Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
We laugh so we don't cry

One trick rapists really hate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

effectual posted:

We laugh so we don't cry

One trick rapists really hate!

Women openly discussing sexual violence in America?

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

agarjogger posted:

Wish we could talk about sex in public without it being in a rape context of violence. Waiting out this stupid loving shitstorm. Not going to go around tossing out shibboleths, begging women to accept that "I'm not like those rapists! I'm a feminist!". Rape is not an issue local to me. If I see it or hear of it, I'll report it. Carrying on as loving usual.

Judging by your posts in the other thread, you probably are like those rapists. You have a similat mindset, at any rate.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

agarjogger posted:

Wish we could talk about sex in public without it being in a rape context of violence. Waiting out this stupid loving shitstorm. Not going to go around tossing out shibboleths, begging women to accept that "I'm not like those rapists! I'm a feminist!". Rape is not an issue local to me. If I see it or hear of it, I'll report it. Carrying on as loving usual.

Like hell rape isn't an issue local to you

Sorry that you feel both inconvenienced and bored by it. Not that anyone asked.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Man, I couldn't make it through that rape segment. I got through the part about the Administration fudging numbers, and actually think he may have a point (I've never read those surveys), but the way he smugs it out... Jesus.

And then the 'reenactments' happen. Unreal.

I feel ashamed that I know one of the editors at The Blaze decently well. Ugh.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
This rape is very annoying, said the dude reading about it.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

agarjogger posted:

I have never in my life even once had to assure someone "I'm not like those rapists". You know why, dude? because I'm not like those rapists . If you find yourself having to defend whether or not you resemble misogynists and rapists, maybe you should step back and ask yourself why that is, and no, it's not why you think.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Joementum posted:

Guys, if you retweet this enough Senator Jim Inhofe will impeach Obama! :f5:

C'mon ya pansies, do it. Do it. I dare you. Cowboy up fellas, it worked brilliantly last time. Doooo iiiiit.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

paranoid randroid posted:

C'mon ya pansies, do it. Do it. I dare you. Cowboy up fellas, it worked brilliantly last time. Doooo iiiiit.

I dream of a big campaign this summer saying that the republican legislators are too cowardly to confront Obama for his treason, that justice can't be delayed any longer, that if they want to stay in office they need to impeach now.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Jim Inhofe needs your help to charge up his Impeachment Bomb, America.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Joementum posted:

Guys, if you retweet this enough Senator Jim Inhofe will impeach Obama! :f5:

I'm back at the community playhouse production of Peter Pan when he runs back and forth on stage begging everyone to clap their hands and bring Tinkerbell back to life.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

JT Jag posted:

People like that believe that as long as you don't literally put a gun to a woman's head, slam her against the wall in some dark alleyway and have your way with her like in some horror story, it's clearly not rape.

Same for economic pressures, starving because of unemployment or underemployment, etc.

"No one forced you to take that crappy job! It's your fault because of X degree you got/accidental pregnancy you had/you're a dirty minority/etc!"

It's maddening.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

agarjogger posted:

The only way rape is not an issue local for you, statistically speaking, is if you know fewer than four women.

You don't have to toss out shibboleths; you just have to be not like those rapists. Women are, I promise you, generally smart enough to make that call on their own. That there might be any uncertainty in this issue, in your mind, is probably cause for you to take a long hard look at your life, man.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

The only way rape is not an issue local for you, statistically speaking, is if you know fewer than four women.

Only if you count perfectly normal things like stalking, blackmail, and drugging someone in order to have sex with them as :airquote:rape:airquote:

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

Judging by your posts in the other thread, you probably are like those rapists. You have a similat mindset, at any rate.

He's not like those rapists though. Some other types.

Caros
May 14, 2008

paranoid randroid posted:

Jim Inhofe needs your help to charge up his Impeachment Bomb, America.

Then he should just get Satan to convince people.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

effectual posted:

Why do we want to pay murderers that have ptsd? Give them counseling and medical care, sure.

This is going back a few pages, but gently caress you.

Whether you like it or not, the GI Bill is a wildly successful program and one of the few programs that actually do serious good for returning veterans. Most of which have never seen combat but joined the military to better their position in life, you ignorant loving prick.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Boon posted:

This is going back a few pages, but gently caress you.

