Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
American consumers have no reason to care about chip and pin because we're not held liable for fraudulent transactions for either debit or credit. The worst that will happen in the very rare case of credit card fraud is the mild inconvenience of waiting for the bank to mail you a new card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Or the bank could gently caress you over like banks do, or in the case of the debit card put a hold on all the money in your account until the hold either passes or fails after a few days. Did I mention that happened to me once? It happened to me once. Some guy tried to use my debit card number to buy eight hundred loving dollars worth of condoms. The transaction didn't go through, but it still put a hold on $800 in my account. I called the bank and "there is nothing we can do", I contacted the condom company (they were a pretty cool small business actually) and they said that it hadn't actually registered in their system at all. But i was still unable to use $800 for a few days which sucked.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Years a country was last subordinate to another:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Shouldn't Turkey either be none or some year in the 1920s when Allied troops finally all left (not sure if it was 1920 or 21 off the top of my head). The Ottoman Empire /= Turkey.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
So nobody occupied the UK in 1707?

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
And Bulgaria was not a Soviet satelite until 1991?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
It seems to think the Czech Republic was the successor state to Czechoslovakia, and Slovakia was under its heel or something

Golbez fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 1, 2014

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

karl fungus posted:

So nobody occupied the UK in 1707?

No outside country, no.

England and Scotland were seperate kingdoms and a country can't exactly be subordinate to itself. When they joined together they formed the United Kindom of Great Britain.

The Kingdoms of the United Kingdom and the Kingdom of Ireland united in 1801 and the country became the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. In 1922 most of the Irish counties seceded and in 1927 the name was changed to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

It's a legal grey area because the three countries merged through the union of Kingdoms, not through outright annexation. One could make the point that as Wales was actually annexed by the Kingdom of England in 1542 then they are still subservient to the Kingdom of England, who in turn have been united into the Kingdom of Great Britain who in turn are in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Having the 1707 on the UK is stupid as the UK has never been subordinate to another country, only its predecessor states have.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
That doesn't make any sense at all. Going by that logic, the Mongols didn't occupy Turkey in the 13th century because Turkey didn't exist. And yet somehow the map claims Turkey as-is was under Mongol control but it doesn't do the same for the UK?

EDIT: For the map to be internally consistent, England would have fallen under Norman control in 1066 and the Normans never really left. :smug:

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 1, 2014

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Deltasquid posted:

That doesn't make any sense at all. Going by that logic, the Mongols didn't occupy Turkey in the 13th century because Turkey didn't exist. And yet somehow the map claims Turkey as-is was under Mongol control but it doesn't do the same for the UK?

Same for Russia.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Patter Song posted:

Shouldn't Turkey either be none or some year in the 1920s when Allied troops finally all left (not sure if it was 1920 or 21 off the top of my head). The Ottoman Empire /= Turkey.

Maybe. Allied troops weren't there for long at all before Ataturk did his thing. Not sure if that should count or not.

And were Syria and Jordan really subordinate to Egypt under Nasser? I believe they were considered to be part of the same country, but I thought in practice power was still held locally.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
That is truly a politically loaded map, showing Greenland in grey.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
That map makes no sense, somehow Germany remained subjugated until 1991, but Poland stopped being subjugated in 1945? Pretty much every date on there can be contested on grounds of absolutely inconsistently applied criteria.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

Count Roland posted:

Maybe. Allied troops weren't there for long at all before Ataturk did his thing. Not sure if that should count or not.

And were Syria and Jordan really subordinate to Egypt under Nasser? I believe they were considered to be part of the same country, but I thought in practice power was still held locally.

Syria and Egypt formed the United Arab Republic and it was anything but fair. Power was decentralised but Nasser was in charge. Officially though they were one country; however when they split Egypt continued as the UAR and Syria reverted back to their own country (and membership of the UN as Syria) so the map actually seems accurate on that one.

Jordan and Iraq formed the Arab Federation which like the UK was a union of two Kingdoms. When it was dissolved both countries reverted back to their old names and UN memberships without a successor state, so the map is accurate in having the Arab Federation over Jordan. If the US wasn't on Iraq they should be Arab Federation as well, and if Egypt was included they should be UAR.

It's got some problems but it's an interesting map!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The United Arab Republic was such a drat weird thing.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

steinrokkan posted:

That map makes no sense, somehow Germany remained subjugated until 1991, but Poland stopped being subjugated in 1945? Pretty much every date on there can be contested on grounds of absolutely inconsistently applied criteria.

Berlin at least was controlled directly by the Allied Powers until 1990 and was never formally a part of West Germany. Poland however was a sovereign state.

West Berlin was politically free but legally occupied, Poland was legally free but politically occupied.

However if thats the reason for putting 1991 on all of Germany its stupid.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Grand Fromage posted:

The United Arab Republic was such a drat weird thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federation_of_Arab_Republics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_Islamic_Republic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Arab_States

:cryingnasser:

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 1, 2014

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Also Portugal apparently was subjugated by France?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Deltasquid posted:

EDIT: For the map to be internally consistent, England would have fallen under Norman control in 1066 and the Normans never really left. :smug:

Yeah England should be 1066, Scotland 1707.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Camoes posted:

Also Portugal apparently was subjugated by France?

Oui
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peninsular_War

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Shouldn't England be 1603 for that map to make any sense? Since that was when it came under personal union under a Scottish Monarch, if personal unions doesn't count Sweden's date shouldn't be 1523 since Sweden was in a personal union with Denmark.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Lord Tywin posted:

Shouldn't England be 1603 for that map to make any sense? Since that was when it came under personal union under a Scottish Monarch, if personal unions doesn't count Sweden's date shouldn't be 1523 since Sweden was in a personal union with Denmark.

