Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3584923

One of my favorite threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Just had a Yak-9K one-shot my JgPz IV with a shot to the side. We're talking about one-shotting something with a 45mm HE shell here. :wtc:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Dezztroy posted:

Just had a Yak-9K one-shot my JgPz IV with a shot to the side. We're talking about one-shotting something with a 45mm HE shell here. :wtc:

Might have hit you through the cupola on the top and explodified your mans inside.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Perestroika posted:

"Ausf" stands for "Ausführung", which translates more or less into "variant". So yeah, they can refer to several concurrent variants without making a statement about chronological development. In this case I think A and D were both independent sets of improvements over the initial prototype, and manufactured in different factories.

The first small pre-serial production run of around ~twenty vehicles was also called Ausf.A, later renamed D1 when the actual Ausf.D began production. Don't trust german designations, ever.
The Tiger is a good example, starting out as the PzKpfw VI Ausf.H with the SdKfz number 182 and ending the war as PzKpfw Tiger Ausf.E and it's SdKfz index dropping to 181 as the Tiger Ausf.B snatched away it's original SdKfz entry.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Dezztroy posted:

Depending on where the shot hit, it could have struck your roof.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Is the German medium F1 a horrible joke because the F2 is really good? :ohdear:

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Carecat posted:

F1 is a PzIV C with 50mm of frontal armor. It ain't sloped or anything, but it's an improvement over the C's pitiable 30mm.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Even if it hit the roof, a 45mm round does not carry nearly enough explosives to cause any damage through the armor.

Carecat posted:

Yes.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

I think once it gets HEAT it's actually quiet a nice vehicle that can murder T-50 without problem while they have to either flank you (haha... pubbies flanking) aim well (haha... pubbies aiming) or switch to APCR to reliably kill you from the front. The thing is... once I grinded to that point I just had no intention to play it anymore, cause until you get the HEAT unlocked it's a terrible tank.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
The F1 should just start with HEAT, really. The whole WoT idea of a tank being complete dogshit until upgraded is just dumb.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Feindfeuer posted:

The first small pre-serial production run of around ~twenty vehicles was also called Ausf.A, later renamed D1 when the actual Ausf.D began production. Don't trust german designations, ever.
The Tiger is a good example, starting out as the PzKpfw VI Ausf.H with the SdKfz number 182 and ending the war as PzKpfw Tiger Ausf.E and it's SdKfz index dropping to 181 as the Tiger Ausf.B snatched away it's original SdKfz entry.

Wasn't Tiger "H" because they picked Henschel's design over the Porsche's one?

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Feindfeuer posted:

I think once it gets HEAT it's actually quiet a nice vehicle that can murder T-50 without problem while they have to either flank you (haha... pubbies flanking) aim well (haha... pubbies aiming) or switch to APCR to reliably kill you from the front. The thing is... once I grinded to that point I just had no intention to play it anymore, cause until you get the HEAT unlocked it's a terrible tank.

My ammo gets taken out a lot by hits from the front but I don't know where my weakspots are or if their guns just have enough penetration.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

It's right behind the driver, people aim for driver vision ports if they can. But that also happens to T-34. The IV has quiet nice gun depression (compared to the soviets) so it doesn't have to show it's front hull as often as it's russian counterparts.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Teal posted:

You're thinking of the Tiger II which used two turrets. Both turrets were designed by Krupp, but they were designed for the Porsche Tiger II and the Henschel Tiger II, hence the different names. Henschel got the contract for the Tiger II, but they already had 50 turrets for the Porsche one, so they just put those turrets on the first 50 Tiger IIs made.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Teal posted:

Yes, the Ausf.H is the Henschel Tiger, the (only ever deployed) Tiger(P) is the Porsche Tiger (I guess they ran out of Ausf. stamps at that point) and the Ausf.B is the Tiger II, it's B cause b is the second letter in the alphabet and the Ausf.B is the second Tiger. And the Tiger Ausf.E is called E cause... germans :psyduck:

Dezztroy posted:

You're thinking of the Tiger II which used two turrets. Both turrets were designed by Krupp, but they were designed for the Porsche Tiger II and the Henschel Tiger II, hence the different names. Henschel got the contract for the Tiger II, but they already had 50 turrets for the Porsche one, so they just put those turrets on the first 50 Tiger IIs made.

Nope, the Early PzKpfw VI also had the Ausf.H designation for no reason, cause the Porsche model never got officially adopted with only a single copy entering service as a command tank.

Edit: Thinking about it, probably cause the higher ups still hoped that Porsche could fix his stupid tank cause Hitler was seriously gay for Porsche.

