Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

Beating the blue shell is the best way to win a race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Mr. Locke posted:

It's weird, but I think I've only ever gotten the 8 in, like the first few places.

I'm convinced the Crazy 8 is unrelated to position. It seems like every item box just has a very, very low chance of giving you the Crazy 8 (though maybe not in first, because that would be kind of silly.) It shows up all over the place.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Is this game significantly faster than Mario Kart 64? Like, even 50cc makes it seem like you're driving the Mach 5.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I just unlocked the final old-school cup, and man the Retro Rainbow Road is amazingly fun. And the final stretch of track was twisted into a figure-8 and angled so it displays prominently on the starting line. It's the little touches.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Great fun but man do I wish I could rebind accelerate to the trigger

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

everythingWasBees posted:

Is this game significantly faster than Mario Kart 64? Like, even 50cc makes it seem like you're driving the Mach 5.

60FPS will do that!

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Dry Bones and Dry Bowser are totally going to be DLC. If they're not then why do I keep seeing that Undead Motors logo on the loading screens?:colbert:

Seriously though I bet they jammed us with all these babies so we'd pay for the cool poo poo.

Shellm
Oct 2, 2013

robot roll call posted:

Dry Bones and Dry Bowser are totally going to be DLC. If they're not then why do I keep seeing that Undead Motors logo on the loading screens?:colbert:

At a glance, I always first read that as URDEAD

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgEJuPhasNA drat Luigi what is your damage?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Is there a way to move the camera in relpays? I've had a few that would look great (finish-line boomerangs that miss by a whisker for example) if I could point it the other direction.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

"It's my year, motherfucker. My year."

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Can you still do wheelies on bikes? It doesn't seem like that still happens.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

when Im uploading replays to youtube and whatever, how do you save when you do closeups or slowmos? doesn't seem like it stays for when I upload it.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Mario Kart 64 WAS the best Mario Kart.

That's been changed. This is 100% the best Mario Kart game ever made. The last one I played was Wii and I NEVER had as much fun as I am on this game.

Mount Wario 4 life

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Miis have to wear a helmet while everyone else can wear hats and crowns what is this safety bullshit!!!! I wanna see my Miis' glorious hair :mad:

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
I am impressed on how good all the music tracks. Moo Moo Meadows is the best, and I will fight anyone who think otherwise.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

This is the best thing.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I have to say that after getting used to the weird handling and ridiculously sharp drifting on bikes, I'm scared that I can never go back to karts. I was just experimenting! I didn't want to be one of those bike people.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

There don't seem to be bike-specific stunts, but all vehicles can get a tiny boost from hopping at the lip of any ramp.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

My son and I just had the best finish ever!

Right before I got to the finish line, a blue shell caught up to me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR_hjx9Bfl8

And right after that, my son hit Iggy at the last second to take second...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4xEDogi5Aw

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sarchasm posted:

Just so I'm totally clear on this, the Handling stat determines your turning radius and Traction determines how well you drift, with a low Traction stat translating into lots and lots of drift and high Traction meaning virtually no drift at all.

Right?

Yeah I think that's right. I thought traction was offroading so I ignored it, but I was having the hardest time cornering, and that's why.

Reiley posted:

Can you still do wheelies on bikes? It doesn't seem like that still happens.

I've seen the bots do it! But I don't know how :v:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 31, 2014

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I've seen the bots do it! But I don't know how :v:

I'm pretty sure that's the animation the bikes do when you get a boost.

Also, what I thought was a nice touch was the tracks for some of the Koopaling time trial ghosts are references to where they appeared in SMB3.

Wendy – Dolphin Shoals
Morton - Bone Dry Dunes
Ludwig - Piranha Plant Pipeway
Lemmy – Sherbet Land

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

wow people werent kidding when they say battle mode sucks balls. Between BABIES R US and crapbattle mode, most I can give the game right now is 9/10 which is sayin something. DLC to easily fix both these modes and it'd be a perfect game.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

ok I hit the + button 6 times and now I can't save any more replays. How do I delete them?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Can other people not hear your horn online? I never hear other people using theirs.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Suaimhneas posted:

Can other people not hear your horn online? I never hear other people using theirs.

