Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Maybe they'll balance the unrest in a patch; right now at some point in the campaign you get a mission to banish five crime lords, and if you do them all in one go you'll get an uprising. Seems a little excessive to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
You just said you had the tools. Just because the tools don't work like you want them to doesn't mean they're absent.

For the record this makes perfect sense, in what universe would a state leader acting as judiciary not piss everyone off?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah it's a weird switch. In T4 we had tons and tons of buildings and edicts and tool to quell unrest and disloyalty that never existed because the game was so loving easy and everyone always loved you no matter what. In T5 we finally have proper subversives, but few of the interesting or effective ways of squashing them.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Well it sounds like prisons at least will be coming later as DLC. But whatever, a bullet to the head solves the rebel/criminal problem just fine for this El Presidente. :commissar:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Zigmidge posted:

You just said you had the tools. Just because the tools don't work like you want them to doesn't mean they're absent.

For the record this makes perfect sense, in what universe would a state leader acting as judiciary not piss everyone off?

So why can't I set up a judiciary? I have tools, yes, but they force me into running democracy, so I can't even really try playing as a horribly oppressive dictator who flagrantly ignores elections and cheats.

The tools for dealing with special citizens are just lacking all around, really. Why can't I imprison rebels? Hell, it'd be nice to have options where after imprisoning them you could treat them well for less unrest, use hard labor to piss people off but maybe reduce the risk of people rebelling, or interrogate rebels to reveal other rebels.

Even just giving tools to reduce uprising chances would help immensely. Bribing people, passing edicts, keeping high happiness, firing/framing/executing scapegoats, etc.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

Yeah the uprising is more "arab spring" than "cuban revolution". Bunch of mobs appear and start loving poo poo up; they will outnumber your military, they will win.

Gun Towers are you best friend in the problem. They rip through single militia squads in an instant.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

poopzilla posted:

Well it sounds like prisons at least will be coming later as DLC. But whatever, a bullet to the head solves the rebel/criminal problem just fine for this El Presidente. :commissar:

Not really. Every time you use those options, it raises unrest which means MORE people are likely to become rebels. Even mashing the amnesty button as often as I could, and with over 75% approval/happiness I STILL had rebels coming out of the woodwork every 2 or 3 years after about 1990 in my last game.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Alkydere posted:

Not really. Every time you use those options, it raises unrest which means MORE people are likely to become rebels. Even mashing the amnesty button as often as I could, and with over 75% approval/happiness I STILL had rebels coming out of the woodwork every 2 or 3 years after about 1990 in my last game.

I haven’t had an uprising yet, but I guess that’s because I have free elections on pretty much all the time. I try to keep my Army pretty strong for rebels too and haven’t really had much trouble with them yet. I’m still not terribly far into the game though either. Overall, I am glad it’s harder to keep everybody happy. But I agree more options for dealing with rebels/criminals would be welcome.

e:

gyrobot posted:

Gun Towers are you best friend in the problem. They rip through single militia squads in an instant.

also this. Machine Gun Towers all day erryday

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Those drat rebels were shooting at my dudes and trying to blow up my palace literally five minutes ago and I know their names and their family and where they live and I am looking at them and all I can do without incrementing my very own apocalypse clock is shake my fist ineffectually at the screen :arghfist::smith:

This is not the power-mad dictator experience.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Tehan posted:

Those drat rebels were shooting at my dudes and trying to blow up my palace literally five minutes ago and I know their names and their family and where they live and I am looking at them and all I can do without incrementing my very own apocalypse clock is shake my fist ineffectually at the screen :arghfist::smith:

This is not the power-mad dictator experience.