Feindfeuer fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jun 1, 2014

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

:gay:

How much do people pay you to link to other plane threads?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dezztroy posted:

Even if it hit the roof, a 45mm round does not carry nearly enough explosives to cause any damage through the armor.

The gun it's based off of has a penetration of up to 80mm (though probably closer to 50 at that angle and distance) with AP ammo. The Jagdpanzer's roof armor is apparently only between 10 and 20mm, so it should punch through pretty easily and from there it only has to ignite ammo or fry the crew with the incendiary core.

For another thing, I just noticed that the scoring for capturing points only takes into account the last stretch before the capture is finalised, rather than your total contribution. On 1-CP Karelia I've been sitting on the central point until it was at like 95% (about 60% of that on my own), then I backed off for a second to dodge some bombs, and when I got on again to snag the capture I got a whole 20 lions for it.

But on the plus side, I made a friend while I was sitting there:

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

The Yak 9K only gets HEF munition, not AP rounds available for it at all. But a lucky HEF hit might still penetrate through the weaker parts of the roof.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Or it could be that thing where HE splash sneaks inside the tank ignoring the armor from a bug or lag.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
I saw the round clearly hit the side of my armor and detonate outside the tank, but other players' rounds have never displayed properly. Dying from a round hitting the ground in front of you is great.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Feindfeuer posted:

Yes, the Ausf.H is the Henschel Tiger, the (only ever deployed) Tiger(P) is the Porsche Tiger (I guess they ran out of Ausf. stamps at that point) and the Ausf.B is the Tiger II, it's B cause b is the second letter in the alphabet and the Ausf.B is the second Tiger. And the Tiger Ausf.E is called E cause... germans :psyduck:

Nope, the Early PzKpfw VI also had the Ausf.H designation for no reason, cause the Porsche model never got officially adopted with only a single copy entering service as a command tank.

Edit: Thinking about it, probably cause the higher ups still hoped that Porsche could fix his stupid tank cause Hitler was seriously gay for Porsche.

Speaking of Tigers, I wonder if we will see more variants as they add more to the game, considering there is a notable difference between an early Tiger like this one:

And a late Tiger like this one:

It would be nice to have both if just for the sake of variety.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Flannelette posted:

Or it could be that thing where HE splash sneaks inside the tank ignoring the armor from a bug or lag.

Or the fact that the tank is getting shot by a Yak9k and the crew just says "No, gently caress this." before they bail.

Ludicro posted:

Speaking of Tigers, I wonder if we will see more variants as they add more to the game, considering there is a notable difference between an early Tiger like this one:

I am sorry but where exactly is the difference between them, except the little armor skirt and a few stick on statues of wehraboos?

e: Look how loving happy the nazi on the very left of the second pictures is.
"Ja, I am on a Tiger. Hahah, filthy gaijin go nach hause."

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 1, 2014

Just Horizontal
Jul 11, 2011

Michaellaneous posted:

I am sorry but where exactly is the difference between them, except the little armor skirt and a few stick on statues of wehraboos?

The wheels? But even the skirts are the same - you can see the fasteners on the first picture where the skirts should be attached i.e. they've simply been removed on the first picture.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Ah, yes, the addition of the little spikeydoos on the front was quite the gamechanger.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

Or the fact that the tank is getting shot by a Yak9k and the crew just says "No, gently caress this." before they bail.

I think later PzVI models ditched the zimmerit anti-magnetic-mine coating and had some minor engine tweaks in addition to the armored kilts and a different turret style.

Thief posted:

Ah, yes, the addition of the little spikeydoos on the front was quite the gamechanger.

Being able to give my PzVI Tiger the Daemonic Posession upgrade is a real game-changer.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 1, 2014

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Wales Grey posted:

I think later PzVI models ditched the zimmerit anti-magnetic-mine coating and had some minor engine tweaks in addition to the armored kilts and a different turret style.

How does that help me shoot tanks better?

Just Horizontal posted:

The wheels? But even the skirts are the same - you can see the fasteners on the first picture where the skirts should be attached i.e. they've simply been removed on the first picture.

See above.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ludicro posted:

I consider myself quite a tonk sperg and I couldn't ever figure out differences between the Tiger variants at all, the only difference that interests me is that the later ones had much much thicker gun mantlet (the lovely gun mantlet on the current one being my primary way of dispatching them using 85mm right now).

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

How does that help me shoot tanks better?

See above.

I guess you shouldn't shoot magnetic mines at zimmerit-coated tanks? v:v:v

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

The missing skirts really drives home how much of a stupid box tank the tiger is.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Wales Grey posted:

I guess you shouldn't shoot magnetic mines at zimmerit-coated tanks? v:v:v

Come back to me when they implemented this features.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

AirborneNinja posted:

The missing skirts really drives home how much of a stupid box tank the tiger is.

