Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Rincewind posted:

And so the Senate basically reverse-engineered the Imperium of Man, I guess.
Monternos is way too focused on technological innovation to fit in with the Imperium. I guess if we changed our schtick to "rediscovering the wonders of Rome forgotten during the Dark Age" it'd fit right in though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

JT Jag posted:

Monternos is way too focused on technological innovation to fit in with the Imperium. I guess if we changed our schtick to "rediscovering the wonders of Rome forgotten during the Dark Age" it'd fit right in though.

WELL...

Rediscovering some things might not be too inaccurate a statement. :v:

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

StrifeHira posted:

WELL...

What a positively useful device...

How does it work?

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
Steam rises into the pipes, and into the sphere, the sphere then forces the built up steam vapor into the attached small pipes, making the sphere rotate by the exhaust force of the steam.
It was the worlds first concept of steam power put into practice.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

StrifeHira posted:

WELL...

That's not so much a Wonder Of Rome so much as it is a cool thing a dude came up that was way ahead of its time and never caught on. Like everything Da Vinci did that wasn't art until it was rediscovered hundreds of years later.

Skyfinder
Dec 28, 2012
Ah, the good old standard alternate history question. What if Rome didn't depend on slaves so much and put it's time and energy on early industrialization, with inventions like the machine above teeming with potential. Such a shame.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Well, slaves or not if the guy who made that made something practical than it might have caught on. I've heard of someone making a steam powered door as well, possibly in Ancient Greece.

From what I understood, a lot of it was started by the spinning jenny and flying shuttle which gave a steam engine practicality. Though they made have been used for pumping water in mining.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
Political inflexibility and poor design lead to the greatest crisis' in the Republic/Empire.

Having two consuls for instance instead of just an elected dictator outside times of crisis would've been preferable during the Punic wars.
Armies became loyal to their Imperator instead of the Republic, and the senate would basically have a poo poo fit every time somebody did anything good, meaning Julius Ceasar wouldn't really have to murder his way to the top, and get murdered in return if he got elected dictator naturally.
The time of Emperors held out a few decades till a few horrendously awful ones took to the throne, and undid centuries of victories.

I think what our Rome has, and real Rome didn't was that we have the concept of the state and we're merely holding an office to benefit society. Which Legionaries probably had an idea of, but as you went up the chain into the Senate it was more a collection of wealthy families and everything you did was to further the name and standing of your lineage rather than the well being of Rome. So for all it's hoighty toighty advances, Rome was still ruled by a tribal elite of jerks, they just weren't living in huts.

Conquest and occupation of other nations was with a mailed fist, which of course was the thing to do back then because the frontier was hard and savage like you wouldn't believe.
But slow integration would've benefited the empire itself more, like ruling them by proxy (install a workable family as local rulers) and slowly adjusting the laws they live, instead of throwing down Roman law immediately.

Though I can't blame them for anything, because everything we know today was barely invented back then.
We're benefiting from 2000 years of philosophy, education and morals including access to the internet. They had to play everything they saw by ear, and you were a very well traveled man if you saw the whole of Italy. Being horrifically narrow minded was the standard, and there was no way to learn beside going out there and doing it (with mixed results as you all know).

I have a deep love for alternate history, but when I think of the actual mechanics of ancient life I don't really see it going any other way.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
The Valerian Orders are the Black Templars, obv.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Since WoN is out and I can actually work on the mod again, I'm going to close this vote sometime this weekend, so if you have any last minute coalition deals, party mergers, or changes in allegiance get 'em out of the way sooner rather than later.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
What do you think of WoN? Will it help in making more interesting narration on the LP perspective or is it just a weird thing that doesn't do much either way?

Most of what I know of EUIV comes from MadDjinn's playthroughs so I'm only familiar with Conquest of Paradise.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Are you decided on what type of government we will have? Will we get access to plutocratic or aristocratic ideals?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I haven't had a chance to play WoN yet (I feel like I should probably play a game of it before I... you know... try to LP it) but I really like most of what I see in the patch notes, so I'm extremely optimistic-- and glad I decided to wait for it come out before starting EU4.

We will be starting as a feudal monarchy localized to be called an "Empire", rather than the Empire government type, since that would lock us out of ever changing our government, which seems like an awful waste of an interesting gameplay feature. And anyway, we pretty much were still a feudal monarchy at the end of CK2-- we couldn't even revoke themes anymore.

