Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
I was here earlier asking about a little tube combo to go with my jc120.

Is there anything seriously wrong with running a tube head through my JC speakers as a cab? I'm nowhere close to doing it, I don't even have the head I'm just wondering if this is a viable option.

I am imagining a little lunchbox head sitting atop my JC-120 with a rigged up footswitch for when I want some tube warmth. Doing both wouldn't be possible but imagine switching between amps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Well I think you'd need to have some kind of load (i.e. something that provides resistance to the output of the amp) on each of them, otherwise you'll get a blown output transformer. So I don't think you could use a simple A/B box made out of a few jacks and a couple of 3PDT switches. Instead you'd need this, or something like it so that you don't cause any problems for either of your amps.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
IIRC JC-120 speakers are wired directly to the board, so you'd need to add in a separate harness and plug in order to switch, plus the stock speakers have a flatter response than normal guitar speakers, so it might not sound like what you expect or want.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
You'd need to add a dummy load. It's doable, but you'd probably be best off going with your original plan of tube combo.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

You can also warm up a JC with something like a Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic on a clean setting.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
Gotcha, so amp head on + no speaker load = bad news.

Honestly the combo would still be better for my needs (since I wanted to bring it around for apartment jams) I just thought I could get a better quality head for the same money as a combo.

I'll have the try than duncan tube thing out.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

If you can find a JC-77, they sound as good as a 120 but with 10" speakers. Much more portable, but you give up some low end and power. Two 40 watt amps instead of two 60 watt. Same chorus. No effects loop, sadly.

With the 120, if you have an effects loop, you could bypass the preamp and just plug your warmth/dirt into the effects return. Or get a head, like a cheap Bassman, run that into a hot plate and the line out into the 120.

But way more fun is running a tube amp and a JC at the same time. I like to run a y cable or splitter box, use the tube as main, and have a volume pedal on the JC side just before the delay so I can bring in occasional repeats, or turn the delay off and just use the volume pedal to emphasize certain parts with chorus, fuzz chorus, phase chorus, etc.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Gorgar posted:

With the 120, if you have an effects loop, you could bypass the preamp and just plug your warmth/dirt into the effects return. Or get a head, like a cheap Bassman, run that into a hot plate and the line out into the 120.

Dude hivemind. I was seriously just trying this while you posted. I've never used an fx loop before and after doing some reasearch I figured this might at least give me a different sound. I plugged my fuzz pedal (which has a simple boost setting on it too) through the send and return and when I went to click it on I heard a loud pop. Not like something breaking, just like the click of the button on the pedal. But it was loud, and my amp was all the way down.

Any ideas?

E: It fixed itself. The pop got less and less noticable. I have some playing around to do but I am getting a warmer sound with more presence. I'll have to test it in a jam setting.

Basically I've been happy with my dirt playing alone, I have some good texture but when playing with another guitarist I get muddled in the mix. The other guy has a cheap tube amp but the drive just shines through mine.

philkop fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 1, 2014

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Some pedals will do that. I think it has to do with how true bypass is done. Having it in the loop will send that pop straight to the poweramp. I've heard that pedals which do that may need to just be turned on and off a couple times before use, but with the power on, but for all I know that's specific to the pedals that had this issue.

Volume pedal after dirt and modulation but before delay would at least let you suppress that noise.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

True Bypass pedal?
Capacitive discharge, impedance mismatch, wrong loop level for the pedal (or vice versa, either way), any number of things really.

What pedal and what amp?

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Gorgar posted:

Some pedals will do that. I think it has to do with how true bypass is done. Having it in the loop will send that pop straight to the poweramp. I've heard that pedals which do that may need to just be turned on and off a couple times before use, but with the power on, but for all I know that's specific to the pedals that had this issue.

Volume pedal after dirt and modulation but before delay would at least let you suppress that noise.

iostream.h posted:

True Bypass pedal?
Capacitive discharge, impedance mismatch, wrong loop level for the pedal (or vice versa, either way), any number of things really.

