Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

That would require the nationalism to be perceived as problem to the Japanese viewers.

And that all the slanderous statements from the Chinese, Koreans, and Southeast Asia about Japanese wartime atrocities against humanity are actually true and is one of the reasons why they're not always cooperative with the Japanese which feed on their perception that the rest of Asia and perhaps the rest of the world want to take out the glorious nation of Nippon. :japan:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

WickedHate posted:

The incest niche appeals to a lot of people too, but I'm sure that alone wouldn't blind people to the nationalist elements, if they existed.

Please never stop posting, dude.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

That would require the nationalism to be perceived as problem to the Japanese viewers.

For some strange reason, the vast majority of Japanese anime fans have absolutely no concerns about nationalism or racism as an issue.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

WickedHate posted:

It's one of the most popular of it's season, next to Stardust Crusaders.

Current sales estimates are something like

Love Live s2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sidonia >> Haikyuu >> Jojo/Mahouka

But they wont solidify for a few weeks.

It would be surprising if anything but Love Live outsells Jojo.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

pentyne posted:

For some strange reason, the vast majority of Japanese anime fans have absolutely no concerns about nationalism or racism as an issue.

The vast majority of japanese people dont care because this political views have been with them since the formations of their first post war political parties. Look at the parties right now and something like 3/4 of them have japanese nationalism as one of their major tenant.

This wouldnt be that bad if it was older school nationalism, but the neocons in japan have been getting progressively more brash with their attempts to white wash the actions in the war, re-instate japan to full military strength and generally antagonize korea and china every time they can.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Chillyrabbit posted:

Ultimately I never really saw the ultra nationalistic agenda, but I did see the "rich poor" contrast. And it did make it groan and go "oh loving poo poo not this again".

From what I understand, that mostly shows up later in the light novels once it's revealed that all the bad guys are actually representing China/Russia/wherever.

edit: Basically this show is like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare except with magic instead of M16s.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
This poo poo sounds like Sword of Truth the anime.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Forgall posted:

This poo poo sounds like Sword of Truth the anime.

Some of the terrorists came at them not with weapons, but with their hatred of moral clarity.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I swear, Satou must have one of those squishy rear end mousepads, custom-made in Tatsuya's likeness.

Some highlights of this episode: "Here is my secret, which I am not obliged to reveal to you and that I only appeared to tell you about. If you keep it, I'll do whatever you ask!"

"What is Silver like? Perhaps he is some brilliant, handsome japanese teen who is actually awesome at magic regardless of what the education system says. He might even be standing in front of you right this second, wink wink (the winks being verbalized rather than actual winks)."

"That wasn't actually anything special." "To the contrary, it was the most amazing thing I have ever seen and you should prostrate yourselves before this god made flesh. His typing a bunch of random letters really fast was so moving that I simultaneously ejaculated and defecated"

"Wow, you solved the unsolvable problem which had never been mentioned prior to this afternoon from our basement. Those filthy gaijin could never have done that, because they lack elementary understanding of magic for some reason."

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Serious Frolicking posted:

I swear, Satou must have one of those squishy rear end mousepads, custom-made in Tatsuya's likeness.

Some highlights of this episode: "Here is my secret, which I am not obliged to reveal to you and that I only appeared to tell you about. If you keep it, I'll do whatever you ask!"

"What is Silver like? Perhaps he is some brilliant, handsome japanese teen who is actually awesome at magic regardless of what the education system says. He might even be standing in front of you right this second, wink wink (the winks being verbalized rather than actual winks)."

"That wasn't actually anything special." "To the contrary, it was the most amazing thing I have ever seen and you should prostrate yourselves before this god made flesh. His typing a bunch of random letters really fast was so moving that I simultaneously ejaculated and defecated"

"Wow, you solved the unsolvable problem which had never been mentioned prior to this afternoon from our basement. Those filthy gaijin could never have done that, because they lack elementary understanding of magic for some reason."

