Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Monoliths posted:

This kind of poo poo is RUINING the tournament scene. A recent mathhammer rear end in a top hat I played fired a krak missile at my chimera, so YOU BET I cussed him in front of his 4-year-old. Kid's gonna grow up just like his cheating neckbeard dad unless champs like me have a say.

Yeah some guy used something called a Battle Cannon to shoot my Tyranid Warriors. No big deal, right? So then he says something about 'Instant Death' which is just obviously made up.

I took his whole army out the parking lot and ran over them with my car a few times. Dude apologized right there. So I tipped my fedora and sheathed my Katana (it's a real Hanzo Hattori) and left with my hot girlfriend.

I hope I didn't ruin the tires on my Bentley.

edit: Actual content -

Played my first game of Apoc yesterday. 9 hours, lots of fun, and much Biomass was devoured:

TKIY fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So what's the tournament scene like for 40k? Are there any cool tournament videos online? Any websites that help organize or keep track of tournament results? Is it mostly small groups of hams getting together and calling themselves a "tournament scene" or are there yearly events that gather grognards from all around to find out who is the best general in the grim dark future of the 41st millennium?

Seriously asking.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
There are a few major tournaments in the US:
- Adepticon (Chicago)
- Las Vegas Open (Not sure where)
- NoVa (Alexandria/Washington DC)

There are also smaller ones at some conventions, and then there is generally a tournament scene at local games stores. The best I've found in this area is run by the guy that runs Spikey Bits. His store, FTW Games, is pretty stellar and the tournies they run are pretty competitive/well-run.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

In case this was ever in question: playing against a Warhound in a sub 2000pt game is no fun.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

PierreTheMime posted:

Hell yeah! While they're no longer officially "the best" Space Marine army, Salamanders are awesome and have so much more character than other chapters. I need to go find my Drop Pod and get it fixed up since they score now.

99% of the reason I picked Salamanders was because I wanted a green army (my favorite color is not green). The rest was learning that they idolize dragons and fire and poo poo.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Hixson posted:

In case this was ever in question: playing against a Warhound in a sub 2000pt game is no fun.
What's the story with this? I mean, we all get the ending - Warhound eats Hixson alive - but I want to know how it got to this point.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Hixson posted:

Forging the Narrative. The Narrative of being a rear end in a top hat.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Von Humboldt posted:

What's the story with this? I mean, we all get the ending - Warhound eats Hixson alive - but I want to know how it got to this point.

Panascope just got his titan and wanted to try it. We were just messing around. He had a bunch of guardsmen, a chimera, and a titan at 1850pts.

I put lances on everything. But it didnt matter. By the end of the game the titan had killed a wraithknight, wraithlord, 3 waveserpents, 3 warwalkers, 2 squads of dire avengers, and a building my warp spiders were hiding in. The things a dick.

But it was still a pretty funny game. I had a seer council on foot that Gate of Inifinity'd across the board and charged his guardblob. 5 warlocks died to do it, but Eldrad made it into close combat and killed Yarick in a challenge. It was cinematic as gently caress.

We tried out the objective cards, they were actually pretty fun. They gave me enough points to give me a false sense of hope that i could win. After the game we realized that you're allowed to discard 1 card per turn. So I could have gotten rid of the the card that wanted me to destroy his fortifcation (he didnt have one) and the one that wanted me to control all the objectives on the board (lol)

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Hixson posted:

Panascope just got his titan and wanted to try it. We were just messing around. He had a bunch of guardsmen, a chimera, and a titan at 1850pts.

I put lances on everything. But it didnt matter. By the end of the game the titan had killed a wraithknight, wraithlord, 3 waveserpents, 3 warwalkers, 2 squads of dire avengers, and a building my warp spiders were hiding in. The things a dick.

But it was still a pretty funny game. I had a seer council on foot that Gate of Inifinity'd across the board and charged his guardblob. 5 warlocks died to do it, but Eldrad made it into close combat and killed Yarick in a challenge. It was cinematic as gently caress.

We tried out the objective cards, they were actually pretty fun. They gave me enough points to give me a false sense of hope that i could win. After the game we realized that you're allowed to discard 1 card per turn. So I could have gotten rid of the the card that wanted me to destroy his fortifcation (he didnt have one) and the one that wanted me to control all the objectives on the board (lol)
Pretty rad. That's the best way to do Titans and the like. Did you use the Escalation Warlord table, or just roll with whatever Eldrad had? How'd the new psychic phase treat your Eldar? Perhaps most importantly, how the hell did Eldrad kill Yarrick?

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

PierreTheMime posted:

Hell yeah! While they're no longer officially "the best" Space Marine army, Salamanders are awesome and have so much more character than other chapters. I need to go find my Drop Pod and get it fixed up since they score now.

Why are they no longer "the best"? Is it the change to what things get twin linked when you take Vulkan?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

OB_Juan posted:

Why are they no longer "the best"? Is it the change to what things get twin linked when you take Vulkan?

