your life.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I've finally figured out where I wanted to take the Peerless/Weaponmaster Fighter...

How is the +dangerous tag defined?

Here's a couple rough ideas for the Soldier:

Soldier - Your shield acts as armor to adjacent allies and/or their shield adds to your armor, vs attacks from the front.

Soldier - Add the number of Bonds you have with an ally, when you Defend that ally.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Prize Fighter.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

NinjaDebugger posted:

Soldier: Field Repairs - When you make camp while your armor is damaged, repair X points of damage.

That's a thing that's already part of Armor Mastery, though!

Good idea for the -1 armor tag, I'll see if it works (don't want it to overlap with the piercing one).

Ich posted:

How is the +dangerous tag defined?

Like so:

DW p.322 posted:

Dangerous: It’s easy to get in trouble with it. If you interact with it without proper precautions the GM may freely invoke the consequences of your foolish actions.

In this case it's meant to convey more that you're leaving yourself open while attacking (it's a check on messy, basically).

Thanks for the Soldier suggestions. I'll mull them over, but they're a bit too mechanistic - I think I want something that's more fiction-based since Bravo and Duellist are already super mechanics-heavy.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So I'm bringing in a new player into my game and the classes that have caught their eye makes me pensive. The Beguiler with Gaslight and the Shadow make me nervous about how I'm to work around it. The Shadow's capability for movement is a bit surprising and making people forget things can be abusable (or at least annoying if done to a certain degree). Both of their level of operation, even at the start seems to potentially overshadow the players with Core classes (The Shadow, more than the Beguiler). At least with the Noble, I can put the noble in danger and force a lot of hard actions between the two of them and it's not too much of a problem.

Edit: Also, how does the ability from "My Power Is From...My Action" work? It says "You may prepare/cast the Cleric spell Darkness as normal." Does that mean that they can't cast it until level 3 or what?

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 1, 2014

Ich
Feb 6, 2013

This Homicidal Hindu
will ruin your life.
Okay, how about...

Soldier - When you first meet NPC soldiers , mercenaries, or bandits of a race you may have served with, take +1 to parley. On a hit, you know them and can use some aspect of your shared history as leverage, describe it.

It's got a little mechanical bit in there, but that's supplemental, it's still more fiction-based. You could take out the +1 if it bothers you, and it'd still be a decent move. Alternatively, instead of +1 to Parley, you could make it due to your shared history, a 7-9 functions as a 10+, or use both.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Good session. Fighter died again. This time, FOR REAL (he's rerolling into Arcane Duelist). Died in battle with a powerful enemy, opened him up to defeat. Buried with full military honors by his last-ditch allies. Someone said "When we met him, he jumped out of a tree, and into our hearts" so I gave them an extra experience point. Our Brute just could not roll for poo poo today. Gained 8 experience in one session. Highlight was when he tried to intimidate a small army by holding a lit firebomb in one hand and a powder keg in the other. Didn't work so he tried to throw it, dropped it so that it exploded directly under him, sending the keg up into an explosion too, began to burn before our Ranger ran up and attempted to smother the flame with kicks, but wasn't careful enough and ended up almost stomping the Brute to death.

Everyone had a good time. Anime Shadow Ninja was pretty good about everything, playbook seems to get less unbalanced as he levels up, which is nice. And the player was good too. Rolled with the punches when his hasty decision making bit him in the rear end, and didn't really try to argue anything.

EscortMission
Mar 4, 2009

Come with me
if you want to live.

Xelkelvos posted:

So I'm bringing in a new player into my game and the classes that have caught their eye makes me pensive. The Beguiler with Gaslight and the Shadow make me nervous about how I'm to work around it. The Shadow's capability for movement is a bit surprising and making people forget things can be abusable (or at least annoying if done to a certain degree). Both of their level of operation, even at the start seems to potentially overshadow the players with Core classes (The Shadow, more than the Beguiler). At least with the Noble, I can put the noble in danger and force a lot of hard actions between the two of them and it's not too much of a problem.

