Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Reiley posted:

I dunno man, it's sort of gross to feel like no one has the patience to learn simple things like "hit this button on a jump to go faster" or "drift around turns" without a playthrough tutorial to pause before a turn and prompt you to hit ZR, with a big picture of the button you have to press, for something as simple as a Nintendo go-kart game. Do people learn things by exploring them anymore or do they expect to know everything before they put their feet in the water?

That's not what was suggested at all though. You're deliberately overexaggerating what you're arguing against, probably because "no they shouldn't have a list of what the buttons, items, and so on do in-game" sounds really stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Roland Jones posted:

That's not what was suggested at all though. You're deliberately overexaggerating what you're arguing against, probably because "no they shouldn't have a list of what the buttons, items, and so on do in-game" sounds really stupid.

They have that list. It's in the manual. :psyduck:

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Reiley posted:

I dunno man, it's sort of gross to feel like no one has the patience to learn simple things like "hit this button on a jump to go faster" or "drift around turns" without a playthrough tutorial to pause before a turn and prompt you to hit ZR, with a big picture of the button you have to press, for something as simple as a Nintendo go-kart game.

That's not even remotely what I was suggesting. Nothing even approaching that was ever suggested at any point in this discussion. For reference:

Rocketlex posted:

Exactly! It takes ten seconds to explain! A little ten-second video you could drill down to from the main menu. Entirely for people who, I stress, have not played a Mario Kart game before and might not be aware of these mechanics.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

PerrineClostermann posted:

They have that list. It's in the manual. :psyduck:

I'm seriously surprised there is a list at all in the insert. I'm too used to games simply not having manuals in cases anymore.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

People can ask questions on Miiverse if they need help and don't know how to read a manual.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Reiley posted:

I dunno man, it's sort of gross to feel like no one has the patience to learn simple things like "hit this button on a jump to go faster" or "drift around turns" without a playthrough tutorial to pause before a turn and prompt you to hit ZR, with a big picture of the button you have to press, for something as simple as a Nintendo go-kart game. Do people learn things by exploring them anymore or do they expect to know everything before they put their feet in the water?
Some people prefer to learn by exploring, some people prefer to know everything, it's a loving video game.

Like I had a laugh at the guy too but chill out. 'Gross?' Come on dude, it's a children's toy. It's one thing if the tutorial's forced, but an optional tutorial hurts no one, no matter how dumbed down and simple it is.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
This is Mario Kart and ya'll are acting like it should be Dark Souls.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Endorph posted:

Some people prefer to learn by exploring, some people prefer to know everything, it's a loving video game.

Like I had a laugh at the guy too but chill out. 'Gross?' Come on dude, it's a children's toy. It's one thing if the tutorial's forced, but an optional tutorial hurts no one, no matter how dumbed down and simple it is.

You're right, I got carried away. Sorry thread. :shobon:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Guys this game doesn't tell you anything about how to play

Also, just got error code 160-0105 right after a multiplayer match. Turns out the Wii U defaults to saving data to external drives if they're attached (I was unaware). I'd just plugged one in to get my free game on Friday, and MK8 started saving to the external. 160-0105 means "We decided to delete everything on your external drive, have fun!"

Go go Nintendo.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Calaveron posted:

So why does the AI get a much longer starting line boost than I?
And am I the only one who has developed a death grip on the controller while playing this game? My muscles all the way up to my shoulders ache like hell from playing this.

I woke up and my thumbs and pointer fingers have bruises.

This has never happened before so I'm just kind of laughing it off but still.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

While I didn't miss the lack of a tutorial, it would be nice if the game or the instruction booklet explained the difference between Traction and Handling.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Sarchasm posted:

While I didn't miss the lack of a tutorial, it would be nice if the game or the instruction booklet explained the difference between Traction and Handling.

You're supposed to have the patience to explore that yourself or whatever, or ask the Miiverse

EDIT: Real answer I believe traction affects your off-roading ability, at least according to the handful of sites I stumbled onto. Handling is still just turning.

DOUBLE EDIT: Traction might also affect how much you slide as you turn or drift, handling just being how tight the turn itself is.

