Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Perestroika posted:

Mostly in terms of turn rate/time. Maybe I'm lacking the important upgrades or something, but often I don't really seem to be able to outturn soviet fighters (mostly LaGGs and Ishaks, at that level) on a level plane, even though on paper it looks like it should be able to do so. That's with the B0, if it makes much of a difference. Does it maybe change significantly at lower energy levels, because that's usually when I go for turnfighting?

(He's loving with you. The statcards are utter and 100% irrelevant bullshit. Don't look at them. They are literally pointless.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Stat cards are all lies, they've stopped updating them to reflect new flight models.

I think other than stuff like armour for tanks, ammo, and maybe a do not exceed speed stat cards are pointless.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Heliosicle posted:

Stat cards are all lies, they've stopped updating them to reflect new flight models.

I think other than stuff like armour for tanks, ammo, and maybe a do not exceed speed stat cards are pointless.

Statcards seem to show the stats of a "loaded" plane. A full fuel load as is standard does affect the plane performance. The Hellcat has about 1,000 liters of fuel (1hr 5mins), so going out with 20 or 30mins of fuel shaves off ~400? kg. This lowers the wingloading to ~150 to 160 kg/m².

EDIT:
Nevermind statcards don't contain useful stats, except for weapon loadout and ammo amount.

Tank Boy Ken fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 1, 2014

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Statcards seem to show the stats of a "loaded" plane. A full fuel load as is standard does affect the plane performance. The Hellcat has about 1,000 liters of fuel (1hr 5mins), so going out with 20 or 30mins of fuel shaves off ~400? kg. This lowers the wingloading to ~150 to 160 kg/m².

No, stat cards are lies. A dev stated that they're done by hand and are all just guesswork.

In any case almost all the stats on stat cards for planes are things that vary with speed and altitude, so listing them is pointless to begin with. The max speed and turn speed of a plane isn't the same at 100 meters and 10km.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Wow, suddenly I just cannot kill T-28s even when I never had problems killing them reliabily. Also, Panzer III F is still poo poo. No tank suffers crew death/crippling damage on the first hit/ammo burnouts quite as much as this shitwagon.

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013
Well I discovered a very lovely bug in my T 34 85 that explains why I am having such a horrible time in it.

Apparently every shell that isn't APCR gets loaded as HE.

Guess I am going to grind out the last bit of my T 44 with my 57.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Subyng posted:

Wow, suddenly I just cannot kill T-28s even when I never had problems killing them reliabily. Also, Panzer III F is still poo poo. No tank suffers crew death/crippling damage on the first hit/ammo burnouts quite as much as this shitwagon.
Shoot them in the turret, don't use APCR? :shrug:
(Or turret bottom ammo rack if you can)

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

organburner posted:

I've seen squads of two tigers and a panther just obliterate everything. Got triple hosed by one of them once, don't want to do that again anytime soon.

And I'm loving terrified of tigers, they seem to one shot me with ease. That loving 88 is ridiculous.

Oh yeah it's nasty, but the turret turns *slooooowly* on the Tiger. Best bet is to flank them, but that might not be easy on Kursk.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Got my first air to ground kill in Sim. After my tank died, I spawned in as a Stuka and dove in on the Jungle beach. Saw what I ID'ed as a IS-1 ( it was a KV-85 ), made my pass, and dropped my entire bombload. I killed him, killed myself, and set a T-34-57 on fire. Feels good man :getin:

Subyng
May 4, 2013

AceRimmer posted:

Shoot them in the turret, don't use APCR? :shrug:
(Or turret bottom ammo rack if you can)

Yep, that's what I've been doing from day one. Bad luck today I guess.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Got my first air to ground kill in Sim. After my tank died, I spawned in as a Stuka and dove in on the Jungle beach. Saw what I ID'ed as a IS-1 ( it was a KV-85 ), made my pass, and dropped my entire bombload. I killed him, killed myself, and set a T-34-57 on fire. Feels good man :getin:

I found a Tiger in my T-34. I shot at the view hole and missed, damaging his suspension somehow. He knocked out my gunner so I just rammed him (tracking him) and called in an artillery strike directly on top of us.

