Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Pillboxes are much more effective than lined walls, at the cost of "if you misjudge where attacks come from, you regret it". Putting 8 lasers every ~50 stops all attacks and saves you hundreds on your electric bill.

E: Too lazy to count? Put a pillbox around every other Large Power Pole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Evilreaver posted:

Pillboxes are much more effective than lined walls, at the cost of "if you misjudge where attacks come from, you regret it". Putting 8 lasers every ~50 stops all attacks and saves you hundreds on your electric bill.

E: Too lazy to count? Put a pillbox around every other Large Power Pole.

Laser pillboxes it is.

Can they fire over walls?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Absolutely.

This is the design I use most (though usually with more turrets, I'm having resourcing troubles in my current game). The trick is to use at least one space of 'moat', since Big Biters can attack one space over. This design forces them to break both walls before they can hit the turrets.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 31, 2014

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

Laser pillboxes it is.

Can they fire over walls?

Yeah, LASERS have much better range than bullets. Have two empty squares between them and the wall because biters can hit stuff up to three tiles away. Some people fill this empty space with more walls, but that’s entirely unnecessary unless you’re assaulting a nest.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Evilreaver posted:

Absolutely.

This is the design I use most (though usually with more turrets, I'm having resourcing troubles in my current game). The trick is to use at least one space of 'moat', since Big Biters can attack one space over. This design forces them to break both walls before they can hit the turrets.

So do you run lengths of walls between the boxes as perimeters? or just leave open spaces?

I assume a perimeter wall can be used and then pillboxes every so often for defense.

Edit: another question: will biters come across water? Or is that a natural barrier?

MS Paint fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 31, 2014

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

I assume a perimeter wall can be used and then pillboxes every so often for defense.

This is a good idea, yes. But don't just build heavy defenses randomly. Pay attention to where your walls get attacked and build lots of turrets in that area. Biters usually go after the same targets.

Really, you should start a new game without peaceful mode instead of just disabling it through the console. If you play the game naturally, attacks start off really weak, so you'll get a better feel for the direction they come from and how to defend against them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

will biters come across water? Or is that a natural barrier?

Water is impassible.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

FISHMANPET posted:

How'd you make this screenshot?

Lots of screenshots + Autostitch

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

So wait a second. What if I want to put a laser guard tower every...say...10 squares...is that too many?

My approach is to upgrade from my gun-turret wall to lasers: triple thickness concrete wall, lined with gun turrets, each fed by a fast inserter off a belt that encircles my whole base, with the ammo feed provided by dedicated assemblers with 2-6 smart chests as buffer. I just shut off the assemblers and start replacing the turrets along the path of the conveyor, basically replacing them as they use up the ammo on the belts and are no longer able to fend off the biters.

I tend to build ludicrously un-green bases and need all that firepower. :haw:

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I started building my solar farm and accumulator farms. Laser pillboxes are going up and I am printing more batteries.

I am going to tear down my old area and move into this new area because the old place is tiny and I need space for solar power.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
I'm at the mission where you are introduced to the train and I keep loosing a base while I'm out checking up on the other one. It's extremely frustrating because it takes too much effort just to keep the drat turrets stocked. They are my only defensive option at this point (no laser turrets or whatever other fancy poo poo is available later). What do?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Mr. Wynand posted:

I'm at the mission where you are introduced to the train and I keep loosing a base while I'm out checking up on the other one. It's extremely frustrating because it takes too much effort just to keep the drat turrets stocked. They are my only defensive option at this point (no laser turrets or whatever other fancy poo poo is available later). What do?

Get trains running PRONTO, and drive the trains to get from place to place. The mission doesn't tell you to get trains fast enough, it should be your #1 priority.

E: Or rather, it doesn't underline "Like, Right Now" after "Research Automatic Trains 0/1"

E2: Also, it's easy to make little assemblers->belt->turrets and just manually feed a stack of iron to them every so often.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 31, 2014

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
woha woha woha hang on... you can ride the train?? I've been trying to !

e: gently caress it's enter isn't it? Why didn't I think of trying that.

Also, do the aliens grow stronger based on pollution or is it also just time?

Also is it worth it trying to take down their little camps with only SMGs, shotgun and grenade?
I tried ... once... didn't go well.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It's a combination of both the pollution and time, but the former is a stronger increment. You can take down small bases that do not have worms with an SMG and armour piercing bullets early on but once there are more than one or two medium biters you aren't going to chew through their armour and HP fast enough to kill them easily.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think if you wanna take out that base by the iron mine you'd have to turret creep. I'm literally paused right now with the creeps basically wiping that mine out.

The mission doesn't even really explain that you need to get trains going pronto to exploit those far out bases, I might have to reset this mission again now that I know what's going on.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Ok having a bullet assembler just feed a firing base seems to have done the trick. I just have part of the output of the iron mines go to bullet manufature, just have to import coal every now and then. Those red worms are still sons of bitches though - they really need AP ordinance.

Getting the train running was reasonably straightforward, as long as you do it before your local iron runs out it seems to be ok.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.

FISHMANPET posted:

I think if you wanna take out that base by the iron mine you'd have to turret creep. I'm literally paused right now with the creeps basically wiping that mine out.

The mission doesn't even really explain that you need to get trains going pronto to exploit those far out bases, I might have to reset this mission again now that I know what's going on.