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 1, 2014

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Why is the item balance in this game complete poo poo? In last place, I've gotten nothing but Mushrooms and Coins. Not exactly useful for making a comeback.

I hate hate hate the coins. Yes, make them give a speed boost. That's what the people in the lead need - a larger boost. The people who need it, the ones in the back, can't ever get them because the people ahead of them do. And with the items coming up nothing but stinkers, that makes catching up incredibly hard.

For as pretty as the game is, I'm not having any fun at all with it.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I'm playing in the Goonmunity right now since online play with randoms is being rather problematic right now.

Join up!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3638782

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I joined the private goon tournament but I wish that there was some kind of indicator of how many people were currently connected and playing because I've connected a couple of times and only one other person was there.

I guess it's not actually an instance but just narrows down the matchmaking service to JUST those users and ruleset? Because I read the thread and everyone's like "wow what a great large race we just had" and meanwhile I'm seeing two people on other than me.

I guess I'm confused as to how a tournament functions. The most I've been able to race against there was 4 other people.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I joined the private goon tournament but I wish that there was some kind of indicator of how many people were currently connected and playing because I've connected a couple of times and only one other person was there.

I guess it's not actually an instance but just narrows down the matchmaking service to JUST those users and ruleset? Because I read the thread and everyone's like "wow what a great large race we just had" and meanwhile I'm seeing two people on other than me.

I agree, I sort of wished it would go to Spectate and try to fill up a room rather then split people up. It makes sense for the large amount of people in Global Races, but it sucks for tournaments that don't have hordes of people playing.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

I guess I'm confused as to how a tournament functions. The most I've been able to race against there was 4 other people.

It's gotta group people up, I'm in a group of 6 right now, and there's apparently also a group of 10 going. I guess if one "group" fills up it starts a second one or something.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I held the title of second to last place on almost every Goon Race I participated in. I did get second place though near the end. Worth it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Got a streak of fifths and sixth places just now and I think I just realized what was off with the game and why I love it now: the randomness is unfair and random.
If a pack of people just passed over me before the item boxes i'd feel good, I was gonna get a power item for sure, but as we know you can easily get bananas, or a mushroom as the person in front gets triple mushrooms. In first you might get a barrage of poo poo or you could be living easy and have a horn ready and it's honestly impossible to predict which it'll be, unlike previous games where the former is way more likely.
The only consistent thing in the game is the user's own skill. You want to be able to catch up? you better actually play good and maybe, just maybe, you'll get small help in the items.

SpeedRazor
Feb 5, 2005
I'll be streaming from one of the tournament rooms for a while if you want to watch goons hitting each other with shells badly!

Room ended, switched to worldwide

SpeedRazor fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 1, 2014

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Got a streak of fifths and sixth places just now and I think I just realized what was off with the game and why I love it now: the randomness is unfair and random.
If a pack of people just passed over me before the item boxes i'd feel good, I was gonna get a power item for sure, but as we know you can easily get bananas, or a mushroom as the person in front gets triple mushrooms. In first you might get a barrage of poo poo or you could be living easy and have a horn ready and it's honestly impossible to predict which it'll be, unlike previous games where the former is way more likely.
The only consistent thing in the game is the user's own skill. You want to be able to catch up? you better actually play good and maybe, just maybe, you'll get small help in the items.

:xcom:
Being good at time trial and good at grand prix or multiplayer are definitely different beasts. They have the same core skills -- drive fast, drive well -- but time trial's about perfection while playing with other people on the track is about recovery from the unexpected. Get rammed twice off the track and then nailed by a shell when you get back? Suck it up and get back to driving.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I uploaded a highlight reel of a goonrace and noticed that it automatically tags the video with the community code, so might want to keep an eye on that if you're uploading from private communities.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There's gotta be a way to change characters after a race in tournament mode. Every time I have to go back out and in there's no one when I get back.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Squallege posted:

There's gotta be a way to change characters after a race in tournament mode. Every time I have to go back out and in there's no one when I get back.

