Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

This is easily worse than those Malaysian dubs or whatever. Christ, these guys obviously know english yet they still gently caress everything up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I guess the Faulconer love is a nostalgia trip for people who grew up with it. I grew up with it, but I still don't like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ondq9zKummI

This for instance, it's super rocky then turns into this weird clown music. That's not intimidating or exciting, it's goofy. Also there are elements that make it sound like it came from a playstation or something.

That's the thing that always struck me with the Faulconer soundtrack. It sounds like something some guy came up with off his laptop, and not in the EDM way, in the "make this soundtrack on a strict budget" way. The Japanese soundtrack may have been super brassy, but it just came off as more dramatic and lavish than the dub's.

Also it's a shame Dragon Ball didn't get as much attention as DBZ. It's a better story and a much better dub.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I'm going to be all contrarian and say I like the DBZ Kai soundtrack way better than Bruce Faulconer's stuff, by like a lot.

Mind you, I really, really like brassy music.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

To me, the original DBZ soundtrack they used in Kai had almost no gravitas. Plus when every single action scene has the same brassy kinda-bandstandy tune going on, it just gets a bit boring. At least Faulconer brought in a whole bunch of different songs, even if he did wind up covering every second of footage with some soundtrack.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
Maybe it's because I grew up on the Japanese version of DBZ and went back to watch all of the original Dragon Ball, but I'm totally fine with the Japanese soundtrack and strongly prefer their voice actors. The American soundtrack didn't seem to fit the show at all and it's always been the most cringeworthy part of the show for me. The voice actors were also extremely cheesy. And worst of all, they totally ruined Gohan's transformation scene against Cell in the American version.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

crankdatbatman posted:

I guess the Faulconer love is a nostalgia trip for people who grew up with it. I grew up with it, but I still don't like it.

This for instance, it's super rocky then turns into this weird clown music. That's not intimidating or exciting, it's goofy. Also there are elements that make it sound like it came from a playstation or something.

Super Buu's theme is great. Buu has no purpose other than destruction. Even at his most sane (once he absorbs Piccolo) he's still pretty loving unhinged when he gets even the slightest bit frustrated. That song conveys that pretty well I think. It starts off menacing and then kicks into a frenzy, much like Buu himself.

Literally do not understand how so many people can hate the Faulconer soundtrack. You are all crazy people.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

AshB posted:

And worst of all, they totally ruined Gohan's transformation scene against Cell in the American version.

I can't agree with this. I do really like that scene in Japanese, but I think Gohan's monologue in the Funimation version is really really good.

WhiffleballDude posted:

Super Buu's theme is great.

I totally agree with this.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

WhiffleballDude posted:

Super Buu's theme is great. Buu has no purpose other than destruction. Even at his most sane (once he absorbs Piccolo) he's still pretty loving unhinged when he gets even the slightest bit frustrated. That song conveys that pretty well I think. It starts off menacing and then kicks into a frenzy, much like Buu himself.

Literally do not understand how so many people can hate the Faulconer soundtrack. You are all crazy people.

It's because it sounds cheap to me. It's like video game music from two decades ago. But hey, to each his own.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Wasn't there next to zero actual soundtrack in Japanese version? I distinctly remember that when Vegeta transformed before fighting Android 19, he did it in almost complete silence (well okay, he grunted a little).

Plus Goku's Japanese voice is... er, not that great.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

PiedPiper posted:

Wasn't there next to zero actual soundtrack in Japanese version? I distinctly remember that when Vegeta transformed before fighting Android 19, he did it in almost complete silence (well okay, he grunted a little).

Goku's Japanese voice is just ridiculous, it's so silly that they refused to change his VA after the timeskip.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

crankdatbatman posted:

It's because it sounds cheap to me. It's like video game music from two decades ago. But hey, to each his own.

Well that's basically why I like it. That cheesy 90s feel

EDIT: Case in point, this is basically the best thing ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpkeAQG6kQw

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 1, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Shindragon posted:

As DBZA said.

NOBODY watched DRAGONBALL.

Which is dumb because Dragon Ball is actually way better :colbert:

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Zorak posted:

Yeah, I mean, people who weren't part Space Monkey actually could be relevant.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Zorak posted:

This is true, but it was lacking in sweet beam fights.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

crankdatbatman posted:

I'm sorry. I don't understand how you can listen to that song and not come to the conclusion that it fits the character perfectly.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Aside from Vegeta's SSJ theme and the SSJ3 theme, the Faulconer soundtrack pales in comparison to the Kai music. Even those two themes sound super-cheap. Maybe the Faulconer stuff but orchestrated would be nice?

