Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I liked all of Kabuto but I'm also the kind of person who tries to avoid watching K-Dramas because I know I'd lose my life to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Scratchman Apoo posted:

OOO's middle is enormously boring. Thankfully Date is such a fun character you may not even notice.

I think OOO's middle section mostly works because while there's not a lot happening in terms of events the whole cast is so good that it doesn't really matter because you enjoy just spending time with the characters anyway.

Kuso Meriken
Jun 30, 2007

Scratchman Apoo posted:

OOO's middle is enormously boring. Thankfully Date is such a fun character you may not even notice.

This is why it's taking me years to finish OOOs...I think I'm still in the mid or late 30s. I watch it every few months a couple eps at a time but then get distracted by something else more compelling.

With Drive, is it confirmed it's going to be about cars? There are lots of things called "Drivers" in the KR world.

I've been enjoying the Rider vs. Rider focus of Gaim, it's going to be weird going back to monster-of-the-every-two-weeks format (if they do).

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Kamen Rider Drive stars Nathan Fillian as a man coerced into taking part in a road race across Japan. Things start to get weird when he discovers a Gaiamemory and the Shocker goons who will do anything to retrieve it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Even if they don't do the Rider vs. Rider thing again, I highly doubt we're going back to two-episode arcs, since that was something Urobuchi was explicitly told not to do for Gaim. I'd like to think Wizard showed Toei that they had gotten everything they were going to get out of the post-Decade formula, causing them to mix things up a bit with Gaim.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I hope Gaim and Kyoryuger's huge successes mean that Toei can spring for more series with multiple Riders and Rangers :allears:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Has Gaim been a huge success, though? Like, it's obviously popular enough among western toku fandom but is it getting good toy sales/number of viewers?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

With the way they're stuffing all the promo poo poo into full Gaim episodes, they've made a good amount of lockseeds and toys and all the figuarts I think it is.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Apparently Gaim toys sell like hotcakes, and it's rather difficult to find them in stock.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Potsticker posted:

Kamen Rider Drive stars Nathan Fillian as a man coerced into taking part in a road race across Japan. Things start to get weird when he discovers a Gaiamemory and the Shocker goons who will do anything to retrieve it.

What, so they're gonna rip off outlaw star again?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

What, so they're gonna rip off outlaw star again?

A Rider Show ripping off Outlaw Star? That-- doesn't sound that bad to me! v:v:v

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Potsticker posted:

A Rider Show ripping off Outlaw Star? That-- doesn't sound that bad to me! v:v:v

Now that you mention it, that would be amazing.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Rider Star would be absolutely amazing.

I'm also on episode 14 or so of OOOs and I'm enjoying it a lot. The theme song really caught me off guard the first time I heard it, but it's grown on me. Also I'm a terrible sucker for cheesy insert songs so having one for each combo is something I'm really loving.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Darksaber posted:

I'm also on episode 14 or so of OOOs and I'm enjoying it a lot. The theme song really caught me off guard the first time I heard it, but it's grown on me. Also I'm a terrible sucker for cheesy insert songs so having one for each combo is something I'm really loving.

OOOs is really good and its only fault is being in the middle of filming during one of the worst natural disasters to hit the nation.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Darksaber posted:

Tell us what you think of the theme song that comes sometime in the early 20's. It's drat good.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
If you mean Tajador, that entire sequence was pretty awesome. From the revelation that the secretary is a grade A badass to the actual combo and the insert song, I enjoyed it all.

If you meant something else, then I'm looking forward to it!

Edit: And this yummy being a grasshopper in a belt is hilarious.

Darksaber fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 30, 2014

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Darksaber posted:

If you mean Tajador, that entire sequence was pretty awesome. From the revelation that the secretary is a grade A badass to the actual combo and the insert song, I enjoyed it all.

If you meant something else, then I'm looking forward to it!

Edit: And this yummy being a grasshopper in a belt is hilarious.