Whether you like it or not, the GI Bill is a wildly successful program and one of the few programs that actually do serious good for returning veterans. Most of which have never seen combat but joined the military to better their position in life, you ignorant loving prick.

Yeah we really ought to expand those programs to non-veterans as well.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

The issue with those programs is not the benefits provided (which should largely be universal), but the idea that some people should get special treatment because they signed up to get a paycheck to spread American foreign policy.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 31, 2014

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The issue with those programs is not the benefits provided (which should largely be universal), but the idea that some people should get special treatment because they signed up to get a paycheck to spread American foreign policy.

Before I go on, let me state that I agree that the benefits should be more widely available. My contention is your reasoning for special treatment.

You're marginalizing the very real sacrifice that is made by service members. My experience is in the US Navy, so that's really all I can speak to, but in every day conversation there is no way I can make someone understand just what the job entails because it's so foreign to the average person.

How do you explain to someone that a routine part of the job means being gone for 9 months in every two year period? That when you're gone for that 9 months, you are working 12-16 hour days or more and sleeping on average 5-6 hours, if you're lucky? People don't comprehend just what that means.

How do you explain that when you're not deployed you're still doing considerable time at work. That working days are still 9-14 hours long and sometimes longer. That you're spending a week, two, a month or more at sea not in a deployed status because there is an international exercise, or you're in a training phase working up to deployment. How do you explain the personal toll this takes on relationships, family, friends, personal activities to someone who has no concept of this?

Most people work normal working days, their schedules are generally solid and they know what they are doing on the weekend, next week, or next month. That doesn't exist in the service as schedules change week to week and sometimes even the morning of. How do you explain to someone that has no concept that every single thing on a ship wants to kill you if you're not careful?

If you think people are paid anywhere close to what this would come to in a private sector you are completely out of your mind. The benefits are deserved and to marginalize that or somehow think that it is somehow undeserved is wrong, and I get angry thinking about it. How do you tell that sailor who joined the Navy because it seemed like a good way to move his/her life along a good path; that at the end of all those hours of not sleeping, poor pay, life in a constrained environment with lots of personal freedoms restricted that all that they've done is somehow negative. That they should feel ashamed because they are serving at the behest of the government. That what they've done and the benefits they've gained for it are special. No, I disagree.

Boon fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 31, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Who are you arguing against?

I mean, no one is arguing that soldiers get the short end of the stick more times than not; however, the original comment you got all pissy about isn't exactly false. If you want, I can break down effectual's post into a 7-layer mexican bean dip.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Military jobs are not the only tough jobs. However they are the only jobs where you might conceivably be killed as a part of your job.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Yes I would like you to explain effectual's post to me if I have it wrong. Because as I understand it, he's questioning why service members deserve benefits for their time while labeling them as murderers with a disorder.

My second post is in response to AreWeDrunkYet's contention that that veteran's getting special treatment is somehow either special or that serving is a negative, which his post implies.

I should also state that I do not think military jobs are the only tough jobs, nor do I think military personnel have a monopoly on hard up living. I do think the following:
- Enlisted service ranks as the third worst job in America in 2014 according to Forbes
- 1 in 7 veterans are homeless
- The current issues with the VA shouldn't need further explanation but should be noted here

Boon fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 31, 2014

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

SedanChair posted:

Military jobs are not the only tough jobs. However they are the only jobs where you might conceivably be killed as a part of your job.

Noooope. Not even in the top ten jobs most likely to kill you

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Good Citizen posted:

Noooope. Not even in the top ten jobs most likely to kill you

He carefully phrased his post in order to be able to quibble about whether dying is technically part of other jobs the way it can be part of a soldier's job.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Torka posted:

He carefully phrased his post in order to be able to quibble about whether dying is technically part of other jobs the way it can be part of a soldier's job.

I'd posit that dying is not in a soldier's job description per se. Their job is to beat the enemy and live soldiers do that better than dead ones.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

agarjogger posted:

And whats the deal with all these gays being 'queer this, fairy that'. I mean, god, why do they gotta talk about that. Carry on as flaming usual guys. gently caress.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
As a practical matter the benefits are necessary to get people in the military in the first place, unless you want to pay them more in salary or fill the ranks with only the literally destitute.