Then an IL-2 divebombed him and killed us both.

:ussr:

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Found another role for the Panther: SPAAG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6M5GsAgr5s

Yeah such shots are pure luck, but it's still awesome :)

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Rocketing Soviet T-54s in my Nazi Me-262 in Guadalcanal.

I'm so glad this game is historically accurate.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
:siren:Whiny post incoming!:siren:

Wow, it loving sucks playing Soviet tanks. I've played up to the SU-100 and from the Pz4F2 the Germans have the upper hand, consistently one-shotting Soviets from the front, while the Soviets have to really up their game to take out German tanks.

I'll be playing Germans from now on. gently caress the Soviet tanks. Give me my win-mobile.

Edit: Ok, having calmed down a bit, I'll be testing my (whiny) hypothesis by playing German tanks and seeing if I'll really be the overpowered Übermensch they seem to be when they're my opponents.

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 1, 2014

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Worthy of the OP, imo. :golfclap:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

TheBlobThing posted:

Wow, it loving sucks playing Soviet tanks. I've played up to the SU-100 and from the Pz4F2 the Germans have the upper hand, consistently one-shotting Soviets from the front, while the Soviets have to really up their game to take out German tanks.

I'll be playing Germans from now on. gently caress the Soviet tanks. Give me my win-mobile.

Edit: Ok, having calmed down a bit, I'll be testing my (whiny) hypothesis by playing German tanks and seeing if I'll really be the overpowered Übermensch they seem to be when they're my opponents.

Spoiler: They won't be.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Gwaihir posted:

Spoiler: They won't be.

Well, just played a match where I scored 8 kills for 1 death in my Pz4C so so far so good.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

JacksLibido posted:

To each their own. I like flanking and strategy with my tanks, constantly driving around like bumper cars isn't fun for me. They really should at least make it an option to do CA/Tanks only though.

It's nowhere near impossible or improbable to get a single pass strafe, they're rare but I see them enough to get annoyed. Moving would be fine if it weren't for the fact that decent tankers can often OHK pretty much any tank. I'm a pretty terrible shot though, so if I move positions after each shot I'll just end up dead, since the first shot will miss, I'll go to move, the enemy will see where I'm at and prepare for me to pop back out of cover then will OHK me. Hence why I like finding good hull down spots, I at least have a chance to do something until someone drops a bomb on me.
So you get bombed regularly for camping hard and accuse me (who said I move about a lot) of not using flanking and strategy? You realize you have to move to flank, right? Camping and waiting for them to drive into your LoS with a side shot (sometimes) does not count as flanking, sorry.

If "bumper cars" is moving about to find and kill enemies (and succeeding at both on a regular basis), then I guess I loving love me some amusement park bumper cars. I guess I'll leave you to hanging out at the amusement park shooting booth where you stand sit still and wait until something comes along which is sophisticated "strategy" that only 95% of tanks pubbies use (FFS... it's pretty much the tank equivalent of always turn-fight).

The second paragraph seems to confirm that being mobile is more difficult and, I'd argue, much more successful once you learn how to do it (I'll gladly concede it can be hit or miss, but it's a lot more hit than camping which is usually only better when you find yourself fending off a large push [which is up to chance, not skill]). Also, helping your team out on multiple fronts by moving around helps enormously towards teamplay/winning.

Dezztroy posted:

The F1 should just start with HEAT, really. The whole WoT idea of a tank being complete dogshit until upgraded is just dumb.
It's just fine if it doesn't get tiered up against T-50s/T-34s. The problem in SB (and probably RB) is that's unlikely. Its default rounds work great against appropriate BR stuff (better than HEAT) like T-28, BT-7, T-70, etc.