The current United Kingdom didn't exist till 1707 is the reasoning

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

But France only invaded and destroyed a bunch of stuff, they never stayed or controlled anything.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
You Go Slavia!

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Camoes posted:

But France only invaded and destroyed a bunch of stuff, they never stayed or controlled anything.

They invaded Lisbon and kicked out the royal family and had armies stationed there and created a puppet government, that counts for me, efficacy or totality of military control notwithstanding.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

Camoes posted:

Occupied from October/November 1807 to June 1808 at least (Portugese uprisings), with British intervention in August 1808 kicking off the Peninsular War proper and expelling French forces within a matter of months. The Portugese Court fled Lisbon in November 1807 for Brazil, where interestingly they made Brazil an equal partner in a Portugese/Brazillian union (the only time, to my knowledge, this has happened with a country and its colony) and ran that "country" from Rio De Janeiro.

Once British forces expelled the French administrators trying to run Portugal (something the Portugese civil servants refused to let them do; France collected such little tax from Portugal they couldn't even pay their own occupying army, let alone send anything back to France) the Portugese took over with instructions from Rio.

Rio De Janeiro actually remained capital of Portugal until Brazils independence in 1822... maybe we should change Portugal to Brazil, 1822 on the map!

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

duckmaster posted:

interestingly they made Brazil an equal partner in a Portugese/Brazillian union (the only time, to my knowledge, this has happened with a country and its colony)

Salazar tried to use that rhetoric during the Colonial Wars, arguing that Portugal's colonies were provinces on an equal standing with metropolitan Portugal, and thus the UN's decolonisation drive shouldn't apply to them. The Africans didn't quite buy it.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Ras Het posted:

Salazar tried to use that rhetoric during the Colonial Wars, arguing that Portugal's colonies were provinces on an equal standing with metropolitan Portugal, and thus the UN's decolonisation drive shouldn't apply to them. The Africans didn't quite buy it.

I'm sure this has been posted before but whatever it's still hilarious

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
What's that wedged between Guinea and Mozambique?

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Golbez posted:

What's that wedged between Guinea and Mozambique?

Looks like it's [East] Timor.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Deltasquid posted:

The UK was never subservient to Normandy, just the Normans. By their logic it ought to fall under the Roman Empire though.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

duckmaster posted:

The Portugese Court fled Lisbon in November 1807 for Brazil, where interestingly they made Brazil an equal partner in a Portugese/Brazillian union (the only time, to my knowledge, this has happened with a country and its colony) and ran that "country" from Rio De Janeiro.

The French directly incorporated Algeria as part of Metropolitan France rather than as a colony, and later did the same for French Guiana etc.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If the UK is the successor state to the Kingdom of England, it should say 1688. Dutch people straight up invaded that island with an army and made themselves rulers. That's not a :smug: , that's what happened.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The entire history of Great Britain is basically foreigners doing whatever the gently caress they want with it and then settling in to be the next bitches of whoever comes in.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Were the first Hanoverian kings of the UK still technically vassals of the HRE? Or was that after it's dissolution already?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Torrannor posted:

Were the first Hanoverian kings of the UK still technically vassals of the HRE? Or was that after it's dissolution already?
Vassals in their capacity as ruler of Hannover, not vassals as King of (the United Kingdom of) Great Britain and Ireland. Much like the Danish king was a vassal of the HRE in his capacity as ruler of Schleswig-Holstein, but not as King of Denmark.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Vassals in their capacity as ruler of Hannover, not vassals as King of (the United Kingdom of) Great Britain and Ireland. Much like the Danish king was a vassal of the HRE in his capacity as ruler of Schleswig-Holstein, but not as King of Denmark.
Brandenburg-Prussia has the weirdest thing with that half-in-half-out HRE deal. Legally, only three kingly titles were allowed in the HRE- King of the Germans, King of the Romans and King of Bohemia- but the electors of Brandenburg, a subject of the HRE, had inherited the Duchy of Prussia, which lay outside the HRE, back in the early 17th century.

In 1701 the ruler of Brandenburg-Prussia considered himself so rad that he wanted to be elevated to king, and argued to the Holy Roman Emperor that since Prussia was outside of the HRE, he could be recognized as king there. Thus, from 1701 to 1772, Prussian kings were called the "king in Prussia" just to get around HRE laws with a technicality.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

cheerfullydrab posted:

If the UK is the successor state to the Kingdom of England, it should say 1688. Dutch people straight up invaded that island with an army and made themselves rulers. That's not a :smug: , that's what happened.

Eh, given that the invasion came at the invitation of prominent English parliamentarians and led to the Stadtholder upping sticks and moving to London, and treaties which subordinated the Dutch fleet to the English one regardless of rank in the event of any allied joint actions, I'm not sure you could say that the Glorious Revolution subordinated England to the Netherlands, indeed you might even say it ended up the other way around in the long run.. And it wasn't really that the Dutch invaded and made themselves (plural) rulers, the Dutch invaded and the English parliament made a Dutch guy king (and only alongside his English wife, and even then only because the Dutch guy with the army was threatening to go home and it was the only way to stop him from leaving), but in the process true rulership of the country passed from the Monarch to Parliament at this point, which was mostly crewed by folks from England, though a small number of the King's Dutch friends got English peerages.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Koramei posted:

The UK was never subservient to Normandy, just the Normans. By their logic it ought to fall under the Roman Empire though.

not all of great britain was conquered by the romans :scotland:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
True, but neither all of Turkey nor all of Russia were ever entirely under control of the Mongols either.