Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

W.T. Fits posted:

Also, anyone got any tips on how to stagger Centaurs reliably?
I wish. Still stuck on the third-to-last wave of The Final Survival, which is two Centaurs. Anyone? The worst part is that they're identical, so they rush you at the same time until you start to separate them, which is hard because they're both rushing you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

W.T. Fits posted:

Just finished up Chapter 3.

I was surprised that Octa's betrayal was genuine; I was expecting it to be a double-cross, like Three sent him out to lead Zero to her so that she could kill her and experiment on her personally or something. But having him (attempt) to straight up betray his own Intoner feels... strange. Almost kind of sad, really. I mean, I realize these are hosed up people, but it still bothers me more that he betrayed his Intoner than it would have for him to have been leading me into a trap.

Also, anyone got any tips on how to stagger Centaurs reliably?

If you watch Three's DLC the betrayal makes a lot more sense. It's never explained in game though, because Darkengard 3 really likes to hide its plot.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Holy gently caress whoever thought letting spirits possess Imps can go gently caress themselves with a rusty spoon or something. Jesus loving christ, they take so much punishment to force out.

Fetucine
Oct 29, 2011

Artix posted:

Holy gently caress whoever thought letting spirits possess Imps can go gently caress themselves with a rusty spoon or something. Jesus loving christ, they take so much punishment to force out.

Imps are the flying fucks, yeah? I remember they have a pretty telegraphed divebomb attack that's easyish to parry, and parrying automatically ejects a spirit. Or you can go into Intoner mode for a second and then revert, which IIRC forces spirits out of everything around you (maybe just everything hit by the weak AoE that comes with entering intoner mode?).

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

If you watch Three's DLC the betrayal makes a lot more sense. It's never explained in game though, because Darkengard 3 really likes to hide its plot.

Well, I was planning on eventually getting the other sisters' DLC chapters when they're released anyway, so that's something to look forward to.

Though having thought about it some more, something else strikes me as strange. When Dito asked him why he betrayed her back during the chapter itself, Octa flat-out admitted to Zero and the others that it was because Three wasn't putting out enough to satisfy him anymore. But then when they actually confront her, he starts going on about how he was sickened by her constant experimenting on people... and then she calls bullshit on him and says that he probably just did it because she wasn't putting out for him anymore, which gets him all flustered. So... why would he feel the need to lie about it in front of Three when he already confessed to us that it was all about him not getting any tail anymore? I expect the DLC will cover this, but it really sticks out as odd to me.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

Well, I was planning on eventually getting the other sisters' DLC chapters when they're released anyway, so that's something to look forward to.

Though having thought about it some more, something else strikes me as strange. When Dito asked him why he betrayed her back during the chapter itself, Octa flat-out admitted to Zero and the others that it was because Three wasn't putting out enough to satisfy him anymore. But then when they actually confront her, he starts going on about how he was sickened by her constant experimenting on people... and then she calls bullshit on him and says that he probably just did it because she wasn't putting out for him anymore, which gets him all flustered. So... why would he feel the need to lie about it in front of Three when he already confessed to us that it was all about him not getting any tail anymore? I expect the DLC will cover this, but it really sticks out as odd to me.
The way I saw it, Three not satisfying him was the fake reason (or at least not the most important reason), and her bringing it up to counter Octa talking about the experimentation was just Three not understanding people enough that she flat-out couldn't comprehend her disciple being against her experimentation. Of course, I don't remember the scene well enough to remember Octa getting flustered in response to Three's accusation so I could be entirely wrong, but that's the impression I left the chapter with.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
If it wasn't for that thirty second unskippable cutscene before the Branch D Final Boss, i'd be having a much better time. :shepicide:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

klapman posted:

If it wasn't for that thirty second unskippable cutscene before the Branch D Final Boss, i'd be having a much better time. :shepicide:
I'm pretty sure it's yet-another-loving-stealth-loading-screen, the game is so poorly coded.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
...that's really weird, because I can totally skip it. PS3, disk version.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'm pretty sure it's yet-another-loving-stealth-loading-screen, the game is so poorly coded.

It's the intro to the song :shrug:

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Is there a weapon locations guide out yet? I'm at 88% with three weapons left to buy in the shop and I'd rather not have to search every Verse I missed a chest in without knowing if there is actually a weapon there or not.

Story wise, so far I've been kind of disappointed with the levels of crazy, but really surprised by how good the comedy is. I think the metaplot and way the game plays with continuity after Branch A end up making B & C feel really disjointed and stunted - I'd prefer either radically different endings like Drakengard 1, or a recontextualization of the plot like what Nier did. I've heard Branch D is by far the most important Branch, so its totally possible it'll end up justifying everything.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

I expect the DLC will cover this, but it really sticks out as odd to me.

Yeah he indicates there that he's absolutely horrified by what she's doing and that leads into the game.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

straight jerkers posted:

It's the intro to the song :shrug:
Sure, but the intro didn't have to be so long :saddowns:

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

Book Club : Sanctity. I need help. I always end up with 8 book at the end of the timer, and a fuckton of unkilled enemies.
Gimme your protips because this is the only thing between me and Route D.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Sir Gladu posted:

Book Club : Sanctity. I need help. I always end up with 8 book at the end of the timer, and a fuckton of unkilled enemies.
Gimme your protips because this is the only thing between me and Route D.

You know it doesn't give a weapon, right?

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

alcharagia posted:

You know it doesn't give a weapon, right?

Huh? A couple of sites are saying that it drops the chakram Imperial Coffin.
But I guess I'll finish buying those weapons, and see if it unlocks.

E: FINALLY FINISHED. And yes it dropped the final chakram. Route D here I go.

Sir Gladu fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 2, 2014

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Cthulhuchan posted:

...that's really weird, because I can totally skip it. PS3, disk version.