It's a bit disappointing that the previous games were so easy there was never any reason to become an oppressive dictator, but now that there are reasons to be an oppressive dictator, there is no means to become one.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Anyone want to split a 4-pack with me? It's $30/per, and I'm looking for two more to get in on this with me!

e: either PM me, or include some sort of contact info so we can work out details

literally this big fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 30, 2014

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I tried out a proper sandbox game, but the game got really unstable as I reached 1000 tropicans. It never actually crashed but the interface wasn't functioning properly at all and tropicans, only noticed constructors, were suddenly barely able to reach construction sites.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Are the lua files moddable enough yet that someone could make, say, the banish option cause no unrest? There are some people that I want off my land and I don't care about breaking the rules :colbert:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
We literally know there's going to be DLC that addresses this.

I miss having the cabinet you get in Tropico 4.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I thought the cabinet in 4 was completely pointless. Just let me use the drat edicts without paying $20 a month per minister, dammit.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

I thought the cabinet in 4 was completely pointless. Just let me use the drat edicts without paying $20 a month per minister, dammit.

At least the cabinet had functions in addition to being a roadblock to edicts. (Depending on its setting, it could sway votes, prevent rebels or make people educate faster.)

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Nothing like having your entire economy go offline because no one is bothering to haul the uranium from the mine (which has a full output!) to the nuclear power plant that is literally across the street. Traffic had been tying up my distribution network but I'd just gotten the metro system running and arrrrrrrrrgh.

Good thing it was late in the campaign and the island got nuked minutes later. It was almost a relief.

I would really like more options for storage. It's the perfect sort of thing to add to research and trigger game events from. Each era and resource have their own building needs... silos for grains, cheese production for milk (plus food variety!), smokehouses for meat, warehouses for raw materials and manufactured goods, refrigerated warehouses for perishable goods... So many options are there. I know art assets aren't free and getting too fine-grained would be infuriating as well, but that's really the most glaring system that is missing from an otherwise great upgrade.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Speedball posted:

At least the cabinet had functions in addition to being a roadblock to edicts. (Depending on its setting, it could sway votes, prevent rebels or make people educate faster.)

It also had a flavor text worth $20 per month.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Alkydere posted:

This is nothing a few army bases and barracks can't solve. You can't rebel if you're getting run over by a tank. :getin:

Am I the only one who doesn't see uprisings as a problem? I just treat them as entertaining sidelines to my glorious capitalist hellhole. Hell, I even put a tourist trap up along one of the routes rebels like to march into my main city from, all so they could enjoy the fireworks!

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Tricky Ed posted:

Nothing like having your entire economy go offline because no one is bothering to haul the uranium from the mine (which has a full output!) to the nuclear power plant that is literally across the street. Traffic had been tying up my distribution network but I'd just gotten the metro system running and arrrrrrrrrgh.

Good thing it was late in the campaign and the island got nuked minutes later. It was almost a relief.

I would really like more options for storage. It's the perfect sort of thing to add to research and trigger game events from. Each era and resource have their own building needs... silos for grains, cheese production for milk (plus food variety!), smokehouses for meat, warehouses for raw materials and manufactured goods, refrigerated warehouses for perishable goods... So many options are there. I know art assets aren't free and getting too fine-grained would be infuriating as well, but that's really the most glaring system that is missing from an otherwise great upgrade.

I had the same problem, where I kept plopping down teamsters, and traffic wasn't bad, but no one would pick up anything from anywhere and I was quickly tens of thousands in debt. The pathing in this game is really bad, some teamsters were ignoring the 10+ pickups they needed to make near their office, and were going to one end of the island to grab something, then dragging it back across to the other end of the island to a dock, ignoring 3 closer ones, and it was the same for pretty much every office. I assume that's also why construction fails so often late game, no one prioritizes closer jobs so they just spend the entire game moving around and ultimately doing nothing.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Dunno-Lars posted:

Pictures please, I want to see that island and the oceanic traffic jam. How long have you played that game in eras and ingame years?

Played a bit more last night, hit June 2014 so I figured I'd go ahead and take some pictures and write up a little bit.

Almanac Tabs: Economy, Happiness, Population, and Politics.

Settings: Generated Island (Huge, Hills, Abundant Resources, Normal Climate), all the other sandbox settings were left at the defaults. Shortly after I started, I decided to run a renewable economy so setting resources to abundant was kind of pointless.

