Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Item distribution seems to wreck at least the lower cc's from my experience so far: I keep doing GPs where I basically get to first in the opening ten seconds of a track and don't see anyone for most of the rest of it. As someone who still plays one player MK Wii a humiliating amount I know this just doesn't happen there; the RNG makes it so you can at least pretend you might not come first in every 100cc race even if you almost certainly will.

Add that to just how much easier the staff ghosts now are and I'm not at all sure about the one player mode of this game as it stands. Is it too much to hope for an item distribution patch? It seems insane that so much obvious effort would go into this game for something so easily tweakable to diminish the experience as much as it currently seems to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Bit of an odd question, but is there an appreciable difference in things like load time if you get one version over the other, like does the digital version start races faster/is smoother for selecting racers/karts?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Yeah the item distribution is too soft on the top 3.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

vegetables posted:

Is it too much to hope for an item distribution patch? It seems insane that so much obvious effort would go into this game for something so easily tweakable to diminish the experience as much as it currently seems to do.

That would be great

IMO:

- Tune down the frequency of coins in item boxes
- Give people coming up on the top three better items, it's dumb to be in fourth and only be getting like banana peels

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah getting coins from item boxes is pretty awful and happens way too often.

vegetables posted:

Item distribution seems to wreck at least the lower cc's from my experience so far: I keep doing GPs where I basically get to first in the opening ten seconds of a track and don't see anyone for most of the rest of it. As someone who still plays one player MK Wii a humiliating amount I know this just doesn't happen there; the RNG makes it so you can at least pretend you might not come first in every 100cc race even if you almost certainly will.

Add that to just how much easier the staff ghosts now are and I'm not at all sure about the one player mode of this game as it stands. Is it too much to hope for an item distribution patch? It seems insane that so much obvious effort would go into this game for something so easily tweakable to diminish the experience as much as it currently seems to do.

If you're over the age of 13 you should only be playing on 150cc. What are you doing complaining about difficulty on sub-150? :psyduck:

The item distribution does seem a little weird, but I think the big change is the number of racers in a race. There was, what, 9 before? I keep falling to 9th and thinking I'm at the back of the pack, but nope there's 3 more positions to fall behind. Getting stuck in a battle with 5 other racers for the bottom 5 positions while some guy in first is just ripping it up without much interference can make it hard to catch back up.

Also I don't know what's going on but even with really high handling I'm having the hardest time with some corners. I guess I gotta get better with drifting, but I don't remember any Mario Kart games, even 7, where I couldn't just hold down the gas and maneuver my way through. But I'm constantly hitting walls and falling off the side. Oh well, I still managed to place a trophy in all courses and see everything, and I got a couple golds and unlocked some dudes.

Random unlocks is kinda weird. Whats up with that? I like how many there are, though, and that you can see them in races before you can play as them.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Lobster Harmonica posted:

That would be great

IMO:

- Tune down the frequency of coins in item boxes
- Give people coming up on the top three better items, it's dumb to be in fourth and only be getting like banana peels

There's already a "fix" for this in local versus, try setting the items to Frantic Mode. We were playing that last night and I got the Crazy 8 in second place :stare:

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Random unlocks is kinda weird. Whats up with that? I like how many there are, though, and that you can see them in races before you can play as them.

Yeah it's weird but I was actually kinda looking forward to busting my balls for a few weeks getting everyone unlocked, we managed to unlock everybody in one sitting last night

I was at least expecting the shiny metallic crew to require some sort of substantial effort

deadwing posted:

There's already a "fix" for this in local versus, try setting the items to Frantic Mode. We were playing that last night and I got the Crazy 8 in second place :stare:

Oh hell yea

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Oh yeah, Frantic mode owns. Definitely give that a try if you don't like the normal balance, you get less shells/bananas and way more of the fun stuff, and at higher places. I've seen stars in second place and Crazy 8's in third

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Wario's fart horn is the greatest thing I've ever experienced in a videogame.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

Wario's fart horn is the greatest thing I've ever experienced in a videogame.

Why wasn't I told about this

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My experience with being in first place:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZRE0ZXXX6w

There I only went from 1st to 5th, but I was once chained with 3 red shells, a blue and as I recovered someone knocked me right off the course. First place to last, all in one huge clusterfuck :(

(This game is still wonderful :3:)

e: it's recorded from my phone because for some strange reason the replay just acts like I was hit once and moves to the next scene after the first hit.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

I was playing worldwide match last night, and something interesting happened.

