Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

BrokenKnucklez posted:

There's a 2002 745il for sale near me for silly low money with a battery light on and a transmission issue. Knowing how touchy they are with voltage on the battery I'm thinking about buying it cheap and flipping it. The transmission in the E65s are pretty bullet proof and just get super fussy if the voltage is wrong.

Or beater 7 series. :wotwot:

Buy it buy it buy it buy it buy it

Beater 7 best 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Nait Sirhc posted:

Wait, what? Transmission replaced?!

I have no idea what the previous history of the car was before I bought it, but yes, I bought the car for around the price of what a (at-cost) transmission would cost.

Please tell me more about the previous owner and its history, though.

edit: and yes I am who you think I am on UBE!

Horse mask profile photo? It's like the drat goon trifecta taking place. You are not who I thought you were. A dude I met at C&C like 2 months ago? has a similar vintage 7 that got a smokin price on it, which had a brand new trans.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Horse mask profile photo? It's like the drat goon trifecta taking place. You are not who I thought you were. A dude I met at C&C like 2 months ago? has a similar vintage 7 that got a smokin price on it, which had a brand new trans.

Yeah, that's me. I usually don't bother waking up early enough to go to the C&Cs in Utah, mostly because it may as well be called "Subaru & Corvette weekly owners meeting, other manufacturers welcome!". The C&Cs in Silicon Valley are a lot more fun.

Who are YOU? Also, that's a bummer, I was a bit excited that my car might have possibly had a brand new transmission recently installed.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

My water pump plus thermostat blew up last week (i posted about it! yay me), got it fixed at a garage that specializes in BMW and Porsche, and it was 1000 bucks on my e90.

While talking with one of the mechanics about the issue, he mentioned during their BMW certification, people always brought up the point about the cooling systems and water pumps being terrible during their classes. The people certifying them, never had a good answer.

Does this still happen in the newest models? Is the cooling system a curse on BMW?

Binge fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 31, 2014

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Binge posted:

My water pump plus thermostat blew up last week (i posted about it! yay me), got it fixed at a garage that specializes in BMW and Porsche, and it was 1000 bucks on my e90.

Ouch :(

It was around $400 to buy all brand new OEM parts for my entire cooling system, including poo poo like heater core lines and sensors and a couple gallons of BMW brand coolant. Only takes a couple hours at most to do all the work yourself.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Binge posted:

While talking with one of the mechanics about the issue, he mentioned during their BMW certification, people always brought up the point about the cooling systems and water pumps being terrible during their classes. The people certifying them, never had a good answer.

Does this still happen in the newest models? Is the cooling system a curse on BMW?

Yup, it seems to be the other universal truth about BMW ownership, except your car comes with an electric water pump that is 700+ dollars

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Why would they need to fix it, it doesn't fail until the cars are out of warranty :smug:

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

My local shop sent me a service reminder.

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010

ThirstyBuck posted:

My local shop sent me a service reminder.

With 275,000 miles on a BMW you have paid for at least two college educations or a divorce.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

HotCanadianChick posted:

Ouch :(

It was around $400 to buy all brand new OEM parts for my entire cooling system, including poo poo like heater core lines and sensors and a couple gallons of BMW brand coolant. Only takes a couple hours at most to do all the work yourself.

The pump was 500, thermo was 110, and it was 4 hours billable labor (at 80/hr). It's my only car, or I would have done it myself. I planned on it over the summer, and thought I had a good 10k more miles or so. I was wrong!

At least when I picked my car up, it was chillin next to a Ferrari.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

blk posted:

Touring chat:

Wife is talking about wagons again, not sure how serious she is but thought I'd explore the BMW option.

Thinking E46, E39, E61 or E91.

Is the E46 still the cheapest to own and wrench on yourself? What would come second to that?

Driving a manual is starting to grow on her but I'm not sure if she'd still prefer an AT. What's the longevity on the ATs in these cars like?

If she does opt for a manual, what engine choices do we have? I think it's 325 and 328 for the E46, 525 for the E39, and no manual available for the E61 and E91 (we're in the US), but I'd like to confirm.

What is BMW's all wheel drive like re: handling/understeer and reliability/cost of ownership? I've never driven an X car.

Any major issues or links to FAQs you can provide for these models? With E46s I remember subframes being a problem. With all cars I know of the cooling system stuff, bushings and rubber bits, etc.