The real question is why you would want to ever be Not Waluigi?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

deadwing posted:

The real question is why you would want to ever be Not Waluigi?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

ChibiSoma posted:

Why is the item balance in this game complete poo poo? In last place, I've gotten nothing but Mushrooms and Coins. Not exactly useful for making a comeback.

I hate hate hate the coins. Yes, make them give a speed boost. That's what the people in the lead need - a larger boost. The people who need it, the ones in the back, can't ever get them because the people ahead of them do. And with the items coming up nothing but stinkers, that makes catching up incredibly hard.

For as pretty as the game is, I'm not having any fun at all with it.

Being in 10th place and getting triple bananna's while watching a person in 4th get a star.

It's weird but I think the balance was better in 7. People complained about the blue shell so hard that Nintendo finally put the advantage in the front of the pack rather than the middle. It doesn't work out that well 1st and 2nd basically become a coin fuelled time trial while 3rd gets the bulk of the red shells.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Confirming coin items are bullshit. You may as well not have picked up an item.

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.
Yeah, chiming in to say that the item balance feels really drat weird. There's no reason why I should be getting those giant rear end grab-bag packs in 2nd place while the 12th place guy gets single mushroom boosts. The guy in 12th place, in my opinion, should always get something that feels strong. I would almost prefer to play with them off.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Confirming coin items are bullshit. You may as well not have picked up an item.

I have no idea why they even put it in there. There are coins everywhere, why would you need one from a box.

Also, since I don't want my first post in here to be nothing but whining- this game is really really good, and the few complaints I have aren't really worth going into.

edit: I've only been able to play for a couple hours, but I haven't really been bothered by the item balance. Maybe once I put in some more time with it that will change.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 1, 2014

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

After getting some solid online play tonight and contrasting it with my experience last night playing local multi primarily with Frantic items, I really think that Frantic is better balanced. The current item balance makes it really hard for someone to stage anything approaching a comeback.

I'm complaining about a Mario Kart game not having enough random bullshit items.

What a time to be alive.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The biggest problem with the Coin is that you get it. All. The. Time. when you're not at the rear of the pack. And when you're in the rear, you can still end up getting a loving single banana or something stupid. And second place can get a Crazy 8. I really don't understand it.

I'm usually a proponent of items in Mario Kart, but at this point I wish I could set it up so only Mushrooms, Bananas, and Stars exist.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

After working on 3 Star 150cc cups for the last hour or two, I agree that the item grants for the single player is pretty loving ridiculous.

Like the whole thing. Trying to decrease the presence of Blue Shells is a nice idea but when you also remove item defense, introduce an item that is basically useless and make it the most common item in the game, increase the presence of Lightning and MASSIVELY increase the amount of Red Shell grants, what is even the point?

It sucks how they have implemented the coin because I like the idea on paper and would love it as a 1st place uncommon item but holy poo poo whoever decided to make it as common and as available as it is needs a stern talking to.

Crawfish fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 1, 2014

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'm alright with the item balance. I'm actually really pleased with it. While I agree that you do tend to get them a little too frequently, I think a lot of you are grossly underestimating how important it is to be rolling at 10 coins for as much uptime as possible. I kind of appreciate the free two coins that I don't need to break my driving line for.

There are also some subtle balances made to alleviate the lesser chance of a worthwhile item, for example, drafting is much easier/faster now, and red shells can lose their track on you and pass you by. It's happening to me a lot.

Yeah, the idea of getting coins out of an item box when you're struggling in the back sucks, but it's a drat slot machine you dinguses. Not every one's a winner.

Just remember, if it weren't for coins being an option out of the item boxes, then you'd have 12 people riding the track with red shells, blue shells, bullet bills, fireballs, basically what I'm trying to say is coins are keeping my gamepad from flying out the window.

enojy fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 1, 2014

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Crawfish posted:

After working on 3 Star 150cc cups for the last hour or two, I agree that the item grants for the single player is pretty loving ridiculous.

It sucks how they have implemented the coin because I like the idea on paper and would love it as a 1st place uncommon item but holy poo poo whoever decided to make it as common and as available as it is needs a stern talking to.

