Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Retrospectively apply it to all baby boomers at today's market rates and backdate interest as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

adamantium|wang posted:

Can't possibly spend any money on refugee advocates, no sir.

To give you an idea, the largest PR firms in Australia employ about 30-50 people in their head offices, so they've employed the equivalent of two huge firms just for the immigration department. BUDGET EMERGENCY

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Sorry, the age of entitlement is over. It's just good luck that they benefited from it and just they way things fall when policies continue to help them at the expence of anyone younger. Just because they had their lives handed to them you shouldn't expect the same. Ps please work longer for less to maintaint their wealth.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

Tony Abbott says Malcolm Turnbull isn't after his job
June 1, 2014 - 12:31PM
Judith Ireland
National political reporter

Tony Abbott has dismissed the idea that Malcolm Turnbull is going after his job, saying it is "perfectly reasonable" that senior Coalition MPs meet with members of the crossbench following Mr Turnbull's dinner with Clive Palmer last week.

In a sign of the delicate relationship between Mr Abbott and Mr Palmer, the Prime Minister would also not be drawn on whether he thought the Palmer United Party leader was honest.

"It's not my job to give a character reference for my political competitors," he told Channel Ten. "But on the other hand, it's also not my job to impugn the integrity of people who may well be our negotiating partners."

The Coalition faces a tough battle to get key budget measures through the Senate, such as the GP co-payment and changes to pensions, Newstart and university fees. Labor, the Greens and the Palmer United Party have all expressed opposition to the plans.

Mr Abbott has begun talks with incoming senators Bob Day and David Leyonhjelm but so far Mr Palmer has warned he will hold the government's legislative agenda to ransom until he gets more staff.

Last Wednesday night, Mr Palmer had dinner with Mr Turnbull in a Canberra restaurant in a move that sparked fears among Coalition MPs that it was an attempt to destabilise Mr Abbott's leadership, according to reports.

The Prime Minister on Sunday dismissed any suggestion about an attack on his leadership.

"I think it's perfectly reasonable for senior members of the Coalition to talk with independent and minor party senators because ... we have a budget to get through the Parliament."

Mr Abbott added that there was "nothing wrong" with Mr Palmer having a relationship with the Communications Minister and others.

"Over time, I'm confident that he will have a constructive relationship with the government."

Mr Abbott also hit back at opposition to the Coalition's first budget from other parties.

"Whether it's Bill Shorten, whether it's the Greens, whether it's others – it's one long chorus of complaint. And in the end, what the public wants is a government that knows where it wants to go," he said.

"The man with the plan has an extraordinary advantage over the person who has just got the complaint."

Mr Abbott said that he was currently talking to "various minor party and independent senators".

"They're really courtesy calls as much as anything," he said.

He conceded that it would not be easy to negotiate the budget through the Senate but appeared to take heart from history, noting that it was unusual for governments to have an upper house majority.

"And yet, almost no government has failed to get the major elements of its budget through."

If the press gives Abbott/Turnbull even a fraction of the inexorable shitmongering saturation coverage of Gillard/Rudd I will die laughing.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

quote:

Minister denies uni fees will jump
AAP

June 1, 2014, 11:59 am

Facebook
Twitter
G+
Pinterest
Mail

Education Minister Christopher Pyne rejects claims university funding will drive up course costs. AAP Education Minister Christopher Pyne rejects claims university funding will drive up course costs.

Education Minister Christopher Pyne rejects claims that the government's proposed rejig of university funding will drive up course costs for students.

Institutions which price themselves out of the market will have empty lecture theatres and tutorials, Mr Pyne said.

"Competition will drive prices down and students will be the winner in terms of quality and price," he told ABC TV on Sunday.

The comments follow speculation the government's slated cuts to university funding will bring hikes of up to 100 per cent for some undergraduate degrees.

University of Sydney analysis of a planned government reduction in course funding will mean fees for communications, social science, environmental and engineering degrees will skyrocket, Fairfax media reports.

A communications degree currently costing a domestic a student about $18,132, would carry a new price tag of about $37,000, the modelling suggests.

But Mr Pyne said some 200 universities across Australia will have to remain competitive in the education market and doesn't foresee an explosion in fees.

Despite the cost, students will still be able to borrow every single dollar from the government "at the lowest interest rate that student will ever see in any loan they will ever have in their lives".

Students enrolled in courses before the budget announcement will not be affected by the change, while those who have signed up since will be affected from January 2016.

