Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

Digital_Jesus posted:

On the plus side I get to fart around on the ninja for shits n giggles until she's ready to ride it.

Just give her the RC8 for her first bike :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Lol she can't even get on it. She's 5'0".

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

Digital_Jesus posted:

Man y'all have friends and poo poo. I just convinced my wife to take the course.
I'm willing to consider trades.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Creeper.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Frosty- posted:

I'm willing to consider trades.

You don't want her, she's too small. Sure she'd be fun around town but on the highway she just doesn't have enough oomph to get away from clusters of traffic. Good beginner but otherwise you're wasting your time.

(My girl is 5 feet as well. I put her on the DRZ and it looked like a kid on a pony.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Frosty- posted:

how he loves to get his knee down because he can really feel it catch the wind and help him turn like some kind of airbrake
I'll have you know that this was exactly one of the reasons given by BT commentators for MotoGP riders using "the Doctor's dangle" waving their inside leg off the peg when approaching a turn.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Maybe they're on to something. Batsuit steering.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I have a relatively smart friend who rides who genuinely believes that too. Blows my mind.

Not as much as learning Razzled knows someone who crashed more than him in a week of riding though.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Digital_Jesus posted:

Lol she can't even get on it. She's 5'0".

Had a girlfriend who rode, and she shared my love of sportbikes. Unfortunately, at 5'2", even a Ninja 250 was too tall for her to feel comfortable on. But even though she rode a Yamaha Route 66 (250cc cruiser), she got way more than her share of the guys who would say crap about how they were much too fast to ride a bike, they would kill themselves/go to jail/get abducted by aliens or whatever because they were so awesome.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I don't mind not having many riding friends but I do mind not having any track day friends. The only friends I used to go with got the racing bug and spend ALL of their time and money on racing these days which is not my bag. I'm not a big self motivator but if someone else showed interest I'd likely go more especially considering Auto Club Speedway is only two hours away.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Man, my wife is 4'10.5" and she won't even get on the back.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

captainOrbital posted:

Man, my wife is 4'10.5" and she won't even get on the back.

Just pick her up and plop her on the pillion seat, she won't be able to get back down on her own

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I know you can put lowering links on a Ninjette, although as a tall guy I don't see how one could get any shorter.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

This is a pretty good list of bikes for shorter people: http://www.nebcom.com/noemi/moto/sbl.sbl.html

Safety Dance posted:

I know you can put lowering links on a Ninjette, although as a tall guy I don't see how one could get any shorter.

FWIW my ninjette came lowered, and only when I returned it to stock height did I realize how lovely it handled before because the geometry was way out of whack. If you're lowering the back, lower the forks as well.

E: pull the forks up I mean. Though now that I think about it, I don't even know if you can do that on the ninjette.

M42 fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 1, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I'll have you know that this was exactly one of the reasons given by BT commentators for MotoGP riders using "the Doctor's dangle" waving their inside leg off the peg when approaching a turn.

MotoGP commentators all suck poo poo and are hilariously ignorant. Bar none.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Frosty- posted:

I found I had better success convincing guys to go along with this when I signed them up and paid in advance. This is how bad I wanted bike buddies.

Hahahahaha, I though I was the only one that did this, I bought two friends back home, and one friend's girlfriend, MSF courses. One of them is showing a lot of interest, got her to play around on my SV-650 (until she dumped it in a parking lot at like ~3MPH), but literally has no time to take the course right now. The other guy has expressed a lot of interest in motorcycles, BOUGHT a motorcycle a few years back, then had to sell it, and he has my drat SV parked in his garage, completely free for him to use 11 months out of the year, still too lazy to get his license. Blargh.

I had a number of friends who road when I lived in NY, and I was actually more introduced into their ranks, and I'm glad for it, it helps a ton to have a couple friends out with you the first couple rides to point out hazards (such as mailboxes) and show you the ropes. Although they did take me on a ridiculously curvy lake road, covered in deer, at night for my first ride so... All the guys I rode with were ATGATT, responsible etc. except for one dude who was a poo poo rider, 60MPH through a street that had children literally chasing balls out into it? sure, why not? One time I was talking to him about riding on a snowboarding trip, and he was talking about how he'd really like to trade in his R6 for a Ducati 1199 (he'd been riding for a year) then he let out this gem "Yeah, I'm still too afraid to touch the front brake above 100MPH!"

Yeah, because god knows the one time you don't want all available braking power is when you're going ridiculously fast :downsbravo:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Elviscat posted:

Hahahahaha, I though I was the only one that did this, I bought two friends back home, and one friend's girlfriend, MSF courses. One of them is showing a lot of interest, got her to play around on my SV-650 (until she dumped it in a parking lot at like ~3MPH), but literally has no time to take the course right now. The other guy has expressed a lot of interest in motorcycles, BOUGHT a motorcycle a few years back, then had to sell it, and he has my drat SV parked in his garage, completely free for him to use 11 months out of the year, still too lazy to get his license. Blargh.