What pedal and what amp?

JC120 and a twosome fuzz. Totally fixed itself after a few times on and off. The very first pop was extremely loud but now its barely noticeable.

E: Holy gently caress. My fuzz through the effect loop sounds great. It has like a vintage crunch to it. Before it sounded like a click on practice amp distortion. Plus being able to have my guitar plug directly into the input is pretty nice.

I think I am just going to leave this pedal up top of the amp through the loop. I guess I prefer the eq of the twosome to my jc 120s.

philkop fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 1, 2014

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

philkop posted:

JC120 and a twosome fuzz. Totally fixed itself after a few times on and off. The very first pop was extremely loud but now its barely noticeable.

E: Holy gently caress. My fuzz through the effect loop sounds great. It has like a vintage crunch to it. Before it sounded like a click on practice amp distortion. Plus being able to have my guitar plug directly into the input is pretty nice.

I think I am just going to leave this pedal up top of the amp through the loop. I guess I prefer the eq of the twosome to my jc 120s.
Oh yeah, basically you're just going through an eq into your fuzz into a power amp using the front end of the amp as the eq, solid setup and yup, definitely sounds like the capacitance issue (we had a pretty good discussion about it recently, I think Kilometer's was having issues with his TB pedals and his OR15, if memory serves), Agreed can go into WAY more detail, but the thing to really keep in mind that TB in and of itself isn't the be-all solution (which doesn't even seem to apply with you since you've got a single pedal there anyway).

Play around with the EQ on the amp, a good fuzz reacts in really fun ways to different frequencies going into them (which is why a wah in front of fuzz can be so much drat fun), good setup there, you should have a lot of fun with it.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

iostream.h posted:

Oh yeah, basically you're just going through an eq into your fuzz into a power amp using the front end of the amp as the eq, solid setup and yup, definitely sounds like the capacitance issue (we had a pretty good discussion about it recently, I think Kilometer's was having issues with his TB pedals and his OR15, if memory serves), Agreed can go into WAY more detail, but the thing to really keep in mind that TB in and of itself isn't the be-all solution (which doesn't even seem to apply with you since you've got a single pedal there anyway).

Play around with the EQ on the amp, a good fuzz reacts in really fun ways to different frequencies going into them (which is why a wah in front of fuzz can be so much drat fun), good setup there, you should have a lot of fun with it.

My twosome is modded to be able to use both pedas at once. Its pretty sick because I can dial one in as a sort of always on boost and then the other for some serious crunch. This serious brought me some new found respect for the jc120 and my pedal. The EQ on the JC has a way of dulling a lot of the dynamics out of my fuzz. I'm not crazy about gain but when I want a crunch, I want it to sizzle and spank, not just blend into a wall of noise. (Hell I can still do this through by strumming up on the neck and having a my bloody valentine esque permanent grip on my tremolo.) Honest my biggest thing is playing dynamically. I want to have as many options available to me just in how I play. This is what led me to the jc-120. With my fuzz in the fx loop I've finally gotten back that unforgiving clarity that shows every little nuance in your playing. And I can volume control my fuzz on guitar! This didn't work through the front.

I am slowly building a pedalboard so I still have tons of experimentation on the way. I only have the fuzz and two ditto loopers. Up next will probably be a wah. (yeah I started kind of backwards by getting a 300$ fuzz first)

E: Back to amp stuff: unless I see a little tube combo that really impresses me I am just going to suck it up and lug around my jc120. I'll probably be modding it with some cabinet handles on the sides to help with the weight.

Any other mods or ghetto rigged solutions for heavy amps?

philkop fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 1, 2014

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

philkop posted:

Any other mods or ghetto rigged solutions for heavy amps?
Cut the amp out of the combo and convert them to a head/cab separate system.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

iostream.h posted:

Cut the amp out of the combo and convert them to a head/cab separate system.

true stereo. That could be fun.

