Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

WAR FOOT posted:

Most units already struggle to defend themselves against a charge. At worst you'd have a 50% chance to back off, and most units, be they Marines or Fire Warriors, would rather let their friends have a turn of shooting than swing.

You're right, bad idea. Why is assault tough to balance?

Did some more work on my Mega-Dredd:

(bonus shrub)

Banner and gunner:

New armoured skirt:

The Mek at the back:

I now just have to see how much more I can be bothered to add cause I think that is done.

I saw a Knight in the game store for the first time. Much smaller than I thought it would be. Also, couldn't you pick up a Stompa for £60 a few years back, and now the Morka/Gorkanought going for £65 now? I just proxy my Megadredd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Just as I thought I was going to win an auction for an unpainted Leman Russ I get precision shotted at the last second. :arghfist::(

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Slimnoid posted:

Don't fix what ain't broke.

Indeed, the only thing "broke" about the old design was that it was resin. So a plastic SAG that maintains all the good parts if a flipping rad model is ok in my eyes.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Sorry guys, feel free to ignore my ramblings. I like everything I am seeing from these orks pictures and it has be thinking...

It looks like Flashgitz will be a 5-man kit? The unit is described as 4+Kaptain. So usually a new box comes with enough to make a minimum sized unit. Does this mean that we will get 5 MANz? That will be nice but probably means the box will be like $60. I have enough AOBR nobz around I can make the MANZ and just use the guns and arms to make Flashgitz. The joy of orks, though maybe these two are just not similar enough to be the same kit.

So new Kannons will be interesting since the lack of a plastic kit was the major reason no one took those T7 grots. I wonder if they will make an alternate kit to mirror it while they are at it. Think Hydra/Wyvern. Also, maybe Deffkopptas/buggies will get cut since they are not well supported, but that is a total guess but I have not seen either model in a picture yet, hardly concrete evidence though.

I forget how many 'new' kits can be expected from a release. We know of 3/4 now: Morknaught, Big Gunz, Flashgitz (and maybe MANz separately?). I think 4 is the upper limit we have seen. I will be interested to see where everything lands.

I hope they make the Stompa a part of the codex, maybe make it more in line with a Knight's power. That kit is only :10bux: more than the new dread. I like the new dread but man, that is a lot less plastic. A gamer on a budget at least has options.

drat I hope warbikers are like 12pts. Bikers have been king for a while but it would be a crime if Orks miss out since they have the best ones (they have the best everything).

Finally, It would be cool if orks have their own Waaagh powers similar to Eldar, where Weirdboys roll on one half and leaders (Warboss, Meks, Nobz?) roll on the other half. For every unit that has 10+ orks (not grots) add 1 Waaagh-Charge to your pool, if they are 20+ add two instead etc etc.

Thanks for baring with me. Here, have my completed oath as my apology:
More Nod-Guard

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Raphus C posted:

:sbahj:

Seriously, that's great, love the pistol whipping hand used to yank a lever.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Pirate ork army. Hook hands, striped pants, bandannas, the works. All the vehicles are just pirate ships with wheels. Bikes are jet skis. The warboss has a hat the size of a Nob. Killa kans? Giant barrels of ale.

This is clearly the best idea I've ever had.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Slimnoid posted:

Pirate ork army. Hook hands, striped pants, bandannas, the works. All the vehicles are just pirate ships with wheels. Bikes are jet skis. The warboss has a hat the size of a Nob. Killa kans? Giant barrels of ale.

So basically Ork Freebooterz?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Checking out the Mechanicum list, I'm pretty positive I'm going to switch from a Legion army to a Mechanicum army. The models are baller as gently caress and Castellax are Monstrous Creatures that are troops choices!

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Thanks for baring with me. Here, have my completed oath as my apology:
More Nod-Guard

The Nod Guard are so awesome - can't wait to see more from you!