We're probably just keeping aristocracy since a.) starting out, the doukes are still strong and b.) the other counterweights to their power are still nobles-- cosmopolitan, multicultural, multifaith, gender equal nobles, half of whom were probably just elevated to noble status by some Komnenoi or another to pad out the Senate, but still aristocrats.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Rincewind posted:

We're probably just keeping aristocracy since a.) starting out, the doukes are still strong and b.) the other counterweights to their power are still nobles-- cosmopolitan, multicultural, multifaith, gender equal nobles, half of whom were probably just elevated to noble status by some Komnenoi or another to pad out the Senate, but still aristocrats.

Ugh. So much to fix.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Apparently there's a hilariously bad bug with regards to rebels right now that has them spawn in enormous numbers for no readily apparently reason (It's labelled as Nationalist, but people have been reporting getting these happening with negative RR)

Stuff like "Bumfuck Nowhere Siberia" making GBS threads out 100,000 guys in a "Nationalist Revolt" when your entire nation's manpower limit is 300,000. And OPMs suddenly spawning 30 regiments to overthrow the establishments.

Or worse, you're trying to snip a OPM, and your own guys rebel with a 50K stack right from under your pacification force, and eat it alive.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

A stupid bug on day one of a Paradox expansion? Why, I never.

I'm 100% sure that will be fixed before the mod is anywhere near ready, these little things always are.

Although given our relative strength going into EU4, we probably deserve those rebels. :v:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Don't rebels always get hosed up after every patch?

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?

Funky Valentine posted:

Don't rebels always get hosed up after every patch?

They were in CK2.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I remember the dark old days of expansion-less Victoria II. I played as the USA a lot and a pretty regular occurrence was almost every province west of the Mississippi River having multiple rebel brigades, and you can't even start fighting them off before more revolts break out in places you just cleared.

CK2 also had that one bug where they redid the amount of levies characters got from their vassals for Sons of Abraham, but didn't tweak the way vassals judge their strength compared to their lieges, so vassals were in a state of constant revolt all around the world that led to every realm on earth being elective within 20 minutes of game start. Not the same kind of rebels, but that was probably the most frustrating thing I've ever had to deal with in CK2.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I remember the dark old days of expansion-less Victoria II. I played as the USA a lot and a pretty regular occurrence was almost every province west of the Mississippi River having multiple rebel brigades, and you can't even start fighting them off before more revolts break out in places you just cleared.
Indian Wars simulation mode, I call that.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Indian Wars simulation mode, I call that.

I just realized I meant to say "east." :saddowns: All the cities that actually matter, covered in a carpet of goddamn Jacobins.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Unitas: 2
Mongols and Merchants: 1
New Marians: 10
Hellenic Restoration: 2
Monternos: 16
Da Qin: 2
Inclusionists: 4
Fraternalists: 2
The Faithful: 2
Komnenian Restoration: 2
Adventurer Merchants: 8
Ecclesiastical Movement: 2
The Guiding Light: 1
The Craftsmen's League: 2
RINO: 1
Roman Enotita: 1
True Religion: 1

COALITIONS:
Cartographers: 3 (RIP)
Neo-Milvians: 6
Novus Mercator: 14
Marian-Monternos: 26

LEADERBOARD
-Marian-Monternos: 26
1. Monternos: 16
-Novus Mercator: 14
2. New Marians: 10
3. Adventurer Merchants: 8
-Neo-Milvians (6)
4. Inclusionists: 4

Because the three coalitions with total memberships larger than the winning parties are radically different in composition, they're being handled in three different ways:
1. The Neo-Milvians, made up of three parties each too small to be a major party in its own right, will function as a major party under the joint leadership of the leaders of its constituent parties: AJ_Impy, Lord Cyrahzax, and YF-23. By default, all leadership decisions (eg, forming a caucus with another party, occasions when I ask party leaders for input, etc.) can be achieved with a 2/3 vote. Like any other party, you are free to put in place whatever procedures you want for changing leadership, appoint a single spokesperson, or whatever else, as long as you make it clear for me who's speaking for you.
2. The Adventurer Merchants are a single major party with numerous smaller parties supporting it. It will take the form of a single major party under the leadership of Funky Valentine. I'm calling this party the Adventurer Merchants for now, but let me know if you'd rather it be called Novus Mercator.
3. The Marians and the Monternos are already both major parties, so their "coalition" is just whatever ways their leaders choose to cooperate.