Snowcow
Oct 17, 2007

PiedPiper posted:

No there was plenty, it's just that it had silence too which the dub music didn't.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Do I understand correctly that DBZ finished airing in the US before DB? Because here in Germany Dragon Ball aired two years before DBZ and I remember being blown away when they revealed that Goku was an alien. Our localisation of DBZ was kind of weird though. From what I've read online they used the French localisation as a basis. The French version aired in the afternoon but the German dub aired at 7pm so it had more cuts than you would expect. There was content in DBZA that I never saw when I first watched the series, like Dodoria stabbing that Namekian.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Pyroi posted:

Goku did pretty much everything in Dragon Ball. Krillen and Piccolo at least got some moments to shine in Z.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Retcon posted:

Do I understand correctly that DBZ finished airing in the US before DB? Because here in Germany Dragon Ball aired two years before DBZ and I remember being blown away when they revealed that Goku was an alien. Our localisation of DBZ was kind of weird though. From what I've read online they used the French localisation as a basis. The French version aired in the afternoon but the German dub aired at 7pm so it had more cuts than you would expect. There was content in DBZA that I never saw when I first watched the series, like Dodoria stabbing that Namekian.

Dragonball aired way after DBZ in the US, and I think Dragonball lost it's timeslot multiple times it's a bit hazy.

I think Dragonball was a little too Japanese and a little too much of a step down after the fights of DBZ for most of us youngins to give a poo poo. I know I got bored and ignored it after like two episodes.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

crankdatbatman posted:

That's the thing that always struck me with the Faulconer soundtrack. It sounds like something some guy came up with off his laptop, and not in the EDM way, in the "make this soundtrack on a strict budget" way. The Japanese soundtrack may have been super brassy, but it just came off as more dramatic and lavish than the dub's.

Also it's a shame Dragon Ball didn't get as much attention as DBZ. It's a better story and a much better dub.
This song was used in VGCW and is therefore legit.

Snowcow
Oct 17, 2007

Retcon posted:

Do I understand correctly that DBZ finished airing in the US before DB?

Dragon ball started airing at the same time the Buu arc started. There was a dub of it in the late eighties and another in '95 but they didn't go anywhere.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Retcon posted:

In the UK, at least, Cartoon Network (though it was probably Toonami by then; I can't exactly remember) didn't air DB until after they'd finished DBZ. In fact, they may not even have aired it until after they'd finished GT.

It was definitely advertised as a kind of "see where it all began" thing.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Goku's Japanese voice is just ridiculous, it's so silly that they refused to change his VA after the timeskip.

I think it's worse that they were so lazy they used the same voice actress for Goku, Gohan and Goten. Hell she was even used for Bardock!

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
As has been stated earlier, the reason they kept Goku's VA the same is the same reason for all of the bad decisions regarding Dragonball: the fans demanded it and refused to accept anything else. It's why Cell and Buu happened, it's why Gohan gets punked repeatedly, it's why Goku always has to save the day

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

That's interesting. I wonder if people would have reacted differently to DBZ if they had watched DB before. A lot of characters that are just support characters in DBZ like Roshi or Tien had a much larger role in Dragon Ball. I was pretty annoyed as a child when Tien went from "Goku's rival" to "Guy that shows up for fights but is ridiculously outclassed".

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Retcon posted:

That's interesting. I wonder if people would have reacted differently to DBZ if they had watched DB before. A lot of characters that are just support characters in DBZ like Roshi or Tien had a much larger role in Dragon Ball. I was pretty annoyed as a child when Tien went from "Goku's rival" to "Guy that shows up for fights but is ridiculously outclassed".

You mean in his second appearance?

In Dragonball.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Pyroi posted:

Did you watch Dragon Ball? The only time other characters were relevant was when they were the villains. Just like DBZ.

visceril posted:

As has been stated earlier, the reason they kept Goku's VA the same is the same reason for all of the bad decisions regarding Dragonball: the fans demanded it and refused to accept anything else. It's why Cell and Buu happened, it's why Gohan gets punked repeatedly, it's why Goku always has to save the day
Does somebody have to break out that website shooting down every fan theory about what the proper ending point was again?

I'm pretty sure the Gohan getting punked part is true, but that's also because it's the exact same thing as "Goku always saving the day" with a different coat.

Retcon posted:

They'd have a different perception but that doesn't mean the perception is correct.

The cycle is really simple. Character is a villain and therefore a threat, then Goku beats him. He turns into an ally, but he's not strong enough to be useful. This is literally all of DB and DBZ. The only reason people have a different perception regarding DB villains is because they came in after the character was a proper threat, not because the writing was actually any different.