You're probably going to need one of these:

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Slimnoid posted:

Do it. You will not forgive yourself if you don't. If you are going to make Orks, do something special.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

What is that, where do I get it, and is it Baneblade sized?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AndyElusive posted:

Battlewagon option:

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

Cataphract posted:

I love that the new meganobz don't seem to be too much of a departure from the old ones so they'll blend nicely in an army of mixed models.

Is this a joke or am I just an rear end in a top hat for laughing haha

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

AndyElusive posted:

Basically, yeah.

The warboss loves the sea. Fuckin' LOVES it. Spore'd on a planet full of it, spent a lot of time on da high seaz, and when eventually he grew too ambitious to stay on one planet took a whole fleet of ships with him.

Turns out a lot of planets don't have as much water! But that isn't going to stop him, gently caress no, so he cruises around with wheeled ships on desert planets giving exactly zero fucks if it looks ridiculous or impractical. He's got booty to plunder, teef to steal, and heads to crump.

I think I will give him a squig parrot.

Raphus C posted:

Do it. You will not forgive yourself if you don't. If you are going to make Orks, do something special.

Honestly it's an idea I've had in the back of my mind since the 4th edition book, but got tossed to the side for a while. Now's as good a time as any to tackle it.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Sulecrist posted:

Can anyone help me? Does anyone have extra Catachan heads sitting around?

Yep I can hook you up with some, including bandana ones. I'm in Australia though, so someone local might be better but PM me if you don't get any better options.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

Swagger Dagger posted:

What is that, where do I get it, and is it Baneblade sized?

Looks like this gundam model:

http://www.gundamplanet.com/uchg-6-1-35-m61a5-main-battle-tank.html

It is 1/35th scale, which sometimes works for vehicles in 40k, but is way too small for mans.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I was thinking of going with this Kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/179741323/battle-dog-and-pug
*His latest update has the lowered turret, which looks much better.*

But the 3-pack it is the same price as 20% off real Leman Russ tanks. It looks like these are about 1.5cm shorter and the turret is like 3x bigger. It matches the aesthetic of the Light Tank's original sprite more than the GW one but I'm not sure if I should pull the trigger or not. GW kits come with like 3 turrets but this one has 5, so that is nice..

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

LordAba posted:

Battlewagon option:

I need that for my Clan Skurvy screaming bell.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

ZachAttack posted:

Looks like this gundam model:

http://www.gundamplanet.com/uchg-6-1-35-m61a5-main-battle-tank.html

It is 1/35th scale, which sometimes works for vehicles in 40k, but is way too small for mans.

Someone needs to buy one and compare for scale. TIA.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Australians, what's the cheapest way to get a 7E rulebook? I probably won't buy one but I'm curious anyway.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

AgentF posted:

Australians, what's the cheapest way to get a 7E rulebook? I probably won't buy one but I'm curious anyway.

:filez:

I'm kidding, I'm not Australian and I have no idea.

Don't probate me. :ohdear:

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Tuxedo Jack posted:

~33cm, so it should be about 1.5 baneblades long. Same width, and slightly taller.

SpikeMcclane fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 31, 2014

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Slimnoid posted:

Basically, yeah.

The warboss loves the sea. Fuckin' LOVES it. Spore'd on a planet full of it, spent a lot of time on da high seaz, and when eventually he grew too ambitious to stay on one planet took a whole fleet of ships with him.

Turns out a lot of planets don't have as much water! But that isn't going to stop him, gently caress no, so he cruises around with wheeled ships on desert planets giving exactly zero fucks if it looks ridiculous or impractical. He's got booty to plunder, teef to steal, and heads to crump.

I think I will give him a squig parrot.

Honestly it's an idea I've had in the back of my mind since the 4th edition book, but got tossed to the side for a while. Now's as good a time as any to tackle it.

With awesome Pirate Ork heads!

http://www.grimgoblin.co.uk/maxmini---pirate-orc-boyz-heads-5--ork-warhammer-40k-nobz-fantasy-goblins-big-260-p.asp

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Tuxedo Jack posted:

This guys says "about the size of a baneblade."