More stuff re: Pyne.

tl;dr - THE FREE MARKET

Problem: getting into university is NOT a free market and requires ATAR scores in the first place to gain access to certain degrees, thereby you are already limited in choice. The Market is a closed market where the demand won't go down because people who can afford will continue to go and people who can't simply won't. Libertarianism running wild.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

quote:

"It's not my job to give a character reference for my political competitors," he told Channel Ten. "But on the other hand, it's also not my job to impugn the integrity of people who may well be our negotiating partners."
Abbott, May 2011

quote:

"We've seen real Julia, we've seen fake Julia. We've seen wooden Julia, we've seen teary Julia. We've seen 'All the way with LBJ' Julia, we've seen bible expert Julia, we've seen George Washington 'I will never tell a lie' Julia.

"The fact is, the one thing we've never seen is truthful Julia."

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Ammonsa posted:

Restaurant Industry, Restaurant Industry Award 2010, I don't have a contract and get paid cash in hand haha it's kind of dodgy.

I haven't, what union should I be joining?

United Voice I think. We have someone else here who works in a restaurant.

1) join the union, ask how long the waiting period is before you get access to all their services.
2) read through the award, and see if there is a casual to permenant clause. (You get to be a perm after 6 months maybe)
3) document everything, how long you have been working, how many hours you've worked, if you know exactly get a statement witnessed by a justice of the peace.
4) best case they go well poo poo and pay you casual and super.
5) worst case they go get out and you have the union to back you for unfair dismissal, and they can bring in fairwork and the ato.

You're not in a happy workplace and they will gently caress you over more. It's just a matter of where and when.

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating
There's nothing free about the 'market' for uni places. Demand far outstrips supply, universities can charge what they like. There is no fluid competition - It's not like a bunch of reputable sandstone unis are going to pop up to compete with the established unis if they increase their prices.

Also psychologically speaking people will still bear the cost, because of the real and perceived advantage of having a degree, plus the fact that they can essentially defer the cost of uni til later in life, it's not seen as a real cost that they have to pay right now.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Lid posted:

tl;dr - THE FREE MARKET

Problem: getting into university is NOT a free market and requires ATAR scores in the first place to gain access to certain degrees, thereby you are already limited in choice. The Market is a closed market where the demand won't go down because people who can afford will continue to go and people who can't simply won't. Libertarianism running wild.

Look if you don't like the prices of snacks at the movie cinema, you can always go to a different movie cinema. Ergo free market bitch.

I hate how journalists never ask politicians to rationalise their claims. You could ask what competition in the education system will look like, given the hurdles setting up a new university and regulatory compliance. But hey, lets always take things at face value and appreciate how GP co-payments will make people think twice before seeing a doctor, while also not limiting access to doctors.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
You're not going to get those questions in a country where every editor of a Murdoch paper apparently came to the same independent conclusion that this budget is great for the country and anyone publicly stating otherwise is a spoilt child.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Those On My Beet posted:

That much is obvious. They are concerned about polling figures and by trying to front foot it they are running around contradicting each other and themselves because they have no real strategy to respond to the backlash.

It's quite bizarre really. The strategy to hold back until they get a Senate to work with is unravelling. It bears out the belief among a few of us that they got the royal ride of their life from the media pre-election and never thought that far ahead. Why didn't their PR/lobbyists of genius predict the roadblocks? I get the sense that the sensible people got ignored in the rush to be libertarian heros; is discipline just an Opposition thing now?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

ewe2 posted:

It's quite bizarre really. The strategy to hold back until they get a Senate to work with is unravelling. It bears out the belief among a few of us that they got the royal ride of their life from the media pre-election and never thought that far ahead. Why didn't their PR/lobbyists of genius predict the roadblocks? I get the sense that the sensible people got ignored in the rush to be libertarian heros; is discipline just an Opposition thing now?

They really never did think beyond getting themselves into power, all that is behind their strategizing is sociopathic animal cunning, nothing deeper than that. You're watching a bunch of criminals panic and ransack the place as fast as they can, of course they're disorganized.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?
While going through past news articles, I'm still trying to get my head around this quote by Tony:

quote:

Prime Minister Tony Abbott has rejected a controversial recommendation in a key Productivity Commission report that suggests drivers be charged for every kilometre of road use:
"Tolls are a fact of life. We pay for road tolls, we pay for roads through our taxes, we pay for roads through our registration and we pay for our vehicles, so there's already a significant form of user-charging. "This new form of user-charging, I suspect, is unlikely to ever be adopted by any government."
Replace tolls with healthcare, education, whatever you want...

