Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
As a semi-random aside, a fun way to remember which notes are partially missing sharps and flats (ie: sharp or flat is equal to another natural note, B# = C for example) is if you play those four notes in the right order, it's Torgo's theme. EBCFEBCFEBCFEBCF...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Thanks baka kaba for the effort posts. I think my head hurts from all of it though. D:

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 29, 2014

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Those are very helpful posts. Thank you very much. I like the 'T' and 'S' way of describing scales.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Heres a probably well known secret i just learned about fear of the dark on bass. Once you make that double stop shape you can play almost the whole song like that and just slide it up and down between first and 7th frets! I still miss half the double stops, but hitting half of them means I'm getting better right?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I have no idea why Black Tongue is so far high on the list when you sort by difficulty, it's a ridiculously easy song barring the last little bit, and that just requires some practice.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Sorting by difficulty is pretty subjective when it comes to stuff like this

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

toymach1ne posted:

Sorting by difficulty is pretty subjective when it comes to stuff like this

Including in the songs.

For some reason rocksmith rates open chords harder than arpeggios.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I think it's due to the octave shape, it seems to think that's harder than a 5.

We need a new emote that's over-the-top stylized "POWER CHORD" to emphasize how Xtreme that phrasing is.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Rusty Kettle posted:

Those are very helpful posts. Thank you very much. I like the 'T' and 'S' way of describing scales.

Yeah, it's handy for actually playing through scales too, because it tells you how to move to the next note - one fret or two? There's only two S's in there so really you just need to remember where those appear. I just have that "tone tone semitone, tone tone tone semitone" rhythm internalised. You could do "hop hop skip, hop hop hop skip" or something if you like, whatever.

And because modes can be thought of as a major scale starting in a different place in the sequence, that means all the modes use the same pattern too, starting from a different position :ssh:

So major (ionian) is:
T T S T T T S

and minor (aeolian), which starts on the sixth note of the major scale, is:
T S T T S T T

You can try it, start on a note and play it, then move up the string one fret or two, following the sequence, and see how it sounds. All the patterns you see in session mode are really based around the idea that you have alternatives. You can make a certain move up the same string, or you can make an equivalent move onto the next string, so it's possible to keep your hand in one place and make all the necessary moves. Some patterns do involve a little bit of moving left and right though, you might have noticed

unlawfulsoup posted:

Thanks baka kaba for the effort posts. I think my head hurts from all of it though. D:

Don't point that thing at me

Yeah sorry, I kinda forgot to keep it focused. For what you're doing, you could take a look at this:
http://www.guitarchordsworld.com/chord-theory
The scales are all listed at the bottom, and the recipes for each chord are up top. So you just pluck out the numbers it says, flat or sharp the note if it tells you to, and that's it.

Experiment a bit with putting your own chords together, or taking ones you already know and see how you can change them without changing the 'recipe'. Open G is a good one - why is it sometimes 320033 and sometimes 320003? Why does the 355433 barre version count? Once you get familiar with the basic idea of the notes as building blocks you can add in, you can start messing around

And if anyone wants to learn the fretboard, this is honestly a great exercise (works for guitar too) and teaches you the circle of 4ths/5ths at the same time, which is handy in a bunch of ways you'll notice later
http://www.studybass.com/lessons/fretboard-notes/studybass-note-name-memorization-method/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Those guitars are all pretenders, Kyle Gass' double necked guitar is the one true absurd instrument.

(which I can't GIS an image of because I'm at work, but I'm sure everyone knows what I'm talking about anyways)

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Someone make some Jandek CDLC

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Who cares how many chords you know?

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Clicked expecting Djentstick video.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

toymach1ne posted:

Someone make some Jandek CDLC

I was sad to discover nobody had made the greatest guitar song ever known
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UQ_ZhC-1CU

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

there's the hint for next week

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Google image search brings up a bunch of fractals. Maybe it's Lateralus.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Reminds me of the AiC Facelift cover, but doesn't seem very likely since we already got AiC.

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...
Someone on the rocksmith forums posted a link to this, which has the original image from the clue: http://www.space.com/13374-ancient-supernova-mystery-solved.html

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Powerman 5000?

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Liz Phair?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

That was my first thought also, I'd probably buy it!

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

That's what I was thinking. I'd be very much ok with Supernova.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Things it won't be but would be awesome...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb_juTPQJUc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO29Pz2Hw5w

See More Butts
Dec 29, 2004

10 more Muse songs

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I replaced my old guitar with a low-end First Act one a while back and just got into trying to return to the first Rocksmith after months of inactivity and the difference is night and day. Before I was never getting more than a few hundred thousand in Ducks due a lot to missed notes, but now I'm scoring well over 1M repeatedly. True, I'm still missing notes, but this time I'm missing them because of my own stupidity.

However, I'm thinking about picking up Bandfuse as a supplement to Rocksmith. Even though the DLC development seems silent, I do like almost all the songs included with Bandfuse right off the bat.