So, with that in mind-- the parties of the Byzantine Senate!

MONTERNOS PARTY

StrifeHira posted:

The Monternos Party was founded as a party dedicated to making sure the Roman Empire of the 15th century and beyond was not a Rome stuck in the past, but a Rome looking to the future. A "modern" Rome. As such they support and propose anything that can be used to update the current state of Rome, looking both to nations that have gained a technological edge as inspiration and to possible applications of existing technology within the state. New advances in warfare, seafaring, science, theology, and so forth are all supported by the Monternos Party.

LEADER: Senator S. Emilia Hira (StrifeHira)

MEMBERS: 16
Senator Mira Kalmarova (Rubix Squid)
Adept Nightingale
Vander
Lost Season
cokerpilot
mcclay
Freudian
JT Jag
Talky
Senator Demetria Demetriou (D3m3)
Alexey
Clayren
Senator Eric Metaxas (LJN92)
ChrisAsmadi
Ghostwoods

ADVENTURER MERCHANTS

Funky Valentine posted:

The patricians of Venice have unfortunately all died in a tragic manure explosion (marked "From Yaroslavich", hm) and have been replaced by a younger, more outgoing group of glorified bankers. They've come together to found THE ADVENTURER MERCHANTStm, a party based around "THIthe following principles:

- To boldly go and seek out new lands
- To boldly go and exploit the poo poo out of these new lands
- To explore the whole world, and make all the money within it

The realms of Europe and Asia are boring! Get on a boat and find new realms! Join THE ADVENTURER MERCHANTStm today and get a free eyepatch!

LEADER: Senator Enrico "Moneybeard" Valentinius (FunkyValentine)
MEMBERS: 14
Merchant Adventurers
Gyra_Solune
occipitallobe
Senator Samule Romano (Pyroi)
lenoon
Frozen_flame
Senator James Kirkos (Technowolf) (A missed opportunity for "Tiberios", alas)
Aeromancia

Fraternalists
Rejected Fate (Founder)
FOUNDER: Senator Constantine Ischyrós (Jimmy4400nav)

Mongols and Merchants
FOUNDER: Senator Metiga Sallajer (Blackunknown) (Founder)

Roman Enotita
FOUNDER: Senator Abydos Felicious (AdventFalls)

Craftsmen's League:
FOUNDER: Senator Matthias Vounómou (Meinberg)
Arbitrary Coin

NEW MARIANS

NewMars posted:

The New Marians were originally a cross-party faction devoted to the restoration of Roman standing armies. Now that this is accomplished, they are here to keep the army strong and the nobility weak. They are no jingoistic throwbacks, but men (and women, remember that we started with the gender equality mod on!) who seek to sustain the state through means military, which means taking all who will stand for Rome. To a lesser extent, they tend to harbor all sorts of republican dissidents, due to the Mars family's personal beliefs.

FOUNDER: Mars family (NewMars)
MEMBERS: 10
Senator Merarch Altan Üzüntü (WeaponGradeSadness)
Horsebanger
Senator Samuel Vallion XI (Samuel)
Dux Supremus
Skyfinder
Gnooble
Vagon
Sparq
nothing to seehere (well, you said "new martians" but i think you meant this)

NEO-MILVIAN COALITION

AJ_Impy posted:

Adopting the banner of the Komemnian-era Milvians as a sign of their common cause, The Faithful, Unitas and the Ecclesiastical Movement pooled their resources in a mutual coalition to further the interests of the One True Church.
MEMBERS: 6
The Faithful
LEADER: Theophilus AJ Impy (AJ_Impy)
Senator Epiktetos HiHo XP (HiHo ChiRho)

Unitas
LEADER: Lord Cyrahzax
sniper4625

Ecclesiastical Movement
LEADER: YF-23
Unwise_Cashew

INCLUSIONIST PARTY

TheMcD posted:

What we want is a truly peaceful, stable and tolerant state. As such, we oppose any sort of expansion, be it diplomatic or militaristic (even diplomatic expansion brings turmoil to the realm). However, we would be open to this new practice called "colonization", if we were to find some sparsely populated land somewhere. We also oppose the expansion of the army, but aren't blinded so much that we don't realize that keeping an armed force around is necessary considering the dangers coming from abroad. Similar measures apply for the Black Chamber - aggressive intrigue is opposed, defensive intrigue for the stability of the realm is accepted. A certain focus on technological progress is accepted, but stability must come first. As for tolerance, we wish to support any and all other cultures or religions within the realm that aren't the "official" one and allow them to keep all their traditions and practices.