This is my starting area, a valley on the northwest corner of the island. I haven't done any major redevelopment, just gradual mixed expansion and infill after converting plantations to hydroponic farms. Since I'm not importing goods, I haven't felt the need to spam maximum docks, so I've spaced them out by leaving about 1 extra dock's worth of space between them. The boats still do cross paths occasionally but I haven't noticed any massive boat traffic jams like others have.

This is a plateau to the southwest of downtown. It originally started as isolated mass sugar plantations for rum production, but has mostly gotten converted to hydroponics and filled in, with a heavy focus on llama ranches (for cloth->apparel production and to provide illiterate jobs) and geothermal plants. On the left side, you can see the deleted road which led to my first uranium mine. The road now leads offscreen to a second uranium mine to the south. I originally built one regular powerplant to get electricity started, then built a nuclear plant near the mines and isolated them from the rest of the road system so none of the uranium would get exported. I've now built up enough geothermal capacity that I bulldozed the regular powerplant and will do the same to the nuclear plant once the uranium runs out.

This is the current direction of expansion to the east of downtown. A lot of cattle and llama ranches to keep the dummies at work, more cloth factories and my chocolate factories. Right now I've got happiness, approval, money, unemployment and homelessness almost entirely under control, so I'll probably start importing workers to fill a lot of open jobs, build any more housing that is needed, and then start expanding my apparel and chocolate industries here.

These are my tourism areas, hidden away on the opposite side of the island. Either I'm really bad at tourism, or it's a poo poo moneymaker. Or both. I've got a tourist rating of 100, but even this meager amount of tourist space exceeds the number of actual tourists. Maybe this is another thing that is capped by the game.

Top Exports: Rum ($230,681, 6 factories), Pharmaceuticals ($164,777, 4 factories), Cigars ($95,967, 2 factories), Apparel ($89,832, 2 factories), Chocolate ($80,227, 2 factories). Other Top Earners: Offices ($185,165, 5 offices), Stadiums ($72,303, 5 stadiums). Focused entirely on renewable industry. I've imported a little food to cover shortages if I get starvation messages, I've been mining uranium, and a bit of coal/oil for initial energy production. Other than that, no imports and no mining.

In terms of development path, I started out with a mix of food and sugar/tobacco plantations and exported the cash crops in the Colonial Era. Rum and Cigar factories open up early, so it's easy to get those going in the WW Era. Pharmaceuticals too, or early in the Cold War Era, I can't recall. Otherwise, the Cold War era was mostly preparation for Modern Era by building up cotton/wool and textile factories, and cocoa production. Modern Era has been focused on Offices, Stadiums, Apparel and Chocolate factories. I'm still in the process of filling out the last two, as high school workers become a serious bottleneck in the Modern Era, and I still need to expand my cotton capacity a bit.

I'll also say that I absolutely LOVE the new plantation build system -- it's so much nicer to be able to build knowing what space and how much space they'll take up, and it makes for nice infill opportunities when you upgrade to hydroponics later on, so you can add later buildings (metro stations!) or services like police/healthcare/religion/entertainment that you might have underbuilt in that area originally.

I've mostly dealt with shacks and homelessness by issuing the various safety net edicts like social security and mortgage subsidies very early on, keeping all housing budgets at the minimum, and then every 5-10 years I go through and find all the shacks, and build over them with new housing (or small gardens/metro stations, if there's only one buildable square). Once you get to Cold War era, money should mostly be a non-issue, so housing has been kept fully upgraded as well.

On traffic and teamsters, I've got 20 teamsters offices and 24 metro stations, and for the most part I haven't noticed any issues. Occasionally a hydroponic farm will be full, but the only times I've noticed factories shut down due to lack of inputs has been when I wasn't producing enough. Mostly my strategy has been to liberally plonk down teamsters offices near anything that needs hauling, and to liberally put down metro stations as part of infill/development. I've only got 3 construction offices, mostly because I'm so impatient that I've used quick build for most of the game anyway so why bother building more construction dudes.