I've got the same, disk and PS3. I can skip the actual for real cutscene, but the windup where Zero comes out of the flower takes ages and completely throws me off whatever rhythm I managed to get into.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
It's a real shame the boss is such a pain in the rear end. It's really a neat fight visually and the song is nice.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Sir Gladu posted:

Huh? A couple of sites are saying that it drops the chakram Imperial Coffin.
But I guess I'll finish buying those weapons, and see if it unlocks.

Oh, wait. Sorry. I was thinking of Book Club: Sincerity. :downs:

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

alcharagia posted:

Oh, wait. Sorry. I was thinking of Book Club: Sincerity. :downs:

Aha, those missions names get confusing I guess.
If anyone reads this and also have difficulty with that mission, heres what I did:
-Use a sword for the cerberus (I used bloodletter). You want to hit bombbearers while you're hammering the dog to kill him asap.
-Use bloodmode as soon as it's available, except if there's no one around.
-Stick to the statue! Getting lost in the mist is the worst thing to do. Hit bombbearers, shift, combo until you hit another bombearers, while circling the statue.
-If you see a lancer or a big undead, focus, they seems to be the ones with the gems.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Pesky Splinter posted:

Some blog somewhere has listed some line notes and actual lyrics to some of the songs.

They are:

Five - Out Come the Crawlers
Pure and strong are these white claws.
Dark and weak are these black teeth.
It’s said someday the flower shall bloom eternally.
Tall, strong, and blue, it is summoned.
Hot and freezing is the voice of the wind.
Someday the flower shall be destroyed, and it shall be now.

Four - Arrival of the Guards
I must always kill my wondering heart.
For I shall disappear in time.
These nails blush.
No one can see, now in the depths of darkness.
There are no smiles here.
I’m crying all alone.

Three - Raid of Redemption
Sleep. I shall give thee death.
Sleep. I shall give thee disaster.
Sleep. I shall give thee death.
Those low-lifes who went along with the sacrifice shall be cursed.
Suffer. I shall give thee thy punishment.
Suffer. There shall be no forgiveness.
Suffer. I shall give thee thy punishment.
The sweet scent of death is near.

Two - Celebratory Dance
The wandering life even howls at this moment.
I can see petals sinking in the distance.
They seem to dance with the shadows as they fall.
The maiden’s song persists through the darkness.
Lost words shall always disappear.
Shadows of light dance, a sickness from the darkness is near.

One - Anthem of Camaraderie
When dizziness overcomes me, I transcend time.
Drenched in lies, I falsely perceive my memories.
You, blood, death, and madness,
Shall become my life.
Reason, pain, the world, and sight,
Shall someday know my significance.

Finally! I've been waiting to see some lyrics for the themes. I'm assuming the lyrics of the "boss" versions of the songs (with the guitars or electronic stuff) are the same lyrics.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So are all the alternate ending branches as short as B? I was kinda surprised when the credits rolled, and looking at the trophy list, I still have four boss trophies to get (as of Branch C, Verse 4), so if they all play out the way the B branch did, that's gonna be a lot of boss fights in not a lot of game.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

C is short, D is longer.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Branches B and C are basically equivalent to a single chapter. D is one-and-a-half to two chapters long.

ComicsandSlushies
Feb 22, 2013
I might have missed this earlier in the thread but does anyone know if someone has posted a playthrough of the English version of the game?(I can only find the Japanese version) There's no way I can afford to buy the game so watching someone else play it is close enough.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Does anyone have a good image of the Censored Image during the cut scene after beating Five? Trying to find an English one but I'm only finding the Japanese one.

FRACTURED ASS
Oct 27, 2010

Here you go. Early game spoilers, I guess.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Check it out the prologue DLC came out today. Get all six for 30$.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Squallege posted:

Check it out the prologue DLC came out today. Get all six for 30$.
WHAT A BARGAIN!

Not buyin' it, nope.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah I like the game but this is the kind of DLC that's born to be on sale for $10 every time there's a major promotion.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Please don't give Square-Enix 30 bucks for this bad game, thanks in advance.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Beef Waifu posted:

Gonna buy that right now, aww yeah.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Beef Waifu posted:

Sure some(most) of it's going to Square-Enix but think of it as offering tribute to the Dark Lord Yoko Taro

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

So, which DLC would you get, if you had 7$ PSN Credit left? Is there a definitive better one of the bunch?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
You'd think Three would use thosse blades strapped to her thighs but nope! Scissor shanking is the order of the day.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Would have to depend on if they still retain the helium.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Bahahahahaha holy gently caress, buying the Furiae costume gives you the dagger she used to kill herself. That's amazing.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Archenteron posted:

Sure some(most) of it's going to Square-Enix but think of it as offering tribute to the Dark Lord Yoko Taro

Yoko Taro was removed from Square-Enix's offices the second the game shipped to stores. You can be he is not seeing a yen/cent of that money.

Hymirvetr posted:

So, which DLC would you get, if you had 7$ PSN Credit left? Is there a definitive better one of the bunch?

One and Two's are the only ones that actually affect the story in any meaningful way/have character development.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Gabriella is the best thing about the DLC. Sassy dragon telling Four she's full of poo poo, I love it.

EDIT: Also Four's DLC is actually really fun because her fighting style is BRUTAL. Was this Bracer moveset on any of Zero's weapons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

jonjonaug posted:

Gabriella is the best thing about the DLC. Sassy dragon telling Four she's full of poo poo, I love it.

EDIT: Also Four's DLC is actually really fun because her fighting style is BRUTAL. Was this Bracer moveset on any of Zero's weapons?

I think it's the Heavy moveset, but none of Z's charged this goddamn fast.

• Locked thread