At that level of work I think I'd rather just convert it into a 120 watt 2x10. There's plenty of 16ohm 60 watt speakers out there

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

philkop posted:

At that level of work I think I'd rather just convert it into a 120 watt 2x10. There's plenty of 16ohm 60 watt speakers out there
That's actually what I meant, just cut out the top section with the amp in it, seal up the head and cab so you have a head with a 2x10.
I did it way way back when with an old Line 6 AX2-212 and helped a friend do it more recently with a Peavey 5150 combo.

There's a fair amount about it online, I think Sockington did it recently (or something similar) to a Crate 1x12 combo.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

My Moogs are still acting up with my OR15s loop. At this point I'm just dealing with it since I prefer them there and am somewhat banking on it being the tubes but we'll see. If that doesn't fix things then I'll have to see where I can go from there.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

There was a head version of the 120 called a JC-120H. Never seen one, probably pretty rare.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
E: nvm. Going to learn to deal with what I have. I can sense a growing case of perfecttone-itus within myself.

Going to make the best with what I have and squeeze every drop out of my pretty awesome setup.

philkop fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 2, 2014

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Gorgar posted:

There was a head version of the 120 called a JC-120H. Never seen one, probably pretty rare.

There's a place near me that's trying to sell one for $1000. :allears:

I also found one on Kijiji awhile back for $500, I would've bought it but I don't have any cabs that could handle it nor did I want to buy a 4x12 for it.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
Found a good deal on a modded superchamp that seemed to fit my needs. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Its modded to run analog. No effects no nothing. Gain, Master, Tone. Pretty much what I wanted.
I could have done much worse for a light portable beater with decent tube tone (right?)

philkop fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 3, 2014

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
I'm replacing the tubes in my HRD and I'm going with a lower watt option. Does the bias change at all? I guess normally I'd be shooting for 70mV but I don't know if that's still the goal or if it's more complicated than that.

edit: specifically it was 6V6 tubes (~30W) in a hot rod deluxe and in case anybody has the same question as me in the future, the answer turns out to be 25 to 30mV

Synonamess Botch fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 4, 2014

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
I got myself a cheap Carvin Vintage 16. I'll post a review once I get it.

From what I hear they are more than decent stock but take really well to modding. And they are one of the easier amps to mod so it should be a nice cheap amp to wet my feet.

Anybody here ever build replacement cabs from scratch? I really want to build something with like a back angle so I can tilt the amp anywhere. Any good resources? I see a lot of how toos but nothing discussing the sound change with certain shapes.

Is it as simple as building a box then mounting your crap inside? Because that I can do :D

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
Is this the place to ask about speakers?

I'm looking for a couple of 15" bass speakers to put in a cabinet (I blew the stock ones trying to be Electric Wizard, lol). Need to be able to handle a good amount of power and preferably not too flubby/as much definition as possible without breaking the bank. Any recommendations?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Bruce Boxliker posted:

Is this the place to ask about speakers?

I'm looking for a couple of 15" bass speakers to put in a cabinet (I blew the stock ones trying to be Electric Wizard, lol). Need to be able to handle a good amount of power and preferably not too flubby/as much definition as possible without breaking the bank. Any recommendations?

i would say go with the eminence beta 15s. I have the 10s in my cab and they can totally do electric wizard :smug:

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Smash it Smash hit posted:

i would say go with the eminence beta 15s. I have the 10s in my cab and they can totally do electric wizard :smug:

Cool, thanks for the suggestion. I'm not super familiar with a lot of amp electrical stuff, so dumb question: I'm seeing that these speakers are rated for 300 watts at 8 ohms. I know that wiring them both together would put the impedance of the cab at 4 ohms, but my head puts out 350 watts at 4 ohms, would that be too much for the speakers to handle or is the wattage shared between the two speakers in some way?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Power handling should be the aggregate of the drivers in the circuit (as far as I know).

