Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Dehry posted:

Elizabeth Persona Q (watch till the end for a surprise)

Good choice, Atlus. Just throw playable Adachi in there somehow and everything will be perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

CottonWolf posted:

Good choice, Atlus. Just throw playable Adachi in there somehow and everything will be perfect.

I'm curious why everyone seems to want playable Adachi. Is it just because he's a villain? Because I can't imagine his fighting style would be that interesting, and I've never really latched onto him as a character.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm curious why everyone seems to want playable Adachi. Is it just because he's a villain? Because I can't imagine his fighting style would be that interesting, and I've never really latched onto him as a character.
Playable Adachi in Persona 4 Arena would be fairly interesting, actually. You could do some neat stuff with the fact that his persona seems (going by his weird hunched over and screaming casting animations) to be partially rejecting him, in the same way Strega's did, like having his Persona attacks cost health or something.

But Adachi in PQ would be kinda weird since that game's more about goofy character interaction, and it's hard to have goofy character interaction with a murderer.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

ApplesandOranges posted:

He has the best facial expressions. And being such a massive dick, all his dialogue would probably be great.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Endorph posted:

Playable Adachi in Persona 4 Arena would be fairly interesting, actually. You could do some neat stuff with the fact that his persona seems (going by his weird hunched over and screaming casting animations) to be partially rejecting him, in the same way Strega's did, like having his Persona attacks cost health or something.

I thought that was just because as opposed to being in pain like Strega, Adachi was just loving bonkers at that point.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He's probably one of the most outrageous JRPG villains in a while being a pathetic loser who revels so much in the fact that he's got power that it rolls into being hilarious and endearing. He's the scumbag of scumbags and people both in the West and Japan love him for it. It helps that his S. Link adds a lot to him being rather pathetic, so people just end up liking him more as it reinforces everything they liked about him to begin with. In terms of being a playable character, you could probably just toss stuff he had from Ameno-Sagiri into Magatsu Izanagi's movelist or use one of the myriad attacks they haven't used yet, they seem to be pretty liberal with how the moves actually work.

This is on P4AU though, which he will possibly be in. PQ he'll probably end up working like most characters and people just want him in because they love the character.

Color Printer posted:

I thought that was just because as opposed to being in pain like Strega, Adachi was just loving bonkers at that point.

Yeah, it just seemed he was unhinged to me too.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 31, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Maybe the fact that he was unhinged was what was causing him pain? Iunno, I could see the hunching over just being a 'he's crazy' thing, but his casting animations seriously remind me of Strega.

Beef Waifu posted:

He's probably one of the most outrageous JRPG villains in a while being a pathetic loser who revels so much in the fact that he's got power that it rolls into being hilarious and endearing. He's the scumbag of scumbags and people both in the West and Japan love him for it. It helps that his S. Link adds a lot to him being rather pathetic, so people just end up liking him more as it reinforces everything they liked about him to begin with. In terms of being a playable character, you could probably just toss stuff he had from Ameno-Sagiri into Magatsu Izanagi's movelist or use one of the myriad attacks they haven't used yet, they seem to be pretty liberal with how the moves actually work.

Yeah, this is basically why I like Adachi - it's pretty much the same reasons I like Lezard Valeth from Valkyrie Profile, just a ridiculous loser who thinks the world should revolve around him.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Dehry posted:

Elizabeth Persona Q (watch till the end for a surprise)

I don't get the surprise. Nurse costume, or Liz's Persona who I don't recognize?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Her being playable or a boss is what I assume the surprise is.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Why would his Persona be rejecting him though? Izanami gave it to him like she gave normal Izanagi to Yu, it wasn't like it was artificially summoned like Strega's were. Adachi is just bananas.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
I thought it was supposed to be a reflection of Yu, as in "You could have become this, instead of using your ability for good."

Adachi was just the foil to the player, someone who presents himself for most of the game as being incompetent and overly dopey about solving crimes. The inversion happens when Yu discovers that everything they thought they knew was wrong, and Adachi was in on it the entire time. It's an effective way of changing up the player's expectations.

P4 originally had a message at the beginning asking people not to spoil the twists online so that everyone could make their own choices, and see who got the good ending and who didn't. It's still on the disc so they probably just axed it for fear it would provoke people into deliberating spoiling the game.

Excels fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 31, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That's exactly what he was, which is why he had the same voice actor. I don't really care about Adachi though, he stops being interesting the second you catch up with him in the TV world (dippy little bitch, huh? That's what you're going for? Alright then).

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Manatee Cannon posted:

That's exactly what he was, which is why he had the same voice actor.

I'm pretty sure this isn't true in the Japanese release. I think the real reason they have the same VA in English is because they didn't want to hire someone just to shout out a few Persona names and make battle noises.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yeah, I found Adachi to be a really ineffective villain all things considered. He does a complete 180 in terms of character right when the party finds out about him (before they even tell him about that) and complains about how boring Inaba is. Usually I can enjoy a character with simple motivations, but Adachi really didn't do it for me. Seeing them bring him back (even if it's just a flashback) is kind of annoying, since I really feel like they need to move on from him.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Momomo posted:

Yeah, I found Adachi to be a really ineffective villain all things considered. He does a complete 180 in terms of character right when the party finds out about him (before they even tell him about that) and complains about how boring Inaba is. Usually I can enjoy a character with simple motivations, but Adachi really didn't do it for me. Seeing them bring him back (even if it's just a flashback) is kind of annoying, since I really feel like they need to move on from him.

hes like literally their most popular character in years. people cannot get enough of him. i have actually seen friends of mine get into p4, become obsessed with adachi and then become cynical jerks. he has some kind of weird effect on a lot of people.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Excels posted:

hes like literally their most popular character in years. people cannot get enough of him. i have actually seen friends of mine get into p4, become obsessed with adachi and then become cynical jerks. he has some kind of weird effect on a lot of people.