I don't think so, I think it's just a cosmetic thing for you only. I spent hours trying to rile people up with the horn online last night, and not a single person took the bait.

straight jerkers posted:

ok I hit the + button 6 times and now I can't save any more replays. How do I delete them?

You can delete them with (-) in the Mario Kart TV menu.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

enojy posted:

I don't think so, I think it's just a cosmetic thing for you only. I spent hours trying to rile people up with the horn online last night, and not a single person took the bait.

You can delete them with (-) in the Mario Kart TV menu.

Yeah I found it. Menus in this game are kind of bad.

e: like trying to compare the stats of different characters? Not great

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Space Fish posted:

There don't seem to be bike-specific stunts, but all vehicles can get a tiny boost from hopping at the lip of any ramp.

I kind of appreciate that they didn't give the bikes any specific mechanics that karts don't have, partly because I don't want to have to learn snaking or any wiggly mechanical exploit to keep up but also because it makes the bikes smaller, cooler-looking karts with better racing outfits.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Suaimhneas posted:

They're muted for other players, just in case you honk "gently caress" in morse code.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

The Crusher posted:

Also, (comparing this to Mario Kart Wii, at least) the recovery time from falling off of ledges is almost non-existent. I think I tripped off of Shy Guy Falls at the start of a race once and remained in 2nd place. I'm really glad that falling off isn't such a ridiculous gently caress you anymore.

Its a more subtle thing this time around. See, your rescue from getting thrown off is paid in coins (unless of course, you don't have any). So your overall speed decreases, which can, in theory, cost you catching up in the race.

Though having played this yesterday and today, I can say, multiplayer is the best thing. Online multiplayer whilst having someone local beside you even more so. 60 FPS whilst racing against my sister and two friends got freaking intense, especially when it was the four of us racing for the top positions. So many close calls, it was amazing.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kirios posted:

Mario Kart 64 WAS the best Mario Kart.

That's been changed. This is 100% the best Mario Kart game ever made. The last one I played was Wii and I NEVER had as much fun as I am on this game.

Mount Wario 4 life

Anyone claiming MK64 to ever have been the best (except before DD and the like) hasn't played it recently. It's absurd how much better MKDS, MK Wii, and MK7 are than MK64.

e: Also, the coin item is completely worthless. It's functionally the same as missing an item block, except you have no control over it.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Is there anyway to save when you slo-mo in a reply or force the camera to switch between targets?

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

I can't stop laughing. Why does Luigi look so pissed hahahaha

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I'm kind of surprised this game doesn't have any tutorial. With the number of weird legacy mechanics they've brought in here (tricks, bike drifting, coins, etc) that get no explanation I have to imagine this one is a little more overwhelming to pick up and play than most. It's all simple stuff but it's surprising the game doesn't explain it at all.

I guess that's true of all Mario Karts, but eventually they're going to pile so many mechanics into this franchise that they'll need to rethink this policy.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rocketlex posted:

I'm kind of surprised this game doesn't have any tutorial. With the number of weird legacy mechanics they've brought in here (tricks, bike drifting, coins, etc) that get no explanation I have to imagine this one is a little more overwhelming to pick up and play than most. It's all simple stuff but it's surprising the game doesn't explain it at all.

I guess that's true of all Mario Karts, but eventually they're going to pile so many mechanics into this franchise that they'll need to rethink this policy.

There's a tutorial. It's called the manual.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

The Crusher posted:

I can't stop laughing. Why does Luigi look so pissed hahahaha

Part of it is the way his nose overlaps his eyes, combined with his eyebrows.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Gif owns

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

PerrineClostermann posted:

Anyone claiming MK64 to ever have been the best (except before DD and the like) hasn't played it recently. It's absurd how much better MKDS, MK Wii, and MK7 are than MK64.

Eh, horses for courses. This is the first Mario Kart I have enjoyed since the N64 version which I still break out on a pretty regular basis when I have mates over thats how enjoyable it is

The music, the tracks and the mechanics are all just so good. I just was never able to get into the GC/Wii versions. Something just felt off too me most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

PerrineClostermann posted:

There's a tutorial. It's called the manual.

I don't understand. You mean there isn't a forced tutorial in which you are treated like you've never played any game ever? That's amazing I sure hope this becomes a trend.

• Locked thread