But, yeah, they should probably at least make it a tier I upgrade so you only have one or two awful uptiers to struggle through. They should also make parts/fire extinguisher non-upgrades (or have them by default and you research upgraded versions that repair/put fires out faster). They should also add "medical training" or something to that effect that can revive crew members (in a similar fashion to repairing). Even with those flaws though, WoT was so much worse on stock = bad.

organburner posted:

Jesus christ I can not kill anything with the T-34-85

I try to ambush someone from the side but that doesn't work since you can't point the barrel down. Going hull down is impossible for the same reason, so pretty much you need to get right up to the enemy.
Also doesn't help that anything can penetrate the loving thing from the front while I for some reason have trouble killing loving tigers.
Seriously how the gently caress do you do good in the T-34-85? Think I might just grind up to the T-44 using the 34-57 instead.
Pro tip: you can often get better gun depression looking over the side instead of the front of the tank due to how the tank is sitting on the incline. This is usually helpful for hull-downing with Russian tanks (note: be careful to not expose yourself to side shots though).

There are plenty of places to go hull down on AB maps with the T-34-85. You can penetrate anything you face to the front under 500m with the improved APHE. Usually turret is your best bet to do so.

T-44 has the same gun as the T-34-85. You're doing yourself no favors not learning how to pen with it now because the enemies' armor only gets thicker. All that said, per BR, the T-34-57 is definitely the easier/better tank (over the 85), especially with the bug fix that makes it that much more deadly.

TheBlobThing posted:

Understandable at times; I too swap to Germans when I want easymode. You should totally still play both though.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

TheBlobThing posted:

Well, just played a match where I scored 8 kills for 1 death in my Pz4C so so far so good.

Every plane is OP after I fly them.

Snodgrass Supreme
Nov 6, 2012
Tanks, just like planes, have totally different strengths between nations and maybe doing much better as a particular nation means they are more suited to your particular play style? :shrug:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Thief posted:

Every plane is OP after I fly them.

Well of course they're OP after you fully upgrade them.

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005
Are the low tier German auto cannons capable of penetrating anything?

I'm trying to max out all of my tier 1 tanks and I can never get kills with the PzKpfw II Ausf.F. The auto cannon never penetrates, never blows poo poo up, and the armor on the tank is paper thin. I've gotten insane flanks on Soviet tanks and unloaded 3-4 magazines on weak points before the enemy returning fire on me. Never once have I gotten a kill. This is in RB.

Trudging through Tier 1 Germany feels like an exercise in frustration.

Darkmoon2k fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 2, 2014

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The HVAP/APCR ammo will go through anything but T-50s. You can still kill the T-50, but pretty much only by shooting it in the back of the turret, where the little hatch is. T34s are basically "Hope you're point blank and shoot the driver's hatch."

Every soviet gun will basically one shot you though.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Darkmoon2k posted:

Are the low tier German auto cannons capable of penetrating anything?

I'm trying to max out all of my tier 1 tanks and I can never get kills with the PzKpfw II Ausf.F. The auto cannon never penetrates, never blows poo poo up, and the armor on the tank is paper thin. I've gotten insane flanks on Soviet tanks and unloaded 3-4 magazines on weak points before the enemy returning fire on me. Never once have I gotten a kill. This is in RB.

Trudging through Tier 1 Germany feel like masochism.

As long as the thing you're flaking isn't a T34 or T50, you can turn the crew into swiss cheese with the HVAPT belts. For the 34 and 50, you'll want to aim at the turret seam or just run away.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

I don't think I'll be getting an Me 410. Every time I see one it's trivial to take out the pilot with a couple shots to the cockpit.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, but it looks cool so at least get the one that has the two spirals on the propellers.

Fly all the planes.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
With a BR of 1.3 you shouldn't run into T-50 or T-34 at all unless there's nobody online. For most tanks it's best to stick with the default belt. the mix of API and HEF works wonders against those tanks that have no armor and make up a large part of the low-tier soviet lineup. Inlcuding, BT-7, T-26 and T-28 explode or start burning rather well with the default belt while the APCR belt will need you to actually aim at something that can get killed/destroyed.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
The 20mm can pierce the hull of the T-50 quite easily, you just have to aim for the lower sides, between the road wheels. You're definitely outmatched, but you can still win.