I mean some military families quality for food stamps so it's not exactly fat city as it stands for the lowest ranks. Plus, you know, the VA is total poo poo.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

SedanChair posted:

I get paid 15 an hour for doing a job where I might be killed or maimed any day, any minute if I make a single mistake. Or even if I don't make any mistake. And I get paid that much because I'm drat good at it. Others make little more than minimum wage. So where's my government-provided college money? Free insurance? Free housing? Free food?

It's because I'm not helping kill foreigners, isn't it?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Chard posted:

I'd posit that dying is not in a soldier's job description per se. Their job is to beat the enemy and live soldiers do that better than dead ones.

Correct, however you can be ordered to your death or likely death. I don't think OSHA has safety standards for assaulting machine gun nests.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Chard posted:

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. You won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." - George S. Patton

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
the june thread title should be hash tag excelsior

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

ThirdPartyView posted:

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. You won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." - George S. Patton

You fucker I was going to post this :argh:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
- Get into a "war" against an ideology
- Push for said war using poo poo that was just straight up false (WMDs)
- InvadeLiberate and bring freedom to a handful of countries
- Mmmhm, weird the locals don't like their poo poo getting kicked in
- Shoot at browns

Say what you will about hindsight, but willingly signing up for the military given the circumstances of the past decade is kind of a good argument for "you're accepting a paycheck for a definite nonzero chance at being able to use your rifle". Is it a crass statement, sure.

The second part about how veterans are special citizens you're playing into 100%. I work with a bunch of vets and anyone who pays the least amount of attention (as opposed to just ARE TROOPS lip service) knows of the whole civilians versus soldier thing. It's just straight up classism, it's nothing new or exciting; a different coat of paint on the same poo poo. You also have to consider the fact that he's using the same type of language people use about poor people on welfare and whatnot. It's just a permutation.

By the way, I understand that being in the military is the Hardest Thing in the World and that No One Could Ever Comprehend. I mean, it's really hard signing a contract for 4 years of constant employment, having your housing subsidized, getting free college afterwards, and all of the other benefits. Yeah, you might get shot at and maimed, but you knew that going in because we're actively at war with an ideology.

Nobody is arguing that benefits being cut for veterans isn't awful. Most people in D&D understand the whole idea about environmental elements being out of people's control. It isn't an individual soldier's fault that he's permanently disabled from an IED going off. It isn't an individual homeless person's fault that he's mentally ill and cannot get the healthcare that he needs.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
^^^
I don't know why you typed all of that, and I don't think you understand my posts as is evidenced by your first post on the matter.

Kit Walker posted:

I get paid 15 an hour for doing a job where I might be killed or maimed any day, any minute if I make a single mistake. Or even if I don't make any mistake. And I get paid that much because I'm drat good at it. Others make little more than minimum wage. So where's my government-provided college money? Free insurance? Free housing? Free food?

I don't think a single person said that it shouldn't be more widely available. I hope you're not of the opinion that because you don't get it no one should?

Boon fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 31, 2014

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kit Walker posted:

Can your boss order you to commit suicide and shoot you if you don't do it?

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

When was the last time an American soldier was shot for insubordination?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Boon posted:

I don't think a single person said that it shouldn't be more widely available. I hope you're not of the opinion that because you don't get it no one should?

No, quite the opposite. Everyone should. I don't think the standard should require putting your life on the line. There are plenty of jobs more dangerous than getting into the military. It's unfair that only they get so many benefits.

hobbesmaster posted:

I didn't realize we lived in the USSR.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

Right to Work states come to mind. Don't feel like cleaning the oven while it's still on? You're fired and homeless, get hosed.

(I know it's not the same it just struck me that civilians face life and death pressure sometimes too).

Also is immediate execution for desertion still a thing in the army?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Kit Walker posted:

No, quite the opposite. Everyone should. I don't think the standard should require putting your life on the line. There are plenty of jobs more dangerous than getting into the military. It's unfair that only they get so many benefits.

Everyone got pretty caught on the whole "life on the line" thing. I'd argue, and if you read my post, that it's a pretty small part of it. It's the time commitment. It's the being away from life that is the real sacrifice.

From my own experience. I was stationed in Hawaii for 45 months. In those 45 months I spent 22 of them physically at sea. That's a hard thing for people to understand because they have nothing to compare that too.

Boon fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 31, 2014

• Locked thread