Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Genghis Cohen posted:

Haha, what film is this? The three pictures tell quite a story by themselves.

It's from the TV show Fargo. Which I highly recommend (and is based in the same world as it's movie namesake)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I can't help but hope those are plastic Mega Nobs too.

Anyways, I feel I've got a good grasp on the rules, but one thing still confuses me. Tactical Objectives, when do you get these? It doesn't say "draw one every turn" or anything, it just says you get them without any conditions for getting them.

And I'm glad the really annoying "roll a dice to see how many terrain pieces are in this section" thing is gone. I hated that method, because you ended up with very unthematic tables, and just long lines of terrain on both sides. I always preferred the Take turns placing.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Oh my god diving suit meganobz

http://recreationalconflict.lusagi.com/lbpulp.html

A guy over on Warseer has used them for Malifaux, and they are just about the perfect size. Bulk these out with plasticard, add some ork bitz, and I am good to go.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Make sure you name the Nob Mr Bubbles and give him a syringe wielding Grot for company.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Have any of you bothered to buy the Strike Force Ultra dataslate?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Boon posted:

It's from the TV show Fargo. Which I highly recommend (and is based in the same world as it's movie namesake)

Thank you! Genuinely going to watch that on the strength of that little storyboard.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Touched up my Harker squad, even though Harker is garbage in the new book. Real sad - this was probably my favorite squad last edition. I'd often drop a shotgun for a Heavy Flamer or some other special weapon. Although, looking at it now, those two guys on the left have the same head. I just got some new Space Wolf heads, so may chop the head off one and swap it for something shaggier.

The new Squat Veterans and psyker are almost done with the converting. All the tree Daemons are primed and ready - they'll be next on my painting table.

Also almost done with these two commission conversions. A Cadian into a Tallarn, and Catachan Harker into a Mordian Harker.

Also, battle shots! My brother took these quite a while ago and only just uploaded them. You can see my Eldar Scout Titan doesn't have the vines painted on it yet, and all the temple terrain is more green and lush now.

My Brother Posting On Warseer, What A Loser hahahaha posted:

About time I posted the photos up from a Planetstrike game we played a while back. This was the first game with the Wraithknight, which you can see was before the vine patterns were painted on.

The Eldar are positioned in their temples, ready to fend off the incoming Catachan troops.

The Wraithknight takes on a Leman Russ head on.

Assault is underway:

Veterans run toward the towering construct:

See more photos in the gallery.

EDIT: We got real drunk so I don't remember the game too well but the hovering Vendetta exploded and a piece of airplane flew out and smushed my Farseer. Pretty cool to have your Warlord scythed down by exploding jet shrapnel, so it was a good game. I forget who won.

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 31, 2014

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Decided to get a group shot of my army. Hopefully it's workable when the codex drops.

BobFromMarketing
Jul 28, 2007

by Ralp
So we are doing a random pick kill team thing at my local shop and given the relatively low point value I figured it would be a good attempt to learn 40k. I already plaY WHFB. I randomed necrons for this and the rules are 200 points, 0-2 troops, 0-1 elites, and 0-1 fast. I am sort of at a loss for what will work well in this as necrons are pretty alien to me. Any suggestions?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

BuffaloChicken posted:

EDIT: We got real drunk so I don't remember the game too well but the hovering Vendetta exploded and a piece of airplane flew out and smushed my Farseer. Pretty cool to have your Warlord scythed down by exploding jet shrapnel, so it was a good game. I forget who won.

WAAC garbage.

Win Assumed, Alcohol Consumed

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

BobFromMarketing posted:

So we are doing a random pick kill team thing at my local shop and given the relatively low point value I figured it would be a good attempt to learn 40k. I already plaY WHFB. I randomed necrons for this and the rules are 200 points, 0-2 troops, 0-1 elites, and 0-1 fast. I am sort of at a loss for what will work well in this as necrons are pretty alien to me. Any suggestions?

C'tan Shard with Entropic Touch.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CyberLord XP posted:

Decided to get a group shot of my army. Hopefully it's workable when the codex drops.

Love the WAAAGH stand. Is that the forgeworld battlewagon in the back as well?

BobFromMarketing
Jul 28, 2007

by Ralp

ghetto wormhole posted:

C'tan Shard with Entropic Touch.

It says I have to take two manifestations, that would push me over 200.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

BobFromMarketing posted:

Hard to go wrong with a mass of Warriors. 15 Warriors for 195 points. You can glance vehicles to death, get back up 1/3 of the time, and put out 15-30 shots for anti-infantry work. Monsterous creatures could be troublesome to you, but at 200 points you're not going to run into too many of those.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Those buildings :stare:
I could really go for a bunch of awesome terrain like that at my club.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

HiveCommander posted:

Build some! Building terrain is a great activity, either with a bunch of less than sober friends or by yourself. Plus, terrain can come in a wide variety of skill levels, and work with a bunch of talents. I'm waiting for my friend to get off work to snap a few pictures of what we have - he has the terrain bag at his place at the moment - but my buddy worked in a furniture warehouse and made some buildings and barricades from scrap, and I like to thrift shop, so I made a Comms Tower out of a three buck toddler toy and a bunch of paint. If you've got real skill (that is, can do more than paint toys) you can make some fantastic stuff, like what Buffalo Chicken and his bro have.

