Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
There are only 3 butchers in town to custom cut your thickness but the quality is hit and miss or super expensive. I'm in Asia and beef in general is more expensive and not as tasty as pork/chicken :smith: Even the fancier steakhouses just go straight for Australian or USDA Prime. Well there's Japanese beef but they love their steaks razor thin mixed with weird sauces :barf: And it's super duper expensive :qq:

I wish there's a costco here :negative: Oh well, at least it's easy to get good sushi and Thai/Malay. But who cares about fish in this thread, unless it's an ahi tuna steak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

BraveUlysses posted:

My main gripe is that it's hard to get access to the high quality meats that steakhouses (and restaurants in general) get.

Costco generally has USDA Prime cuts for a reasonable price. You can also get the whole side of beef and age that in your house :getin:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I wish I have a camera but I've been having a ton of success with the strangest thing, I have this very small probably around 8 inches around Stainless Steel pan, not Cast Iron. I put a little bit a oil in it and just wait for it to start smoking. I usely use a Ribeye. I dry and let my steak rest for like 30 minutes , I season it twice with salt, then a good amount of pepper, a little Cayenne.

Takes usually 2 minutes a side, I would say half a inch to 3/4 inch thick steaks.

Now here's my question. I've gotten way better results with just a little oil, then add some butter when I flip it. Great crusts etc.. Why though?

My ovens not that great, is it the small pan size? It's a pretty thick little pan. I've cooked steak in a larger cast iron pan but it's never came out as good? Why is that?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Hollismason posted:

Now here's my question. I've gotten way better results with just a little oil, then add some butter when I flip it. Great crusts etc.. Why though?
Are you sure the browning of the butter isn't making you think the crust is better? The scallop illusion.

If I were you I'd flip more often. Like every thirty seconds. See how you like it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Also don't add the butter until just before pulling the steak from the pan.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I don't think its the butter doing it, I usually hit it with butter and a few garlic cloves right before I'm going to remove it. The steaks are already coming out fine when I cook them. I'm just curious about why this small pan is better?

I'm just curious as to why this small weird pan is getting me better results than my normal cast iron? My steaks don't have a lot of room in the pan is that possible that it's just getting more heat?

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 13, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hollismason posted:

I don't think its the butter doing it, I usually hit it with butter and a few garlic cloves right before I'm going to remove it. The steaks are already coming out fine when I cook them. I'm just curious about why this small pan is better?

I'm just curious as to why this small weird pan is getting me better results than my normal cast iron? My steaks don't have a lot of room in the pan is that possible that it's just getting more heat?

Cast iron can have an uneven heat distribution up until it becomes fully heated through, if you're using a stovetop. Fully heated, not just smoking hot in places. You could check.

Stainless steel tends to just let heat flow through. It's hotter initially more quickly.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Shadowhand00 posted:

Costco generally has USDA Prime cuts for a reasonable price. You can also get the whole side of beef and age that in your house :getin:
Costco's USDA Prime Ribeyes are loving amazing. I've cooked them every possible way, but the best results are always from a charcoal grill for me. I season them with salt+pepper right before they go on the grill (after coming up to room temp), but an hour before that, I season the fat ring with extra salt to dry it out a bit.

A few weeks ago I decided to make use of by membership bonus and went an hour before the general opening. I picked up 2 super thick rib eye roasts that weighed about 3 pounds each.

Also a full tenderloin (trimmed or not) is a really good deal there too. My wife and I portioned the last one out into 12 filets and they lasted for a long time.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think flap meat is now my favorite cut of meat, even over ribeye. Maybe even more flavor and can be eaten rare as gently caress.

I may be overexcited because the stuff I got was particularly good.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 16, 2014

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Drifter posted:

Cast iron can have an uneven heat distribution up until it becomes fully heated through, if you're using a stovetop.

This is why I always throw my cast iron in a 400+ degree oven for a while before I cook steak on the stovetop. Make sure there's no cold spots and the pan has a lot of thermal energy in it.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I live in an apartment with no access to a grill but I crave the steak. I was thinking about doing a yogurt garlic marinade and then searing it or baking it.

I may have a skillet, but I may just have a cheapo nonstick pan from IKEA so my options are limited here.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Follow any of the several posts about how to cook a steak in a cast iron skillet and it'll be 10x better than what you're planning on doing.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Guess I need to get a cast iron skillet :(

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I live in an apartment with no access to a grill but I crave the steak. I was thinking about doing a yogurt garlic marinade and then searing it or baking it.

I may have a skillet, but I may just have a cheapo nonstick pan from IKEA so my options are limited here.

Do Not Bake A Steak Please.

If you have an oven with a decent broiler and an oven-safe pan that isn't teflon (and if you do not have that second thing, get one) you could always broil, though? London Broil can scratch that meat-itch, you can keep it nice and medium-rare, and if you gently caress it up or if your oven turns out to suck, you didn't waste a super-expensive cut of beef.