Oh yeah TaJaDor is one of the best combos in the show. He and RaToraTah are some of the most fun visually.

Also after episode 36 you should be good to watch the OOO Wonderful Core Medals movie. It's got a couple of things that don't really work with the show continuity so you can just enjoy the ride.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Looking forward to episode 36 or so when all the trains are for sale

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Dr Tran posted:

That's loving amazing.

Also, Kuuga! Holy poo poo, episode 35. Kuuga tackled the MotW out a window and just savagely beats him in the face for like a minute, then hits him with his bike all the way to the ocean where he cuts the hell out of him, not even stopping even through the monstersplosion. Fully justified of course, since the guy had just murdered almost an entire grade level of high school boys, but man that was hardcore and intense. I see why people love Kuuga so much.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Dr Tran posted:

I think my avatar speaks for everyone. Reminds me that I need to pick a day to marathon all the episodes I missed, aka all of them.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I like the show when something is happening but the characters don't interest me enough during the toy promotion episodes. The villans get better every ep though.

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

Has Gaim been a huge success, though? Like, it's obviously popular enough among western toku fandom but is it getting good toy sales/number of viewers?

From what I've seen it looks like viewer numbers are a smidge higher than wizard but not much but that the toy sales are doing amazingly well.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Every time Date holds up his finger I expect him to tell me what his drat grandmother said about 100 million jpy.

Edit: Oh, so THAT'S what Birth can do when you bother to read the drat instruction manual.

Darksaber fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 31, 2014

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Brinty posted:

From what I've seen it looks like viewer numbers are a smidge higher than wizard but not much but that the toy sales are doing amazingly well.

Are the toy sales doing better than Wizard at least? I really hate Wizard and would hate to think that something far superior to it isn't doing any better.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Darksaber posted:

Every time Date holds up his finger I expect him to tell me what his drat grandmother said about 100 million jpy.

Edit: Oh, so THAT'S what Birth can do when you bother to read the drat instruction manual.

Date is probably my favorite character in the whole show. He's not stupid he just doesn't bother learning a bunch of poo poo about his robot suit. It's the best.

Also the fact Dr. Maki is very clearly insane but Date just keeps doing things that will infuriate him because he doesn't care.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
At this point I think I'm leaning somewhere between Ankh and Satonaka, because she's the most ridiculously hyper-competent, cake-eating, obviously-union-card-carrying assistant that I've ever seen and it's glorious. I mean come on, even the super organized carrying case matches her outfit.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Are the toy sales doing better than Wizard at least? I really hate Wizard and would hate to think that something far superior to it isn't doing any better.

Thats what he just said. Gaim's toy sales are through the roof.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Darksaber posted:

At this point I think I'm leaning somewhere between Ankh and Satonaka, because she's the most ridiculously hyper-competent, cake-eating, obviously-union-card-carrying assistant that I've ever seen and it's glorious. I mean come on, even the super organized carrying case matches her outfit.
https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=267488039966392

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 31, 2014

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
As the resident Bioman expert, I'm pleased to announce another episode of Bioman is subbed!

http://grownupsinspandex.com/

Best day!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Also the fact Dr. Maki is very clearly insane but Date just keeps doing things that will infuriate him because he doesn't care.

They'd be a great sitcom :allears:

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Box of Bunnies posted:

They'd be a great sitcom :allears:

Date and the Doc with the breakout hit character Kousei Kougami as their wacky landlord.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Shaezerus posted:

Date and the Doc with the breakout hit character Kousei Kougami as their wacky landlord.

Stop taunting me with beautiful things that will never happen. :qq:

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
I tried to find the best picture to summarize Date and Maki's relationship and I think this is the closest I've gotten.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
About Shouwa series, does anyone know where the resolution that there must be a child involved in almost every episode come from? Also how come every series (that I've watched, anyway) gets more costumes, props and soundtrack songs at around episode 20 and again at around episode 35? Some of them even undergo changes in directorial style of scenes. I'm guessing it has to do with the way Toei dealt with budget.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cyphoderus posted:

About Shouwa series, does anyone know where the resolution that there must be a child involved in almost every episode come from? Also how come every series (that I've watched, anyway) gets more costumes, props and soundtrack songs at around episode 20 and again at around episode 35? Some of them even undergo changes in directorial style of scenes. I'm guessing it has to do with the way Toei dealt with budget.