FOUNDER: TheMcD
MEMBERS: 4
Gurgen II Qutuzid (Luhood)
WilliamAnderson
Soup du Jour

And also...

THE DISCORDIANS

Some senators don't play well with others. With Yaroslav's old committee system dissolved, malcontents are again free to flock together and plot the downfall of the whole rotten system-- to roll the dice of fate, and hope Fortuna provides them with something better, something brighter, something new.

In addition, certain events ("events" in the sense of "things that happen in the thread or in-game", not the game mechanic of "events") may increase the pressure on the existing institutions of state. Think of it as a sort of meta-stability, maybe?

The total number of Discordian senators plus the current pressure is the Discordians' strength. If the strength is ever greater than the ruling party (or caucus of parties-- you might want to consider banding together if things get bad) the current system will fall apart and something different will happen.

Press button to blow up empire.

LEADER: NONE
MEMBERS: This could be you!
PRESSURE: 0
STRENGTH: 0

:siren: Leaders of the other parties (Hellenic, Da Qin, Komnenian, Guiding Light, Rome in Name Only, True Religion's Advocates) will now have the opportunity to either ##join any other party or coalition as a subparty, ##join the Discordians, or simply dissolve their parties. Whichever you pick, everyone who joined your party comes with you until the next round of elections, so this might affect which parties have power in the first few updates.

Leaders of major parties: Initially, the founders of parties are their leaders. Parties are free to adopt whatever procedures they wish for changing leaders, as long as it's clear to me who's in charge. If a leader goes MIA and the party doesn't pick a successor, whoever calls dibs first gets to be the leader.

Leaders have the following abilities:
They arrange caucuses between parties: This is the important one.
On occasion, the Emperor might ask only the leaders about something: A sort of emergency ad-hoc upper house, in times of dire strife. Or an emperor or empress who just loving hates the Senate. Either way.
Leaders can expel members from their party, but this sends them to the Discordians by default (they can join another party in the next election), so mind the strength.

Parties are free to delegate whatever other powers they wish upon their leaders with respect to internal things (what legislature can be proposed, co-leadership, rules of conduct, whatever), but those are the ones that matter in the interactions between the Senate and the imperial government.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

And with all that out of the way, it's time for suggestions for India and South Asia!

The only thing that's certain about the current state of India is that the Timurids never existed, and Indian history wouldn't have been too different before 1081.

Be sure to say what tech speed the Indian tech group should be in your proposals, since that's up in the air.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Let's run this poo poo into the ground.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Let's all join the Discordians right now so we can see what happens.

Did we ever get any info on what was decided on the rest of Asia? I know that a "cyborg Asia" compromise was chosen, but I don't recall if there was an update on what exactly came of that. If there's nothing on it, could we get some info? The situation of surrounding countries ought to be somewhat relevant to the status of India.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

The cyborg is still under construction in the lab, so actually it'd probably be better to take suggestions for Sub-Saharan Africa first, since we've already seen the rest of Africa.

So let's just do that instead. :v:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
In the Grim Darkness of the Mahabarata, There is Only War:

Religious strife has become a way of life on the Subcontinent, with three powerful empires battling it out amongst themselves for supremacy south of the Himalayas. To the west, the defensively minded Maharastra Empire stretches to the Indus river and espouses the tenets of Jainism, fighting only reluctantly and in self-defence. To the south, on the isle of Lanka and the Maldives, the Karnata Nation fights furiously to spread the truth of Kali to all and sundry. To the east, the Kamarupa Commonality aggressively proselytises Buddhism near and far.

These three power blocs have been locked in struggle for hundreds of years, entrenching their views firmly against one another and against outsiders. Those who have tried to breach their borders have been thrown back time and again: It is a good thing the Maharastras are not expansionist else they could have conquered half the way to Rome by now. Their military technology is superb, honed as it has been against one another as iron sharpens iron, but they suffer somewhat from their sons and daughters picking up the sword rather than the book.

(Tech speed 110%.)

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I can't wait until we get to the Americas. I have plans, big plans, non-"hey let's have a massive Aztec empire again" plans. (I like that, but it's overdone LP-wise at this point. Plus, getting rid of it allows for more interesting scenarios in my book.)