Edit: Actually, I honestly think a yogurt-garlic marinade also is probably a bad idea. I'm pretty sure yogurt is to tenderize tougher meats and then get cooked quickly on a grill or over charcoal on a stick or in a tandoor. You don't want it for a steak unless you intend to cut that steak into chunks and then kabob them and at that point it's not really a steak anymore, is it? Kabob actually might be easier than steak for you.

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 20, 2014

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Guess I need to get a cast iron skillet :(

You can even do it with a stainless steel pan, just not a nonstick.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Doh004 posted:

What, you've never seared a steak on low heat? Pfff. Casual.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Doh004 posted:

I'm pretty sure I have a stainless steel pan. I guess I'll just do a regular old marinade or something and cut it into steak tips.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Out of curiosity, what do people use to sear their steaks, fat-wise? I'm cooking sous vide and I normally put a little oil in the pan first but I'm running into smoke points pretty hard.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Falcon2001 posted:

Out of curiosity, what do people use to sear their steaks, fat-wise? I'm cooking sous vide and I normally put a little oil in the pan first but I'm running into smoke points pretty hard.

Thin bit of oil rubbed onto the meat then into the pan. I use a little ghee but will often use bacon fat if I have any around (I have a bottle of safflower oil that I use once in a blue moon). But a lot of the time there's enough marbling in the meat to make me not use oil at all - I just make sure the steak is patted dry before going on.

I think the point of oil is to get better heat transfer to the bits of meat that wouldn't otherwise clearly touch the pan or something. There's really no reason to oil the entire pan for meat that will only be touching a third of the pan.

If you use oil it gets fried brown instead of charred brown, so it actually doesn't need to be as hot - 400f flipping every 10-15 seconds will get an amazing crust and still cook it evenly. When I do no oil I turn the heat way up to get a better initial crust.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 28, 2014

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Drifter posted:

Thin bit of oil rubbed onto the meat then into the pan. I use a little ghee but will often use bacon fat if I have any around (I have a bottle of safflower oil that I use once in a blue moon). But a lot of the time there's enough marbling in the meat to make me not use oil at all - I just make sure the steak is patted dry before going on.

I think the point of oil is to get better heat transfer to the bits of meat that wouldn't otherwise clearly touch the pan or something. There's really no reason to oil the entire pan for meat that will only be touching a third of the pan.

Recently I've just been doing top sirloin steaks which don't have a ton of marbling, and worried about smoke points with other oils I have lying around (sesame, vegetable, canola). I might just go ahead and try it dry next time.

Raveen
Jul 18, 2004
The last few steaks I've made I've used safflower oil and finished with butter,used garlic and rosemary for aromatics and they have been the best steaks I have made. The safflower oil seems to have less taste than other veg oils, so the steak tastes "cleaner". Tonight I'm going to try ghee instead of regular butter.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Falcon2001 posted:

I use peanut oil. It's got one of the highest smoke points. That said, no matter what oil you choose for searing, your pan should always be hot enough to make it smoke like crazy. Get the fans out.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

VERTiG0 posted:

I use peanut oil. It's got one of the highest smoke points. That said, no matter what oil you choose for searing, your pan should always be hot enough to make it smoke like crazy. Get the fans out.

Layout of my apartment means that's not really an option (away from all windows/etc and two smoke alarms between kitchen and them) :\ I'll just go ahead and keep going, they've turned out okay for now and I'll try peanut/safflower.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Falcon2001 posted:

Layout of my apartment means that's not really an option (away from all windows/etc and two smoke alarms between kitchen and them) :\ I'll just go ahead and keep going, they've turned out okay for now and I'll try peanut/safflower.

It's the same where I live but I just disable the smoke alarms and keep the front door open so that there is some form of air circulation.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Smoke alarms either have batteries, or can be unplugged.

(Sometimes both...)

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Smoke alarms either have batteries, or can be unplugged.

(Sometimes both...)

Cheap as hell un-lubed condom stretched over the smoke detector is a great solution for all your smoke-related problems. :chef: :350:

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

Cheap as hell un-lubed condom stretched over the smoke detector is a great solution for all your smoke-related problems. :chef: :350:
Or a shower cap, which can be re-used without creeping out a person rummaging around for a spatula.

"It's not what you think! It's for my meat! Here, let me show you!"

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Or plastic wrap, because EVERYBODY should have a 2000 ft roll, they're only 15bux!

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Or plastic wrap, because EVERYBODY should have a 2000 ft roll, they're only 15bux!

I did this tonight with an elastic. No idea why I didn't think of it before! I did a reverse-sear 2" thick grass-fed t-bone from a local farm. 132 F eating temp after resting.

Is it normal to have an erection the whole time you eat a steak you've just cooked?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

VERTiG0 posted:

Is it normal to have an erection the whole time you eat a steak you've just cooked?

