Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

gay skull posted:

Oh, cool! Wasn't mario kart 7 that way too?

Yes, it also was another Mario Kart worse than DS or Double Dash

(I am totally playing here, people can like the gameplay style that they prefer most. In fact, I actually think 8 controls the best out of games after Double Dash/DS. It's a really solid game.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

gay skull posted:

PS3's wifi is fine, Wii U's wifi is fine, try upgrading to a router built within this millenium

I have a Wireless-AC router and I still hardwire my computers and consoles. WiFi is great, but it'll never beat a wired connection and it isn't weird to prefer one.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Nintendo learned from people complaining about the 360 needing an external WiFi adapter and made sure to put built in WiFi on the Wii U.

They just forgot to include an ethernet port also. :v:

Apparently the Wii ethernet adapter works but it is pretty dumb it didn't at least come with one, and that Nintendo doesn't make one.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Nah ethernet is dumb. I will never ever again run a cable anywhere in m loving house. I don't care if I lose 50ms of lag.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

icantfindaname posted:

Do people really think this QoL stuff is going to be anything other than a gigantic disaster? I just don't see it happening, the market for exercise phone apps is saturated, and what else is there?

Nintendo entered the video game market when home consoles were so saturated that the industry had collapsed, and they did just fine :v:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

gay skull posted:

Oh, cool! Wasn't mario kart 7 that way too?

Yea, after the snaking complaints, they changed the drifting mechanics, now its momentum based. Faster you go into a turn the faster you get the sparks, I think the kart pieces also play a part in that.

I vastly prefer it over the snaking stuff, I'm not gonna get into the whole is cheating or not, but it was obnoxious as hell to deal with in MKDS and pretty much forced everyone to learn how to do it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Drifting is fun, I'll drift for like 15 seconds for no reason sometimes (I'm pretty sure after 3 seconds of drifting it no longer matters, there's just Slight Charge Drift Boost and Big Charge Drift Boost).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Alteisen posted:

Yea, after the snaking complaints, they changed the drifting mechanics, now its momentum based. Faster you go into a turn the faster you get the sparks, I think the kart pieces also play a part in that.

I vastly prefer it over the snaking stuff, I'm not gonna get into the whole is cheating or not, but it was obnoxious as hell to deal with in MKDS and pretty much forced everyone to learn how to do it.

It's like wheelies from MK Wii; in a vacuum it was okay, but when it takes over the entire game it's gotta go.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Quest For Glory II posted:

Drifting is fun, I'll drift for like 15 seconds for no reason sometimes (I'm pretty sure after 3 seconds of drifting it no longer matters, there's just Slight Charge Drift Boost and Big Charge Drift Boost).

I'm sure I can fit in 3 boosts on some turns, but drifting around rainbow road kinda' makes me forget to. It's so drat pretty.

Gothmog
Aug 27, 2003

I'm a mental patient. I'm supposed to act out.
Either MK8 is the game changer for the WiiU or Nintendo's web infrastructure is garbage. I'm gonna pick garbage.

Krakhan
Oct 13, 2005

I see you.

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Nintendo learned from people complaining about the 360 needing an external WiFi adapter and made sure to put built in WiFi on the Wii U.

They just forgot to include an ethernet port also. :v:

Apparently the Wii ethernet adapter works but it is pretty dumb it didn't at least come with one, and that Nintendo doesn't make one.

More or less any USB to Ethernet port adapter should work. I had to use one in an old laptop due to its ethernet port no longer working. When I stopped using it and tried it on my Wii and Wii U, it detected it and used it without any issue.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Doesn't the regular Wii also not have a ethernet port? It's a strange omission and probably only saves a few cents per unit.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
i just used my broadband Ethernet to USB adapter from the Wii on my Wii U.

Problem solved

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I don't remember if it was this thread or the other where people were upset about the "low" sales:

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1 in Video Games (See Top 100 in Video Games)

#1 in Video Games > Wii U > Games

MK8 is doing just fine.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Waltzing Along posted:

I don't remember if it was this thread or the other where people were upset about the "low" sales:

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1 in Video Games (See Top 100 in Video Games)

#1 in Video Games > Wii U > Games

MK8 is doing just fine.

Not that I think it's going to sell poorly but the hourly updated best seller chart isn't really indicative of anything other than it being the most recently released game. It's #20 on the 2014 chart and I can't for the life of me remember how to get to the monthly ones.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
MK8 is a really, really great game- too bad nobody is going to play it. :shrug:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Oh hey, check it out, it fell to number 2 behind a PsN Gift Card on Amazons top sellers.

And the highest selling WiiU SKU is still under the Titanfall Xbone SKU.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

Oh hey, check it out, it fell to number 2 behind a PsN Gift Card on Amazons top sellers.

And the highest selling WiiU SKU is still under the Titanfall Xbone SKU.

Wii U's are not directly sold through Amazon, only through third-party marketplaces, so it's not exactly a great place to judge sales momentum.

zarron
Sep 1, 2005
Question being why is anyone using Amazon list as a confirmation of sales in the first place.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

deadwing posted:

Wii U's are not directly sold through Amazon, only through third-party marketplaces, so it's not exactly a great place to judge sales momentum.
I wonder how Amazon's refusal to sell Nintendo hardware has hurt them, being the largest retailer. I mean you can just buy it somewhere else, but. It must at least deter a few people who ONLY buy from Amazon.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Quest For Glory II posted:

I wonder how Amazon's refusal to sell Nintendo hardware has hurt them, being the largest retailer. I mean you can just buy it somewhere else, but. It must at least deter a few people who ONLY buy from Amazon.