I don't agree with this. A first place player should be vulnerable. He typically has only has one player attacking him with one item (red shells) and one, now extremely rare, item that targets only him. Compare this to someone in the middle of the pack who is literally being hosed up by everything. Banana peels from the first few players, fire flowers from the back and front, boomerangs cutting through swaths of players, it's really tough to be in the middle.

Even with the coin, this Mario Kart is easily the easiest to hold onto a first place position. The trick is, as soon as you get an item you can drag behind you, drag that motherfucker for as long as you can. Don't go dropping it right before the next set of item blocks. You'll get a coin, and the guy behind you will get a red shell. The rate that the coin appears isn't a problem, the fact that you can game the system by just holding onto an item is. Three times today in the Goon Room I was in second place against a racer using a kart with a higher top speed than mine. I'd go over an item box and get a loving Bob-Omb. A Bob-Omb that I had no chance in hell of using to close the gap between me and the first player that was way further ahead than me. All I could do is drop it behind me and just clear my distance from The Pack.

Personally, I feel that's a problem. I'm the kind of guy who thinks that in a Mario Kart game, the most skilled player in the room should be winning, at most, 50% of the time. The other 11 players should have a shot through a lucky combination of items. Right now, it feels like the most skilled player in a match has a much higher chance than that to win. It also seems that top speed is way superior to the other stats with the extremely low chance of you getting pegged with a Blue Shell up in front. There's no reason to worry about acceleration when nothing's hitting you.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

deadwing posted:

Right now, it feels like the most skilled player in a match has a much higher chance than that to win. It also seems that top speed is way superior to the other stats with the extremely low chance of you getting pegged with a Blue Shell up in front. There's no reason to worry about acceleration when nothing's hitting you.

I'm calling it right now that the online for this game will hit peak with Heavyweight + Bike like in Mario Kart Wii. I mean I know Nintendo said bikes and karts are more balanced but the item balance favours the sharp and quick turning bike far more.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
Anyone else getting error 118-0516 trying to play online, or know how to resolve it?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
By the way, this just happened today while playing with my friend.

It's definitely Mario Kart, alright.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

deadwing posted:

I don't agree with this. A first place player should be vulnerable. He typically has only has one player attacking him with one item (red shells) and one, now extremely rare, item that targets only him. Compare this to someone in the middle of the pack who is literally being hosed up by everything. Banana peels from the first few players, fire flowers from the back and front, boomerangs cutting through swaths of players, it's really tough to be in the middle.

Even with the coin, this Mario Kart is easily the easiest to hold onto a first place position. The trick is, as soon as you get an item you can drag behind you, drag that motherfucker for as long as you can. Don't go dropping it right before the next set of item blocks. You'll get a coin, and the guy behind you will get a red shell. The rate that the coin appears isn't a problem, the fact that you can game the system by just holding onto an item is. Three times today in the Goon Room I was in second place against a racer using a kart with a higher top speed than mine. I'd go over an item box and get a loving Bob-Omb. A Bob-Omb that I had no chance in hell of using to close the gap between me and the first player that was way further ahead than me. All I could do is drop it behind me and just clear my distance from The Pack.

Personally, I feel that's a problem. I'm the kind of guy who thinks that in a Mario Kart game, the most skilled player in the room should be winning, at most, 50% of the time. The other 11 players should have a shot through a lucky combination of items. Right now, it feels like the most skilled player in a match has a much higher chance than that to win. It also seems that top speed is way superior to the other stats with the extremely low chance of you getting pegged with a Blue Shell up in front. There's no reason to worry about acceleration when nothing's hitting you.

What was your name in the Goon Tournament?

Dude...that's nothing. In the Goon Tournament games I've gone from first to 10th with about six hits in a row.

Goons are relentless motherfuckers. They don't care if you've had a bad stretch - they'll make sure they get theirs.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Best part at the end where Wario gets a blue shell.

The cycle continues....wa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Kirios posted:

What was your name in the Goon Tournament?

Royal, and I was definitely the guy behind you, the skilled player. :v:

Props to you, you are very good at the game. I was really feeling the burn though when you were able to take off right from the starting line at a faster speed than me, and pick up every single coin in front of me due to us following nearly identical drift lines.

• Locked thread