Meltas are no longer twin-linked, and thunder hammers lost mastercrafted.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Slimnoid posted:

Meltas are no longer twin-linked, and thunder hammers lost mastercrafted.

But are they still the coolest space bros?

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Monoliths posted:

This kind of poo poo is RUINING the tournament scene. A recent mathhammer rear end in a top hat I played fired a krak missile at my chimera, so YOU BET I cussed him in front of his 4-year-old. Kid's gonna grow up just like his cheating neckbeard dad unless champs like me have a say.

Unbelievable! As something of a military historian, (the veteran of many viewings of Saving Private Ryan and have an advertisement for the book Killing Lincoln sitting on my toilet tank) I know that approximately four rounds of shooting must be spent shooting Frag Missiles at the side of the Chimera (named after the Chinese Zodiac) in order to create dramatic tension for my youtube battle report (I aim to please my devoted following within the lore fandom).

OB_Juan posted:

But are they still the coolest space bros?

They are blacker than hell, that should answer your question. :whatup:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

OB_Juan posted:

Salamander vehicles no longer benefit from the chapter bonus, though Vulkan's bonus still affects them. It used to be other chapter tactics were a bit "meh" and twin-linking all meltas and flamers and MCing Thunder Hammers is just awesome. It's not that they're much worse than they were before, it's that other chapters have been better balanced.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I have to sometimes play with people who wear utilikilts and jeans with holes in them. Also sometimes people who have fake tales hanging out of their pants come into the store. Game is broken.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 1, 2014

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Post 9-11 User posted:

Unbelievable! As something of a military historian, (the veteran of many viewings of Saving Private Ryan and have an advertisement for the book Killing Lincoln sitting on my toilet tank) I know that approximately four rounds of shooting must be spent shooting Frag Missiles at the side of the Chimera (named after the Chinese Zodiac) in order to create dramatic tension for my youtube battle report (I aim to please my devoted following within the lore fandom).

I legitimately overheard a discussion from a bunch of hams on whether a bunch of WWII generals were really as good as they were made out to be. Rommel, Patton, Montgomery, etc...

I think they played Flames of War and thought that qualified them to know what the gently caress they're talking about.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Taking a short break from painting Steel Legion to dick around with possible allies like maybe some Blood Angels

and some Armageddon Ork hunters. The hunters are basically made of the left overs from cultist and catachan kits but I'm trying to think of a way to model some like ork trophies or whatever.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Boon posted:

I legitimately overheard a discussion from a bunch of hams on whether a bunch of WWII generals were really as good as they were made out to be. Rommel, Patton, Montgomery, etc...

They were quite likely discussing the generals' FoW special characters.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I really wish 40k was played and built around 20mm. 10MM is to small , 28mm? or 35mm is to big, 20mm figures are best or 1/72th which is the same. I think 40k is 35mm

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 1, 2014

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

moths posted:

They were quite likely discussing the generals' FoW special characters.

I'm 99% certain they were not.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Marneus Calgar is obviously a superior commander to all of those plebes from World War 2. Rommel doesn't even get to reroll is warlord trait.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Von Humboldt posted:

Pretty rad. That's the best way to do Titans and the like. Did you use the Escalation Warlord table, or just roll with whatever Eldrad had? How'd the new psychic phase treat your Eldar? Perhaps most importantly, how the hell did Eldrad kill Yarrick?

I just rolled on Divination w/ Eldrad, which was a mistake. Fortune would have went a long way.

Psychic powers are definitely more difficult to manifest. But I like it. The new system introduces alot of decision making instead of just making GBS threads out all your powers each turn. It would have went alot better for me if all my Warlocks didnt eat poo poo turn 2

Also, Eldrad just manned the gently caress up and put that dude in the dirt. Then he died to a sanctioned psyker in cc next turn :saddowns:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Boon posted:

I think they played Flames of War and thought that qualified them to know what the gently caress they're talking about.

Uh, yeah, boy. Let me tell you, when you have served with a band of brothers and fought for your miniature country you can talk like I have. I earned it.

To Are Troops who have fallen from the table of battle. To those lost down an air vent. To those missing banner poles. The ones still carrying scars to this day, scars from being chewed on by pets. Gone too soon, not forgotten. :zpatriot:

Hixson posted:

Also, Eldrad just manned the gently caress up and put that dude in the dirt. Then he died to a sanctioned psyker in cc next turn :saddowns:

Oh my gently caress. *Eldrad takes the psyker's chain sword into his armpit, falls over. "I am vanquished!" Gets x-eyes.

Undies for a second: "My greatest pupil!"

*Staggers over again, back of his hand to his forehead.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

AndyElusive posted:

So what's the tournament scene like for 40k? Are there any cool tournament videos online? Any websites that help organize or keep track of tournament results? Is it mostly small groups of hams getting together and calling themselves a "tournament scene" or are there yearly events that gather grognards from all around to find out who is the best general in the grim dark future of the 41st millennium?

Seriously asking.

Frontlinegaming.org

Torrent of fire

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The Strike Force Ultra dataslate is not too bad.