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

jwh posted:

Power handling should be the aggregate of the drivers in the circuit (as far as I know).

yeah so two 300w speakers will handle ~600w. But splitting, you will also only be sending 175 watts to each speaker. (but when you clip you can send up to x10 to the speaker so be careful with that!)

depends on how you wire your speakers if you wore them parallel then two 8 ohm drivers will = 4 ohm. if you wire them series the same two will be 16.

if they are going from your head into the two cabs then that will be a parallel connection.

Smash it Smash hit fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 5, 2014

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Smash it Smash hit posted:

yeah so two 300w speakers will handle ~600w. But splitting, you will also only be sending 175 watts to each speaker. (but when you clip you can send up to x10 to the speaker so be careful with that!)

depends on how you wire your speakers if you wore them parallel then two 8 ohm drivers will = 4 ohm. if you wire them series the same two will be 16.

if they are going from your head into the two cabs then that will be a parallel connection.

Cool, I was aware of the series/parallel thing but I didn't know how multiple speakers would split up the wattage. And I should've clarified, it's one 2x15 cab that's wired in parallel. Thanks for the help.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm having a real crisis of identity with my guitar playing at the moment: I'm enjoying playing more than ever but nothing feels right with my current setup! Sound-wise I'm looking for something between NWOBHM and Motley Crue/Kiss/Skid Row. If possible I'd like the ability to push it into that chugga-chugga Metallica/Megadeth style, and the ability to get that crusty stoner-metal sound is a big bonus. I seem to have gotten myself wrapped up with a totally inappropriate guitar (which is a separate story) and an amp that just can't keep up:

Extension Cab
I've got a blackstar HT-1R which I'm not overly fond of the sound that comes out of the tinny 8" speaker above a very low volume, it's a combination of fizzy and boomy. Having said that, the emulated out sounds great. I think the first point of call to resolve this is to get a 1x12 extension cabinet and see how that handles the amp, probably the Orange PPC112. Regardless of what I'm about to say, this seems like the best course of action - if anyone has specific cab recommendations I would be very grateful. NB: as a HT-1R owner if it's not obvious I'm a bedroom hobbyist.

New Head?
Anyway, once I started down that rabbit hole, I realised that I only really ever use the gain channel, and then always about 75% towards the UK side of the ISF. I started checking out low wattage amp heads that I could use with aforementioned 1x12 and it seems that an Orange Terror series might be a great choice. Untangling the facts from opinions seems incredibly difficult:

- Dark Terror needs to have volume behind the gain not to sound fizzy (How practical is that going to be to lay down tracks in my bedroom (in terms of volume required)
- Tiny Terror is the most versatile from classic rock to metal but would need a boost pedal to get the saturation of the dark terror at high-gain. If I was going for this I'm not sure why I wouldn't grab a Micro Terror instead since I can still use a boost, and it would have a headphone out.
- Wildcard Marshall DSL15H also sounds pretty nice and might play more nicely with my strat and one would think those classic rock bands were more likely to use it.

Headphone-out on my HT-1R has been a lifesaver, but it seems that's only offered on the Micro terror due to the solid state power amp. All of the non-godlike demos I've seen show the DT as far superior to the MT, but in this video the Micro Terror sounds MASSIVE, no doubt due to production:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGY76xjZGfs

Does anyone have any good recommendations?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

A micro terror x PPC112 would be a really awesome setup. I'm ruining an OR15 into a PPC212 and it's got everything I need as a 99% bedroom player. Loud as poo poo but it sounds good low once you learn how to balance it. Great cleans (not fender but very clean and articulate), bluesy crunch to classic rock, and then everything from 80s metal to full out modern scooped death metal. Of course it's best when you're cranking the mids and getting that thick punchy crunch. The entire OR15/Terror range plays killer with single coils if that's what you want to stick with and with humbuckers you'll be in thick harmonic heaven.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

That's great to hear, so just to clarify what WOULD the benefit be of a Dark/Tiny terror over a Micro terror for me, if any?