I think that's one of my biggest complaints about German tanks in WW2, most of them have almost zero sloping on their armor. The Pz4 F1 actually has more armor on its front than the T-50 but it's barely sloped so it counts for much less.

Michaellaneous posted:

Come back to me when they implemented this features.

Gaijin, please replace artillery on Russian tanks with the commander throwing incendiary bottles.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 1, 2014

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

AirborneNinja posted:

And they even managed to make a stupid box overcomplicated and unreliable and terrible

Germany Didn't Make Good Tanks

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

garth ferengi posted:

And they even managed to make a stupid box overcomplicated and unreliable and terrible

Germany Didn't Make Good Tanks

Please post that into a thread on the WT forums of your choice :allears:

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Jesus christ I can not kill anything with the T-34-85

I try to ambush someone from the side but that doesn't work since you can't point the barrel down. Going hull down is impossible for the same reason, so pretty much you need to get right up to the enemy.
Also doesn't help that anything can penetrate the loving thing from the front while I for some reason have trouble killing loving tigers.
Seriously how the gently caress do you do good in the T-34-85? Think I might just grind up to the T-44 using the 34-57 instead.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Sorry, but the skirts are also on the early Tiger, you can even see the 'knobs' on the side where they should be. Missing track guards and skirts is rather common in german armor as that stuff gets ripped off and lost easily while traveling.

We currently got an early tiger though, you can tell with all the exposed exhaust piping on the engine deck, something you can't really see in the linked pictures but really sets the early and later Tigers apart in terms of overall look (besides the roadwheels).

Edit:
Also the soviets really liked the Pzkpfw III they captured, it was one of their favorite captured armored vehicles. So I guess that was a good design; but it peaked rather early in the conflict in terms of overall effectivness as it wasn't well suited for upgunning.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

organburner posted:

I try to ambush someone from the side but that doesn't work since you can't point the barrel down. Going hull down is impossible for the same reason, so pretty much you need to get right up to the enemy.
Also doesn't help that anything can penetrate the loving thing from the front while I for some reason have trouble killing loving tigers.
Seriously how the gently caress do you do good in the T-34-85? Think I might just grind up to the T-44 using the 34-57 instead.

The 34-85 is a bit of a weird tank with a decent gun but no gun depression, good turret armor but zero hull armor (compounded by the lack of gun depression) and okay mobility but not quite enough to save it from Panthers 1 km away. The only advice I have for playing it is "be a sneaky bastard and try to get around beside the enemy" and if that doesn't work for you then probably just go back to the 34-57 :v:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

organburner posted:

You shoot tanks before they shoot you. You aim for MG ports which virtually every tank has. Except for the Panther. Aim for the turret.

Seriously, it is not hard? I guess you play RB or AB tho'.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Teal posted:

I consider myself quite a tonk sperg and I couldn't ever figure out differences between the Tiger variants at all, the only difference that interests me is that the later ones had much much thicker gun mantlet (the lovely gun mantlet on the current one being my primary way of dispatching them using 85mm right now).

Most of the differences between them won't make any difference to gameplay in War Thunder, like changing the road wheels, removal of smoke canisters and air filtration etc. The main difference is the commanders cupola which on an early Tiger is this big loving tall thing:

Later Tigers changed them to a much more subtle and smaller one:

It also had a ring that you can see in the above picture where there would often be a machine gun mounted for the purposes of attacking aircraft. Given how much people like firing at vision blocks this would be an improvement, tiny as it is.

Not massive differences, but more variety is always a good thing.

:spergin:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I just saw a pilot do something I was talking about on mumble last night, and it was pretty funny. He dropped a massive string of 50 kg bombs with the maximum bomb delay, resulting in the whistling sound playing from everywhere for entirely too long. Also, I could see the little bombs bouncing about all around me. It owned.

He didn't kill me despite a bomb blowing up pretty much as I ran over it, but it crippled me so horribly that there was no hope of repairing before the T-34 zerg rush showed up and finished me off. I was in whatever the last PZ IV is before you unlock the first Panther. It has like a bunch of letters and also some numbers in its name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Um excuse me, I said it had to be done from a Ju88 with its 25ish bombs. :colbert:

Teal posted:

I consider myself quite a tonk sperg and I couldn't ever figure out how to spell 'tank'.

:laugh:

Germany vs Japan is possible now through mixed teams in Korea and it is cool to see the two best nations in the game fighting each other but it is extremely rare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFDot8VxuIQ&hd=1

I heard the first N1K is bad... :japan:

Thief fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 1, 2014

• Locked thread