Depends entirely on the series.

For Kamen Rider, and sort of with V3, as far as the suit stuff goes, that was almost entirely because they were making poo poo up as they went along and constantly touching things up or improving them on the fly. V3's costume never really CHANGES, persay, but it does get improved subtly as the show goes on-originally you could see the actor's neck and what not and eventually they covered it up.

The suit changes for the original Kamen Rider were both to fix up the old stuff that didn't work for one reason (leather is hard to move in) or needed to be patched up after a long stint, and story related, with the two of them getting upgrades off screen for their more or less final designs.

The same train of thought generally followed for the other series- the Rider in question would get trained or upgraded or whatever and his costume would change to reflect that. Amazon is more a case of 'fix up the old suit' though.

As for the child thing, that is totally a case by case basis. But generally if children show up it's because these WERE children shows, so it was mostly giving the target audience some one to relate to in the story proper.

Note that some Rider series from back in the day rarely had kids show up, Stronger and X generally being a good example, while others just had child character be part of the main cast, V3 and Amazon. The original Rider series was a weird mix just due to how the show was constantly evolving over time.

Kamen Rider Black is the worst offender of the child of the week plots, and that was likely mostly due to the fact that it's head writer bailed and I'm pretty drat certain that a lot of the scripts were just random toku scripts they copy pasted Kamen Rider into with super stock situations and such.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Burkion posted:

Kamen Rider Black is the worst offender of the child of the week plots, and that was likely mostly due to the fact that it's head writer bailed and I'm pretty drat certain that a lot of the scripts were just random toku scripts they copy pasted Kamen Rider into with super stock situations and such.

If I recall right I'm pretty sure it's open knowledge that back in the early days of Sentai at least, a lot of scripts were written without a series in mind. The only one I know of off hand is Jetman's Mirror Jigen episode where the lines really don't specifically fit the mold of the Jetmen characters. I'd love to go and try and figure out what episodes are definitely those Mad Lib sort of scripts, but I wouldn't be shocked if Rider followed a similar format.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
With Sentai, with a few exceptions, it wouldn't surprise me terribly. Though Jetman just has pretty awful writing the whole way through, in my opinion. Kamen Rider Black is a rather unique case though, as it's the show where the head writer quit the show two episodes in because of the pressure and they just sort of floundered around for a while.

RX, as much as I dislike that series, is a lot more consistent on the flip side. Black, when it's following it's plot, is heavy, mature, and full of tragic loss even at the heights of heroic exploits. Black, when it's NOT following its plot, pretty much just has the awesome MOTW suits, usually, and the awesome energy and style of the fight scenes, the rest of it just being weird as all hell.

RX was RX, be it following a story arc or just doing a random episode.

Though relatedly, and I'm not sure how often it happened after, V3 actually DID recycle some scripts. Specifically, two or three of V3's episodes are more or less remakes of original Kamen Rider episodes, due to the lack of reruns. This is why Bishop Wing randomly has a plant monster. I'm not sure if any of the other Showa Riders did this, but there ya go.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Burkion posted:

There's worse child of the week toku than Zyuranger? Wow.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Tran posted:

There's worse child of the week toku than Zyuranger? Wow.

....OK worst that I have seen.

I have not watched Zyuranger yet.

I have heard some awful things about Zyurangers and their day care system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

It depends on your tolerance towards it and if you have MMPR nostalgia. I watched it a long time ago so my memory is fuzzy but there are alot of eps for the kids, but there are eps that aren't and the later ones integrate kids decently.

• Locked thread