Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002

hellsjudge posted:

I know this is an old topic, but has anyone had success in forming a merchant republic in Ironman out of a feudal duchy?

I think the secret is making sure you are in MAX speed when the switch is supposed to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

So every time I've seen the spawn of Satan event chain happen to someone else, it ends with the child seizing power. What happens if the child is a woman and you're playing a Muslim nation? If I luck out I might be able to convert to Zoroastrianism before she takes over where the gender isn't so big a deal, but is the fact that Muslims can't have female rulers going to mess something up?

Women can become rulers as a last case scenario I believe. The problem is the successor won't be of their dynasty since matrilineal marriages don't exist (c'mon paradox add this for modding!)

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

Belasarius posted:

I think the secret is making sure you are in MAX speed when the switch is supposed to happen.

I can confirm this. The game must run some kind of check the moment you become a republic but being at max speed must skip it or something. I've tried the same process multiple times (in beta with SI enabled since that seems to be a sticking point for some people) but it only works when you set to max speed right before unpausing to wait for the surrender acceptance from the bishopric.

Even though I've been trying to create my own republic for a while until it finally worked, I'm not sure what the upside to it is other than futzing with the game mechanics just enough to do it (instead of, say, playing one of the ones already in existence. Maybe historical accuracy? Or inaccuracy perhaps? I like the idea of setting up a merchant republic in some small island backwater (Maldives, anyone?) and living fat on some paradise.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
People usually do it because all the trade republics at the start are concentrated in the same area of northern italy/southern germany. So if you wanna try someplace weird like scandanavia or India, you have to make your own.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

Women can become rulers as a last case scenario I believe. The problem is the successor won't be of their dynasty since matrilineal marriages don't exist (c'mon paradox add this for modding!)

They did add the ability to mod in matri marriages for religions, I think in the Rajas patch. In religions.txt, there is a setting that prohibits it on a religion by religion basis:

code:
		matrilineal_marriages = no
What is missing now is the ability to add them in for republics :(

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Techno Remix posted:

I can confirm this. The game must run some kind of check the moment you become a republic but being at max speed must skip it or something. I've tried the same process multiple times (in beta with SI enabled since that seems to be a sticking point for some people) but it only works when you set to max speed right before unpausing to wait for the surrender acceptance from the bishopric.

Even though I've been trying to create my own republic for a while until it finally worked, I'm not sure what the upside to it is other than futzing with the game mechanics just enough to do it (instead of, say, playing one of the ones already in existence. Maybe historical accuracy? Or inaccuracy perhaps? I like the idea of setting up a merchant republic in some small island backwater (Maldives, anyone?) and living fat on some paradise.

Could you link to or summarize how you create a republic in Ironman? I've tried searching around the Paradox forums and can't find a writeup :saddowns:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I want to play a game which positions me nicely for colonization in EU4, but I don't want to end up being one of the usual colonizing suspects like Portugal, Castille, France, and that lot. Who should I play/what should I aim for? I keep playing as Livonia, Jerusalem, the Latin Empire, etc., and while those are fun for CK2 they don't get to participate much in the exploration funtimes of EU4.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

SeaTard posted:

They did add the ability to mod in matri marriages for religions, I think in the Rajas patch. In religions.txt, there is a setting that prohibits it on a religion by religion basis:

code:
		matrilineal_marriages = no

Well technically it only works for the AI as it doesn't add the UI elements to let the player select them. And you'd still have to deal with the whole random tutor for female children that Muslim's have.

^^^: Norway specifically has some great NI's for colonization, and you get Iceland so you have a decent head start to the Americas, though you miss out on the Caribbean. Alternatively you could play as Andalusia, though that might be too close to a usual suspect.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Ofaloaf posted:

I want to play a game which positions me nicely for colonization in EU4, but I don't want to end up being one of the usual colonizing suspects like Portugal, Castille, France, and that lot. Who should I play/what should I aim for? I keep playing as Livonia, Jerusalem, the Latin Empire, etc., and while those are fun for CK2 they don't get to participate much in the exploration funtimes of EU4.

Norway wouldn't be bad, or Russia if you had Scandinavia/Iceland. I think they both have ideas that help colonization/expansion.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Ofaloaf posted:

Morocco

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Whoops wrong thread.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Ofaloaf posted:

Play as the little islands of West Africa build up your power and go from there.

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

Could you link to or summarize how you create a republic in Ironman? I've tried searching around the Paradox forums and can't find a writeup :saddowns:

I originally got it from this thread I think, link to the Paradox forums where they discussed it is here:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?775515-Is-it-possible-to-become-a-republic-on-ironman-mode

Since it kind of gets hidden in there, here's the gist.