It seems like you need to move from GWS over to the Anime forum or GBS.

Stay away from Pet Island, you don't want to exacerbate your situation.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Drifter posted:

It seems like you need to move from GWS over to the Anime forum or GBS.

Stay away from Pet Island, you don't want to exacerbate your situation.

Thank you for your concern.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
No problem man. Pet Island can get pretty mean sometimes.

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

No Wave posted:

Are you sure the browning of the butter isn't making you think the crust is better? The scallop illusion.

If I were you I'd flip more often. Like every thirty seconds. See how you like it.

The Alan Ducasse method is all about basting with butter while getting a carmelized (though not carbonized) Maillard crust, under medium/low heat with lots of flipping.

If you can't sous vide, Kenji Lopez Alt's reverse sear is pretty cool. It's kind of like that 'put frozen steak in the oven first suggestion' earlier, though you'd have to be crazy to not at least thaw the steak first.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

SecurityDrone posted:

The Alan Ducasse method is all about basting with butter while getting a carmelized (though not carbonized) Maillard crust, under medium/low heat with lots of flipping.

If you can't sous vide, Kenji Lopez Alt's reverse sear is pretty cool. It's kind of like that 'put frozen steak in the oven first suggestion' earlier, though you'd have to be crazy to not at least thaw the steak first.
Ducasse method, destroyer of steaks. No reason to cook in butter at 300 instead of clarified butter at 450.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

SecurityDrone posted:

I did the reverse sear again, but this time the steak had been salted overnight. It was a bit better than the one from last night that was salted for an hour or so.

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 3, 2014

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

No Wave posted:

Ducasse method, destroyer of steaks. No reason to cook in butter at 300 instead of clarified butter at 450.

I don't know, I like to try steaks made in a variety of ways. No one way is the perfect way for me. I've made a really good steak with that method, it just has to be a really big one for it to work without overcooking. If there's a huge grey band around it, you cooked it too hot. But that said I'll totally try the clarified butter and 450, never cooked with clarified butter. Higher smoke point?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

SecurityDrone posted:

I don't know, I like to try steaks made in a variety of ways. No one way is the perfect way for me. I've made a really good steak with that method, it just has to be a really big one for it to work without overcooking. If there's a huge grey band around it, you cooked it too hot. But that said I'll totally try the clarified butter and 450, never cooked with clarified butter. Higher smoke point?
Yeah - in butter the milk solids burn very fast. Clarified butter has a higher smoke point than most vegetable oils. It's my go-to cooking medium. I don't like that it's called ghee in grocery stores because that makes it sound way more exotic than butter to most people and you imagine there's like cumin and poo poo or something in there.

If you've got a huge grey band, you need to flip more, like every 30 seconds, though if we're talking about something really thick reverse-sear is a safer option.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

SecurityDrone posted:

Did you even read the article?

quote:

Then I do something you will consider truly strange: I start by cooking the steak on its narrow side. I want to begin with the rim of fat on the edge, to render it so there is good, flavorful fat in the pan for the rest of the cooking. I'm also browning it so the finished steak will look immensely appetizing when it is served.

I continue to cook the beef on the flat sides, salting first, about 10 minutes on each side. I do not use very high heat, because you get good caramelization in that amount of time. I'm not interested in carbonizing the surface of the meat. To me that ruins the flavor. You must also take care not to pierce the meat, or it will be less juicy. Turn it with tongs or two spoons.

Use tongs to turn steaks onto a flat side, dust with salt and cook until browned on one side. Turn, and cook on second side until somewhat undercooked. Pour off all but a couple of tablespoons of fat, and add butter and crushed garlic. Baste steaks with butter and remaining fat until cooked almost to desired degree of doneness: for medium rare, it will take about 10 minutes on each side.

It's not a lot of flipping and the butter isn't really essential the browning at all. So uh, it's the exact opposite.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Casu Marzu posted:

Did you even read the article?

It's not a lot of flipping and the butter isn't really essential the browning at all. So uh, it's the exact opposite.
It's also a completely nonsensical method that I can't imagine anyone actually has ever used effectively. I mean something has to have gotten lost in translation. Cook a steak in the pan for 40 minutes? Insane. I have no idea why something so stupid continues to get propagated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

It works fine as long as you understand what he's getting at and you have a thickass steak, like 2" or more. I actually do something similar quite often with thick pork chops. Render the fat edge, slowly pan roast each side in the fat until it hits 150F in the middle. Pork is a bit more forgiving for this technique and it comes out with an amazingly lacquered golden crust on each side. But this is really time intensive. It's like 30 minutes in the pan.

Ed: this is a pork chop I did

and a strip steak

and a strip that miche did

Basically if you're a competent cook, it turns out great.

I don't do it all the time, but I wouldn't write off the technique completley.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 4, 2014

• Locked thread