Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

So apparently while praying at the Sunlight Altar you are completely invincible from any PVP attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

ACTION AMERICAN posted:

I've run into a bit of a philosophical conundrum regarding Bluecop invasions. Say I crush an orb, and I get summoned to the belltowers. Am I justified in hunting down the bellbros first, or does my mark take precedence? In essence, is it more important to deliver retribution to crimes past, or to stop crimes currently in progress? However, if Drangleic allows "stand your ground" laws, then the bellkeepers are perfectly justified in defending their property...

Don't know if it helps but any phantom, gray or red or purple or whatever, that doesn't drop everything to try to kill you is a narc.

So you could go for the host, if you want to cooperate with fuckin narcs.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
In the Undead Crypt where you can light the fire that sets off all the other big hanging fires to reveal the Beksinski tribute, can you go down there and explore or is it just a pretty scene for the player to find?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Dual caestus run is lots of fun and not that difficult. The worst part is the wonky as poo poo hitboxes, goddamn From.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The red phantoms with great lightning spear at the start of the gutter next to the exploding mummies that can evade hexes are a real dick move, From.

e: Oh good they can just randomly ignore ALL magic. Soul spear will clip right through them sometimes. And they do 90% of my hp a hit. It's amazing how NG+ went from nothing special to a real asskicker right at Brightstone.

e: Oh my god it's actually sunlight spear From you bastards. Wait this is the firekeeper's set. That's strange.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 1, 2014

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

kazil posted:

The good ol' days of the thread :allears:

but it's none of those...

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Amana is what happened when they tried to port a bullet hell game into the engine.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So those phantoms dropped a dingy set, a soul of a great hero, and another thing I can't recall or find. Can someone help me out with what it was? Or am I mistaken?

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

VisAbsoluta posted:

Dual caestus run is lots of fun and not that difficult. The worst part is the wonky as poo poo hitboxes, goddamn From.

Royal Rat Authority is the worst about this. Only being able to lock onto his head is really obnoxious. I wish they'd come to realize that actually fighting things without lock on is kind of terrible.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

RBA Starblade posted:

So those phantoms dropped a dingy set, a soul of a great hero, and another thing I can't recall or find. Can someone help me out with what it was? Or am I mistaken?

As far as I know that's what her and her Faraam buddy drop only.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Schwack posted:

Royal Rat Authority is the worst about this. Only being able to lock onto his head is really obnoxious. I wish they'd come to realize that actually fighting things without lock on is kind of terrible.

RRA is like they took Sif and went out of their way to take anything that made that fight interesting and/or memorable and strip it away.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

neetengie posted:

As far as I know that's what her and her Faraam buddy drop only.

My mistake then, I was still fighting the Faraam guy so I didn't really see what she dropped.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Schwack posted:

Er, no it isn't? It's not hard to just free aim your poo poo.

Tracula posted:

RRA is like they took Sif and went out of their way to take anything that made that fight interesting and/or memorable and strip it away.

Because anime sword wolf is better than rotten puke dog. Sif is pathetic if you have a decent stability shield or stay close, RRA is not (well he can be cheesed a little by staying close, but he's a bit better about leaping away than sif was).

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Genocyber posted:

Because anime sword wolf is better than rotten puke dog.

Yes, it is. And no bullshit trash to deal with every time before the fight.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Genocyber posted:

Because anime sword wolf is better than rotten puke dog. Sif is pathetic if you have a decent stability shield or stay close, RRA is not (well he can be cheesed a little by staying close, but he's a bit better about leaping away than sif was).
Yeah I dunno, I have the opposite experience with these two bosses. Both are easy, but Sif is way better at keeping a distance and is just a way cooler design.
Rat Authority is just yet another rat. Only this time its big and you fight it exactly like you'd fight Sif except for his annoying rats you'll always have to take care of first.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Genocyber posted:

Er, no it isn't? It's not hard to just free aim your poo poo.

I knew there would be a requisite 'git gud' comment!

Free aiming in this series has always been really finicky and it's pretty clearly not setup for that to be the main method of play. If you aren't using something with a broad swing, getting a hit in is the entirety of the challenge. Otherwise, he telegraphs everything he does and is crazy boring. It's especially noticeable on such a twitchy boss like RRA whose attack points constantly bobble around as he's swinging at air. There's really no reason not to have each of his legs be a lock on point.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
The secret of RRA is that he's the second easiest boss in the entire franchise but also has some moderately annoying trash mobs to take your attention from it. The only reason he's hard is because he does about 3 times more damage than he deserves to for something whose attack animations consist entirely of 'snuggle you kinda roughly'.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
RRA is really cool and I enjoyed the fight.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Royal rat authority isn't a rat. Its a dog. Its a terrier which is a rat killing dog.

Do you understand now?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

IGgy IGsen posted:

Yeah I dunno, I have the opposite experience with these two bosses. Both are easy, but Sif is way better at keeping a distance and is just a way cooler design.
Rat Authority is just yet another rat. Only this time its big and you fight it exactly like you'd fight Sif except for his annoying rats you'll always have to take care of first.