Edit: Also, how does the ability from "My Power Is From...My Action" work? It says "You may prepare/cast the Cleric spell Darkness as normal." Does that mean that they can't cast it until level 3 or what?

You need to get creative with a Beguiler in your party. They will almost always solve problems laterally, since that's what the class is designed to do.

I usually have Hypnotic Commands drop and memories re-assert themselves on partials/failures, and I let the player know in advance that their control may not be absolute. If it gets too wild, Gaslight still triggers a soft move on a 7-9, and Little Voices is both two-way and one soft move from letting the target know who you are. Its also a good idea to have some areas that would ordinarily only have one or two guards have an extra guy or two so they can't just mindwipe the guards and waltz through like they own the place. Obviously don't do this all the time, this is why they picked the class in the first place.

Also, please please please let me know how your game goes, I could use the extra playtesting feedback. I've been considering lowering Hypnotic Command to two words for months now.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ich posted:

Okay, how about...

Soldier - When you first meet NPC soldiers , mercenaries, or bandits of a race you may have served with, take +1 to parley. On a hit, you know them and can use some aspect of your shared history as leverage, describe it.

It's got a little mechanical bit in there, but that's supplemental, it's still more fiction-based. You could take out the +1 if it bothers you, and it'd still be a decent move. Alternatively, instead of +1 to Parley, you could make it due to your shared history, a 7-9 functions as a 10+, or use both.

I'd go with 'of a group' rather than 'of a race,' but that's mostly because I hate the idea of races as monolithic civilizations.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

It is still pretty easy to get 5 armor as your fighter replacement, just nab plate once you have the cash, and multiclass dabbler barkskin at some point. I think you just need to assume a fighter type guy is potentially having 3-5 armor easily and planning to deal with it(boss has a magic magnet!). My favorite tactic with my group's fighter is to spread threats out/around, or apply fire to whatever structure they're in. Even if he isn't majorly threatened by various action, he'll get whittled down, and the rest of the party isn't nearly as tanky so it puts a lot of pressure on him to be making plays that keep them from getting smeared.

Next session will be interesting, since the fighter needs to kill a senator (think roman senate govt setup), who is also the guildmaster for the thief's guild, and the princess is playing her character as sort of a semi-naive do-gooder. I'm interested to see how he goes about convincing them, though the rough outline he was planning is a hilarious super complicated scheme utilizing a bunch of stuff some of the NPCs have been doing, which if it works out will completely blow up at least one if not two of my fronts. Or it could go terribly wrong and they'll have the army trying to hunt them down or assassins on their tail, either way it should be great.

How do you guys handle discern realities in a fight? It isn't something I've really thought of and probably hasn't come up from my group because I'm guessing they don't think they have time to study something closely.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Usually I let them see weaknesses or discover patters in their enemy/enemies' formation or style of combat when they succeed. When they fail, they usually receive a club to the teeth or whatever is appropriate.

Things that they might discover: A flaw or open moment in the enemy's stance, a brittle sword that might shatter when hitting it, faults in the armor, a weakness from prior combat like a wounded knee, fear in their eyes, discover whoever is the leader, allowing them to deprive the enemy of coordination, and so on.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:
So I've been working on a playbook for Conquistador Lizardmen because the idea strikes me as just goofy enough to work. With the idea being that the lizardmen are similar to Warhammer Lizardmen. Stand ins for the Aztecs. But these ones beat the Spanish (somehow) and see the inherent superiority of their armaments, deciding to copy them. Going sailing in the captured boats to explore the world for adventure, profit and whatever else they find. Not sure how well I've executed the idea, so feedback would be appreciated.

quote:

The Reptillia

Damage die- D6
Constitution - +8

Drive
Preserver
Keep the old ways of your people alive

Explorer
Discover new lands and civilizations

Conqueror
Subjugate and enslave in pursuit of wealth and power

Race
Komodo
Your saliva is a mix of deadly bacteria and halitosis. Making your bite extremely deadly. With a little patience and a lot of drool, it's possible to apply it to a weapon as well. When you Hack and Slash on a 12+ you may inflict your foe with Serpent's Tears poison.

