Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

FrozenVent posted:

Tumblrites have this thing where "It's not my job to educate you!", and they figure they've done their job if they just scream "OFFENSIVE!"

It comes from the same place as "slacktivism", so long as they've "raised awareness" of a problem they've done their part. Someone else can deal with actually fixing the problem, now that they've done the hard work of making people aware there was a problem in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I wonder what her reaction's going to be when the person inevitably rolls their eyes and throws away the card.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Strudel Man posted:

I wonder what her reaction's going to be when the person inevitably rolls their eyes and throws away the card.

This is someone who's so terrified of confronting people that they've printed out cards to hand out to people.

Do you really think they're going to actually do it? Well maybe they'll leave the card behind in the most passive-aggressive way they can manage.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

FrozenVent posted:

This is someone who's so terrified of confronting people that they've printed out cards to hand out to people.

Do you really think they're going to actually do it? Well maybe they'll leave the card behind in the most passive-aggressive way they can manage.

They'll sneak it into someone's locker or maybe put it on their desk somewhere they think they'll notice, and then hide around a corner to see if the person falls to their knees weeping when they realize they've offended someone.

When that doesn't happen, they'll flee to Tumblr and post ranting about how oppressed they are and how terrible (group they don't like) is.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

FrozenVent posted:

Fair point. I don't know what I was thinking.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

FrozenVent posted:

Tumblrites have this thing where "It's not my job to educate you!", and they figure they've done their job if they just scream "OFFENSIVE!"

It's kind of like slactivism, only more confrontational.

Truthfully, I spent more time being annoyed by her nails than anything else. I'm not like, big on manicures or anything, and I get that glitter polish is a pain to remove, but hell, if you're going to photograph your fingers, at least touch that poo poo up or take it off altogether.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

FrozenVent posted:

yeah like it started as the perfectly reasonable "you can't really expect Every Single Member Of A Given Minority to exist solely to educate you on Minority-Related Issues," which is relevant in situations where it's like "oh hey you're [black/gay/whatever] so tell me what it's like to be [whatever]", but then since people have no understanding of context this has suddenly become "it is never, ever, ANY minority person's place to educate ANYONE EVER AND YOU'RE A BIGOT FOR EXPECTING ME TO" which is... no

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Truthfully, I spent more time being annoyed by her nails than anything else. I'm not like, big on manicures or anything, and I get that glitter polish is a pain to remove, but hell, if you're going to photograph your fingers, at least touch that poo poo up or take it off altogether.

Please don't lunula-shame.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

InediblePenguin posted:

yeah like it started as the perfectly reasonable "you can't really expect Every Single Member Of A Given Minority to exist solely to educate you on Minority-Related Issues," which is relevant in situations where it's like "oh hey you're [black/gay/whatever] so tell me what it's like to be [whatever]", but then since people have no understanding of context this has suddenly become "it is never, ever, ANY minority person's place to educate ANYONE EVER AND YOU'RE A BIGOT FOR EXPECTING ME TO" which is... no

I just want to say thank you for this post. Because I've seen the tumblr version of it but never the original intent. So I just rolled my eyes and moved on without giving it any real thought because yelling at someone for wanting a simple explanation on things is just stupid.

Junius
May 14, 2006

Thank you, entertainment committee.
I see no space for writing in the offensive word/phrase/concept/etc. if they are indeed planning on handing them out in any situation that isn't "midst of conversation after the bomb has been dropped", what are they hoping to achieve?

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde

Junius posted:

I see no space for writing in the offensive word/phrase/concept/etc. if they are indeed planning on handing them out in any situation that isn't "midst of conversation after the bomb has been dropped", what are they hoping to achieve?

Self-reaffirming passive aggression.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

FrozenVent posted:

Let's not give Tumblr all the credit. I'm pretty sure Twitter slacktivist Suey Park actually said this to a Huffington Post reporter in her disastrous interview with them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Wait, I'm experienced in Tumblr Bullshit, and even I don't know what 'heterosexism' is. Surely it can't be discriminating against straight people, not from this lot, right?

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

No, it's sort of like homophobia. The difference is just that homophobia is supposed to mean fear of homosexuality, but heterosexism is a more general bias against it and doesn't imply any specific emotional responses.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Laocius posted:

No, it's sort of like homophobia. The difference is just that homophobia is supposed to mean fear of homosexuality, but heterosexism is a more general bias against it and doesn't imply any specific emotional responses.