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Hollismason posted:

Not painted Red :(.

Yeah, like Evil Sunz can afford all that flash new stuff. :v:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

WhiteOutMouse posted:

But the 3-pack it is the same price as 20% off real Leman Russ tanks. It looks like these are about 1.5cm shorter and the turret is like 3x bigger. It matches the aesthetic of the Light Tank's original sprite more than the GW one but I'm not sure if I should pull the trigger or not. GW kits come with like 3 turrets but this one has 5, so that is nice..

Looks like a super derby Cromwell.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Sulecrist posted:

I would like 2-4 Catachan heads for my new Scouts. Specifically, I would like at least one head with a bandanna and I would love the person-of-color-smoking-a-cigar head from the old Catachan Sentinel upgrade sprue. I used to have that head on one of my Marines before I sold them like 6 years ago, and I would love to make that dude again now that I'm back in this terrible game.
Hey Sule - I got 6 different Cat heads I can hit you up with. One is the Sentinel head with cigar and sunglasses - see below. Is that the one you're after?

I'll be gone from computers for the next week as I recertify as a Wilderness First Responder (pretending to be a Catachan IRL :madmax:), but if you're still looking for heads by next Friday shoot me a message.

Slimnoid posted:

Do it. Google "Ogre Pirate" and use that. Just shorten the legs a bit, give it a big Warboss head with a gob, and you've got your HQ. Comes complete with a grot in parrot costume.

Raphus C posted:

Excellent.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Slimnoid posted:

Warboss Edward Kenwaaaagh

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Hm, not bad. Tempted to get at least one if the pricing and shipping is not too insane. Not too keen on the huge boxy turret though.
The turret less "artillery" one would make for a great Destroyer Tank Hunter though.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

BuffaloChicken posted:

Hey Sule - I got 6 different Cat heads I can hit you up with. One is the Sentinel head with cigar and sunglasses - see below. Is that the one you're after?

I'll be gone from computers for the next week as I recertify as a Wilderness First Responder (pretending to be a Catachan IRL :madmax:), but if you're still looking for heads by next Friday shoot me a message.

Do it. Google "Ogre Pirate" and use that. Just shorten the legs a bit, give it a big Warboss head with a gob, and you've got your HQ. Comes complete with a grot in parrot costume.

Excellent.

That's the one! Also christ I love your models. I'm going to fit a heavily converted Knight Errant into my army eventually because of you :mrwhite:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Cataphract posted:

Indeed, the only thing "broke" about the old design was that it was resin. So a plastic SAG that maintains all the good parts if a flipping rad model is ok in my eyes.

I wonder what the price hike will be for this "updated" model?

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

xtothez posted:

Take the transport upgrade and throw some Venomthropes inside. 5+ cover always, or 3+ if you can keep a leg standing in some ruins.

I was thinking about doing this, but with a tyranid prime attached to the venomthrope for a big rear end synapse bubble. I'm pretty sure it works.

panascope posted:

Checking out the Mechanicum list, I'm pretty positive I'm going to switch from a Legion army to a Mechanicum army. The models are baller as gently caress and Castellax are Monstrous Creatures that are troops choices!

That's because AdMech is awesome and the full list out of book 3 kicks rear end, also surprised how big the drat Krios tanks are. I just finished assembling a Venator and a regular one, its just a bit smaller than a land raider.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 31, 2014

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN
Is it weird that they've announced these new Ork models but haven't actually put up a Codex up on GW yet? When can we expect preorders for that to go live?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Power Player posted:

Is it weird that they've announced these new Ork models but haven't actually put up a Codex up on GW yet? When can we expect preorders for that to go live?