Yeah that was just plain ridiculous, all these episodes have done so far is build up how ridiculously OP he is where as most shows that have a OP MC just give like a 5 minute snippet of the MC's Power.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Finally was able to get around to watching the last episode last night. I like the new character, and the scene between Tatsuya and Miyuki at the end was cute.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 28, 2014

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

"Once again you achieve the impossible, onii-sama! :fap:"... It never stops, does it?

E: with luck Erika will get more screentime (preferably not drooling over Tatsuya's accomplishments) to make up for what Tatsuya and Miyuki are lacking. Seriously, why does everyone in anime with ice powers have to have 'yuki' in their name? It means snow, we get it, it was clever the first couple of times but for once can someone's powers not be advertised in their name?

HiveCommander fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 28, 2014

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Nothing to add except I'm regularly watching this now out of my own fascination with nutty worldviews while still holding off on actually good anime like Ping Pong or Jojo. I think I may have a problem. :suspense:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
We are all waiting eagerly for you to become the next head of the family, emotionally unstable girl who automatically tries to murder everyone around her when someone says something good or bad about her brother.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The butler was too moustache twirlingly dickish to take seriously.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

We are all waiting eagerly for you to become the next head of the family, emotionally unstable girl who automatically tries to murder everyone around her when someone says something good or bad about her brother.

Well, who would you pick? A sensible and well-functioning fellow? Get outta here.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Wark Say posted:

Well, who would you pick? A sensible and well-functioning fellow? Get outta here.

Tatsuya isn't even in the running, because he is kind of a slave bodyguard. That's silly, but at least it isn't because he is too awesome (for once). I think the other candidates are a few cousins who appeared briefly. The funny part is that Maya Yotsuba is not an old woman and she does not have poor health. Why does the official heir matter that much if it is likely to be another 20-50 years before they take over anyway? Oh right, so they can slight our beloved divine block of wood to contrast with the fact that he effectively runs his father's company. He isn't ridiculously privileged because a butler was rude to him! A butler who is somehow the #4 in the entire clan despite the fact that he is a) a butler and b) following the dad around even though he is most definitely not important to the clan.

Edit: Numbers 5-10 are obviously the chauffeur, the gardener, the sommelier, a different maid each week chosen at random, the butler's pet goldfish, and then finally whoever they put in charge of their slave bodyguard breeding program. That last one is actually a thing that exists.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 1, 2014

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Tatsuya isn't even in the running, because he is kind of a slave bodyguard. That's silly, but at least it isn't because he is too awesome (for once). I think the other candidates are a few cousins who appeared briefly. The funny part is that Maya Yotsuba is not an old woman and she does not have poor health. Why does the official heir matter that much if it is likely to be another 20-50 years before they take over anyway?

Well accidents happen and you would want to set a clear line of succession plus you would want to train them to be the head of family by exposing them to how it works.

But you know got to straw man insult our lovely block of wood.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Unsurprisingly, the entire Yotsuba family seems to exist to be dicks to Our Hero.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
So apparently our hero has already made an invention that could "revolutionize" magic or something (now people can float and change direction!) Is there any reason at all he isn't just marketing it and making a fortune to dwarf his aristocratic rear end in a top hat family since this is such a Free Market Utopia of a setting?

We are all waiting eagerly for you to become the next head of the family, emotionally unstable girl who automatically tries to murder everyone around her

For a second I thought you were referring to my username :xd:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Harime Nui posted:

So apparently our hero has already made an invention that could "revolutionize" magic or something (now people can float and change direction!) Is there any reason at all he isn't just marketing it and making a fortune to dwarf his aristocratic rear end in a top hat family since this is such a Free Market Utopia of a setting?