I had a number of friends who road when I lived in NY, and I was actually more introduced into their ranks, and I'm glad for it, it helps a ton to have a couple friends out with you the first couple rides to point out hazards (such as mailboxes) and show you the ropes. Although they did take me on a ridiculously curvy lake road, covered in deer, at night for my first ride so... All the guys I rode with were ATGATT, responsible etc. except for one dude who was a poo poo rider, 60MPH through a street that had children literally chasing balls out into it? sure, why not? One time I was talking to him about riding on a snowboarding trip, and he was talking about how he'd really like to trade in his R6 for a Ducati 1199 (he'd been riding for a year) then he let out this gem "Yeah, I'm still too afraid to touch the front brake above 100MPH!"

Yeah, because god knows the one time you don't want all available braking power is when you're going ridiculously fast :downsbravo:

I wanna be friends with a guy who gives his friends SV650s.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Slavvy posted:

MotoGP commentators all suck poo poo and are hilariously ignorant. Bar none.

Have you ever stuck your leg off the side when going at highway speeds? These dudes are doing 220mph, I don't think you can argue that sticking a leg out isn't an airbrake...?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I have. I also read a Stoner interview where he said the reason was to transfer weight to the outside rear peg so he could turn in while braking without having the front come up too much; any 'air brake' effect caused by a dangling limb is pretty much meaningless when the stoppers are strong enough that the bike is already trying to do a forward flip.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
No one said it was the only reason, just one of them. Sure the effect is small, but it exists. Same reason they pop out of the bubble.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Someone who actually rides 200mph-capable bikes on track needs to enlighten me on this. I'm genuinely doubtful that there is any aerodynamic-related reason for doing this but, having never done it myself nor looked into it deeply, I can't discount it entirely.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, sure, there'd be a little bit of air drag and therefore braking going on, but it'd be so insignificant it's not even worth considering. Same with popping out of the bubble - yeah, there's some air braking there, and it's probably a half decent amount, but that's more of a "I want to move my weight back a bit and brace myself/get ready for the turn because I'm decellerating from 300km/h."

Go do it on your bike, get to, even highway speed, then decellerate, first with your body on the tank, then by sitting up, it's FAR easier to do it sitting up. Yeah, might be a 1000th of a second quicker in decelleration sitting up, but it's mostly a comfort and preparation thing. Same with that Rossi leg wave thing, it doesn't actually change anything at all, it's just more comfortable for them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Good to know!

I found popping up out of the bubble on my ZX10 was really difficult and disconcerting above 200-odd km/h and I would brake to below that speed before doing anything drastic anyway, but as stated elsewhere I'm a giant pussy who can't hold on to the bars at high speeds without a fairing to block the wind. I suppose if I had been trying to apply maximum braking as opposed to comfortable deceleration, it would be a different story.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Do what you're saying but instead pop out of the bubble when going a steady speed then check your speed again. It's a difference of at least 5 mph for me holding the throttle in the same spot on a small fairing 250 ninja. This is going like 75 mph and they're doing triple that and drag increases on a square iirc.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

It'd make a difference, but remember they're on 250hp bikes vs a, what, 25hp Ninja 250? A little wind resistance is goign to make a difference for them, but it's not going to be HUGE. Enough to make a difference down a long straight, yeah, probably cost them a second or so, but it wouldn't drop their speed by 50km/h or something.

I know on my 250 i'd drop from about 130km/h to about 125ish, on my 600 though it doesn't even make a difference at that speed.

Popping out at over 200km/h is a bit of a shunt, yeah, but it's not that bad, might be a get used to it thing. I've popped out at 250km/h to brake and I can't say I ever worried about it ripping my hands off. You're hit back a bit by the wind, but at the same time you're that hard on the brakes you're getting pushed forward as well.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Wind resistance doesn't give a poo poo what kind of bike you're riding?

edit: to be clearer we're talking about braking, not when they're on the power. I was just saying to do it at highway speed as an example.

If air resistance wasn't an issue they wouldn't worry about all the poo poo they worry about. Tucking in the fairing, speed humps on the suits, clear plastic helmet add ons, etc etc. These guys are looking for tenths on the best bikes in the world, it all matters.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jun 1, 2014

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

nsaP posted:

Wind resistance doesn't give a poo poo what kind of bike you're riding?

edit: to be clearer we're talking about braking, not when they're on the power. I was just saying to do it at highway speed as an example.

Yeah, I know, I was just saying that at that with more HP you will still have that wind resistance, but it won't bother it as much. What I was getting at was I don't even have to give it more throttle to hold my speed on my 600, on my 250 I had to give it more.

nsaP posted:

If air resistance wasn't an issue they wouldn't worry about all the poo poo they worry about. Tucking in the fairing, speed humps on the suits, clear plastic helmet add ons, etc etc. These guys are looking for tenths on the best bikes in the world, it all matters.