Edit: Does this vote include Polynesia and Australia?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The Close Relationship of India and the West

The Somali traders have long formed a powerful link between Europe, Africa and India. Though European states did not bother themselves much with it, either because of closer relationships to their own merchant republics or because they were dealing with things more important to them such as religious unification and foreign invaders, it did not go by unnoticed by the Rajas of India. Stories of the west enamoured them, and soon many were joining the Somali trading fleets to witness for themselves the lands of fairy tales. What was a wave of merchants eventually turned into exploration expeditions, and with time the Rajas set up posts south of Somalia to trade with the natives there and extract wealth. In time the Indian princes turned more and more towards slave trade and became known as ruthless masters.

Then came the Somalian collapse. The Ming Frontier Army destroyed the republic, and trade from it came to a standstill. Though the Indians could build ships that could cross to Africa by that point a major artery that had been taken for granted up to that point was lost and their colonies became stranded. A massive relief expedition was sent but it coincided with a slave revolt in Africa; most of the ships were captured or destroyed, and what was left had no escape route but to the south. The former colonial subjects of the Indian princedoms then begun to plot their revenge; using the captured ships they would sail to India and free their enslaved families.

In game:
  • India itself is *mostly* intact, solidly Hindu.
  • East Africa is more unified, a few provinces are Indian culture Hindu religion but pretty much all of them are under African rule (perhaps colonial administrations could have survived on the post-colonial periphery, as in on the former Somalian border).
  • There is a small African culture/religion state in India with close ties to the mainland African states; think CK2 Jörvik, but with a heavier African population as the slaves are now free.
  • The remnants of the relief expedition escaped far to the south and were stranded in Cape. They're an isolated and poor Indian Hindu OPM that is, however, in a good position to claim this virgin land before any other colonising powers can get to it. They should have a negative tech modifier that goes away once they're discovered by another Indian state.
  • India and East Africa are both in the Indo-African tech group. They have not had close relations with the Ming states, and regarded them with initial hostility following the fall of Somalia, but their own seafaring experiences and traditions have resulted in innovations on their own right. (130% tech speed, with a possible 30% bonus modifier to diplomatic tech).

rincewind posted:

1. The Neo-Milvians, made up of three parties each too small to be a major party in its own right, will function as a major party under the joint leadership of the leaders of its constituent parties: AJ_Impy, Lord Cyrahzax, and YF-23. By default, all leadership decisions (eg, forming a caucus with another party, occasions when I ask party leaders for input, etc.) can be achieved with a 2/3 vote. Like any other party, you are free to put in place whatever procedures you want for changing leadership, appoint a single spokesperson, or whatever else, as long as you make it clear for me who's speaking for you.

We need to flesh this out. AJ and Cyrahzax, you guys use skype, right?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Yup, same handle.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Adventurer Merchants

Man I like this system.

oh I mean aarrrrr this senate be a mighty fine meet o' strange bedfellows an' merchants.

As we sail upon the seven seas as byzantine merchant pirates, let us take this as our motto, my lads:

Absque arrrrrrrgento omnia vana

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
Fortress Hindustan

After seeing the Ming completely smash through Persia like it was nothing, the lords of Northern India came together and began planning a vast series of fortifications along the Himalayas to keep the Ming our of their subcontinent. These fortifications, along with the extensive military reforms kept India off the list of targets for the Ming, although some of that was due to the plethora of easier targets in the west. But now the Maharaja has been given some more room to maneuver thanks to the revolts in China's western frontier, and has been using that to unite India into a single, glorious empire capable of rivaling China itself without missing a beat.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

theblastizard posted:

Fortress Hindustan

After seeing the Ming completely smash through Persia like it was nothing, the lords of Northern India came together and began planning a vast series of fortifications along the Himalayas to keep the Ming our of their subcontinent. These fortifications, along with the extensive military reforms kept India off the list of targets for the Ming, although some of that was due to the plethora of easier targets in the west. But now the Maharaja has been given some more room to maneuver thanks to the revolts in China's western frontier, and has been using that to unite India into a single, glorious empire capable of rivaling China itself without missing a beat.