I haven't seen the two most recent episodes yet but in light of all the Atlas Shrugged jokes I just can't help but laugh like hell after seeing that plot development typed out.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Harime Nui posted:

For a second I thought you were referring to my username :xd:

He is developing it through a company his father runs (in theory- guy is pretty useless). So, it will make lots of money. For the yotsuba clan, that is. If Tatsuya tried to leave the clan, he would be assassinated. If he tried to defect to another country, he would be dissected. Tatsuya is a tool, in multiple senses. But before you start feeling sorry for the poor little invincible god, remember that he is perfectly content with his life. Tatsuya can do as he pleases and utilize the protection and resources of his clan on his terms. He is a slave bodyguard for life, but his master is utterly subservient to him. The only person with a problem with Tatsuya's situation is his sister, and she wouldn't be content unless he ruled unchallenged over all mankind (because she is insane).

You have to remember, this isn't really objectivist. For objectivists, becoming nouveau rich is essentially the pinnacle of human achievement. The worship of wealth alone doesn't distinguish between new and old money. This setting is mostly a thin justification for why wealthy influential families are just plain better than everyone else. In other words, it is about reverence for influence, not just money. In reality, people use money and connections to stay on top. Here, the people born into families like that are naturally superior due to inherited magic talent.

On that subject, Tatsuya wasn't born a mage but his mother rejiggered his brain until he could use some magic (which is just coincidentally horribly overpowered unique magic, fancy that). That is why the #4 of the yotsuba clan butler (seriously, what the hell?) looked down on him, because he wasn't a real mage. Oh but wait, this isn't Mx0 and the protagonist doesn't have to make up for an inability to do magic using his other talents. Tatsuya is still the best at magic, science, fighting, etc. He wasn't born a mage, but he has been a mage for the entire series and he still has every advantage of being a mage from a wealthy family. As for why that meant he had to become a slave bodyguard and looked down on by such lofty figures as a random butler, I have no idea.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
So Tatsuya is like the ultimate power bottom, got it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

You have to remember, this isn't really objectivist. For objectivists, becoming nouveau rich is essentially the pinnacle of human achievement. The worship of wealth alone doesn't distinguish between new and old money. This setting is mostly a thin justification for why wealthy influential families are just plain better than everyone else. In other words, it is about reverence for influence, not just money. In reality, people use money and connections to stay on top. Here, the people born into families like that are naturally superior due to inherited magic talent.

But (A) the old wealthy family are the bad guys and (B) Tatsuya wasn't born a mage.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WickedHate posted:

But (A) the old wealthy family are the bad guys and (B) Tatsuya wasn't born a mage.

In this setting that's sort of like if you had a show/movie with a bunch of evil arabs and one good arab who helps out the good guys and claimed it wasn't terribly racist against arabs because of the single good one. The message/stereotype can still exist even if it isn't always followed 100% and exceptions exist.

(I haven't seen the most recent couple episodes so I can't say for sure whether the message is still "elite magic families are superior"; I'm just pointing out that your logic of "but that stereotype isn't always followed 100%" isn't really sufficient to claim that the stereotype/message doesn't exist.)

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 1, 2014

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

In this setting that's sort of like if you had a show/movie with a bunch of evil arabs and one good arab who helps out the good guys and claimed it wasn't terribly racist against arabs because of the single good one. The message/stereotype can still exist even if it isn't always followed 100% and exceptions exist.

Tatsuya is a powerful mage from a powerful mage family. He received his magic from his mother. The slight difference from the normal process doesn't change the end result in any way. Also, while the yotsuba are frequently outright villainous, they aren't the villain in this story. That's left up to foreigners and to a lesser extent, demons. I mean gently caress, they have a bunch of genetic material stored that they use to make slave bodyguards. I wasn't joking about the slave part. They are literally property of the clan for their entire lives. That is supposedly Tatsuya's position, but as anyone can see he can do as he pleases so long as it isn't interacting with a girl in front of his psychotic sister. And yet the yotsuba clan with their secret labs, slaves, human experiments and assassination squads isn't the villain.