Geko
Your fingers and toes end in specialized pads. Allowing you to climb walls with ease. You may spend 1-Heat to ignore a -6 result when attempting to scale a surface. the result counting as a 7 instead.

Horned Devil
You have quite a specialized defense, in that you can shoot your own blood from your eyes. You may spend 1-HP to fire a spray of blood at someone in close range, blinding them briefly as they wipe the blood from their eyes.

Starting Moves

Bask in the sun's glory
Your species is cold blooded, meaning you need to absorb heat from your surrounding environment. You may have a maximum of 3-Heat and a minimum of -1-Heat. When you take the time to bask in the heat of the sun, gain 3-Heat. You may spend 1-Heat to:
• Gain a +1 bonus to perform a physical activity with great enthusiasm, describe the extra effort you put in.
• Gain back 5 health as you push yourself to keep going
• count as having eaten a ration when Making Camp
If you have -1-Heat, take a -1 on going penalty. Your body energy depleted

Black powder (Dex)
This powerful and explosive powder is a gift from your gods and almost certainly wasn't stolen from anyone. When you Volley with your bang stick, on a 12+ you overfill your bang stick, dealing an additional 1d6 damage and gain 2-Penatration.

Adaptive culture (Int)
Your people focused on adapting and assimilating new ways and cultures into their own. Most of the time anyway... When you encounter new knowledge or customs, roll +Int. On a 10+, tell the GM how you interpret this discovery into your personal mythology and gain a +1 going forward to using this knowledge. On a 7-9, choose one:
• You feel a desperate, burning desire to take a more "hands on" approach to the subject. How does this desire manifest?
• You focus on one particular detail above all else, what is it and how does it affect your view on what you've just learned?
• You feel what you have learned to be heretical and/or offensive to your world view. What will you do?
On a 6- you completely misinterpret what you've learned, tell the GM how you've misinterpreted it and take +1 going forward to using this wrong knowledge.

Steel and Scale
Although eager to use the weapons and armor of your defeated foes, when you get down to it, it really wasn't designed for your body. Armor you wear has the Clumsy tag unless made specifically for you. However your natural defenses make you a force to be reckoned with. Gain half your armor again, rounded down.

This is what I've got so far. Really happy with Adaptive Culture since I feel it has a lot of potential for hijinks, but I'm less sure about Steel and Scale. Especially with Lemon Curdistan discovery that 5 armour can be a little ridiculous. Might be okay since I don't plan on making them immune to piercing. But, if someone has a better solution I'm all ears.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
How about "You have a base armor of 1, simply by virtue of having scales. Any armour that is not made specifically for you gains the clumsy tag. On top of that, you can't wear any armour that wasn't made specifically for you and already has the clumsy tag." ?

EDIT: please do not penetrate people with volleys of your bang stick.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

The preserver drive seems kind of weird, since it feels counter to the race fluff and adaptive culture. Perhaps changing it to be some sort of integrating new culture/tech into your existing culture (think taking pagan spring festivals->easter). It would stay different from the goals of the other drives and still stay sort of culture focused.

The rest of it seems pretty fun at the very least!

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Some ideas:

Soldier Background - You've had to make do with what you have on the field of battle, doing your best with weapons scavenged from the dead. Choose an additional type of weapon similar to your chosen weapon mastery (blunt/sharp/slashing/piercing/etc). It now also works with your style.

Some enhancements -
Terrifying - When you get a 12+ on hack and slash your attack strikes fear into lesser beings
Rending - When you kill a creature, you may immediately deal your class damage to one within close reach
Reliable - Your weapon holds up to far more abuse, and happens to be available far more often than it should

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
So after the feedback I got on the Bonded playbook I went way and did some re-writing. I changed the starting move mechanics, made the Wyrd more central to the playbook. Changed the advanced moves and shuffled them around. Added a few more bonds. Added Discern Realties to the Construct origin bonus.