This is exactly what I was thinking, being situated with the Himalayas between them and the hyper-aggressive, expansionist Ming, it would make a lot of sense for the Indo-Aryan nations to focus all their efforts on warfare to defend the whole of India. I think the two primary northern Indian nations should be Punjab (or whoever holds the north-western portion of India) and Bengal, as the former would need to be extra powerful to defend against possible incursions from Ming-controlled Persia and the latter against possible Ming satellites/allies in Southeast Asia in Burma and beyond. This way you've got two powerful nations protecting India, but with the possibility of them turning on each other, so India can either present a united front against all invaders, stand mostly strong but with some chinks in their armor, or collapse into infighting, depending on whether those two can keep their ambitions in check.

This is based less on the geopolitics of the LP and more on what I think is cool, but I also think it would be neat if South India was mostly merchant republics, or at least kingdoms heavily focused on trade. South India has a lot of great trade goods like spices (irl, and I'm pretty sure in-game, too), and I think they'd take advantage of that to get rich as long as foreign threats and the North Indians are keeping each other occupied. I like the idea of the Malayalis in Kerala being the primary traders, based out of Kochin. I'm going to admit, again, that I just really like Kerala and the Malayali people as a result so this is basically my fanfic of a culture, but I think they're also geographically in the best position out of the rest of the world's powers to capitalize on the destruction of Somalia's trade empire, so it does make sense.

edit: Oh, I just saw the part where you said you wanted Sub-Saharan Africa first. It's early and my caffeine hasn't hit yet, sorry :v: I'll just leave this here so I can copy/paste when we do start talking about India.

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 11, 2014

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

EDIT: Disregard, did not see Rince's post

AdventFalls fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 1, 2014

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

Rincewind posted:

The cyborg is still under construction in the lab, so actually it'd probably be better to take suggestions for Sub-Saharan Africa first, since we've already seen the rest of Africa.

So let's just do that instead. :v:

So wait, you do NOT want India and you want Sub-Saharan Africa instead.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Oh hey I also missed the part where we're doing Africa. Well since my suggestion covers both (and is really mainly about changing eastern Africa) I'd like to say it stands as-is. :v:

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

Down in Africa
Africa, a most mysterious continent. Few know what lies within it, and fewer currently wish to find out. But if you go past the historical kingdom of Ghana and the fallen Somali Republic, you may find that legacies from the rest of the world run deep...

Legacy of Rome
The Kingdom of Mapungubwe was invaded in the 12th century by mysterious men from a land called ‘Eyurope’, claiming dissatisfaction with the Senate of their homeland. This army of discontents had been tired of their Empire’s propensity towards tolerance of the ‘lesser races’, seeking to carve out a place in the world for themselves.

A series of revolts throughout the twelfth century combined with many illicit relations with the natives resulted in their overthrow and a reckoning of their legacy. The few conquerors that were left decided that they would be a counterweight to the Purple in the North. They would be the ones that would shatter that cesspool of ‘tolerance’.

If they must be the enemy of this new Rome, then they would take the form of Rome’s greatest foe – Carthage has returned.

In-Game Effect: From the Cape of Good Hope up to Zimbabwe is held by the Empire of New Carthage. Founded by the descendants of Greek Orthodox hardliners forced out by their many revolts against the Emperors and Empresses of Rome, they seek to create their own Empire where only men of the Greco-Carthage culture, people that speak Greek, and worshipers of the Orthodox religion have rights. They will eventually have Expansionist and Innovative ideas, and will declare the Roman Empire as their sworn enemy at any chance. Their capitol is Great Carthage, located roughly where Great Zimbabwe would be. They are members of the ‘European’ tech group.

Legacy of Ghana
Ghana is the country most Europeans think of when they think of Africa. And indeed, Ghana is still strong. Having long converted to Islam from their ancestral faiths, they have managed to remain a single if highly decentralized state. But they are not alone.

The Ashanti Sultanate lies just to the southeast of Ghana. Ruled by a Sultan whose descendants used to be the ruling family in the twelfth century and overthrown for their seemingly heretical views, he seeks to unite the two nations under his grip.

Surrounding Ghana and the Ashanti are a slew of small fiefdoms and principalities waiting for the taking. Or can one of them defy the odds and become their own Empire?

In-Game Effect: Ghana and the Ashanti Empire are the two big names in the region.

Ghana is the only one to appear in CK2, with roughly equivalent borders. Their long legacy has produced a large nobility and focuses on Aristocratic and Administrative Ideas.

The Ashanti Empire is some ways to the southeast, and is roughly the same strength. It is Ghana’s natural rival and focuses more on Espionage and Religious ideas. The Ibadi sect is the official state religion.