Hammerfall formation:
Terminator captain
Five-man* Terminator squad
Five-man* Assault Terminator squad
Land Raider Crusader/Redeemer

Terminator Assault squad and Captain have to deploy in the Raider and get Hammer of Wrath when disembarking. Tactical Terminators deploy via Deepstrike and may run and fire on arrival.

Skyspear formation:
Five-man* Terminator squad
Five-man* Assault Terminator squad
Venerable dreadnought
Stormraven

The dread and Terminator Assault squad deploy in the Stormraven, again gaining Hammer of Wrath when they disembark. The other squad arrives by Deepstrike, again able to run and fire.

Strike Force Ultra:
The above combined with the addition that while the Captain is still breathing you can roll for any of the reserves on turn one.

*Fixed squad size.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

That's actually pretty cool. See I really like formations and Dataslates. I think they're neat but there are not enough of them and not a single one for Necrons.

There should at least be one for each race.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Naramyth posted:

Frontlinegaming.org

Torrent of fire

An Imperial KKKnight Of The Whitesonly House. :godwinning:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Holy poo poo that White SS Knight :wtc:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I don't see it, just a Knight painted white.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Hate how the only way to get that Terminator captain is to get that battleforce.

There is a webstore only one, but he's not nearly as nice as the new one, and I'm suspicious of him only being 21bux.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I don't see it, just a Knight painted white.

Totenkopf

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 1, 2014

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

twistedmentat posted:

Hate how the only way to get that Terminator captain is to get that battleforce.

There is a webstore only one, but he's not nearly as nice as the new one, and I'm suspicious of him only being 21bux.

As far as I'm aware they haven't said he's limited edition or exclusive, so I'd expect to see it available on it's own, or a variant of it, shortly.

Edit: Also, that Knight has his blast shield on upside down. And the highlighting is poo poo.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

The death's head is used by a lot more people than just the SS, though. I wouldn't have known that that particular one was the one used by the SS until after I clicked your condescending link.

But yeah, that's pretty vile now that it's in context.

On those dataslates, I'm going to start vomiting so hard if dataslate special rules are how they finally fix deep strikers not being able to do more than shoot and hold their dicks. Sure, those guys can't assault from deep strike but I can see that coming now that they've established a quasi-precedent.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

JerryLee posted:

The death's head is used by a lot more people than just the SS, though. I wouldn't have known that that particular one was the one used by the SS until after I clicked your condescending link.

But yeah, that's pretty vile now that it's in context.

I just wanted to Google that for everyone, Mr. Sensitive!

edit: Fixed the link

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
This is the most clueless super excited 30k guy. I can't stop laughing.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

JerryLee posted:

You should know all the recognisable symbols of fascism so that you know when to be offended.

I would have had no idea as well. Makes me wonder how many other closet nazis I have played. It should be something you discuss with your opponent before a game.

"how many points? Also, where do you stand on the superiority of the white race?"

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Raphus C posted:

"how many points? Also, where do you stand on the superiority of the white race?"
"Eh, they have good Heavy Support choices." :burger:

I'm working on Fateweaver, and I want to set him up so that I can swap his second head out for a piece of armor, some scrolls, some fur - still hammering out the idea - and just run him as a Lord of Change when I feel like it. I've not worked with magnets much, and the ones I have are pretty potent. Is glue going to be enough to keep the magnets from ripping out, or do I want to look at some other method (Green Stuff, perhaps?) of securing them to the parts of the modl?

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

JerryLee posted:

On those dataslates, I'm going to start vomiting so hard if dataslate special rules are how they finally fix deep strikers not being able to do more than shoot and hold their dicks. Sure, those guys can't assault from deep strike but I can see that coming now that they've established a quasi-precedent.

It seems pretty clear that they're not going allow assault from deep strike. Any one that could do it in 5th (vanguard vets, daemons) got the ability taken away in 6th.

And since the ability to assault from reserve/outflank and from stationary vehicles got rolled back it seems very unlikely that they'll add the ability to assault from DS to anyone.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Cataphract posted:

It seems pretty clear that they're not going allow assault from deep strike. Any one that could do it in 5th (vanguard vets, daemons) got the ability taken away in 6th.

And since the ability to assault from reserve/outflank and from stationary vehicles got rolled back it seems very unlikely that they'll add the ability to assault from DS to anyone.

I know you're a pretty GW-positive person in these threads, relatively speaking anyway, so I'm not surprised, but you have much more faith in them than me if you think that adding the ability back in via charging $6 for the rules of a "Tyrannic War Vanguard Veterans" or some poo poo is something they would not do.

That's not to say they will do it, the roulette wheel at GW HQ might never land that way, but if they do get the bug in their ear to do it, I don't see what about their recent actions would give you the idea that any sort of logical consistency or game design principles will be a barrier to them doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah but that's a skull with a snake. You can see it's two little eyes on the right part of the skull.

Does no one else see that? The figure in question. It's a little snake.

Like here's another front view. It's totally a snake.

http://www.frontlinegaming.org/portfolio-items/imperial-knights/

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 1, 2014

• Locked thread