GW does things weekly now. During a release, the first week is some big model to get people interested, but without the actual codex. The second week is more kits and the book while the third week is probably a battle force box or something. We'll see the codex up for pre-orders next weekend to release on the 14th of June.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
What's everyone think of awarding points at an event for lists that fulfill certain requirements? It would be difficult to tune correctly, and I'm not talking "hrm, your foot Eldar army with three Banshee choices was tabled turn 3, but it's fluffy so I guess this is a draw." I'm thinking more that, if you are awarded VP for every round, you check a box for fulfilling X requirement (two different Fast Attack, one unit of at least 50 points from every slot, etc) and net a bonus of VP. Not enough to turn a loss into a victory, but maybe a close game into a draw versus a list without the bonus VP, or tip a draw into a narrow win. The difficulty is balancing that correctly, and making sure that if VP carries over from game to game, that if a list that checks that lil box is facing one that did not at the final table, that the second list doesn't have to make up for a huge deficit in points. I'm thinking something like, in games where 25+ VP are at stake through three different objectives and various extras, 2-3 points would work. Not a bunch in game, but can tilt things, and if a tournament is four rounds, it's only an 8 point deficit at the end that a list without the requirement has to beat.

However, assuming the balance is hammered out correctly, players can weigh the cost-benefit of bringing in X, and if they want to bring a varied list for extra points or to go all in on what they normally run. Fulfilling the requirements of X would give them edge if they draw against another hard list, but maybe the original list would have notched down a win in the first place, you know? Ideally, it encourages people at least try out different units and lists.

The downside is that if a list is running the gimmick of the event naturally (two different Elites - Riptide and Crisis suits, so free points!) they're basically getting free points for playing what they normally play. However, I'm thinking this for a series of local tournaments, so you'd ideally see a rotation of requirements and avoid armies just netting those free points consistently. Sure, Tau might nab it easy one tournament, but the next might be two different Fast Attack units and the Chaos player with Spawn and a Helldrake is nabbing those points. Worst that happens is that people just blow off the requirements and win by so much that those extra points are pointless, but you'd at least see more variety at the middle and bottom tables.

How reasonable/godawful is this?

tl;dr - give a few VP to players that fulfill a gimmick, and make sure it is useful for tiebreakers and final positions but not enough that it unbalances things. does this blow or rule?

edit - this isn't some sort of game changing proposal, but would you think it cool/fine at the local club as a bit of variety in your tournaments?

Von Humboldt fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 31, 2014

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Isn't that literally what a comp score is?

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

CyberLord XP posted:

Isn't that literally what a comp score is?
Comp has a lot of negative connotations associated with it. I say "comp" and people want to murder poo poo to death. Not only that, comp tends to penalize players, either directly or indirectly, pretty heavily for stepping outside the bounds of what is considered acceptable. This is more of a bonus for players who want to try out new things, and since it rotates, it's not going to be stifling. Like I said, the tricky part is balance - I don't want the top table to be a list that hits the requirements versus one that does not, and the list that does not has a huge hill to climb, or for players to feel they have to try out whatever the flavor of the week is for the event. I just want players to go "oh, I can bring this pair of Land Speeders along with my Stormtalon instead of two Stormtalons, sure, I'll give that a shot."

The points are ultimately there as a feel good thing, in game encouragement for variety, and a little bonus - 2 points is First Blood and Slay the Warlord, and normally the Third Objective (we play with three objectives, with descending points values) is like 4-6 points - so it's not grossly unbalancing.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I've seen VP's awarded in tournament scenarios for killing an entire section of the Forge Org chart. In the event the player didn't have an option in that slot (Elite, Fast Attack, etc...) those points were automatically awarded.

Penalizes armies who maximize on one element and that all Imperial Knight list without actually penalizing them directly (though the IK's still took 2nd with a 1,850 point list in a 2,000 point tournament).

Boon fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 31, 2014

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Give a VP for killing your own unit on accident. Exclude psychic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Give a VP for killing your own unit on accident. Exclude psychic.
An excellent Unbound list - Bastion, all the Lone Wolves you can buy. Jump off the Bastion until you break all their legs, bury your opponent in VP.

• Locked thread