Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

RBA Starblade posted:

Ha, how long has the Old Iron King had a fire laser? I hadn't seen it before just now.

He loves to take that out when you hide behind the wall. That's his way of saying, oh trying to hide from my fire?

FIRE BEAM BITCH.

Granted it's not too hard to dodge. Just right when he's about to fire beam palm, roll under his arm, your iframes make you invincible while you roll through his arm. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

kazil posted:

A sequel relying on the previous title for story? Holy poo poo! :monocle:

That said, DS2 is only vaguely related to the plot of DS1 so I have no idea what you are talking about.

Actually it has the exact same story told less coherently with some poo poo tacked to the end.
Essentially Dark Souls II is to Dark Souls as Metal Gear Solid 2 is to Metal Gear Solid in a way in that in intentionally draws rather obvious parallels but it's all kinda different.
The plot of the first game is strongly related and very relevant. You won't be able to get as much out of it or understand it as well if you haven't played the first game. If you care about the story and lore that is. You can still enjoy the game perfectly fine not bothering with all that at all.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

No matter my build, I can't really bring myself to bring my stamina above 100 points and just use the chloranthy ring/dragon ring to make up for it. Is it really worth it to put levels in past that? It seems like it'd just equate to one more attack with a sword or mace.

Shindragon posted:

He loves to take that out when you hide behind the wall. That's his way of saying, oh trying to hide from my fire?

FIRE BEAM BITCH.

Granted it's not too hard to dodge. Just right when he's about to fire beam palm, roll under his arm, your iframes make you invincible while you roll through his arm. :v:

Yeah, even in NG+ it didn't do a whole lot, just surprised me that I hadn't seen it between two NG runs and phantoming. It's what I get for trying to snipe him with magic!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

No matter my build, I can't really bring myself to bring my stamina above 100 points and just use the chloranthy ring/dragon ring to make up for it. Is it really worth it to put levels in past that? It seems like it'd just equate to one more attack with a sword or mace.

The actual thing to do is always have Third Dragon Ring no matter what your build. 20 extra points of stamina, in addition to more HP and equip load? You'd be a fool not to use it.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I hadn't even finished logging back into my character at the Lost Bastille and I got invaded. Sadly, the dark phantom was defeated not by me or the blue sentinel, but by the door shortcut. :v:

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

I think the most important benefit of extra stamina is having that one extra roll. Loads of enemies have 3 attack combos, and other (like the Ruin Sentinel spin attack) require you to be able to roll at least twice at any moment, even after you've attacked a bunch. Plus, with how poise works in this game, having high stamina means everything if you have a fast enough weapon to stunlock someone.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Stamina is really nerf'd in this game. Once it hits 20, anything above it is just one point to stamina. As Geno said, slap on that third dragon ring and you are pretty much good to go.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Do we ever get to this location in the game? I don't recall seeing a giant statue like that.

Shindragon posted:

Stamina is really nerf'd in this game. Once it hits 20, anything above it is just one point to stamina. As Geno said, slap on that third dragon ring and you are pretty much good to go.

It's what I've been doing, it just feels weird just not caring about it at all past 10 endurance. Oh well.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I am a bit confused on how stagger and poise works in this game. When I wearing havel's armor and am attacked by an npc enemy, I can still finish my attacks without being staggered (up to a point). But in PvP, any little weapon is able to interrupt my attacks.

Does poise just not work in PvP? That would be disappointing. I always thought the main advantage of the heavier armors in DS 1 was their great poise.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Poise Breakpoints

Basically, poise is pretty weak this time around. There are a lot of weapons that will always cause flinching with even their lightest attack, and near anything that doesn't stun on the first hit definitely will on the second.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

RBA Starblade posted:

Do we ever get to this location in the game? I don't recall seeing a giant statue like that.

It's what I've been doing, it just feels weird just not caring about it at all past 10 endurance. Oh well.

The only place I can think of with a huge statue is the giant minotaur in the Iron Keep

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Improbable Lobster posted:

The only place I can think of with a huge statue is the giant minotaur in the Iron Keep

Yeah, but it's not the right direction or covered in lava. Or on top of a windmill. :v:

Fooling around some more I only just noticed the front of the Faraam helm has some decorations of a knight slaying a dragon, right on the forehead. That's a pretty cool detail!