See if you can guess just how much this bothers Tatsuya and Miyuki. Go on, guess.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
e: ^ ^ ^ :lol: guess not

From what it sounds like, the problem is that Tatsuya's family are badguys because they treated him badly and they're just particularly nasty people. The setting that allows them and the other rich families to flout the law and hoard power isn't treated as a problem per se.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
But remember, the reason why maya yotsuba is so gosh darn mean is because of those nefarious chinese and their rapey ways. That is also why they implemented the slave bodyguard system. I mean sure, they had private death squads beforehand but those were probably just in case.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Also lol that Japan in 2100 is somewhere between Japan in 1900 and Saudi Arabia in terms of womens' decency.

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011
Nah. The superpowers Gary Stu has? They're inbuilt. He was born with them.

The problem his family had with him is that the power to blow up the world and/or fix it doesn't fit in with their ~master magician plan~. So his mother hosed with his head and now he can do simple poo poo really really really fast, but nothing above simple poo poo. So he's still viewed as a failure by them even though his Aunt is regarded as quite literally one of, if not the, strongest mages in the setting because her powers focus on loving light of all things so she can kill people before they even realise it - and of course Gary Stu can completely counter her because of the powers he was born with.

In short, the Yotsuba are dumb because they are dumb.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Harime Nui posted:

this is such a Free Market Utopia of a setting?
As I've said before, this idea seems like a major case of tunnel vision where people see one detail (very wealthy families control a lot of power) and ignore others (state conscription, what seems like a highly regimented society in general). Wealthy families wielding huge amounts of power predates capitalism and ideas about the free market, and persists even in non-capitalist states.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
You're right it's not actually a free market setting at all. It's in favor of an unbreakable eugenicized aristocracy, even better! :v:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Basically the author thinks "No no, the poo poo that happened in Bioshock is wonderful and a sign of resounding success within society."

Oh hey speaking of which, what's crime like in this setting?

VV Oh that's really good. That's so wonderfully naive. Crime is just magically eradicated and society has united together against a foreign threat. After all, at times like this, there's no way countrymen would try to screw their fellow men over, right? :jerkbag:

Yes they totally would it is the prefect time for illicit businesses to prosper holy poo poo did the author never open a history book?

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 2, 2014

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

Basically the author thinks "No no, the poo poo that happened in Bioshock is wonderful and a sign of resounding success within society."

Oh hey speaking of which, what's crime like in this setting?

The only criminals who have even been mentioned are foreigners. Other than the chinese mafia who are behind most of the conflicts, crime really isn't much of a focus even though there are some minor characters in the police.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The only criminals who have even been mentioned are foreigners.

Though backed by the Chinese, the terrorists in the last arc are all Japanese.

SSNeoman posted:

There is nothing even vaguely like that in the show.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

WickedHate posted:

There is nothing even vaguely like that in the show.

Not yet, but it's in the backstory. Just a few posts above we had genesplicing and a Big Daddy scenario with Tatsuya.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SSNeoman posted:

Not yet, but it's in the backstory. Just a few posts above we had genesplicing and a Big Daddy scenario with Tatsuya.

By the bad guys.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

WickedHate posted:

By the bad guys.

No, the bad guys are the foreigners. The Yotsuba family are supposed to be the morally grey third party in this conflict. What they do is awful, but "justified" by the crimes the foreigners committed.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The thing isn't that the system is broken because it lets a bunch of morally bankrupt wizard-aristocrats virtually dictate how the system works and keep people who didn't win the genetic lottery as permanent second-class citizens, it's that they're not letting Tatsuya run the show when he's so obviously better and superior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SSNeoman posted:

No, the bad guys are the foreigners. The Yotsuba family are supposed to be the morally grey third party in this conflict. What they do is awful, but "justified" by the crimes the foreigners committed.

SSNeoman posted:

The aunt's menacingly appearing in the shadows at mentions of her disagrees.

• Locked thread