Probably works for T-34s too, but I haven't gotten the chance to try it since you don't see them too often in the Pz II and when you do they just one-shot you anyways.

When people talk about how they're not getting any kills even though they've put several rounds into someone, they really need to list: The target, hit locations and gun/ammo.

bUm posted:

It's just fine if it doesn't get tiered up against T-50s/T-34s. The problem in SB (and probably RB) is that's unlikely. Its default rounds work great against appropriate BR stuff (better than HEAT) like T-28, BT-7, T-70, etc.

I thought the F1 was higher BR than 2.0. Maybe I'm just imagining that, or maybe they changed it. Yeah, I guess it shouldn't be too bad if it fights other BR 2.0 tanks, but as you said it sees plenty of T-50s and T-34s which are all but immune to the default ammo.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

YellerBill posted:

I don't think I'll be getting an Me 410. Every time I see one it's trivial to take out the pilot with a couple shots to the cockpit.

The B-6/R3 is an amazing B-17 killer which is really useful at its tier since half or more of the teams you fight in it are flying them.
See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5dnqGZNO44

All 4 B-17s killed by the 410 :smug:

I've never really flown the U2's, 4x20mm is nice but you'll only get to use them in head-ons since they don't manoeuvre all that well.

The U4's are pretty fun to fly in CA when you don't get shot down by AAA, the 50mm can penetrate most Russian tanks up to IS-2's in the side, and even them from the top. And they have 2x20mm to kill fighters with.

They're dumb planes but I like them cos guns.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
I love ramming flakpanzers

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Il-28 spotted

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dunite posted:

Well I discovered a very lovely bug in my T 34 85 that explains why I am having such a horrible time in it.

Apparently every shell that isn't APCR gets loaded as HE.

Guess I am going to grind out the last bit of my T 44 with my 57.

same problem here. Load HE and and 1 APHE. You get APHE and 1 HE instead

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I agree:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI2wf3J2Hog

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

NickBlasta posted:

Il-28 spotted

Apparently it's been in for months but they haven't added it in because there's nothing else like it/'balance reasons'.

Maybe when they add the Ho-229 they'll add it?

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
When the Il-28 and Ho-229 get added the Arado 234 will be even more useless than it already is, as there will be two bomb-capable jets ingame that actually have guns to defend themselves.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Here's an CASB question. I've been playing RB today and I noticed that while the AI AAA can wreck your poo poo, it's pretty easy to take them out since you can target them and see them. What's the AAA situation in CASB if you can't see them in the trees (on Karelia, for example).

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

El Disco posted:

Well of course they're OP after you fully upgrade them.

:flaccid:

Heliosicle posted:

They're dumb planes but I like them cos guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg0dznldRp4&hd=1

The Ki-45 Tei is incredibly OP. It has a single forward facing cannon with 15 rounds - that's right, fifteen.

And with a two-point-three battle rating you will only get into half-full games with 4 people per team, meaning that the Ki-45 Tei has 11 shots too many. That is too much power for just one prane. :japan:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Whats the difference between "sessions played" and "missions finished" in the stats menu?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

YellerBill posted:

The top tier one is amazing because it has a 50mm, and it's BR is high enough that it runs into the dreadful American all-B-17 teams. 50mms wreck B-17s. It's great fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Thief posted:

:flaccid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg0dznldRp4&hd=1

The Ki-45 Tei is incredibly OP. It has a single forward facing cannon with 15 rounds - that's right, fifteen.

And with a two-point-three battle rating you will only get into half-full games with 4 people per team, meaning that the Ki-45 Tei has 11 shots too many. That is too much power for just one prane. :japan:

Uh, it does have those Schrage Musik cannons on top. Those can be helpful in a dogfight...maybe? You have to press a button to turn on Schrage Musik aiming mode, though.

• Locked thread