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Doesn't the white paper for the Carbon Repeal suggest a road levy?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Nuclear Spy posted:

While going through past news articles, I'm still trying to get my head around this quote by Tony:

Replace tolls with healthcare, education, whatever you want...
It's even more ironic and :psyboom: when you realise that motorists already (via the fuel excise) pay for every kilometer of road use. Productivity +NTATA =/= sense? Paint me shocked!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

oh my god

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating
Gonna leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1ggMgjYev4

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

You're a thread late.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Incredible.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

It's beautiful

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?
There needs to be more Simpsons AusPol crossovers:

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Nuclear Spy posted:

There needs to be more Simpsons AusPol crossovers:

Someone posted this page a few weeks ago.
https://www.facebook.com/Simpsonsagainsttheliberals

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

They really never did think beyond getting themselves into power, all that is behind their strategizing is sociopathic animal cunning, nothing deeper than that. You're watching a bunch of criminals panic and ransack the place as fast as they can, of course they're disorganized.

I suspect they thought they could just pay off Palmer, and the other individual senators.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
A refugee likely self-immolated in Victoria http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/06/01/asylum-seeker-dies-after-suffering-serious-burns-morrison

quote:

Immigration Minister Scott Morrsion has confirmed a man living on a bridging visa in Geelong has died after succumbing to the effects of serious burn injuries.

Minister Morrison said the burn injuries affected 90 per cent of the asylum seeker's body in an incident that occurred yesterday.

He said the male asylum seeker was of Sri Lankan nationality and had no family in Australia.

"Overnight a man who was on a bridging visa in the community passed away after suffering very serious injuries.

"I'm advised by my department that a man believed to be an illegal maritime arrival of Sri Lankan nationality suffered serious burns in an incident in Geelong yesterday morning, I understand he died of his injuries overnight."

Emergency services yesterday rushed to the Geelong suburb of Newtown in response to reports that a man was on fire near the intersection of Cairns St and West Fyans Street after 10.30am.

The man was taken to Geelong Hospital before being flown to The Alfred hospital’s burns department, where he later died.

Mr Morrison said the man's death was not caused by an assault, but refused to give further details.

"I have not yet been advised that his family has been notified [so] it is not appropriate to release his name or other details," he said.

Minister Morrison said the man had been given a bridging visa in May and again in July, after arriving in Darwin in January last year.

Police are investigating the incident.

"I don't want to confirm anything at this point until we have a better picture from police, and in particular once we have been able to go through the identification issues," Minister Morrison said.

Mr Morrison also confirmed that protests are continuing on Christmas Island, but refused to confirm reports that some asylum seekers have sewn their lips together.

"I'm advised that situation is under control at the moment. It's not uncommon for peaceful protests to occur in detention facilities," he said.

"It's not helpful for refugee activists to dramatise these events and seek to whip them up in the public mind because frankly that is the purpose of these protests."

More details to come.
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/06/01/serious-incident-kills-asylum-seeker-govt

quote:

An asylum seeker living on a bridging visa in Melbourne is dead after suffering serious burns.

Immigration Minister Scott Morrison said the man was rushed to Melbourne's Alfred Hospital after a "very serious incident" on Saturday morning, but died overnight.

He suffered burns to about 90 per cent of his body.

"There are many matters about this incident which are still not known at this time," Mr Morrison told reporters on Sunday, adding that the man's injuries were not linked to an assault.

Police are investigating the death and also working to formally identify the man, who was living in the community and receiving "necessary support", Mr Morrison said.

He arrived in Australia in January 2013 and was first granted a bridging visa in May the same year.

The minister extended the government's sympathies to the man's friends and overseas-based family.

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jun 1, 2014

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Fruity Gordo posted:

A young refugee self-immolated in Victoria

I think you will find he was not a genuine refugee, but merely seeking to bludge off of our overly generous healthcare system and take advantage of our dear job creators' efforts.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

I'm pretty sure exactly this happened not three months ago.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Burning to death: Preferable to what the Australian government does to refugees.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Captain Pissweak posted:

I'm pretty sure exactly this happened not three months ago.

Yep, in Balmain. Second refugee self-immolation in two months. :dance: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-11/tamil-asylum-seeker-self-harms-in-sydney/5383318

Foundry Dancer
Apr 21, 2005

Lid posted:

tl;dr - THE FREE MARKET

I've yet to see anyone pointing out how there's currently only a cap on the maximum fee that a university can charge (that's right?), and no cap on the minimum fee. That being the case, there's absolutely nothing currently stopping universitites from lowering their fees if they wanted to. Obviously then, the maximum cap is not preventing them from lowering fees. Thus, removing the cap won't make prices go down.