That's... legitimately reasonable.

:wtc:

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
The whole "not my job to educate you" concept is especially relevant in the digital age where, like the card states, you can Google stuff really easily (if you have access to the internet). Just putting the onus of ending oppression more on the oppressors learning to recognize their harmful behaviors and putting forth the effort to educate themselves. It's a good thing.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

RareAcumen posted:

I just want to say thank you for this post. Because I've seen the tumblr version of it but never the original intent. So I just rolled my eyes and moved on without giving it any real thought because yelling at someone for wanting a simple explanation on things is just stupid.

I'd also imagine that part of the original intent is also due to assholes using "please explain this to me" in bad faith as a method of derailing a conversation and wasting everyone's time since the rear end in a top hat in question has no intention of actually listening to what you say. The fact it can be used to dodge actually approaching the subject in a constructive manner makes it a gold mine for Tumblr people. There's enough bad faith for everyone!

Also does sheepishly handing over/hiding a card really count as a call-out? I say it ain't a call-out unless you got people around to go AWWWWW poo poo.

Cleretic posted:

Wait, I'm experienced in Tumblr Bullshit, and even I don't know what 'heterosexism' is. Surely it can't be discriminating against straight people, not from this lot, right?

I googled it and it apparently is a word for anti-gay bigotry. I've never heard it before either.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Junius posted:

The card basically seems to come down to "You said something that offended someone in last day or so. Google the word "racism" and see if you can figure out what."

Also, when you try to Google racism this happens, so they may not get the result they're hoping for:

Junius
May 14, 2006

Thank you, entertainment committee.

Knormal posted:

The card basically seems to come down to "You said something that offended someone in last day or so. Google the word "racism" and see if you can figure out what."

I get that the burden of education should be on the offender, but having little to no idea what you said/did that was offensive isn't going to make the journey to self-improvement any easier.

Then again, this isn't the 'Well Thought Out Plans on Social Media' thread.

For content, I can't get a screenshot right now, but a friend's partner just posted a picture of a "rigorously tested scientific pain scale" on Facebook that placed the daily pain of fibromyalgia as just below 'Childbirth (without training/experience)' but above 'Childbirth (with training/experience)'. I'm not even going to touch the issue of the legitimacy of fibromyalgia (let alone hers), but I'm pretty sure pain scales are bollocks, no matter how "scientifically tested" they are (and, even if they weren't, I'd have a few bones to pick about comparing it to the pain of childbirth).

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Lazy_Liberal posted:

The whole "not my job to educate you" concept is especially relevant in the digital age where, like the card states, you can Google stuff really easily (if you have access to the internet). Just putting the onus of ending oppression more on the oppressors learning to recognize their harmful behaviors and putting forth the effort to educate themselves. It's a good thing.

It really is not a good thing. If someone calls me out that a thing is bad, and refuses to explain in any way how its bad, I'm probably not going to be able to successfully google it, given that almost everything in those realms is going to lead me to something that reaffirms the bad. The racism google above is a good example, but another good one is 'tranny'. I never realized this word was a problem until relatively recently, and if some kind goon hadn't actually explained it I probably would have never managed to figure it out since googling tranny is most certainly not going to give you why its offensive.

You have to have a certain basic understanding of these things before you can do the research to actually get it, and the 'It's not my job to educate you' people refuse to even give you that starting point to figure out why you were wrong. Without that starting point, most people are going to react with a 'What an oversensitive little bitch' and forget the whole incident.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Bit of a derail of the derail but I remember being greatly amused when in a debate thread I saw someone express a sincere desire to learn about Libertarianism and cue a bunch of smug fuckers coming in and saying variations of 'A=A now go out and find the rest out yourself'

Yeah I can see why that group hasn't won any major elections. All you're doing is confusing an irritating the audience you're trying to reach. They're not going to go on some journey of self discovery just because you gave them some unhelpful tidbit. Either stand up and explain things or shut up (if you actually want something to change).