It's not a rat at all? It's a wolf/dog that's rotting. The rats are pretty silly; it'd be better if it started out none and added them as the fight goes on, forcing you to kill them quickly before they swarm, or something.

Schwack posted:

I knew there would be a requisite 'git gud' comment!

Free aiming in this series has always been really finicky and it's pretty clearly not setup for that to be the main method of play. If you aren't using something with a broad swing, getting a hit in is the entirety of the challenge. Otherwise, he telegraphs everything he does and is crazy boring. It's especially noticeable on such a twitchy boss like RRA whose attack points constantly bobble around as he's swinging at air. There's really no reason not to have each of his legs be a lock on point.

No it's not. Free aiming is not hard. If you have something with a very narrow hitbox, such as a thrusting sword, it's going to be more difficult yes, and that is the point. That's why you carry around multiple weapons.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

RBA Starblade posted:

The red phantoms with great lightning spear at the start of the gutter next to the exploding mummies that can evade hexes are a real dick move, From.

e: Oh good they can just randomly ignore ALL magic. Soul spear will clip right through them sometimes. And they do 90% of my hp a hit. It's amazing how NG+ went from nothing special to a real asskicker right at Brightstone.

e: Oh my god it's actually sunlight spear From you bastards. Wait this is the firekeeper's set. That's strange.

Those two phantoms may well have been the hardest fight in the game for me. They both have way too much HP, you fight them in water, and the priest literally never runs out of Sunlight Spears.

I pretty much won by accident when Faraam guy did a jumping R2 at me when the priest was right behind me. He flattened his own team mate when I rolled. I didn't even know friendly fire like that was possible.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

argondamn posted:

So apparently while praying at the Sunlight Altar you are completely invincible from any PVP attacks.
On the other hand, you can't join the Sunbros if there are people in your world :eng99:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Thanks Kild for giving your life so that I might beat this horse to a pulp

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

I pretty much won by accident when Faraam guy did a jumping R2 at me when the priest was right behind me. He flattened his own team mate when I rolled. I didn't even know friendly fire like that was possible.
Oh, it's possible.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Rude.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The jumps in Black Gulch are awful. Thanks for not fixing your collision detection since the crystal caves, From.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

The jumps in Black Gulch are awful. Thanks for not fixing your collision detection since the crystal caves, From.

What jumps? If you mean the ledges you literally just need to drop down. There's never a need to jump in that area.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

...What jumps? You step off a ledge three times total.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Genocyber posted:

What jumps? If you mean the ledges you literally just need to drop down. There's never a need to jump in that area.

Pretty sure he's talking about the pots in the room with the elevator cage. Otherwise I can't think of anything in the zone with jumps.

e: And I'm not 100% sure you need to jump to get to the pots, it's just what I did.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Do you like Dork Souls? I like Dork Souls.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Daerc posted:

Pretty sure he's talking about the pots in the room with the elevator cage. Otherwise I can't think of anything in the zone with jumps.

e: And I'm not 100% sure you need to jump to get to the pots, it's just what I did.

No need to jump. You can just shuffle around the edge.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Captain Oblivious posted:

No need to jump. You can just shuffle around the edge.

After that first time, I don't even bother anymore since it's just Silver Talismans I'll never use. But good to know you don't need to jump that little gap.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

Drops, jumps, whatever. Either way I clip right through the floor and die at least twice every time I try to take on the giants. The rest of the area's pretty easy, but since DS1 I've been sliding off cliff faces and it's a pain.

e: Will Numbness affect lock-on distance or does it just make it harder to see?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 1, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

RBA Starblade posted:

Drops, jumps, whatever. Either way I clip right through the floor and die at least twice every time I try to take on the giants. The rest of the area's pretty easy, but since DS1 I've been sliding off cliff faces and it's a pain.

It makes it harder to see, since most of what you'll see is covered by darkness. I don't know about affecting lock-on distance though.

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

Man, Chariot, a boss that would normally be one of my favorites, is totally ruined by that runback.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Try hitting R1 to kill any directional momentum you might have just before you land, I guess. I can't think of anything else that might help.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

EvilCornbread posted:

Man, Chariot, a boss that would normally be one of my favorites, is totally ruined by that runback.

You can always just warp from the bonfire there.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

The firekeeper phantom drops the dingy set and a ring of soul protection (or life protection? whatever same thing). The Faraam knight phantom only drops the hero's soul, yep.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A royal swordsman in Drangleic Castle just oneshot me through my shield. :stare:

Colapops posted:

The firekeeper phantom drops the dingy set and a ring of soul protection (or life protection? whatever same thing). The Faraam knight phantom only drops the hero's soul, yep.

Oh, it was a ring of protection. I have so many now I didn't notice. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
The only thing I didn't really like about the chariot boss is that, on rare occasions, his wheel spike can still nick you even if you're in an alcove. It's only happened to me twice (though it happened to be back to back attempts), but in NG+ I think the spike straight up one-shots you. If you can, try rolling away even if you think you're safe.