The first few races were mostly dominated by one guy. Then in the third race (Dry Dry Desert), I managed to jump into the lead right away. I held it for the first two laps, then I got hit by two red shells back to back. I was holding second, and I got a mushroom that allowed me to catch up to to first place driver. I was still in second when we got to the little oasis part, and I grabbed an item box expecting a mushroom or coins. Instead, I got 8. I started spamming the hell out of the item button, the ink went first and was immediately washed away, then I dropped a banana and whiffed with a green shell. Then I hit the guy in first with a red shell, activated the star, and ended up winning the race.

Never thought someone in second would get the 8.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Canned Panda posted:

The first few races were mostly dominated by one guy. Then in the third race (Dry Dry Desert), I managed to jump into the lead right away. I held it for the first two laps, then I got hit by two red shells back to back. I was holding second, and I got a mushroom that allowed me to catch up to to first place driver. I was still in second when we got to the little oasis part, and I grabbed an item box expecting a mushroom or coins. Instead, I got 8. I started spamming the hell out of the item button, the ink went first and was immediately washed away, then I dropped a banana and whiffed with a green shell. Then I hit the guy in first with a red shell, activated the star, and ended up winning the race.

It's weird, but I think I've only ever gotten the 8 in, like the first few places.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Lobster Harmonica posted:

Why wasn't I told about this

It's a big wet long fart too. None of that cute little poot business, only the finest good ol' fashioned stank blasting.

Anyone have tips for 100/150? I know I suck but I can race the hell out of 50cc but I get overwhelmed at faster speeds. I find myself going off course and screwing up my drifting often. I'm sure I'll get better from playing more but my timing and execution is awful.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So I've already unlocked everything including the gold kart.

Where's the dlc?

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
Yeah, if you're already a 150cc class player, you might as well jump straight into 150, because non-mirror cup awards are retroactive. Already got at least one star in all cups just by going straight into 150/mirror.

Don't have to worry about character unlocks because that's still 16 different cups to do, and you can do them all with a different character each time for the stamps, too.

Though, to be fair, I'm probably not all that good and 8's 150cc is by far the easiest 150cc the series has seen in several years.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Canned Panda posted:

It's weird, but I think I've only ever gotten the 8 in, like the first few places.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

In case you didn't know, you can race online with strangers with any drat rules you want (like, say, frantic mode!). Just go to Global or Regional, then custom rules. You can set items, vehicles, and CC. The game will then look for players with the same rules. It's a bit empty at the moment but 150cc frantic sees some regular traffic at least.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Canned Panda posted:

This also happened to me. I hope they patch the item distribution at some point.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Spacebump posted:

This also happened to me. I hope they patch the item distribution at some point.

There are some tracks that also seriously need some extra item boxes. Donut Plains 3 is probably the biggest offender of this. I think it has only two sets of item boxes and they're both relatively close to the start. It's also a really boring track to begin with and has a couple of really frustrating turns.

Donut Plains 3 is killing all of my 150cc Banana Cup runs. :(

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 31, 2014

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

univbee posted:

Bit of an odd question, but is there an appreciable difference in things like load time if you get one version over the other, like does the digital version start races faster/is smoother for selecting racers/karts?

Hard to say since people are only going to have one or the other, right?

That said, I have the digital version and it is one of the faster Wii U games I have as far as loading goes, which isn't saying much.

I spent the morning playing it with the kids, it's a lot of fun. The good thing about Wii U games like this is once you are playing them you forget about the general shittiness that is the rest of the Wii U experience.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Just so I'm totally clear on this, the Handling stat determines your turning radius and Traction determines how well you drift, with a low Traction stat translating into lots and lots of drift and high Traction meaning virtually no drift at all.

Right?

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

JordanKai posted:

There are some tracks that also seriously need some extra item boxes. Donut Plains 3 is probably the biggest offender of this. I think it has only two sets of item boxes and they're both relatively close to the start. It's also a really boring track to begin with and has a couple of really frustrating turns.