Mrs Mango has an '08 E61. We bought it new and at the time it was at least theoretically possible to get a manual transmission. I don't know if there are any out there with a manual. Handling is fine, never tracked it or anything but understeer is minor and predictable. Good corner entry and turn in can keep it settled and composed. Remember it's an open diff system so power only moves around if a wheel gets braked. Full disclosure I have never seen snow in it and rarely rain so the AWD hasn't gotten much of a workout.

For the E61 with N54 there are the typical n54 issues (HPFP, turbo waste gates, the need to walnut blast the valves at some point). Electrical can be troublesome. I think we are on our third nav system. We also had the shifter replaced, apparently a common failure with those.

As for cost of ownership, it really hasn't been bad. Warranty was good and took care of a lot of stuff and our maintenance will be based on time and not miles since it's a low mileage car now. We have had a few wheel hubs fail and some normal wear parts but nothing extreme. Will have to figure out when to do the GOD DAMNED COOLING SYSTEM but that's the only looming thing.

The E61 is great and would highly recommend one.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

EvellSnoats posted:

With 275,000 miles on a BMW you have paid for at least two college educations or a divorce.

Nope, but the guy I bought it off of did all of those things for himself and his daughter.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Binge posted:

The pump was 500, thermo was 110, and it was 4 hours billable labor (at 80/hr). It's my only car, or I would have done it myself. I planned on it over the summer, and thought I had a good 10k more miles or so. I was wrong!

I feel your pain. Mine ate itself in the middle of winter. I had just ordered the parts when the temps dropped to "gently caress that" territory. I ended up taking it in instead. Cost me slightly less then you, but not by much. Stupid electric pump.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/4496620598.html

So this is pretty cheap. I'd like to think interior issues is something easy like swappable seats or something and not mold/mildew/smoke. Any idea what the AC/heater issue would be?

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

blk posted:

http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/4496620598.html

So this is pretty cheap. I'd like to think interior issues is something easy like swappable seats or something and not mold/mildew/smoke. Any idea what the AC/heater issue would be?

Intermittent fan is usually FSU replacement, I believe. It's pretty common and there are ton's of DIY's. Cheap, but a minor bastard to do as it's hard to reach.

Seat cosmetic issues could be small tears or just rear end-prints worn in.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
"a couple of lights stay on and my mechanic doesn't know why and I don't even know (or don't want to say) what lights they are" indicates a crappy owner and a crappy mechanic and probably means deep maintenance debt at the very least.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
That's pretty cheap but first year cars are usually pretty bad so

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

televiper posted:

"a couple of lights stay on and my mechanic doesn't know why and I don't even know (or don't want to say) what lights they are" indicates a crappy owner and a crappy mechanic and probably means deep maintenance debt at the very least.

This. It screams 'I take my car to the cheapest shop in town who probably doesn't know a drat thing about them fancy furrin' cars', and it's probably way overdue for a cooling system overhaul and shot suspension. E46 autos are terrible and (luck of the draw) a lot of them are lovely GM units that die with little or no warning, especially if not maintained.

If you're looking for a BMW, you'll have much better selection around the Portland area, hardly anyone in Lane county owns BMWs (and there's not much in the way of German specialty mechanics there either - I think just one shop off of west 11th in Eugene). They're everywhere up here.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 10:43 on May 31, 2014

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Binge posted:

Is that CanTech?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

ZincBoy posted:

A pic of the car on the new rims/tires:

This makes me miss my E46, gorgeous car.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

There is a red E39 M5 for sale that looks to be in pretty nice condition for less than $14 grand locally. It's tempting to sell my car and buy it, but would no doubt be a terrible idea. http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=13301084&nid=917&car=1308687&page=0&make=BMW&model=M5

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

There is a red E39 M5 for sale that looks to be in pretty nice condition for less than $14 grand locally. It's tempting to sell my car and buy it, but would no doubt be a terrible idea. http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=13301084&nid=917&car=1308687&page=0&make=BMW&model=M5

Non-mobile link: http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/1308687?ad_cid=1

gigButt
Oct 22, 2008

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Ive seen those pics on CL Vegas. This was in March and April. Fishy...

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

Dantu posted:

Is that CanTech?