After some more play, I agree with most of the comments in here about various things I'd like to see -- storage/finer-grained trade controls, more depth to police/prisons, more models of residential buildings for aesthetic variety, etc. For whatever reason, the dynasty and era system really grabbed my interest in this game whereas I got bored of Tropico 4 after maybe 20 hours, so I hope they do flesh some of these things out in DLC rather than the whole "new hat and a building" DLC strategy.

escalator dropdown fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 31, 2014

DrunkDalek
May 20, 2003

Drinking beer to make music to drink beer to.
Does anyone know who voiced the advisor in Tropico 1? I always enjoyed him the most out of all the games, yet have never found a proper v/a credit.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

escalator dropdown posted:

storage/finer-grained trade controls, more depth to police/prisons, more models of residential buildings for aesthetic variety, etc. For whatever reason, the dynasty and era system really grabbed my interest in this game whereas I got bored of Tropico 4 after maybe 20 hours, so I hope they do flesh some of these things out in DLC rather than the whole "new hat and a building" DLC strategy.

After also playing awhile, I agree. This is a nice shake-up of the formula, but it needs a bit more work. I'd also like to be able to set a priority for production building pickup. Honestly, I would really like to be able to assign buildings to teamster offices and have them ignore everything else. I feel like having my teamsters run all over the loving island is a huge waste.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Logistics have been an issue since the first game. Tropico 2 had an interesting - if dumb - approach to it, where every building that needed stuff had it's own teamster. (Or skeleton because :pirate:)

That's the only element of the existence of Tropico 2 I'm willing to acknowledge, however.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah when the buildings in a chain are like, next door to each other, there ought to be some kind of limited pickup radius. Like really you should be able to run logs to the lumber mill without a teamster.

Unions, I guess.

I finished the campaign and I guess I'll do a sandbox playthrough, although I do feel kind of like I've experienced most things the game had to offer. I would've liked to spend more time in colonial or modern times. By the later stages my islands would be so built up that whatever mission goals would get fulfilled pretty fast so I didn't get to play with hydroponics farms etc. that much.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There has got to be a better way to upgrade houses to electricity. Do I actually have to hunt them all down and click through 2 menus to do it? Also previously the model changed to show aircon or something, nothing changes so you can't even see what's upgraded or not.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is there a point to this event? Every time I've attempted it I've had to the pay 5'000 or lose relations result.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
IIRC I've gotten 30k of cash or a trait increase from that event. I'm not 100% sure though. I do know I've never had to pay to get them back.

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK
^^Yeah, outcome seems random but I've gotten a free level out of it too.

Yeah, I wish there was a way to do upgrades all at once to buildings. Maybe ctrl+click like you can when setting budgets. On that note, I also wish setting budgets could apply to later built buildings. I want all of my teamsters and construction offices at max budgets from now until forever, stop making me change it as I buy it!

Anyways, here's some pictures from my longest running Sandbox game. I'm on easy difficulty and such since I really play more for building my perfect pretty city.

This is an overview of the main city. It has dock and industrial lands in the foreground coast that transitions to beach and tourist area. The old town in the middle, and a CBD in the back close to the plateau.

Docklands. Also features and a few tenements for the island. I really like how the Tenements look in the game, I wish they had a bit more variety though.

Suburbs close to the docks. I like detailing and landscaping around houses a ton. Even if they don't have any variety it can make for some pretty areas.

The old town. I went out of my way in the colonial era to build more mansions to boost the area for eventual culture tourists but I don't think when the building was built actually matters. :saddowns:

Beaches and tourist area. I wish there was more variety in hotels. I want to have a Waikiki like beach lined with hotel towers but you can't really do that without just repeating over and over. :(

CBD, I've tried to keep my skyscrapers closer together in a newer part of town. I think it ends up looking fairly natural compared to some screenshots where they're all over.

I have a few small satellite towns on the plateau, including this one built around the space center and nuclear power plant.