Surrounding the two powerhouses are a series of small perhaps OPM states. Every nation in the area can, if they become large enough, declare themselves the masters of the region and become the Mali Empire.

Legacy of Loans
The Jewish Diaspora became less of a spread over the Middle Ages and more of a direction. By loaning money with interest to the Byzantine Empire after the Komenian Restoration began, the Jewish merchant families suddenly became the richest in Europe. After repeated requests for a vassal state of their own under the Byzantine Empire failed, they looked to Africa.

Leveraging every asset they had, they sailed around the entire continent and eventually arrived on Madagascar. Here now lies the trading republic of Helen Israel, and no one shall ever conquer her again.

In-Game Effects: Helen Israel holds the island of Madagascar and modern-day Kenya. While they are Jewish and have primary Israelite cultures, they are religiously and culturally very tolerant in honor of their Byzantine roots. They focus on Trade, Economic, and Diplomatic ideas, though one of their national traditions could give them a colonist.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
West Africa: the Ghanan Empire remains supreme in the Sahel, but in the forests to their south, rivals both Muslim and Pagan stare them down. The Ashanti, a powerful Sunni Muslim kingdom, and the recently-united Mossi tribes, talented pagan horsemen, stand ready to repel Ghanan southwards advances, while the mighty merchant-republic of Benin monopolizes trade around the bulge of Africa, using its new island base of Fernando Po as a way of siphoning off all trade. It is opposed by powerful Animist inland tribes in Oyo.

Effects: Ghana looks much the same as it did in CK2, but is opposed by the Sunni Despotic Monarchy Ashanti and the Animist Feudal Monarchy Mossi. On the Nigerian coast Oyo its EU4 regular provinces as an Animist Tribal Federation while Benin has Benin plus Hausa's Nigerian coast provinces plus Fernando Po and is an Animist Merchant Republic.

In Central Africa, the Kingdom of Kongo has recently enthusiastically adopted the Confucian ideology for state admission and thrown off the traditional elders in exchange for new civil service exam-passing career bureaucrats. Fascinated by both the gunpowder weapons and literature of the people of distant China, the Kongolese have set out trying to emulate them, however this only has alienated them more to their neighbors, the proudly-traditional pagan kingdom of Loango in the southern parts of Congo and the newly-founded Mbunda kingdom in Angola. The Mbunda, who had traveled south from Sudan after their displacement by the Somalis at their height, practice Coptic Christianity as their state religion but rule over pagan subjects who neither want nor appreciate their new Christian masters.

Effects: Central Africa has Kongo, Confucian Administrative Monarchy, bordered to the south by Loango, Animist Tribal Despotism, which is bordered to its south by Mbunda, a Coptic Despotic Monarchy. All of their provinces are Animist, and Kongo and Mbunda are going to have to convert or tolerate their way out of chaos.

In East Africa, the rising Shona state of Mutapa has not quite finished its mission to conquer all of the former territory of Great Zimbabwe. Deep inland, Great Zimbabwe still holds on and holds hope that its technological and weapons superiority will allow it to regain its lost glory. The Swahili states have a little breathing room due to the utter mess in Somalia, and now would be the perfect time to strike north or south while Mutapa and Somalia are busy with their respective crises, or would be if Sofala, Kilwa, Mombasa, and Malindi weren't engaged in their regular warring. All view the new Zanzibar Kingdom, run by Sinicized Swahilis, with great distrust.

Effects: Great Zimbabwe is a tiny two province minor Animist Despotic Monarchy in the interior in a much higher tech group, surrounded by Mutapa, an Animist Despotic Monarchy. Kilwa, Sofala, Mombassa, and Malindi are all independent Sunni Tribal Despotisms (Kilwa is a Despotic Monarchy, the others are Tribal because of their essential city-state nature). Half of the provinces in Swahili land are Animist, half are Sunni. The island of Zanzibar is a Sinicized Confucian Administrative Monarchy in the Chinese Tech Group on a Sunni province.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

##Join Discordians
:regd08:

Dibs on being the Discordian Leader!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

##Join Discordians
:regd08:

Dibs on being the Discordian Leader!

By claiming leadership of the Discordians, and the Discordsians are, by nature, totally chaotic, does this not mean you are the Janitor of the Discordians? After all, why should their leader get the most comfortable office?

The broom closet is down the hall. Make the floors shine in a particularly chaotic way.

• Locked thread