It is definitely possible to remove it out without turret creeping. Make sure to bring steel armor and lots of piercing ammo for your SMG, then aggro the bugs and slay them all, then edge in carefully towards one of the spawners and focus it down at maximum range. You will eventually have to remove some of the worms but it will be easier after a few spawners are dead.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Even if you only manage to just kill a few spawners, it dramatically reduces the strength of later attacks.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
I passed it yall. The whole mining base was just sitting on a mountain of corpses. Eventually they still managed to break through, but I had all my steel ready by then. I imagine lasers and steel walls make holding such things significantly easier.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I eventually just gave up on the iron base, but it was OK, since I had about 12k iron ore at my base when the biters took it all down.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
Here is some (rather rough) calculated/experimental data and rules of thumb for people who care:

Biter evolution is asymptotic. Left completely untouched (no pollution, no attacking):

.3 (medium biters begin showing up) happens at around 12.5 hours
.6 (big biters) happens at around 32 hours

As explained on the wiki, spawn rate is directly related to evolution factor, and each time a biter is spawned a number is rolled between zero and the current evolution factor. 0-0.3, a small biter is created; .3-.6, a medium biter; .6 and higher, a big biter. Spawners further from the game's start point also get a bonus added, so really distant spawners will not be putting out many small biters, if any. Biter settling parties (and frequency) are also directly related to the evolution factor, so as time goes on you can expect larger and more frequent incursions.

Biters will not settle a new base within a certain distance of the player's base. This seems to mean any player-placed structures, so leaving little totems or markers of some cheap, unobtrusive structure (like an electric pole) in the wilderness around your base is a good idea (that seems to work).

Destroying a spawner advances the clock roughly 10.5 minutes.

Spawners in the range of your pollution add about +100% to evolution rate (probably actually closer to 80%, but we're talking rules of thumb here). If pollution is visible on your minimap even at the lightest level (say, flickering over their base) it is enough to "feed" at least three or four spawners this way.

All of which really just reinforces the idea that if a biter base is in range of your pollution, you should take it out as soon as is feasible.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
Do new bitter spawns ever pop up in areas where you already removed one?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

James The 1st posted:

Do new bitter spawns ever pop up in areas where you already removed one?

Yes, yes they do. I have three forward bases now to feed my metal hungry main factory and each of them remain covered in landmines and lasers as I've had biter spanners pop up right next to them. Just keep your radars going and you should notice new bases before they get too big.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
drat, I'm gonna have to abandon my long-run scorched-sky game, I can't keep the boilers powered because the lasers keep stealing all the power that should be going to the mines/solid fuel factories. It's good that a sandbox game can have a fail state if you gently caress up a challenge run.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
For what it's worth, with some selective trimming of power lines (that seemingly utterly useless functionality...) you could probably maintain a separate power network just to keep the boilers going.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Ugh, this combat is just infurating. I'm going through the "tutorial" and now I'm on the mission where it's pure combat, and this is just awful. What the hell am I supposed to be doing here? The game is telling me to use rockets, but they're awful. Am I missing something here?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Defence capsules. The rockets are for destroying spawners, for biters themselves it's best to fab a few hundred defence capsules and let them do the legwork while you pull doughnuts in the car, tossing more out of the window as they expire.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Wow holy poo poo. Just ran into that big base, burnt all my defense capsules, and just tore it all down in only two tries.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
I'm trying to get this running on my laptop and for some reason the game launches but it's minimized and won't maximize. I'm able to see that it's launched from the preview when I hover over it on my taskbar. Anyone know wtf is going on?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Garfu posted:

I'm trying to get this running on my laptop and for some reason the game launches but it's minimized and won't maximize. I'm able to see that it's launched from the preview when I hover over it on my taskbar. Anyone know wtf is going on?

It’s a known issue. Apparently there are a couple of workarounds.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So, before I go to bed, I just wanted to know where is there a config file to edit richness of resources to where they are nearly infinite, and things like that?

Moving large factory operations off deposits is a real chore.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
You can use trains to move resources to your base and factories quickly. The only thing you should be moving periodically are mining operations equipment, rail, power, and defense items.

Sometimes I just set up a ridiculously long conveyor belt between the resources and my base, instead of doing a rail line.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Finished a nearly fully automated production line for Science 3 and set up a huge base perimeter with guns loaded by conveyor belt. Also started to develop an unhealthy interest in trains.

Was just coming to ask about how to defeat base spawns. Have modular armor, MK2 batteries, MK2 shields, combat shotgun and rockets. Can murder the small and medium biters without issue but the worms were rocking my poo poo. I'll try defense capsules!

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

With enough capsules and you can pretty much do anything. I was taking out bases by spamming distractor capsules all around, while I ran in circles with destroyer capsules killing the things trailing me. Capsules turn your production into disposable killing.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
Poison capsules are great for worms. 160 damage each, and worms don't regenerate.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

So, before I go to bed, I just wanted to know where is there a config file to edit richness of resources to where they are nearly infinite, and things like that?

Moving large factory operations off deposits is a real chore.

Quoting my old post:

Banemaster posted:

You can edit Factorio\data\base\prototypes\entity demo-resources.lua and resources.lua and increase richness_base. 350k resources per tile isn't infinite, but it still is pretty close.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Shintaro posted:

Poison capsules are great for worms. 160 damage each, and worms don't regenerate.

I still have not seen a single Worm. I have no idea what they look like.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I still have not seen a single Worm. I have no idea what they look like.

Worms are just "towers" they are the structures in enemy bases that shoot you.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Deconstruction planners will command your bots to chop down trees! This changes everything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

boo_radley posted:

Deconstruction planners will command your bots to chop down trees! This changes everything!

They're very fast too, instant chopping!