Well a quick google shows there's CanTech shops in the next city over, but no. It's The Little Speed Shop, they sponsor the local BMWCCA chapter here. I've wanted to go there for something for a while, but was hoping it would be an upgrade rather than emergency fix (which they did great, dropped it off Sunday evening, picked it up Tuesday after work).

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Binge posted:

Well a quick google shows there's CanTech shops in the next city over, but no. It's The Little Speed Shop, they sponsor the local BMWCCA chapter here. I've wanted to go there for something for a while, but was hoping it would be an upgrade rather than emergency fix (which they did great, dropped it off Sunday evening, picked it up Tuesday after work).

:cheers: fellow upstate NY BMW goon. The entrance looks almost exactly the same and I saw a similar Ferrari last time I was there. Must be a glitch in the matrix.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Today in blk's bad ideas:

A high mileage E36 M3 in my favorite colors with the wrong tranny:

http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/4470029622.html

A tranny:

http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/4473171365.html

Worth thinking about at that mileage? I'm not familiar with the US S50B30.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Looks ok, i really like avus blue. Pretty sure you can swap a zf transmission if you want (it's better than the getrag)

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

98 M3, S52. Paid $700 for the car a few months ago. Was blowing steam out the exhaust and had a bent strut tower. I paid $1200 to fix the strut tower and am now fixing the motor.

I pulled the head tonight and found this... Head gasket is fine, so it's just these cracks steaming.

I live right next to a good quality machine shop--should I get the cracks welded up and head rebuilt, or look for another M52/S52 head?

How much should I pay for a used head?

Cyl#4

Cyl #3

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
I don't like dealing with cracked heads, it's hard to know how far that rabbit hole goes.

I'd buy a known good head over dumping money into it. Isn't the m50 head pretty much the same minus the cams? They're not terribly rare and I think the local yard sells heads for about $100, probably less without the cams.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Pretty sure M52 and S52 heads are the same casting wise, it's the cams and valvetrain gear that makes them flow better and handle the higher RPMs

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
The machine shop dudes said they won't weld it up, it's not worth it. They would di it if it was something rare/expensive, but otherwise like you guy suggested, get a good used one.

Guy on r3v suggested this

"Check this out. I don't think this is a bad deal
http://www.autoheadperformance.com
Talk to Sheldon this is his specialty."

I'll give them a call today.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
A local track guy used them to source a head when his was cracked. Seems pretty happy with it.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Those prices are ridiculous for something so common.

Locally it's about $250-350 for someone to do everything stated that they do, minus the polishing of the valves, which I bet does jack all.

I guess it depends on how much your time is worth to you.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Finding the head in good condition is the difficult part for me. I'd rather not spend a whole day in the junkyard in the dirt pulling heads and checking them when I could just ship to this guy and have it done.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
My wife's planning on a new car and has been looking at the 2 series (220d M sport) with assorted extras. Apart from thinking the dealership has somehow managed to put the cashback from her range rover onto the PCP, the most shocking thing is how expensive it ends up being compared to the Mercedes CLA and SLK she also took out to test.

The SLK is more expensive but comes out to £200 a month less than the BMW (if they haven't hosed up their figures) and the CLA's the same price as she specced it out to and it's £100 less per month.

Anyone know if BMWs are just generally overpriced to finance (in comparison to merc/audi)?

Weirdly after checking some numbers I think a 420d would work out cheaper for her over 3 years, despite costing a few grand more.

PST fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jun 3, 2014

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Are you sure the loans are for the same term length?

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Same term length. Mercedes actually offered a lower valuation on the RR so the deposit on the CLA is slightly under that of the BMW, but still for £100 less a month. The SLK has a £4.5k dealer incentive on it, which i'd guess is to hit their target but the CLA doesn't.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Aren't you never supposed to negotiate on monthly payment?

I've never bought a new car but it's hard to believe you don't know the actual price they'll give you on the cars you're trying to buy.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

PST posted:

The SLK is more expensive but comes out to £200 a month less than the BMW

This doesn't make much sense if you're comparing equal financing terms with similar interest rates.

I think you're either confused or are not giving us the important/correct details. Are you comparing buying vs. leasing?

Also stop shopping in terms of monthly payments, that's the quickest way to get screwed. Shop and negotiate on the total cost of the car, and handle financing based on that cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yep. Also it's your job to know how much you can afford and how pricing vs loan term will affect payments. You should be able to run the numbers in your head without the helpful sales guy's assistance.