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Given the location and the appearance, I'd guess that that's the later part of Forest of Fallen Giants.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Remember the first Pursuer's platform? The angle seems odd, though. The statue I remember facing parallel to the platform, not perpendicular to it.

e:fb

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
It's the still standing giant statue on Forest of Fallen Giants.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Had a blast in DS1 doing things out of order; finished up NG+ on my first char so time to start that.

Level 49, haven't completed FoFG or No Man's Wharf, and about ready to fire infuse a BKH and poison a Ricard's -

:unsmigghh:

Went quickly through Heide's->Copse->Valley->Iron Keep->Shaded Woods->Shaded Ruins

Had to jump into FoFG for the blacksmith key cause I wasn't doing poo poo for damage against the Skellie Lords, upped a morningstar to +3 with the souls from Heide's and it wrecked 'em. Picked up Ricard's and a fragrant branch in the Copse, a poison stone in the Valley, the ember in the keep, Chloranthy +1 in the Woods, and the BKH in the Ruins - now I'm ready to start the game! I'll drop down to the salamander area for the fire stone and be ready for infusions as soon as I hit the Bastille. Get rekt, game.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, but it's not the right direction or covered in lava. Or on top of a windmill. :v:

Fooling around some more I only just noticed the front of the Faraam helm has some decorations of a knight slaying a dragon, right on the forehead. That's a pretty cool detail!

That's the fort in the Forest of the Fallen Giants. There are two huge statues in it, one that's lost its sword and another whose head rolled into the Pursuer arena. Granted, I don't think that 2d image used in the background is generated from the actual area, so it might be a bit spatially messed up.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

teh_Broseph posted:

Had a blast in DS1 doing things out of order; finished up NG+ on my first char so time to start that.

Level 49, haven't completed FoFG or No Man's Wharf, and about ready to fire infuse a BKH and poison a Ricard's -

:unsmigghh:

Went quickly through Heide's->Copse->Valley->Iron Keep->Shaded Woods->Shaded Ruins

Had to jump into FoFG for the blacksmith key cause I wasn't doing poo poo for damage against the Skellie Lords, upped a morningstar to +3 with the souls from Heide's and it wrecked 'em. Picked up Ricard's and a fragrant branch in the Copse, a poison stone in the Valley, the ember in the keep, Chloranthy +1 in the Woods, and the BKH in the Ruins - now I'm ready to start the game! I'll drop down to the salamander area for the fire stone and be ready for infusions as soon as I hit the Bastille. Get rekt, game.

This is basically a poor man's SL1 playthrough. Go all the way or go home! :argh:

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Not that I have much room to talk. I'm too bad at this game to do an SL1 playthrough in a million years.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

That's the fort in the Forest of the Fallen Giants. There are two huge statues in it, one that's lost its sword and another whose head rolled into the Pursuer arena. Granted, I don't think that 2d image used in the background is generated from the actual area, so it might be a bit spatially messed up.

Oh, that might be why then. I only recall seeing the broken statue around the Pursuer.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I don't know how any of you manage to kill the throne defender and watcher in NG+ using melee only. :( I have to do so much dodging just to keep from being hit that I hardly have enough stamina to fight back, because I can't separate the two no matter what I do. Then I end up getting 2 or 3-shot. I really don't want to have to break out magic for this fight, because that's how I've done them the last few tries, but this is making me want to tear my hair out.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Cyberventurer posted:

I don't know how any of you manage to kill the throne defender and watcher in NG+ using melee only. :( I have to do so much dodging just to keep from being hit that I hardly have enough stamina to fight back, because I can't separate the two no matter what I do. Then I end up getting 2 or 3-shot. I really don't want to have to break out magic for this fight, because that's how I've done them the last few tries, but this is making me want to tear my hair out.

You shouldn't separate them. That only means you have to keep track of two targets that are apart. Instead try to make them attack at the same time. It requires patience but you can get some good opportunities to get hits in that way.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Yeah, that might well be the hardest fight in the game to play out melee only. They have the ridiculous aggressiveness that Sentinels were missing.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Cyberventurer posted:

If you want to be silly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J57sqarje20&t=1080s

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

RBA Starblade posted:

Alonne Captain's armor and steel leggings?
Yeah the sweet looking Captain's armor and Alonne grunt's everything else.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Toadsmash posted:

Yeah, that might well be the hardest fight in the game to play out melee only. They have the ridiculous aggressiveness that Sentinels were missing.