1) Make sure you control a duchy but only one coastal county
2) Land your heir to a city in that county (revoking it from the current mayor if you have to, should be a 100% success rate)
3) Attempt to imprison the religious leader in your county's bishopric until he raises his flag in rebellion
4) Do the same thing to your heir until he raises his flag in rebellion
5) Pause the game, raise the game speed to max, then offer to surrender to the bishopric
6) Unpause, watch the game fly, and once your offer of surrender goes through the game with switch you over to republic mode

If you don't set the speed to max, the game must do some kind of check immediately after you become a republic and come up with the instant "You lose!" window. Being on max speed must blow past that check and automatically create new patrician families for you to begin your new trade empire somewhere. I've only tried this on the Atlantic and Mediterranean side of the map so I don't know for certain if it works in the Indian Ocean or the Black Sea.

Hope this works for you. I get the impression that it's kind of a finicky process so give it a couple whirls and see if it works for you.

Fake edit: You'll see by my post history that I am anything but an expert in CK2 so if I've misspoke, my bad.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

Navarra's pretty interesting as a crazy althist colonizer, or you could go with one of my favourites, Ivar the Boneless takes Ireland + The Isles and Galloway. Andalusia is another one. I've always wanted to do a Venice colonial game, and actually had a really great CKII Venice game going when ROI broke the save.

And something I've never tried, but could work, is to just play as whoever you want, but make sure that you control Iceland in 1450. That should probably give you the colony range you need to reach North America before anybody else, but I don't know for sure.

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

Azuth0667 posted:

Ah okay I didn't know that how do I launch a prepared invasion because I'd like to do that to Norway since they've consolidated?

It's on the diplomacy menu, second from the bottom. I don't think it will work if Norway is still Norse though.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

SeaTard posted:

I like to play the matrilineal marriage game as a noble but being able to force one on everyone you can invite as a patrician is so overpowered, both in term of survival and to get claims on everything, with all the money you make as a republic, it's like a pure world conquest by marriage engine. On the other hand, I admit i wouldn't mind a pure matriarchic succession system in game for some fantasy mods.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Techno Remix posted:

You can choose your culture, religion, and starting zone. Other cultures let you have different retinues. Other religions may give you useful special features like extra wives/concubines for more sons, norse raiding for cash and prestige, or defensive bonuses, etc.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
If you really badly wanted to play a republic in a really bizarre place wouldn't that be fairly trivial to just mod in?

Talky
Mar 26, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If you really badly wanted to play a republic in a really bizarre place wouldn't that be fairly trivial to just mod in?

It is super easy to do this just by creating a new one in-game and reloading as them, or with a mod or even just the cheat console. The problem is that you can't do any of that and still have the save be ironman, so that's no good if you really want both ironman and an ahistorical merchant republic.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Look, sometimes you really need that achievement fix.

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

For me it's always been a bit more about fussing with the game mechanics and making it do things it wasn't necessarily supposed to do. It's why I'm a huge fan of all those "Let's Break X" LPs.

But yes, cheating one in is also an easy way to do it.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Talky posted:

It is super easy to do this just by creating a new one in-game and reloading as them, or with a mod or even just the cheat console. The problem is that you can't do any of that and still have the save be ironman, so that's no good if you really want both ironman and an ahistorical merchant republic.

You can still play Ironman, you'll just be ineligible for achievements if the game's modded.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

AdjectiveNoun posted:

You can still play Ironman, you'll just be ineligible for achievements if the game's modded.

But I need my cheevos, man.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
How does it work exactly if you are a Merchant Republic, is there a limit to how many Feudal vassals you have, etc? Or other stuff like that? I know there are some weird limits if you are Feudal on Republic or Religious vassals. I'm one of the guilty ones that used to have entirely clerical vassals.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Belasarius posted:

How does it work exactly if you are a Merchant Republic, is there a limit to how many Feudal vassals you have, etc? Or other stuff like that? I know there are some weird limits if you are Feudal on Republic or Religious vassals. I'm one of the guilty ones that used to have entirely clerical vassals.

There's no limit to feudal vassals, though I wish there was because I have way too many feudal dukes.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002

Knuc U Kinte posted:

There's no limit to feudal vassals, though I wish there was because I have way too many feudal dukes.

Can you also have unlimited MR vassals a MR?

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee
Is there any way to un-vassalize a Pope if you're not Catholic? I took his last holdings and he was auto given a bishopric in the HRE capital.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

DStecks posted:

Navarra's pretty interesting as a crazy althist colonizer, or you could go with one of my favourites, Ivar the Boneless takes Ireland + The Isles and Galloway. Andalusia is another one. I've always wanted to do a Venice colonial game, and actually had a really great CKII Venice game going when ROI broke the save.