I ended up adding more traits to the Monster traits list. I might be bad at this "cutting down" thing... :v:

So here's the updated The Bonded playbook. As always feedback is welcome. Let me know what you think and what I can improve on, thanks!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Thanks for the Soldier/style enhancement suggestions, guys! I'll mull it over a little more and make changes.

quote:

Terrifying - When you get a 12+ on hack and slash your attack strikes fear into lesser beings

This is an advance already (from the core Fighter, too). :v:

e;

ZypherIM posted:

It is still pretty easy to get 5 armor as your fighter replacement

You can't spend the extra armour from Barkskin or whatever to negate damage because it's not armour granted by your equipment.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 1, 2014

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

What was the playbook released a while back where you chose elements and what you could do with them off a list, and expanded the list as you leveled? I remember you could start with three total things, so one element and two things to do, or two elements and one thing to do, etc.

Reminded me a lot of the old Infinite Domains magic system.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
That was Johnstone Metzger's Elementalist:

It's available with an adventure here: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/127553/DW2-Island-of-Fire-Mountain?manufacturers_id=4483

Or in a bundle with the other playbooks he's written for his adventures here: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/129989/Johnstones-Dungeon-World-Character-Classes?manufacturers_id=4483

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:

ZypherIM posted:

The preserver drive seems kind of weird, since it feels counter to the race fluff and adaptive culture. Perhaps changing it to be some sort of integrating new culture/tech into your existing culture (think taking pagan spring festivals->easter). It would stay different from the goals of the other drives and still stay sort of culture focused.

The rest of it seems pretty fun at the very least!

Alright, how about :

quote:

Chanter
Renew the legends of your people by stealing other people's

Deltasquid posted:

How about "You have a base armor of 1, simply by virtue of having scales. Any armour that is not made specifically for you gains the clumsy tag. On top of that, you can't wear any armour that wasn't made specifically for you and already has the clumsy tag." ?

That works much better. Less chance for them to be broken right from the off.

Deltasquid posted:

EDIT: please do not penetrate people with volleys of your bang stick.

This made my day. I am a loving child.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So the first real session went off with few to no hiccups. We had a Wizard, a Cleric (of Civilization) and a Pixie. Combined with a bunch of good rolls, the Pixie is really potent in getting poo poo done with their ability to fly fast and change size. Obviously, this can be a problem when successfully combined with Invisibility. It also felt like the Cleric didn't get to do much with what they have which is unfortunate.

However, they party did prevent the Druids and their allies from razing the Goblin village by performing a ritual by erecting an altar to a Goblin war god and disenchanting a magic item (that belonged to the Druids) upon it to form a barrier to protect the Goblins from harm for a number of weeks. This may have consequences later given that the altar is at a Place of Power (that being the confluence of two leylines).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

You can't spend the +1 barkskin armor to reduce damage take to 0 true, but isn't the same true for iron hide? The text for that in the plain warrior is "You gain +1 armor" not anything about increasing the armor value of the armor you're wearing. If your previous version of the class did that, then that is different and I missed that.

If the issue is the number of times he is able to reduce damage to 0, steel skin gives them an easy way to carry extra armor or shields to keep burning through armor rating if he isn't able to just take the time to repair.

Diamond skin sort of multiplies this, since now you can't use the piercing tag against them, so you either have to have a huge hit (which they might nullify) or do damage in a way that armor doesn't apply. If you're down to that, a +1 armor or not isn't coming into play at all.

I'd basically say that your version of those moves is more interesting and also a lot stronger, and combined with immediate access to armor mastery plays into it as well. You had an issue of the fighter being too hard to take down, but I don't think the extra armor from the class moves was your problem, and the fighter can still get to 5 armor without it. Giving immediate access to the damage negation and advanced access to removing your main way of dealing damage to a high armor target is always going to make him a lot tankier.

edit: removed a misread on armor mastery.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jun 2, 2014