But to compare the two, is Bandfuse worth having with cable at $20 for just the included songs and a different learning mechanic or should I just eventually put that towards RS2014 once I get better through original Rocksmith?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Bumming Your Scene posted:

10 more Muse songs

Works for me. :dealwithit:

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Popular theory on Reddit right now is that it's Sum 41.

See More Butts
Dec 29, 2004

I do not like music by gnomes.

Gimperial
Oct 5, 2006

And then there was silence...

For those who never held a guitar before Rocksmith, what's the first song you 100%'d? How long did it take? Second song?

Xaq
Nov 7, 2003
(Insert witty title here)

Gimperial posted:

For those who never held a guitar before Rocksmith, what's the first song you 100%'d? How long did it take? Second song?

I played as a teen and then put it down for 15+ years before Rocksmith made me pick it up again.

But to answer your question; Black Keys "Next Girl" Which is so stupid easy I got %100 purely by accident after playing it like three or four times. After that, The Ramones "Blitzkrieg Bop" which is also pretty easy but I'm not sure that counts because I knew how to play it when I was younger.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
To be fair Blitzkrieg Bop is easy to 100% because Rocksmith can only detect if your guitar/bass is outputting a note, not if you've strummed it at the right time. I've had 108% on that song for ages even though I'm only now hitting most of the notes.

My first 100% was Say It Ain't So with bass - it's pretty easy, but not so easy as to be totally dull.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Next girl is probably the easiest song to 100%. Satisfaction was probably a poor choice for first song in the first Rocksmith. Sure you can get the main part of the song really easily, but the solos are tricky. Pretty much any song that has that Black Keys/Jack White simple blues feel to it will be pretty easy.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I Can't Hear You is also dead simple, though don't blame me if you miss notes from getting into a solid groove.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Gimperial posted:

Just by Radiohead. I had been practicing most days of the week since the game came out, and then the Radiohead DLC came out Nov 22, and Steam says I got the 100% achievement March 20. So approximately 5 months of total guitar exposure to that point. No second 100% song yet because I've been less disciplined about driving to 100% songs. But Just is one of my favorites so I had no problem playing it over and over. Rhythm arrangement, btw.

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

Gimperial posted:

Take Me Out by Franz Ferdinand was my first 100%. Second song to hit 100% was Ghost by Clutch. I've never really made it a goal to ace any songs.

Nebraska Tim fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 1, 2014

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Oh also keep in mind I don't think there's any achievements for getting 100% notes in a song, that one is for 100% "mastery". If you pick something you're good at and the notes start to fade out on you, they'll start to give you extra mastery, which can put you at or over 100% overall for the song, which will get you the achievement.

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

It's down to you and me, you one-eyed freak.

JediTalentAgent posted:

But to compare the two, is Bandfuse worth having with cable at $20 for just the included songs and a different learning mechanic or should I just eventually put that towards RS2014 once I get better through original Rocksmith?

Bandfuse is a mess. It's not fun, and it's very limiting. There's no more DLC and the songs that are unique to Bandfuse will likely come to Rocksmith eventually.

It uses a scrolling standard-style tablature, but it moves so fast that it's hard to follow. It does have adaptable difficulty to an extent, but it's also separated into five actual difficulty levels that you pick before each song. The biggest problem I've found though, is that if you're playing on anything but the highest difficulty, you are forced to play rhythm, but on the highest difficulty you can choose to play lead. But there is no sort of adapting on the highest difficulty, it's all or nothing.

The "lessons" mostly consist of watching videos of guitarists showing off their skills and very little else.

It had some good ideas, but it's so poorly executed that it's not even worth it for the cable. I played it for maybe a week and went back to Rocksmith. Just put the $20 towards RS2014 unless you really REALLY want to play a Faith No More song.

The only real positives are that a few of the tones sound a lot better than Rocksmith's and it has a much better tuner.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Epsilon Plus posted:

To be fair Blitzkrieg Bop is easy to 100% because Rocksmith can only detect if your guitar/bass is outputting a note, not if you've strummed it at the right time. I've had 108% on that song for ages even though I'm only now hitting most of the notes.

My first 100% was Say It Ain't So with bass - it's pretty easy, but not so easy as to be totally dull.

I got Blitzkreig Bop to 97% (I'm doing rhythm if that makes any difference) and it never went any higher. The two I got past 100% are Paint It Black and Surrender (Also rhythm).

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Tasteful Bulge posted:

Bandfuse is a mess. It's not fun, and it's very limiting. There's no more DLC and the songs that are unique to Bandfuse will likely come to Rocksmith eventually.

Good to know what to sort of expect. It's now down to $10, so I'm probably going to risk it. It comes with a little audio output adapter for older 360s that, if nothing else, might be worth it just to have for using my HDMI and having the audio run from from my 360 straight into something other than my TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Gimperial posted:

Pretty sure my first 100% was Check My Brain. I love that song. And the bends made my fingers die, but it was so worth it.

Second was For A Fool. Not sure how long they took.