Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Alteisen posted:

All depends if Sakurai is working on it or not.

I think you mean Sakamoto. Their names aren't THAT similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Sakurai would probably make a pretty good Metroid game.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think you mean Sakamoto. Their names aren't THAT similar.

Uhh yea that, I should probably not still be up at 5am. :sweatdrop:

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

It'd be hard to make a worse Metroid than Sakamoto did. But yeah Sakurai would probably do a great one, and going by Kid Icarus: Uprising he can actually write pretty well by video game standards as well.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Supercar Gautier posted:

The tough part for Nintendo is that a lot of attentive gamers have likely decided they'll just pick it up some time down the road when it's super cheap, and then go through the back catalog. They might be interested in several of the games, but not interested enough to pay the current full price right now. It takes a spike of strong interest to subvert that and convince them to impulse-buy, not a steady trickle.

It takes Nintendo convincing people that the console is healthy and viable in the long term, which takes a steady supply of strong interest, not a spike.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I dunno, I think they are hosed at this point, regardless of quality titles. The Gamepad is not a hook, it isn't drawing anyone in and the Wiimotes aren't either. Without them you have to rely on games but Nintendo is never going to match up with the quantity of third party games going to the PS4One. At this point their only goals should be to have a "respectable" third place this gen with ultimately satisfied fans and a drat good plan for the Wii V.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The two friends I have that bought MK8 called it "Just another mario kart" and didn't feel all that excited about it, so I'm not sure if it's going to be the saviour of the Wii U that people expect.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Broken Cog posted:

The two friends I have that bought MK8 called it "Just another mario kart" and didn't feel all that excited about it, so I'm not sure if it's going to be the saviour of the Wii U that people expect.

You lack friends, liar.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Then again I don't know what "just another mario kart" means. thanks for the explanation.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Cliff Racer posted:

I dunno, I think they are hosed at this point, regardless of quality titles. The Gamepad is not a hook, it isn't drawing anyone in and the Wiimotes aren't either. Without them you have to rely on games but Nintendo is never going to match up with the quantity of third party games going to the PS4One. At this point their only goals should be to have a "respectable" third place this gen with ultimately satisfied fans and a drat good plan for the Wii V.

The next Nintendo console will probably be named Wii2 or WiiII for extra added confusion.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Your Friend posted:

Then again I don't know what "just another mario kart" means. thanks for the explanation.

Take it for what you want, I didn't bother to dig that much. They did seem to think it's a good game, though, just nothing revolutionary.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Boiled Water posted:

The next Nintendo console will probably be named Wii2 or WiiII for extra added confusion.

Wii U U

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Your Friend posted:

it means 'exactly what 99% of mario kart fans are looking for in a game'

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

IronicDongz posted:

it means 'exactly what 99% of mario kart fans are looking for in a game'

Which might be connected to the problem that the Wii U is not dragging in new users.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Boiled Water posted:

Call it "N vii"

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Wii U2, with its flagship title Super Smash Bono.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nintendo should just hire Iga to do the next Metroid.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Nintendo and Konami should team up and literally make Metroidvania.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Supercar Gautier posted:

The tough part for Nintendo is that a lot of attentive gamers have likely decided they'll just pick it up some time down the road when it's super cheap, and then go through the back catalog. They might be interested in several of the games, but not interested enough to pay the current full price right now. It takes a spike of strong interest to subvert that and convince them to impulse-buy, not a steady trickle.

This describes me to a T. I scooped up a GameCube for practically nothing recently knowing there were probably six games or so I wanted to play on it. I had a great time, but it didn't motivate me to spend 300 on a WiiU. If anything, it made me think of how much fun I'll get out of the $100 I'll spend on a WiiU with MK8, SM3DW, and W101 in about two years. I spend a decent amount of money on video games but Nintendo just has never made a compelling case for me to buy their products now rather than later.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

zenintrude posted:

Nintendo and Konami should team up and literally make Metroidvania.

Portrait of Chozo Ruins.

"Jonathan! Charlotte! Samus! The baby! Jonathan! Charlotte! Samus! The baby!"

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

greatn posted:

There at some pretty good burns to be had though, mainly that there is no invite system so you have to either plan ahead or outside of the system itself, and voice chat only in the lobby. I understand and agree with voice chat only with friends, but why only the lobby?

Why even bother having online MP at this point? The only reason this seems excusable is because people set their standards for Nintendo so low. It's weird that Nintendo seemingly gets the idea of playing anonymous strangers but has over looked that just maybe I'd want to play Mario Kart with friends over the internet.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Call it "N vii"

'cause it's the 7th one. GET IT?? :smith:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

AngryCaterpillar posted:

'cause it's the 7th one. GET IT?? :smith:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I feel like MK8's sales aren't matching up to the anecdotal evidence, because with some AAA titles, when they do an amazing opening day or opening weekend, it's usually reported/bragged about immediately. And Nintendo loves to brag about sales when they're good. They'd say something like "fastest selling Mario Kart ever!" even if it was only selling to Wii U's constituents.