Donut Plains 3 has some amazing shortcuts, one of which can be done without mushrooms. When you go under water, you can cut the ramp leading out of the water, just past the retaining wall on the left, and follow a set of permanent tracks on the ground to launch out of the water onto another section of the course. You can cut a stupid amount of time off your time trial runs, and it tends to throw red shells off pretty easily.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Aaaaaaaand Club Nintendo is down. Nintendo really is the king of shooting themselves in the foot.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Your Computer posted:

My experience with being in first place:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZRE0ZXXX6w

Did you make this? If so, thank you. I needed a good laugh this morning. The rewind sells it.

I really liked the N64 Rainbow Road Remix the toad's who ride the floating train throw coins onto the track!

I still have a lot of unlocking to do, but I did manage to play all 32 courses last night. I've never played all courses the same day I get a Mario Kart game. I just felt compelled to or something.

Also, I still haven't unlocked Rosalina who is clearly the best racer! :colbert:

OldSenileGuy posted:

Aaaaaaaand Club Nintendo is down. Nintendo really is the king of shooting themselves in the foot.

Half the planet is trying to get their free game. I had it go down on me several times last night but I finally managed to get my download code for my free game.

Question: I am going to get 300 coins (reach gold) for the first time ever. I registered a lot of stuff. I've never had "gold" before or gotten a reward from club Nintendo. Any advice on how to do that or what to pick?

edit: According to the Internet sometime in July 2014 is when I get to pick a prize. I got it, I have to wait.

Spectacle Rock fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 31, 2014

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

JordanKai posted:

Yeah, Donut Plains 3 is probably one of my least favorite tracks. There aren't many item boxes and the track is really short because it's from the SNES game, but that makes it ridiculously hard to beat the AI. One of my friends and I beat every cup on 150cc and the Banana Cup definitely took us the most tries.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

Oh no. What will Nintendo do now?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

You all are crazy, Donut Plains 3 is easily one of my favorite tracks in the game. It just drives so drat well.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Really, Nintendo? You're gonna make me use A/B instead of the far more ergonomic Y/B?

mtr
May 15, 2008
It seems like you move faster when gliding than driving on the ground... Is that the case? Is it therefore advantageous to stay in glide mode as long as possible?

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Deviant posted:

Really, Nintendo? You're gonna make me use A/B instead of the far more ergonomic Y/B?

You can use the right thumb stick to act as both A and B if you press it up or down. Think of it like a throttle.

On the Gamepad, the entire game can be played using the two thumb sticks and two shoulder buttons.

Left Thumb Stick = Steer
Left Shoulder = Item
Right Thumb Stick = Forward or Reverse
Right Shoulder = Hop/Slide

Very comfortable!

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Deviant posted:

Don't both work? I use Y/B

EFB

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Deviant posted:

Y is throttle too, actually.

e:f,b

OR AM I

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
Speaking of buttons, on the game title screen, it says "press A button."

You can press almost any button except for B and Start. You'd think "Start" would Start.

So, feel free to press a shoulder button or even the X button to exit the title screen. I guess "B" doesn't work because B is like a "go back."

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Spectacle Rock posted:

Speaking of buttons, on the game title screen, it says "press A button."

You can press almost any button except for B and Start. You'd think "Start" would Start.

So, feel free to press a shoulder button or even the X button to exit the title screen. I guess "B" doesn't work because B is like a "go back."

Where's the "any" key?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Peach's natural rival in championship mode seems to be Baby Rosalina.

Good job Nintendo, way to reinforce stereotypes of women competing with and feeling threatened by younger women.

(Just kidding, they are sista's who bond over crushing the boys)

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
Don't really see the complaints about Donut Plains 3, it's almost the easiest track in the game. Then again, I only raced it with karts so far, scared to use sport bikes again after finding them really picky.

Bone-Dry Dunes on the other hand, ughh

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Mercury Crusader posted:

While unlocking stuff, I played a race in which I managed to stop Toadette from getting first place by spamming bananas at her from afar. Then I realized the replay was basically "Lemmy buries everybody" so I made a dumb wrestling joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4bufbLPGPQ

You're doing God's work, son. :patriot:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

DoctorWhat posted:

Y is throttle too, actually.

e:f,b

OR AM I

Even on a pro controller? I thought it didn't work when I tried it, but i'll give it another go. I'm playing at a friend's house so i can't check right this instant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
Also, (comparing this to Mario Kart Wii, at least) the recovery time from falling off of ledges is almost non-existent. I think I tripped off of Shy Guy Falls at the start of a race once and remained in 2nd place. I'm really glad that falling off isn't such a ridiculous gently caress you anymore.

• Locked thread