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Laocius posted:

Homophobia never meant the fear of the gays, though. It's a bad word coined by someone who is bad at language, but everybody knows what it means. There's really no need for another word that means the same thing; the only people who argue about the meaning of the word homophobia are contrarians who'd find something stupid to say about any synonymous term.

See also: "I'm against feminism because I'm an :smuggo: egalitarian *is really a misogynist prick*"

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

"Heterosexism" also doesn't fit the pattern of the established -isms (sexism is not called maleism, racism is not called whiteism) and is really long and clunky. Even if you want a word to replace homophobia, "heterosexism" is a really dumb and awkward choice.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Lottery of Babylon posted:

racism is not called whiteism

Probably because racism is not confined to white people hating non-whites. That just happens the be the one that is a major issue in the western world, since its coupled with whites having the majority of the power.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

"Sexual orientationism" would be kind of a mouthful.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Excellent username/post combo here.

Laocius posted:

"Sexual orientationism" would be kind of a mouthful.
I think the proper term is "heterocentricism" which is more immediately understandable than "heterosexism" but just as big a word.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Let's name it "Barney".

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

angelfisher posted:

Someone I know who's a bit of a nutter put this on her Facebook. "DO NOT PLAY 20 QUESTIONS WITH ME" is kind of strange since if you're going around wanting to educate people about issues, why wouldn't you accept questions coming from the supposed "oppressors"?

Gonna make some of these but change every search term to Ron Paul

you may die
Dec 15, 2013

Segmentation Fault posted:

Excellent username/post combo here.

I think the proper term is "heterocentricism" which is more immediately understandable than "heterosexism" but just as big a word.

The one that's actually used though is "heteronormativity," which basically refers to words/actions guided by the assumption that everyone should be (or should want to be) in a monogamous heterosexual relationship. It's more passive while homophobia is active and directed specifically at homosexual people.

Also, with regard to it not being anyone's responsibility to educate, I think that's important because a classic way of arguing with people is to act like you want to have a constructive conversation but really have no intention of learning anything. This goes especially for people who learned most of what they know about activism from the internet because nobody ever wants to learn anything on the internet. So it's one thing when someone says a slur without realizing it, someone else lets them know it's a slur and why and they apologize and move on. It's another thing when someone has already had five people this week ask them why white people can't say the n-word, none of whom actually cared.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

What's this? Why, somebody has left me an anonymous card saying I have done something wrong, but do not deserve to know what. I am definitely motivated to investigate this mature argument further.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Soviet Commubot posted:

Of course, our farm was an exception and our milk was rated as being fit only for being powdered and used as formula for animals. Didn't stop my parents from bringing in a fresh pitcher of raw milk every morning of my childhood! I have no idea how I survived to adulthood.
It's almost as if raw milk was not as poisonous as goons make it out to be

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

To be fair the kid was already living on the farm where the poo poo was, therefore was already getting their immune system exposed to the poo poo that was in the milk. Some overcoddled city kid whose parents think raw milk is superior won't have as robust an immune system to combat the possible pathogens in the milk.

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

I'm another person who I guess, drank raw milk on occasion growing up. Never got sick from it, as far as I can remember. And yes, I did live on a farm. A small one, with 2 jersey cows for milking. It was tasty if it was fresh. Store it in the fridge for a couple of days aaaandd nope. Left with a lifelong aversion to milk that even smells slightly off! I throw milk away long before I need to, as an adult.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

So many new posts!

Oh just some dumb babby sjw derail nothing to see here

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

i think im gonna make a new post with no content in order to complain about there being new posts with no content

:ironicat:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Kajeesus posted:

Homophobia never meant the fear of the gays, though. It's a bad word coined by someone who is bad at language, but everybody knows what it means. There's really no need for another word that means the same thing; the only people who argue about the meaning of the word homophobia are contrarians who'd find something stupid to say about any synonymous term.

Homophobia meaning "fear of the same" works out pretty well with all the anti-gay Congressmen discovered in truck stop bathrooms and such.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Or something about sample sizes, could be either.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Or something about sample sizes, could be either.

Observer bias too - had Commubot died, he'd not be here to retell the anecdote

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

SybilVimes posted:

Observer bias too - had Commubot died, he'd not be here to retell the anecdote

Neither communism nor robots ever truly die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Neither communism nor robots ever truly die.

They never truly live either.

• Locked thread