The thing is, even if a bunch of people in Wii U thread say "oh a friend finally bought a Wii U", those friends could all belong to the same niche of people, so maybe it only means an increase of 50,000 console sales for the month.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Quest For Glory II posted:

I feel like MK8's sales aren't matching up to the anecdotal evidence, because with some AAA titles, when they do an amazing opening day or opening weekend, it's usually reported/bragged about immediately. And Nintendo loves to brag about sales when they're good. They'd say something like "fastest selling Mario Kart ever!" even if it was only selling to Wii U's constituents.

The thing is, even if a bunch of people in Wii U thread say "oh a friend finally bought a Wii U", those friends could all belong to the same niche of people, so maybe it only means an increase of 50,000 console sales for the month.

But you see, Mario Kart 8 will have legs and boost sales FOREVER!

This game is going to sell worse than Double Dash.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Boiled Water posted:

THey named the third Wii the Nintendo One.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Fulchrum posted:

THey named the third Wii the Nintendo One.

The Wah Way Wii Woah Woo.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

I still think it would be okay.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Oh hey I found the Amazon best sellers for May. Mario Kart ended up in 4th, just nudging out the PS4 version of Watch Dogs. Pretty good!

Watch Dogs is almost certainly still the better seller overall, though, since it's got the 5th, 7th, 30th, and 32nd spots on the chart plus whatever the limited editions sold. Would be nice if Amazon had an option to consolidate the different SKUs but whatever, this poo poo is probably meaningless anyway.

Should be getting some European charts tomorrow morning and Japanese numbers on Wednesday for some actual data.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Stop giving a gently caress about Amazon sales charts.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Broken Cog posted:

It really is just another Mario Kart, and if it weren't a Nintendo game people would be saying it should have just been DLC for Mario Kart Wii, or like MK Wii Season 2. But it's really good DLC and it's a lot better than Mario Kart Wii. And it gives me something new to play on my Wii U which loving rules because I really do like the system, I wanna use it more. It's nice to finally buy a new game on it outside of the Christmas season.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

greatn posted:

Stop giving a gently caress about Amazon sales charts.

Thanks for the input!

Crowbear posted:

Would be nice if Amazon had an option to consolidate the different SKUs but whatever, this poo poo is probably meaningless anyway.

Should be getting some European charts tomorrow morning and Japanese numbers on Wednesday for some actual data.

NPD always consolidate, I think MCV and Chart-Track do as well.

Watch_Dogs on PS4 is probably the most popular version and it's selling to a bigger audience so MK outselling that is a good result.

Decent number of reviews complaining on Amazon jp about the minimap, the GamePad not being used enough, battle mode, item balance, etc. Pretty much the same as in this thread, but with less angry Wii U owners shouting them down. It looks like they've sold shitloads of copies though so it probably doesn't matter? It's possible bad word of mouth could take the legendary long tail away but unlikely.

On the other hand, the type of person that made the Wii a bananas success didn't post on the internet about it; assuming the game isn't selling well because goons aren't talking about it could be a mistake!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Was Mario kart 8 available digitally? Watch dogs is and I imagine a significant number of people bought digitally on ps4.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Ineffiable posted:

Was Mario kart 8 available digitally?

It was, yeah.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

There should be a Wii U Smash bundle that comes with the LAN adapter, GC adapter, and maybe a controller or the actual game.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

greatn posted:

Stop giving a gently caress about sales charts.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Maybe you'll hear something when PR departments actually work: aka Not The Weekend.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

deadwing posted:

Maybe you'll hear something when PR departments actually work: aka Not The Weekend.

It's Monday in Japan.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

It's Monday in Japan.

Yeah, and it's also 5 AM. I don't think MK8 blew the doors off sales-wise, I doubt it beat the PS4 version of Watch Dogs, let alone all SKUs combined. But to assume that it's doing poorly because Nintendo hasn't issued a press release about sales over the weekend is pretty silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

gay skull posted:

It really is just another Mario Kart, and if it weren't a Nintendo game people would be saying it should have just been DLC for Mario Kart Wii, or like MK Wii Season 2. But it's really good DLC and it's a lot better than Mario Kart Wii. And it gives me something new to play on my Wii U which loving rules because I really do like the system, I wanna use it more. It's nice to finally buy a new game on it outside of the Christmas season.

Oh, I'm sure it's a good game. Nintendo has a rep for usually releasing games that are both polished and "safe". The question is if it's good or unique enough to be a system seller.

When/How do people usually check Wii U sales by the way? Would be interesting to see if the MK8 release had a noticeable effect on sales.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 1, 2014

• Locked thread