Seriously, the best way to ensure you have interesting terrain on hand is to make it, and it's fun to slap up besides.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

HiveCommander posted:

Thanks! My brother just got a second bridge and I'm gonna build a pillar so we can do even more interesting layouts.

Started slapping paint on my Tree Daemon. Really dumb, since I have a ton of real stuff I should have been doing tonight, but at least I'll sleep well while I'm away knowing that it's at home waiting for me. :allears:

EDIT: Hey Fix!

Some Huge Nerd aka My Brother posted:

A little more progress on the void shield generator: a couple more bits and I'll be ready to start painting!

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 1, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
If you are a Chaos Player you should be jumping for joy seriously with the new edition.

So I am working on a really long faq and guide to Daemon Factory and Chaos Space Marines.

Anyway.. I just noticed that if you have a Chaos Sorcerer unmarked w/ a spell Familiar.

He can choose Sanctic, 4 of the spells are Level 1s, he can use 1 warp dice never ever suffer a perils and gets to reroll failures so he has like a 75% chance to get off Gate of Infinity , Hammerhand, or Sanctuary.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
So we played a game of 6th today (actually my first match in something like 12 years) and as we went over a misunderstanding my opponent had with Night Fighting (he'd been playing it that if Night Fighting was active the first turn, it was active the entire game), we noticed a little heretofore unnoticed change in Night Fighting for 7th. You no longer roll during the game for it - it's first turn or nothing. Not a super huge difference but it seems like a pretty big pain in the rear end has been removed.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Nightfighting was always a undeserved free buff to certain armies on a 50% chance and I am glad they changed it drastically.

It sounds cool, but in practice it was basically always with certain armies " Great we don't shoot on the first turn just move".

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Random geeknerd thought for the day:

In 3rd edition you could rapid fire pistols, same as rapid fire weapons. It meant that Rangers/Pathfinders were even better than most people realized, could whip out the side arms and blaze n' praise. Imagine that with Rending in the latest Codex. **

I can tell you did just slap on the paint yet it looks amazing.

I had some of that lichen for so long it dried up and disintegrated. I have absolutely no idea how to seal in moisture to keep them supple, but I'll be damned if the way you used it doesn't look amazing.

**I will purchase to make this a legit emote as part of an army deal.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 1, 2014

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
First Unbound game today, though it was more for laughs than anything - I put together every Eldar monstrous creature I had and then my friend built a Necron list designed to hard counter it. I won on VPs but he tabled me? Soooo

My list:
Wraithknight w/ Suncannon, Scatter Laser
Wraithknight w/ Suncannon, Scatter Laser
Wraithlord w/ 2x flamer, 1x brightlance x6

His list:
4x 5x Deathmarks
1x 6x Deathmark
3x 10x Deathmarks in Night Scythes
1x 10x Deathmarks
Necron special character that can transform? The diviner?

We rolled up Mission 6 with the diminishing tactical objectives. He won the roll off for deployment but I managed to seize. His Warlord trait meant he could make me discard an objective, mine was -1 to his reserve rolls. He deployed 3 squads of 5 deathmarks with his lord and kept everything else in reserve.

Turns out Deathmarks get really, really good when you have enough of them! Their mark impacts every other Death Mark, so every unit was shooting every one of my units and wounding on 2s and rending on 6s. Oh and they wound in CC on 2s as well, so charging isn't even a good way to wipe them out - the only reason I won on VPs was I got nearly perfect card draws, my first turn I drew 4 objective captures that I was sitting on and I continued to make maybe 50/50 achievable/unachievable draws. In the scenario you draw 1 less card each turn, so when it was time to draw 3 for him he drew 3 he couldn't achieve, which meant he couldn't get any more VPs - even if he discarded at the end of his turn, the next turn his hand size went down again, so he was kinda stuck. He wiped me so it didn't matter but I'm not sure that problem was intended by the scenario?

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

LordAba posted:

Love the WAAAGH stand. Is that the forgeworld battlewagon in the back as well?

Thanks. It's actually a looted Land Raider I use as a battle wagon.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

That right there is why I like Unbound, it really encourages players to just go outside the box completely and really have fun with their armies. Sure you can make a lovely you gonna die list but that looks incredibly fun.

I've played 2 Unbound armies, both with Everything I own, Chaos, Dark Angels, and Necrons. Each game was super fun.

You could always do this , nothing was there to stop you but I think GW putting it in the book encourages it and that's great.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Any advice for making Space Sharks? I've seen some online which used Chaos Space Marines as a base due to their older makes of armour, but how much work would it take to get them looking less evil?

