Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've overheated my phone a couple times, let it cool off and it came back no issues. My guess is the hardware is fine but maybe the phone hosed up and corrupted a file when it went into panic mode.

Or maybe she just got really unlucky and something melted. Sticking it in an enclosed space when hot may not have been the best move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Holy gently caress-$270 for a new screen on the 5s? I remember the old iPhones being something like $100.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

nwin posted:

Holy gently caress-$270 for a new screen on the 5s? I remember the old iPhones being something like $100.

It was $149 for a new display for 3G, 3GS, 5, 5c phones. It's $269 because the whole phone has to be replaced since Apple isn't making separate displays for iPhone 5s repairs.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

1997 posted:

It was $149 for a new display for 3G, 3GS, 5, 5c phones. It's $269 because the whole phone has to be replaced since Apple isn't making separate displays for iPhone 5s repairs.

Yeah-I guess shame on me for not knowing that. I'm either going to tape it or look around for cheaper third party options I think. Anyone have suggestions?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

I've overheated my phone a couple times, let it cool off and it came back no issues. My guess is the hardware is fine but maybe the phone hosed up and corrupted a file when it went into panic mode.

Or maybe she just got really unlucky and something melted. Sticking it in an enclosed space when hot may not have been the best move.

It wasn't hot when she put it away. I'd guess that whatever she was using didn't close or sleep when she put it in her purse so it was running something full bore. My Android phone does this all the time.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

nwin posted:

Yeah-I guess shame on me for not knowing that. I'm either going to tape it or look around for cheaper third party options I think. Anyone have suggestions?

If you live in a large-ish city you should be able to look up someone who does screen repair. Just google "<city name> iphone 5 screen repair".

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Goetta posted:

I can't get into the phone OS at all. When I plug it in to a computer I get the Apple boot logo then it dumps me straight into recovery mode. When I tell it to restore it reboots the phone into the Apple logo screen, goes to a blank screen (I assume this is DFU mode), then reboots back into recovery and spits out an error message. The phone is completely non-responsive if it isn't plugged in, like it doesn't have a battery or something.

My wife just said that she wasn't actually using the phone when it gave her the temperature warning, she had just put it back in her purse and it beeped at her a few minutes afterwards. So that is pretty weird.

If you're near an Apple Store I'd bring it in even if it isn't under warranty still.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Goetta posted:

It wasn't hot when she put it away. I'd guess that whatever she was using didn't close or sleep when she put it in her purse so it was running something full bore. My Android phone does this all the time.

I wouldn't think so, in my experience iOS is pretty good about killing stuff off when it goes into panic mode. Like the last time I overheated, when I restarted apps later I got an apology notice that the app had crashed and offered to send a crash report.

I think that means iOS is pretty ruthless about saving itself.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I had a nice Apple Store experience today. I was running some errands/shopping in Georgetown and needed to get a new iPad charger and an Airport Express and figured I'd see if they could do anything about the dust under the camera lens on my 5s. I didn't have an appointment but they took it right in to blow it out. A bit later the lady comes back and says when they reassembled it, the screen wasn't registering touches and they were going to redo it. They did and it still didn't work, so they replaced it with a refurb and threw in the charger and a case for free for having to wait around so long. Still had to pay for the Airport but I'm not gonna complain other than that I prefer the ones that plug right into the outlet.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Boiled Water posted:

If you live in a large-ish city you should be able to look up someone who does screen repair. Just google "<city name> iphone 5 screen repair".

Yeah that's what I'm going to do-only problem is I'm on vacation now. Do you guys think it would work if I bought something like an otterbox for now, just to keep anything else from happening/glass falling out? Or would you just tape it until I could get it fixed? The temp repair would probably have to last a few weeks until I can get up to boston.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Put a cheap screen protector on it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Put a cheap screen protector on it.

Or a strip of packing tape. The cheapest screen protector of all.

Speaking of screen protectors, has anyone tried those zagg glass screen protectors? I think I'll get one after my monoprice thing is done.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Could the "LED Flash for Alerts" under accessibility settings have non-negligible impact on battery life? My fiancée drains her 5s more than what seems normal, and I'm wondering if that's a factor because she texts a lot. I see her phone flashing all the time.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

tuyop posted:

Or a strip of packing tape. The cheapest screen protector of all.

Speaking of screen protectors, has anyone tried those zagg glass screen protectors? I think I'll get one after my monoprice thing is done.

I haven't used zagg, but I have used Spigen and (currently) Moshi glass screen protectors and cannot recommend them enough. You don't have to worry about your screen getting scratched yet still have the look and feel of the original screen, and they're definitely more durable than regular screen protectors. I've had this Moshi one on for around 5 months and it looks as good as it did the day I put it on.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So, WWDC tomorrow and practically no rumors apart from that ugly dummy that made its rounds. I suppose no larger iPhone anytime soon, then?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Not until fall like the last 3 iPhones, no.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

So, WWDC tomorrow and practically no rumors apart from that ugly dummy that made its rounds. I suppose no larger iPhone anytime soon, then?
iPhone won't be announced until the fall.

It's unfortunate that people complain that product announcements aren't surprising anymore while simultaneously clamoring for leaks.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Goetta posted:

iOS is pretty draconian about 3rd party processes as xzzy said; generally only allowed to run 10 minutes after the screen is closed with some exceptions. Having said that I have had my phone heat up unexpectedly (on a charger while driving but already at 100% when getting in car and went away after reboot), but that was iOS 7.0 which had more than its share of OS bugs. I was guessing stuck iOS process, not app.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

maduin posted:

Not until fall like the last 3 iPhones, no.
Oh ok. For some reason, I had the impression that it happened at WWDC.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Combat Pretzel posted:

WWDC is software stuff. You'll surely be disappointed if you go in expecting something revolutionary announced.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

WWDC is software stuff. You'll surely be disappointed if you go in expecting something revolutionary announced.