I mean, I know that Pyne's argument is just ideological bullshit, but this seems likie a simple and obvious argument that anyone can understand, even an Australian voter.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-01/afghan-refugees-who-helped-defence-resettled-in-australia/5492380

quote:

More than 500 Afghans resettled in Australia after helping Defence Force
Updated 36 minutes ago

More than 500 Afghan nationals who helped Australia's mission in Afghanistan have been resettled in Australia under a "discrete" relocation program, the Government says. Defence Minister David Johnston said the employees and their families, including interpreters, were assessed to be at risk of harm after providing critical support to the Australian Defence Force and Australian Government agencies in Afghanistan. "Many of these employees were placed at significant risk of harm by insurgents in Afghanistan, due to the highly visible and dangerous nature of their employment," Mr Johnston said in a statement.

The majority of those already settled in Australia arrived over the latter part of 2013 and early 2014.

The statement said the Government had wanted to conduct the process "with a high level of discretion, given the sensitivities and risks involved for the applicants and their families". It is understood the Afghan employees and their families were keen to settle in Australia and said they were eager to start new lives and establish themselves as soon as possible. The families were provided with accommodation, health services and household assistance. "Many have already commenced employment or vocational training opportunities and their children are enrolled in school," Social Services Minister Kevin Andrews said in the joint statement. Following the completion of Australia's mission in Uruzgan and the departure of Australian Defence Force personnel from the province, Australia will continue to provide training and advisory support to the Afghan National Security Forces.

More loving queue jumpers.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Foundry Dancer posted:

I've yet to see anyone pointing out how there's currently only a cap on the maximum fee that a university can charge (that's right?), and no cap on the minimum fee. That being the case, there's absolutely nothing currently stopping universitites from lowering their fees if they wanted to. Obviously then, the maximum cap is not preventing them from lowering fees. Thus, removing the cap won't make prices go down.

I mean, I know that Pyne's argument is just ideological bullshit, but this seems likie a simple and obvious argument that anyone can understand, even an Australian voter.

The University of Western Sydney at least have frozen their fees, effectively taking a further 20% funding cut on top of the across-the-board cuts. Because they are good. :unsmith:

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jun 1, 2014

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Don't :dance:

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
This is the young man who set himself on fire yesterday. His name's Leo. He was afraid of being sent back to Sri Lanka and tortured.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

A message from the Prime Minister - 70th Anniversary of the D-Day Landings

Sunday, 1 June 2014

Prime Minister

This week the world will commemorate the 70th anniversary of the D-Day landings.

The D-day landings changed the course of human history.

As part of the commemoration, I will join seven Australians who were there 70 years ago.

Over 3,000 Australians were involved – including 2,500 air force personnel who provided air support for the Allied landings.

Following the D-day commemorations, I will be travelling to Canada and the United States – and will be joined by Australian business leaders.

My message to overseas investors is that Australia is open for business.

The Government’s Economic Action Strategy to lower tax, cut red tape and encourage trade will improve the competitiveness of businesses – so that we can build a stronger Australia.

We welcome investment and we are making investment more attractive by scrapping the carbon tax and the mining tax, cutting 50,000 pages of red tape and ending the “analysis paralysis” on major projects.

Our international partners can see that our Budget is again under control, we are tackling debt and deficits and we are serious about building a strong and prosperous economy.

This year Australia hosts the G20 summit to encourage growth around the world and I will be advancing that cause during this trip.

The United States, Canada and France are long standing friends. We stood together at D-Day, we trade every day and we have always shared a commitment to democracy, to enterprise and to people’s right to be free.

he actually did it

he managed to make d-day about the carbon tax

e:

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jun 1, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I fully accept that Abbott himself is a total fuckwit but you'd think his inner circle and the people writing his speeches/press releases would be at least a little more tactful.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

adamantium|wang posted:

he actually did it

he managed to make d-day about the carbon tax

e:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
How loving tone deaf do you have to be to write that poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatman
Oct 20, 2005

"I DON'T WANT A RIOTING SCUMBAG AS A NEIGHBOUR"? WELL I DON'T WANT A FUCKWIT GUN NUT AS A POSTER
:fuckoff:

Fruity Gordo posted:

This is the young man who set himself on fire yesterday. His name's Leo. He was afraid of being sent back to Sri Lanka and tortured.

I know ill do something to warrant that, jet off to another country, expect to be handed everything, just the sort of unhinged person i want living next door to me.

• Locked thread