EDIT: Oh jesus I just saw the Jim Root head: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS6i-QazpyM

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 7, 2014

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Southern Heel posted:

I seem to have gotten myself wrapped up with a totally inappropriate guitar

Aw don't hate on the strat. I played a mexi strat through a vox night train

(http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...9CMy287lo_D_BwE)

Too gainy for me but I feel like its what your looking for. It could benefit from some humbuckers for your style. If it were me I'd pop p90s on for the edgey but crisp sound/

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I got an amp for $5 at a church charity thing today.

It's an old Sears (made by Garnett) solid state amp for my brother to practice on. 10watts, 2x8 speaker setup. Still works fine :3:

Whole lotta tech going on back there.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

philkop posted:

Aw don't hate on the strat. I played a mexi strat through a vox night train

(http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...9CMy287lo_D_BwE)

Too gainy for me but I feel like its what your looking for. It could benefit from some humbuckers for your style. If it were me I'd pop p90s on for the edgey but crisp sound/

Don't get me wrong, the strat is great for what it does but I've just fallen out of love with it. It's funny you should mention P90's because it was something I was thinking that too because I do like that single-coil bite, but honestly I think having one SSS and one good HH is a priority to fill the spectrum out, and then making up a P90 deficit if one is found.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Southern Heel posted:

Don't get me wrong, the strat is great for what it does but I've just fallen out of love with it. It's funny you should mention P90's because it was something I was thinking that too because I do like that single-coil bite, but honestly I think having one SSS and one good HH is a priority to fill the spectrum out, and then making up a P90 deficit if one is found.

P90 neck, Hum bridge, single mid. With a could tap on bridge for single sounds and also a toggle or pull pot that turns on neck pickup.

This gives you bridge + neck option which is a very usable sound. (I like blues/jazz/funkish stuff though.)

If you've ever thought of p90s I'd avoid them (or test em first.) Mine sounded pretty bad through my setup. My amp is known for making meh things sound worse though.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

philkop posted:

My amp is known for making meh things sound worse though.

Glad I don't play on your setup. :iamafag:

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Loudness Talk!
I've done some tests on my HT-1R. I can get a decent tone when it's about 90db and realistically the loudest I want it to go is 97db (halfway). Through a 1x12 in half power mode, the Dark Terror/Jim Root head is 97db at a quarter of it's volume, and 100db at halfway (102db in in full power mode).

Without a line-out or emulated-out I'm going to need to record with an amp mic, and 15-20 minutes of playtime at that volume causes permanent hearing damage, which doesn't sound all that fun. It certainly defeats the object of having great tone if I can't really crank it above 1/10th on the volume dial while I'm practising.

I would love some insight on this, am I overreacting? As a non-gigging musician is this simply throwing bad cash after good?

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Southern Heel posted:

Loudness Talk!
I've done some tests on my HT-1R. I can get a decent tone when it's about 90db and realistically the loudest I want it to go is 97db (halfway). Through a 1x12 in half power mode, the Dark Terror/Jim Root head is 97db at a quarter of it's volume, and 100db at halfway (102db in in full power mode).

Without a line-out or emulated-out I'm going to need to record with an amp mic, and 15-20 minutes of playtime at that volume causes permanent hearing damage, which doesn't sound all that fun. It certainly defeats the object of having great tone if I can't really crank it above 1/10th on the volume dial while I'm practising.

I would love some insight on this, am I overreacting? As a non-gigging musician is this simply throwing bad cash after good?

Get some ear plugs if your worried. Also non gigging who records? Are you a studio guitarist? I've thought about doing this since I've always been a Jack of all trades master of none kind of player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Southern Heel posted:

There's always iso cabs and attenuators, but a lot of the sound and feel of tube amps comes from a certain volume level where the power section clips and the cab is moving air.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 9, 2014