He's the most effective villain because he made people listen to their Shadows outside the game.

I wouldn't be so sure he's that popular though. Are you really saying he's more popular than the main characters, the mascot characters, and the lovable waifus that these games offer? Really?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I guess I just don't see the appeal, Adachi really isn't that interesting to me. Ironically, Jojo Part 4 is a lot like P4 and I love the killer there.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

I wouldn't be so sure he's that popular though. Are you really saying he's more popular than the main characters, the mascot characters, and the lovable waifus that these games offer? Really?

Someone out there made a fully drawn, fully coded Adachi Dating Sim where you could go into Dojima's room and huff his boxers.

Adachi fans are batshit, but p4 has a pretty ridiculous fandom already. a real mixing pot of strange people.

Momomo posted:

I guess I just don't see the appeal, Adachi really isn't that interesting to me. Ironically, Jojo Part 4 is a lot like P4 and I love the killer there.

If you don't feel interested in Adachi that's a good sign for your mental health. For some reason, people latch onto this type of character. I saw a lot of the same stuff about Heath's Joker, basically unapologetic "chaos-seekers". People saying they found him attractive or agreed with his mindset. I guess it allows psychopaths to act villainous through a character instead of doing something Bad in real life.

Excels fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 31, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I wouldn't say Adachi's the most popular character, but he's definitely one of the most popular JRPG villains in a good while. It helps that he's from a pretty beloved game.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Excels posted:

Someone out there made a fully drawn, fully coded Adachi Dating Sim where you could go into Dojima's room and huff his boxers.

:stonk:

And yet the only thing I can think of is "Glad it was the adult Dojima".

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

:stonk:

And yet the only thing I can think of is "Glad it was the adult Dojima".

There was a route for the Protagonist too of course.

VVVVVVV jesus loving christ

Excels fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 31, 2014

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This actually happened.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I would go to Adachicon, not gonna lie. It would probably be one of the healthier cons, if anything.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Adachi was probably the best character in P4, though that might not mean much since it had a pretty boring cast.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Persona 5 is just going to be Persona 4, except you play as Adachi.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Persona C: Shadows of the Cabbage

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It makes me really sad that the Adachi ending that was added in golden was really lame. they could have done something crazy with it and it would have owned.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It makes me really sad that the Adachi ending that was added in golden was really lame. they could have done something crazy with it and it would have owned.

Help Adachi stuff your friends into the tv before you head out of Inaba :unsmigghh:

Edit: wait that wouldn't do poo poo uhhh

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

What happens in it? I haven't played Golden, so I don't know much about his link at all.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Momomo posted:

What happens in it? I haven't played Golden, so I don't know much about his link at all.

Basically you can just agree with everything Adachi says about how the world is poo poo and it's more fun to be a dick to everyone. Then he tests you by having you burn a crucial piece of incriminating evidence against him, nullifying him of suspicion (until the end of the plot)

Ibram Gaunt posted:

They gave Magatsu-Izanagi his very own Arcana, The Hunger.

Excels fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 31, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The main character burns the letter and Adachi chastises him for doing it the entire time, it's hilarious. Then he calls you as you leave Inaba talking poo poo to you some more, it's pretty much the best thing.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
It's really hammy and doesn't make sense in the slightest. I love it.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I kind of wish it went past the train scene there. Like, maybe the TV World could extend past Inaba. Someone could be pushed inside a tv, or be found dead on an antenna, and you just see the MC walking away or something.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Deltasquid posted:

It's really hammy and doesn't make sense in the slightest.

You could say that about everything Adachi does after you figure out he's the murderer.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Momomo posted:

It's a pretty great S. Link overall, since it functions how I'd prefer all S. Links would during the plot. That is, various main story scenes actually change a little bit depending upon what level it's at.

E: Sure hope no one new to P4 wanders onto this page...

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

P4 is a game where apparently all you need to do, to instantly resolve your social problems, is accept that you are flawed and/or pathetic and then bam you get a persona, you don't even have to become a better person or anything.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Manatee Cannon posted:

You could say that about everything Adachi does after you figure out he's the murderer.

It's the trademark of the PS2 Persona games. There's an older dude hanging around the team, being helpful and whatnot and then in December the "BECOME SHOCKING VILLAIN Y/N" switch on their backs get switched on and they have to do atrocities now. It's pretty hilarious and I hope it keeps happening in P5 and maybe PQ with like Kashiwagi or somebody.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

projecthalaxy posted:

It's the trademark of the PS2 Persona games. There's an older dude hanging around the team, being helpful and whatnot and then in December the "BECOME SHOCKING VILLAIN Y/N" switch on their backs get switched on and they have to do atrocities now. It's pretty hilarious and I hope it keeps happening in P5 and maybe PQ with like Kashiwagi or somebody.
No one gives a poo poo about Ikutsuki at least it seems.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Excels posted:

P4 is a game where apparently all you need to do, to instantly resolve your social problems, is accept that you are flawed and/or pathetic and then bam you get a persona, you don't even have to become a better person or anything.

Apparently you missed the entire point of the social links.

Hint: gaining the Persona isn't because you've solved your social problem, it signifies that you've gained the strength to face them. The party member social links are all about dealing with those social problems after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

No one gives a poo poo about Ikutsuki at least it seems.

I'd say Persona fans hate puns and, thus, Ikutsuki, but Teddie exists so