This is just curiosity at the moment. I'm not going to start on another army until... Well, until my willpower breaks like the weak tissue paper it is.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Did the wash on the axe like you guys said and they turned out great. Just a few small details and these guys will be done.

Next up on the chopping block will be my counts as Arjac Rockfist and Logan Grimnar (wolf pelt not shown).

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Night fighting is none of that poo poo with minimum ranges either. It just gives everything stealth.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

The Sisko posted:

Did the wash on the axe like you guys said and they turned out great. Just a few small details and these guys will be done.

Next up on the chopping block will be my counts as Arjac Rockfist and Logan Grimnar (wolf pelt not shown).

Yeah, highlight those force axes like you did the armor (with the blue color, naturally). Highlight them hard.

Arjac? Logan who? Those are clearly finished Ghost Knights, just paint/flock the bases and they're golden. :ghost:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
All 1000-ish points of Space Marines I bought and put together in 2012 that's been sitting in storage only to come out every once in a while. I am going to finish these by the end of the month god drat it. I remember going all out and getting Salamanders parts from Forge World and Chapter House just to satisfy my impulses.

Let's fuckin do this.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Hollismason posted:

If you are a Chaos Player you should be jumping for joy seriously with the new edition.
tell me why...

quote:

So I am working on a really long faq and guide to Daemon Factory and Chaos Space Marines.
oh hell yes please give us the link/whatever when you're done.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Star Man posted:

All 1000-ish points of Space Marines I bought and put together in 2012 that's been sitting in storage only to come out every once in a while. I am going to finish these by the end of the month god drat it. I remember going all out and getting Salamanders parts from Forge World and Chapter House just to satisfy my impulses.

Let's fuckin do this.

Hell yeah! While they're no longer officially "the best" Space Marine army, Salamanders are awesome and have so much more character than other chapters. I need to go find my Drop Pod and get it fixed up since they score now.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

PierreTheMime posted:

Hell yeah! While they're no longer officially "the best" Space Marine army, Salamanders are awesome and have so much more character than other chapters. I need to go find my Drop Pod and get it fixed up since they score now.

Im sorry. But space wolf supremacy :colbert:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

krushgroove posted:

tell me why...

oh hell yes please give us the link/whatever when you're done.

It's on Dakka right now, it's way to long to post here.
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/597338.page#6875965

I'm still working on it as it takes a lot of time to go through everything. I've still got 3 or 4 more parts to write.

Basically Crimson Slaughter Chaos Sorcerer, with Spell Familiar and Prophet of the Voices is like seriously the best Malefic caster in the game.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Hollismason posted:

It's on Dakka right now, it's way to long to post here.
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/597338.page#6875965

I'm still working on it as it takes a lot of time to go through everything. I've still got 3 or 4 more parts to write.

Basically Crimson Slaughter Chaos Sorcerer, with Spell Familiar and Prophet of the Voices is like seriously the best Malefic caster in the game.

Tactical genius apotted:
code:
Puscifer wrote:
I've just realised something. 

Playing this as generic Daemon Factory where you just spam units left right and centre is all well and good, but how about using it like a toolbox? 

Oh, I need an objective holder... Spawn PBs. I need to take out a unit of Crisis Suits... Spawn Bloodletters. 

Could work?
/

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Post 9-11 User posted:

Tactical genius apotted:
/

Undertow came out on the same year as second edition. Coincidence?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Did you know Daemons can summon Daemons!! You should use that in your Daemon Factory!

I've been writing it up like a hour a night eventually I'll re edit it turn it into a article or something.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
And different Demons have different capabilities, too. Use right right demon for the right enemy, that's using your head(s)!

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Post 9-11 User posted:

And different Demons have different capabilities, too. Use right right demon for the right enemy, that's using your head(s)!

:aaaaa:

Next thing you'll be telling me to use Skyfire on flyers and that's just silly.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So I was doing some digging in the new rulebook and I found that you could give certain units a USR called "Tank Hunter." There is also another called "Monster Hunter"!

I was going over this a little bit and I think certain units might be better at hunting tanks. So if you face a bunch of Lemun Russes you could potentially use Tank Hunter against them! On the flip side, if you're facing Tyranids Monster Hunter might be useful.

I'm going to try this out this week, I'll get back to you guys on how it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Boon posted:

So I was doing some digging in the new rulebook and I found that you could give certain units a USR called "Tank Hunter." There is also another called "Monster Hunter"!

I was going over this a little bit and I think certain units might be better at hunting tanks. So if you face a bunch of Lemun Russes you could potentially use Tank Hunter against them! On the flip side, if you're facing Tyranids Monster Hunter might be useful.

I'm going to try this out this week, I'll get back to you guys on how it works.

This kind of poo poo is RUINING the tournament scene. A recent mathhammer rear end in a top hat I played fired a krak missile at my chimera, so YOU BET I cussed him in front of his 4-year-old. Kid's gonna grow up just like his cheating neckbeard dad unless champs like me have a say.

• Locked thread