I mean guys, this is literally what the "Yamcha got Yamcha'd" joke in DBZA is all about. To help people remember, Yamcha was one of the first people Goku beat who turned into an ally fighter. Thus, he's also one of the first ally fighters to turn completely irrelevant. By the time DBZ happens, Yamcha's the most professional jobber of the whole cast.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 1, 2014

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Everybody but Goku was pretty outclassed in Dragon Ball as early as the King Piccolo arc. Yajirobe did a thing but everybody gets to be a badass for their first appearance (except Yamcha)

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

You mean in his second appearance?

In Dragonball.
Now that I think of it you are probably right. At least he put up a decent fight against Goku in the last tournament in DB before before becoming almost completely useless in DBZ. The only part I remember where he was relevant is when he hold off Cell for a while.

Edit: And even his last fight in DB was to show off how strong Goku got in the time skip. Dude had it kind of rough after his first appearance.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

My issue with DB->DBZ is the fights being more about flashy beams and straight up fights than weird poo poo, like the lady who seduced men to beat them easily, or the guy who won fights because he smelled so bad his opponents got knocked out.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The first season of Dragon Ball actually aired before Dragon Ball Z in America. It went straight from summoning Shenron to Gohan appearing, basically. Then years and years later, the original Dragon Ball aired past that point - around the time of the Buu saga, and no one cared.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Genocyber posted:

My issue with DB->DBZ is the fights being more about flashy beams and straight up fights than weird poo poo, like the lady who seduced men to beat them easily, or the guy who won fights because he smelled so bad his opponents got knocked out.

That's not all that true though. Radditz, Vegeta, and Nappa followed the pure strength pattern from Tenshinhan on.

Then after Dodoria, you had stop time guy, big strong guy, two fast guys, and body switch guy.

Then Freeza, and pure strength again.

Then androids that could suck everyone's energy, then guy that has everyone's abilities that is weaker than everyone and has to mix those abilities with eating everyone to power up.

Then guy that spit stone acid, wizard guy, guy that sucked your energy out...

...then pink genie that could turn people into candy and absorb people.

There was actually a lot of variety in the Z section and a bit of fight creativity. It doesn't help that the anime emphasizes the punchy stuff over the other stuff to the point where punching has more episodes than anything else.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Twiddy posted:

correct.

The cycle is really simple. Character is a villain and therefore a threat, then Goku beats him. He turns into an ally, but he's not strong enough to be useful. This is literally all of DB and DBZ. The only reason people have a different perception regarding DB villains is because they came in after the character was a proper threat, not because the writing was actually any different.

I would argue that Vegeta and Piccolo were strong enough to be useful and pretty essential in quite a few fights, but your pretty much right otherwise.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Darko posted:

There was actually a lot of variety in the Z section and a bit of fight creativity. It doesn't help that the anime emphasizes the punchy stuff over the other stuff to the point where punching has more episodes than anything else.

I don't know, one thing I always appreciated about the DBZ anime is that most of the fights actually felt like, you know, fights and not overly stylish choreographed dancing masquerading as fighting or a back-and-forth exhibition of increasingly esoteric powers and/or latent abilities that needed to be "figured out." People flew around the air punching each other and occasionally shooting pretty energy beams until one of them stopped moving and it owned. :colbert:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The one thing that always baffled me is, after rewatching DBZA I thought to myself

Wait, why is Vegeta so obsessed with beating Goku? He already did that. Goku got trounced pretty thoroughly even with all of his Kaio-what, it was only through repeated intervention that a draw was achieved by mutual KO.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Captain Oblivious posted:

The one thing that always baffled me is, after rewatching DBZA I thought to myself

Wait, why is Vegeta so obsessed with beating Goku? He already did that. Goku got trounced pretty thoroughly even with all of his Kaio-what, it was only through repeated intervention that a draw was achieved by mutual KO.

He didn't become obsessed with being stronger than him until he saw him during the Namek saga where Goku one shots 2 dudes that individually could have murdered Vegeta a dozen times over.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Captain Oblivious posted:

Goku's a regular ol' Saiyan who managed to fight the Prince to somewhat of a standstill, had a shot at beating him and then kept one-upping Vegeta on Namek.

Vegeta's got a huge superiority complex about being the Prince of all Saiyans and can't deal with the fact that any other Saiyan could possibly be stronger than him.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Goku's a regular ol' Saiyan who managed to fight the Prince to somewhat of a standstill, had a shot at beating him and then kept one-upping Vegeta on Namek.

Vegeta's got a huge superiority complex about being the Prince of all Saiyans and can't deal with the fact that any other Saiyan could possibly be stronger than him.

Fair enough it's just kind of funny in retrospect because I always kind of took it for granted as a kid that Goku "beat" Vegeta in the original fight and then a rewatch made it fairly obvious that wasn't the case at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Some Numbers posted:

It's odd him and Gohan didn't seem to fight/spar even like once during the Buu timeskip you'd think he would be beating on his door like daily.

• Locked thread