I am one of those people. I ended up buying mine last March for Monster Hunter but I probably would have gotten one at launch even though I wasn't excited for any of the launch games if I could have ordered it from Amazon.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

deadwing posted:

I was called an idiot for asking the same question v:shobon:v

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Why don't we wait for raw numbers on this poo poo? I understand what thread this but still, Mario Kart is a guaranteed seller I feel.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Why don't we wait for raw numbers on this poo poo? I understand what thread this but still, Mario Kart is a guaranteed seller I feel.

Saying "Wii U's best seller" is like saying "disco's greatest hits" or "the nicest Youtube comment." And this is the WiiU-hating thread, which by now has gone over every point again and again and again, so it's just down to "the numbers are low haha" and "this single thing announced won't catapult the system to #1 haha." So people, hungry to get back on the hate-train, look for any numbers or announced items that they can jump on.

Don't worry, when raw numbers are out they too will be used for "the numbers are low haha" posts.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

...of SCIENCE! posted:

[animated gif]

Oh my god this is hilarious. How is this possible? The glare from Luigi looks so angry, he is pissed. This is the funniest thing I have seen all day.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Mario Kart 8's pretty good...gently caress the haters it's probably the best game on the Wii U. :getin:

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
So now that there's a GameCube adapter, when can we expect Call of Duty to be patched to support the DK bongos?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Kirios posted:

Mario Kart 8's pretty good...gently caress the haters it's probably the best game on the Wii U. :getin:

Even without Smash, I can see myself going back to some drunk kart for years. MK is the king of party games.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

The_Frag_Man posted:

Oh my god this is hilarious. How is this possible? The glare from Luigi looks so angry, he is pissed. This is the funniest thing I have seen all day.

Going by this as well as King Dedede and Donkey Kong from the new Smash Bros, I'd say the Wii U is home to the best faces on the current gen market.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

The_Frag_Man posted:

If you want a vision of the future of Nintendo imagine a go-kart getting hit by a blue shell...forever.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

...of SCIENCE! posted:

If you want a vision of the future of Nintendo imagine a go-kart getting hit by a blue shell...forever.

NINTENDO-SIXTY-FOUR. Good book.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

The_Frag_Man posted:

' this loving guy......'

Nintendo games really do have some good charm. I'm not going to deny that MK8 is a legit good game but it doesn't have the biggest wiiu install base to sell copies to. And who knows how much bigger the install base might get.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

Nintendo games really do have some good charm. I'm not going to deny that MK8 is a legit good game but it doesn't have the biggest wiiu install base to sell copies to. And who knows how much bigger the install base might get.

That's the cycle right now. Good games coming out to a small userbase, and each one has the burden of being viewed as "will this save the WiiU." The number of games keeps tipping people over the "worth it to me" threshold (the M3DW LP that just started has already sold more WiiUs to on-the-fence people than Nintendo did last month) but I don't think it's ever going to shake off the "no games for the system" label because that really takes a couple of massive games, while the current progress is more a matter of boiling the frog.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Bruceski posted:

That's the cycle right now. Good games coming out to a small userbase, and each one has the burden of being viewed as "will this save the WiiU." The number of games keeps tipping people over the "worth it to me" threshold (the M3DW LP that just started has already sold more WiiUs to on-the-fence people than Nintendo did last month) but I don't think it's ever going to shake off the "no games for the system" label because that really takes a couple of massive games, while the current progress is more a matter of boiling the frog.

I think this is a good point. Hopefully Nintendo will stick with it and over time the Wii U install base will keep growing. There's still games that we know are on the horizon: Smash Bros, Bayonetta 2, X, SMT x FE, not to mention the inevitable Zelda title. Each release will tip more people over the edge. Once all these are out, the Wii U will have a pretty good library.. sales can still pick up and turn this thing around.
It would also help if Nintendo made good choices about the virtual console and the system software because even little things can help push people over the edge too.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The tough part for Nintendo is that a lot of attentive gamers have likely decided they'll just pick it up some time down the road when it's super cheap, and then go through the back catalog. They might be interested in several of the games, but not interested enough to pay the current full price right now. It takes a spike of strong interest to subvert that and convince them to impulse-buy, not a steady trickle.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Supercar Gautier posted:

The tough part for Nintendo is that a lot of attentive gamers have likely decided they'll just pick it up some time down the road when it's super cheap, and then go through the back catalog. They might be interested in several of the games, but not interested enough to pay the current full price right now. It takes a spike of strong interest to subvert that and convince them to impulse-buy, not a steady trickle.

If I can play a new Zelda, Metroid, and Smash Bros on the console I'll buy it.

So, yeah what you said.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

What are the odds Nintendo will ditch the Other M characterisation though? I'm not exactly hopeful for new Metroids.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

A Sometimes Food posted:

What are the odds Nintendo will ditch the Other M characterisation though? I'm not exactly hopeful for new Metroids.

Well her Smash design embraces her Other M design(beauty mark, sleeker suit) so that's probably not gonna go away, the gameplay on the other hand might be an improvement.

All depends if Sakurai is working on it or not.

I expect a 3DS Metroid personally but not a console one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Alteisen posted:

I expect a 3DS Metroid personally but not a console one.

Metroid Prime Pinball 2

• Locked thread