My first playthrough was melee only, and I struggled on the Ruin Sentinels but beat the Defender/Watcher on the first try. v:shobon:v

e: Had my first fun PVP encounter today! Was invaded by a dude twice while trying to do some policework, got stunlocked and murdered the first time, but then he invaded again and after a long and intense fight (without any lag whatsoever!) I managed to beat him (over the head. With my club!)
Also, being a blue cop is way fun :3:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 31, 2014

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Do you get many summons as a sentinel?
This mode sounds like fun, but I hate to hang around waiting for something to happen.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

woodenchicken posted:

This mode sounds like fun, but I hate to hang around waiting for something to happen.

It's not like you put on the ring and get summoned nonstop, no. I just keep the ring on now and get summoned whenever. I played for maybe half an hour and got summoned twice (and did 3 invasions). My first invasion was glorious, the invader obviously didn't expect a sentinel to show up because he immediately targeted me and started backstepping... right off a ledge, to his doom. :getin:

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

woodenchicken posted:

Not really, no. You stay a sentinel more to use cracked blue eye orbs than for that ring. It is really fun when you do get to ruin some sinner's sinful plan.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

How are the red rust weapons?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Bob NewSCART posted:

How are the red rust weapons?

I like the sword a lot. Probably my most used weapon that isn't a mace.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Has anyone noticed how nobody in the world cares about Belfry Sol in pvp in NG+, only Luna?

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Improbable Lobster posted:

I like the sword a lot. Probably my most used weapon that isn't a mace.

How's the moveset and damage? I'm gonna go check them out from vengarls head when I go on the computer. Have you tried the scimitar?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The dog from outside Belfry Luna somehow got inside the belfries and killed a host for me while he was chugging some estus. That's weird.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Bob NewSCART posted:

How's the moveset and damage? I'm gonna go check them out from vengarls head when I go on the computer. Have you tried the scimitar?

The moveset is literally an axe. Probably the best axe in the game, ironically.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

IGgy IGsen posted:

Actually it has the exact same story told less coherently with some poo poo tacked to the end.
Essentially Dark Souls II is to Dark Souls as Metal Gear Solid 2 is to Metal Gear Solid in a way in that in intentionally draws rather obvious parallels but it's all kinda different.
The plot of the first game is strongly related and very relevant. You won't be able to get as much out of it or understand it as well if you haven't played the first game. If you care about the story and lore that is. You can still enjoy the game perfectly fine not bothering with all that at all.

I agree that it parallels the first game a lot, but that's pretty thematically relevant. The game hammers home that poo poo's on a cycle and what happened before will happen again.

I think you get more out of the story by connecting it to the events from DS1, but the bulk of the lore and plot are contained to the sequel. There's some connection to Lordran, but exactly how it fits into Dragnleic is very vague.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bob NewSCART posted:

Both of the red rust weapons are quite good.

The sword has the axe moveset (i.e. like hand axe or battle axe), good reach, and good damage (~360 with 40 str IIRC, slightly above average for a straight sword or axe).

The scimitar has poor scaling but still ends up being one of the highest damaging curved swords and the best for a str build. Good as a quicker side weapon.

Only downside is that they both require twinkling titanite, so they can be kind of a pain to upgrade.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A guy attacks me with a sword that knocks me back three times more than any sword, knocking me off the luna bridge and killing me. The game gave me 20,000 souls for this. Things are getting weird now.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

There's a lot of stuff that's just controlled by numbers on weapons, like hitboxes. It's not like DS1 where you couldn't edit that kind of thing easily.

It's kind of weird. They made it easier to do stuff that actually affects gameplay, but harder to do harmless fun stuff like change phantom color or get at the barrel armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Getting a little tired of direct pvp, I've decided to have a bit of fun with the belfries in a different way. I threw on a white ring and warmth and I'm going around being cheery and giving everyone a little helping hand! It's not enough sometimes though. Everyone generally gets the hint after 1 or 2 warmths are cast. :yayclod:

I wonder if there's anything else I could do to be a helpful grey phantom here?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 31, 2014