Thanks to this I've given a go at Navarra in a roundabout way today, starting as the Duke of Toulouse in 1205, marrying into the Navarrese royal family, pushing a claim, and then once King of Navarra I built off that to also become King of Aquitaine. That's created a fun, weird little realm to mess with, but this game has been producing a lot of weird things:

The Plantagenet King of England is a Cathar.

e: oh god

check the vassals

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 2, 2014

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
That was pretty hilarious all of my annoying vassals were busy with their factionalism and plots but, when I decided it was time for a great holy war against Alba they all fell in line. I didn't expect them to fall all over themselves to come and help. Is there a way for me to get them stop being dicks and playing musical factions? Also what's the best way to increase my economic strength quickly? Its 1001 and I'm only getting a measly 15/month from my holdings while controlling Alba and the Empire of Scandinavia.

Unfortunately the HRE managed to form and my stabbing of Karlings concentrated all of the titles on another family which made the HRE. So I guess the goal is still getting strong enough to kill the HRE.

Mercurial
Mar 28, 2006

Elixirs are expensive, you know.
The Pope will totally call crusades against heretics. In one of my Cathar games, the Pope called two crusades for England on me and one on Germany after I'd successfully converted the queen.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I also seen the pope call a crusade on france after one of my relatives I installed there wemt Lollard

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Robindaybird posted:

I also seen the pope call a crusade on france after one of my relatives I installed there wemt Lollard

He also called a crusade against the Cathar Hungarians in a game of mine, I had to ship a ton of troops from Alba and siege Rome to have it called off.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
It kind of sucks that I never have heresy events happen except when I'm playing a zealous character.

Also I just had my first taste of the Karling clusterfuck. Guys, I completely dig that you don't like having a bunch of howling Norsemen hanging around in Holland but was it really necessary to call down the whole of Europe on my head?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

paranoid randroid posted:

It kind of sucks that I never have heresy events happen except when I'm playing a zealous character.

You get plenty if you set your Court Chaplain to research cultural tech, in my experience

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Ofaloaf posted:

check the vassals

Conversely, let me introduce the new Grandmaster of the Knights Templar:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
Is there a way to extend diplo range? It would be nice as Socotra to interact with India as I quickly run out of people to holy war in Africa. Also if that drat cultural research would come up with Messalianism quickly that would be nice. :( I'm filling my court with zealous nestorians.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

That's pretty good. Though in my current Zoro game, the Sunni Caliph is a vassal of the Shia Caliph. (The Shia Caliph is now also white due to taking over France.) I...kind of don't know what's going on there.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Azuth0667 posted:

That was pretty hilarious all of my annoying vassals were busy with their factionalism and plots but, when I decided it was time for a great holy war against Alba they all fell in line. I didn't expect them to fall all over themselves to come and help. Is there a way for me to get them stop being dicks and playing musical factions? Also what's the best way to increase my economic strength quickly? Its 1001 and I'm only getting a measly 15/month from my holdings while controlling Alba and the Empire of Scandinavia.

Unfortunately the HRE managed to form and my stabbing of Karlings concentrated all of the titles on another family which made the HRE. So I guess the goal is still getting strong enough to kill the HRE.

If you've converted to Catholicism vassalizing the Pope is a shitload of money. Other options are making vassal republics and also raising taxes. I typically prefer having max taxes for cities and churches with minimal levies to counter the -20 opinion. I also typically only build cities whenever I can and make sure they're coastal for the ports.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Brandfarlig posted:

If you've converted to Catholicism vassalizing the Pope is a shitload of money. Other options are making vassal republics and also raising taxes. I typically prefer having max taxes for cities and churches with minimal levies to counter the -20 opinion. I also typically only build cities whenever I can and make sure they're coastal for the ports.

Does it make a difference whether I build a city or a church when I'm the head of the Norse faith? Also to make a republic I have to build a city and give it to a relative and give them a county right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Im playing my first muslin game (started as Emir of Alexandria, currently King of Nubia) and among the differences I noticed is that my realm seems a lot more stable: much less trouble with revolts and factions (comparing with my previous game, when I played Russia). And decadence is easy enough to keep in check.

At the same time, it does seems like kingslaying is the number 1 sport in the realm. I had one ruler die of illness, all the others were murdered. Perhaps a side effect of having lots of wives?

Also, how can I create the Ibadi caliphate? I converted to it just to do that, but now I have no idea how to (and there is no Ibadi caliph in the world right now). Do I have to get an empire first? Im King of Nubia and Abyssinia, and I have all the provinces of the de-jure Abyssinia Empire except 3, but still no option to create the title.

• Locked thread