I'm not denying that at all, I'm just saying that it's fairly insignificant at the end of the day compared to having a better engine, better brakes, a good frame and actual talent. In GP that is anyway, in Moto2 it would be a little more important, in Moto3 it's fairly important.

e: More to the original point, hanging your knee out isn't going to slow you down any quicker than keeping it locked in.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
TBH I always assumed a big reason for the leg dangle was to make it that little bit harder to go up the inside of them - they only seem to do it on corners that are good overtaking zones.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Frosty- posted:

He just forgot to put the kickstand down and gently laid his bike on the garage floor. Nobody does that.
My bike has a few dings on the clutch cover and a small chip in the fairing because the PO did exactly this. So it happens.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I think a few of us have done it here at fuel bowsers and the like. I've almost forgotten a few times, usually happens if I pull up and someone talks to me before I do my "ritual" for getting off.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

M42 posted:

FWIW my ninjette came lowered, and only when I returned it to stock height did I realize how lovely it handled before because the geometry was way out of whack. If you're lowering the back, lower the forks as well.

E: pull the forks up I mean. Though now that I think about it, I don't even know if you can do that on the ninjette.
If you wanna get crazy with it, there are places who can cut down and rethread your fork tubes to a custom height. We did that with one of our race bikes.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
Weekly rant ...

Spend almost the whole day in the shop with carburetor that keeps leaking fuel and won't stop. Needle is busted, replacement is not available locally and I have to order it from the US, and here comes the fun part. For a $10 needle I need to pay $45 shipping ...

Guess I have to find someone traveling to the US and have them bring it over ...

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Why so much? Import tax? Couldn't one of us buy it here and send it to you as a gift?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Shimrod posted:

Yeah, I know, I was just saying that at that with more HP you will still have that wind resistance, but it won't bother it as much. What I was getting at was I don't even have to give it more throttle to hold my speed on my 600, on my 250 I had to give it more.

I'm not denying that at all, I'm just saying that it's fairly insignificant at the end of the day compared to having a better engine, better brakes, a good frame and actual talent. In GP that is anyway, in Moto2 it would be a little more important, in Moto3 it's fairly important.

e: More to the original point, hanging your knee out isn't going to slow you down any quicker than keeping it locked in.

I was reading an AMA by Mark Miller and I thought I'd quote him here

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I'm not really sure what you're getting at there, I'm not denying there's wind resistance or that it's important to minimise it, I'm saying that poking your leg out isn't going to act as a 3rd brake or anything. Hell, just look back to the MotoGP race last night, Marquez and Lorenzo weren't even bothering to tuck back behind the windshield unless they were on a somewhat decent length straight, instead they focused on getting setup for the next corner. If it was THAT important (and it is important, I'm not saying it's not) that it'd be a game changer without 100% staying behind the windshield, they'd tuck back down behind it instantly every single time they were going remotely forward.

What I'm saying is it's probably the most insignificant thing to do with their speed, of all the factors.

I've popped up from behind the windshield at 180mph before, I'm not the strongest guy in the world, I could imagine it'd rip you back if you weren't under brakes, but if you're on the brakes it's not that huge a deal because you have that braking force sending you forward and that's stronger than the wind force throwing you back. I'm pretty sure I said that earlier.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I don't think we've disagreed then but you're sure posted a lot of paragraphs about it.

Also if you can catch the BT sport coverage of the race the intro has Rossi saying the wind at the end of the straight is ridic and it takes a lot of work to stay on the bike when you pop out of the bubble. That part we did disagree on.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 2, 2014

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I didn't see that part, but yeah, wouldn't surprise me, considering they're doing 350km/h at that point and slowing down to less than half of that on those Carbon brakes which aparrantly have one hell of a bite. From my experience slowing from 300km/h when you pop out of the bubble it's a shock and you'd probably get thrown off if you didn't have a decent grip, but as long as you're paying attention (and I really hope you would be at that speed) it's not anything to really worry about.

It could also be a bike specific thing, a height specific thing, etc. I'm just talking from my experience.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Bugdrvr posted:

Why so much? Import tax? Couldn't one of us buy it here and send it to you as a gift?

shipping is expensive to Israel from the US, and this is before any taxes (hopefully something as small as a carb needle goes without taxes to begin with). I already sorted it all out. Ordered a new S&S carb and a friend will bring it over in 10 days

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
There's a black and red Benelli TnT 1100 at my local workshop that is apparently up for sale for £3k.

I may have to ask someone to lash me to a mast to keep me away from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There's a black and red Benelli TnT 1100 at my local workshop that is apparently up for sale for £3k.

I may have to ask someone to lash me to a mast to keep me away from it.

Oh, come on. Now you're just being stupid. You have all the Italianness you want in your life trust me.