Opals25 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 31, 2014

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Can I still take care of people's religious happiness by adding churches and poo poo if I pick Atheist State? :confused:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

PirateBob posted:

Can I still take care of people's religious happiness by adding churches and poo poo if I pick Atheist State? :confused:
Of course. What a silly question. Just because religion is illegal doesn't mean the state can't fund the construction of Catholic cathedrals.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Opals25 posted:

^^Yeah, outcome seems random but I've gotten a free level out of it too.

Yeah, I wish there was a way to do upgrades all at once to buildings. Maybe ctrl+click like you can when setting budgets. On that note, I also wish setting budgets could apply to later built buildings. I want all of my teamsters and construction offices at max budgets from now until forever, stop making me change it as I buy it!

Anyways, here's some pictures from my longest running Sandbox game. I'm on easy difficulty and such since I really play more for building my perfect pretty city.

This is one really nice looking island, thanks for sharing! I especially love the division into old town and modern, it looks very realistic, kudos. However, the last two pics repeat and we don't get to see your CBD.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Thank you for the pictures, it looks gorgeous!

You should get those homeless people a home Escalator, 19 homeless is quite a few. Ignoring that it is 1%.

Never had the patience to make huge towns in 4. The best I made was a city totally self sufficient from selling insurance to eachother. The only thing that made money was offices, selling insurance. Imported all the food I needed, and everyone was happy. Best insured place on earth however. Is it possible to recreate this in 5?

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK

Guildencrantz posted:

This is one really nice looking island, thanks for sharing! I especially love the division into old town and modern, it looks very realistic, kudos. However, the last two pics repeat and we don't get to see your CBD.

Oh, I didn't even notice, it's fixed now!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Dunno-Lars posted:

Thank you for the pictures, it looks gorgeous!

You should get those homeless people a home Escalator, 19 homeless is quite a few. Ignoring that it is 1%.

Never had the patience to make huge towns in 4. The best I made was a city totally self sufficient from selling insurance to eachother. The only thing that made money was offices, selling insurance. Imported all the food I needed, and everyone was happy. Best insured place on earth however. Is it possible to recreate this in 5?

There are offices that make money based on surrounding population like in 4, and you can import food, so maybe.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How do I encourage people to go to high school? In my last campaign game, I had two high schools holding at most one or two students at a time, with at least 100 unemployed illiterate or grade school-educated citizens.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Dunno-Lars posted:

At these population levels, I actually prefer letting homelessness reach ~100 before I start fixing it. It's super-fiddly to hunt down shacks, and at those homelessness levels there's often enough housing available, they just haven't moved in yet. Once I've got a nice mass of homeless, the new mass of shacks also lets me know where I need to expand housing.

You can build offices, though the descriptions don't actually specify what the employees sell or do there to make money. (Much like most real-life offices! :v:) Their effectiveness depends on population in the surrounding area. Offices don't unlock until the Modern Era. It might be possible to rebuild your island like that once you unlock Offices, but I suspect it'd be pretty tough. I typically focus on industry in city builders though, so I don't have a great handle on how feasible it'd be.

Thanks for sharing your city, Opals, that's gorgeous. I usually overlook aesthetics for fulfilling whatever immediate needs are, but I think I'll give that kind of city a try next sandbox game.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Has anyone been able to successfully go Maximum Hitler and create a horrific, oppressive hellhole of inequality? I'm trying to do that as a break from the usual utopian nice guy style, and it's actually super hard. Either I get owned by rebels, or sunk by the cost of the outsize army needed to keep the rebel hordes at bay. All I want to do is move my cronies and enforcers into lavish mansions while taking a dump on the poors, is that so much to ask?

... Now I feel terrible for typing that out.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

You really have to set your own goals in the game, it's too easy if you are just playing it straightforward. So console yourself with that, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why is my distillery not importing sugar? Is there something I have to do to get that to happen? I can’t find anywhere to enable/disable trade like in T4.

I’m in the World War era.

• Locked thread