Honestly this kind of thing may be my favorite bit about WWDC. All the tech pundits complaining about how there were no new revolutionary products and only stuff developers would really care about at the Developers Conference.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

WWDC thread is up for tomorrow.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Whirlwind Jones posted:

You'll surely be disappointed if you go in expecting something revolutionary announced.
Maybe they've something unique for iOS 8.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Probably not, after iOS 7 they'll be wanting to do a refinement release, both in terms of UI, backend, and development kit.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Combat Pretzel posted:

Maybe they've something unique for iOS 8.
Healthbook should be interesting to see how they approach it, but without any solid info on the hardware side (biometrics stuff) it'll be kind of hard to really get a grasp on it.

Honestly I'm most excited for the supposed "visual overhaul" of OSX. I've got no issues with it now but I'm wondering how far they'll push the bar (iOS 7) or if it'll be more of a gradual thing.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Whirlwind Jones posted:

WWDC is software stuff.

This may well end up being true in practice, and I definitely don't expect new iPhones or iPads to be announced tomorrow, but it's certainly not the rule. They used to announce new iPhones at WWDC, and they've announced new Mac hardware plenty of times. Apple will announce anything they're ready to announce, whether it's software or hardware.

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:
Is there a consensus best & cheapest replacement 30 pin-USB cable? DX.com seems to be out of the 30 pin game, amazon.ca has one for 97 cents but the reviews are universally terrible. Meritline has them, but if I'm going to spend the lofty sum of $4 USD, i'd like to know I'm buying the Cadillac of $4 30 pin cables.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I think you can do one better. Monoprice has the king of all 30-pin cables at $7.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've had a bunch of Monoprice 30-pin cables over the years and can vouch for their quality.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Goetta posted:

My wife was using her iPhone 5 looking at Twitter or something non-intensive and she got a 'phone too hot' warning (which has never happened) and an immediate shutoff. She let it cool and tried restarted it and nothing happened. We let it sit in the charger overnight and tried it again this morning and nothing. I plugged into our Macbook and put it into recovery. The recovery screen pops up and it tries to recover but iTunes generates a 2001 error and the phone still won't boot. I installed iTunes on my PC and now instead get a 21 error but with the same results. I tried putting it into DFU mode and get the same error.

Is there anything else I can do or should I assume it is probably hosed?

The resolution to this (if anyone cares) is that the phone is dead. The Genius Bar people couldn't diagnosis it because they couldn't get any sort of readable connection into it to check for errors. It was out of warranty and not worth actually opening up and investigating, so it has been labeled as a generic hardware failure.

At least broken 5s seem to have decent resale value on eBay.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

So I dropped my iPhone and I need to provide Asurion the IMEI with my claim.

Since the screen doesn't turn on at all and since I have never hooked it up to my computer to back it up, I have no way of getting the IMEI. I have the original box but I had to get a replacement due to warranty so that's not the correct IMEI.

Any ideas? I would think that iCloud or the My Verizon site would have that info but nope.

Also, I want to switch back to my Android phone but since I can't turn off the imessage from my iPhone I won't be able to receive any text messages from my iPhone friends right? How can I work around that?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Since the screen doesn't turn on at all and since I have never hooked it up to my computer to back it up, I have no way of getting the IMEI. I have the original box but I had to get a replacement due to warranty so that's not the correct IMEI.

Any ideas? I would think that iCloud or the My Verizon site would have that info but nope.

Also, I want to switch back to my Android phone but since I can't turn off the imessage from my iPhone I won't be able to receive any text messages from my iPhone friends right? How can I work around that?

If it connects through iTunes, you can find it there.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4061

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

5/5s/5c have the IMEI printed on the back of the phone. 4 and 4s have it printed on the SIM tray. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4061

e: f,b

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

kitten smoothie posted:

5/5s/5c have the IMEI printed on the back of the phone. 4 and 4s have it printed on the SIM tray. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4061

e: f,b

Oh gosh I'm dumb I just assumed right away it was like all the older iPhones.

Any ideas on the iMessage thing though?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Oh gosh I'm dumb I just assumed right away it was like all the older iPhones.

Any ideas on the iMessage thing though?

You'll probably have to contact Apple support and see what they can do.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Is there a collection of tips somewhere for reducing data usage for those on limited data plans? I've done a few basic things like turning off push where I can and limiting music/app downloads to WiFi but would love to learn new ways to save on data. I also am using DataMan which is a fantastic app but isn't the Pro version that lets me have more fine-grained data on what apps are being data hogs.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
How tight of a data plan are you on?

Most are 2 gigs which you shouldn't ever go over unless you're streaming music / videos often.

Casual browsing and Facebook usage isn't really going to impact your data limit within a month.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I'm on a 5GB plan – I stream a ton of music. The more I scrimp on other data usage the more music I can stream.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

terre packet posted:

I'm on a 5GB plan – I stream a ton of music. The more I scrimp on other data usage the more music I can stream.
Settings->Cellular shows data usage by app, might help narrow down whatever can be narrowed down at least. And turn off high quality streaming if possible in the apps you're using (if you haven't done that already).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
I'm looking to buy some lightning cables since I always seem to be short a few. What's the goon consensus on what the best one is?

I've found a few myself:

- Amazonbasics, 14$
http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...lightning+cable

- Monoprice, 12$
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=112&cp_id=11213&cs_id=1083101&p_id=10374&seq=1&format=2

Of course there's cheaper stuff as well, but my experience with those is pretty bad. What's the best one?

• Locked thread